The Spike VGX Awards Summed Up in One Photo

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Muckraker18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Muckraker18
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Can we please never do this again? I thought the awards were honestly better than in previous years with more focus on the developers. But... the terrible hosting just dragged it right back down.

Source: http://n4g.com/news/1408791/the-spike-vgx-awards-summed-up-in-one-photo

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Joel McHale not giving a **** was the only thing that made the awards somewhat watchable

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

@JML897 said:

Joel McHale not giving a **** was the only thing that made the awards somewhat watchable

Yes. a guy actively wasting your time was worth your while. Amazing case of stockholm syndrome right here.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

@JML897 said:

Yes. a guy actively wasting your time was worth your while. Amazing case of stockholm syndrome right here.

Any show that gives screentime to guys like Pewdiepie is asking to be mocked. The blame should fall on whoever organized this trainwreck.

Shatilov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Shatilov
Member since 2005 • 4150 Posts

I actually didnt like this year show, I think they knew they didnt have any announcement inorder to make a full award show, so they made this small talk show, and sent the awards earlier to the Winners, what was the new games that were announced ?

World premier for Witcher 3 , Titan Fall, Destiny, Thief, Lara Croft, Remdy Game about time, Tim Shafer (what ever his name) game from kickstarter !!!!! These are all good games, but common, we had already seen info and videos on these games.

The only announced game that was interesting was No Man's Sky, hope it does well.

When compared to last year VGAs we had seen the 2nd "video/game demo" for the Last of Us as its 1st demo was shown in E3 2012, i still remember it, and we also seen 1st time footage for Southpark stick of truth after THQ Closing, and 2 indie titles won GoTY and Original Soundtrack.

They better make next year VGAs alot better. They should make a ceremony like they always do. and not some low made talk show, with a cool wannabe actor "Joel McHale" I have nothing to say for "Geoff Keighley" as he performed good and properly, the other guy was just pure annoyance.

Again I'm saying i hated the show and one of its hosts, and how it was organised, but i still love the games. :)

And i think they did it like this because they didnt have any strong announcements to back it up with. This year for gaming 2013 was weaker than 2012. All that we seen where sequels AC, Batman, CoD, BF, and only 2 new games TLoU and Beyond 2 Souls, and GTA V stands out of the Sequels as its great game on its own.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22369 Posts

Hire 2 hosts who are actual gamers (Geoff is Ok), and it would be watchable.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#7 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Let Geoff host it, it looked like Joel was bored, uninspired and was making bad jokes almost through the entire show

kbaily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 138

#8 kbaily
Member since 2007 • 13042 Posts

I honestly won't be surprised if the VGAs don't return next year. While they did focus more on developers and showing off new games (the only reason anyone bothers watching), the whole thing had a "cheap" feel to it. I remember when they were trying to give this so much pomp and circumstance, as if it was trying to be the equivalent of Video Game Oscars as dumb as that sounds. In just a few years we went from a huge live show with a massive stage and "celebrity" guests, to this little studio giving it more of a talk show feel. Kind of make sense to have Joel McHale host it. Awards were given out ahead of time. So much of it seems like they don't care much anymore. Ratings for the VGAs have gotten lower and lower each year and my guess, they had a scaled back budget. They realized people only watched for the game reveals and to see what they voted for and treated it as such.

I will be really surprised if we have a 2014 VGA.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

I can't decide which one was worse: Dorito Pope or Cardinal Unfunny.

I'm gonna go with Dorito Pope, to piss off S0lid who kisses and gently rubs his picture every morning :P

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I don't get it, people were talking all kinds of crap on it before it even started. I've never watched it before, and seeing all the pre-complaints, didn't bother watching it. Now it seems people are acting surprised it turned out be crap.

ChiefvsGordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 ChiefvsGordon
Member since 2005 • 1085 Posts

two douche bags lol. geoff is the biggest loser of them all. he slangs doritos and mountain dew on the streets.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 43998 Posts

I didn't mind Joel and I think Geoff always does a great job but this show fell pretty flat. I sure hope they return to the VGA format as I find that to be much better.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

I liked the part where he grilled dorito pope

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

It didn't really matter who was hosting it as that would not have changed the fact the games coverage was as about as in depth as a YouTube advert.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

@JML897 said:

Spot on Solid

Jole Mchale is one of the worst actors i have seen and having him host this was a huge kick in the face of "game awards shows"

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

Should have had Zero Punctuation, Jim Sterling & Jeff Gerstmann in there as hosts. At least they'd give a shit and would have a lot more fun with it than Mchale did (Keighley did well though).

I actually have enjoyed a lot of Mchale's comedy but this was just not good.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#17 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Let Adam Sessler and Geoff host this next year. Then you have some legitimate guys hosting it