the Sega Genisis channel

This topic is locked from further discussion.

babenjorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 babenjorge
Member since 2007 • 300 Posts

does anyone remember the Sega channel back in the day. Its where you could play a bunch of games with a monthly subscription.......................ahhh the old days.

i think thats what it was called

skyyfox1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#2 skyyfox1
Member since 2003 • 13015 Posts
was that like a sega online thing? i think i remember something like that. my friend scott had a sega genesis and some games.. we played madden 94 to death on that thing! lol!
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
Gametap for PC is something like that. Only about hundred times better (it already has close to thousand games, a lot of new stuff and lots of oldies, including almost complete NeoGeo library)
Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts
Yah I remember the spoiled kid down the street had it. His parents weren't rich but he was an only child and got whatever he wanted. Kid was alright but could be a real pill sometimes due to him used to getting his way. That kid is probably doing drugs somewhere right now.
strayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 strayzilla
Member since 2004 • 560 Posts
I had it and it was ok. Kinda overwhelming at the time.
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#6 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
This guy remembers. http://www.gamespot.com/users/Garudoh/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-25244125 See his blog for a video.
soulsofblayck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 soulsofblayck
Member since 2006 • 1591 Posts
Yup, only knew two people that had it though. If you think about it, Sega were pretty damn innovative.
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#8 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
Yup, only knew two people that had it though. If you think about it, Sega were pretty damn innovative.soulsofblayck
I agree. Both games on demand via cable and the Dreamcast were ahead of their times.
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts

Yah I remember the spoiled kid down the street had it. His parents weren't rich but he was an only child and got whatever he wanted. Kid was alright but could be a real pill sometimes due to him used to getting his way. That kid is probably doing drugs somewhere right now.Citan76

lol wtf?

Avatar image for YourChaosIsntMe
YourChaosIsntMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 YourChaosIsntMe
Member since 2007 • 1228 Posts
Yes! It was so exciting, in concept. The ads in Sega Vision made The Sega Channel sound like the holy grail. No one ever bought it, though, and that seemed to be the problem, and the reality of maintaining a server and network with revolving roms available through a tele-web connection with 56k at best. I remember Skitchin freezing up at my friends house repeatedly and giving up after half an hour, and Streets of Rage 2 never showing up, because very few third-party titles were available, and I can't remember if saving was even an opition. I agree that Sega have been revolutionary in their business choices and hardware development, though some of their choices have been misguided and horribly received. Sega CD,Saturn, Game Gear, and Dreamcast all sounded good on paper, but inevitably came up short for myriad reasons...
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I agree that Sega have been revolutionary in their business choices and hardware development, though some of their choices have been misguided and horribly received. Sega CD,Saturn, Game Gear, and Dreamcast all sounded good on paper, but inevitably came up short for myriad reasons...YourChaosIsntMe

Sega was always ahead of its time, and I believe that's what killed them. They offered the Sega channel when most people didn't even know what an internet was :) The Sega CD became a crap-tastic FMV machine, since no one knew how to take advantage of the storage. And the Dreamcast was doomed before it released since everyone was already waiting for the PS2. I'll tell you, though, Phantasy Star Online was a magical experience. No matter how great Xbox Live and the PSN become, they will never give me that feeling of community and teamwork that PSO did.

Avatar image for YourChaosIsntMe
YourChaosIsntMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 YourChaosIsntMe
Member since 2007 • 1228 Posts
Indeed the Sega CD became an experiment in FMV futility, but no one can ever deny the perfection of Snatcher. Did it make the $150 price tag worth it? Probably not, but it redeemed the add-on marginally (that is to say if you were misguided enough to purchase it....like my friend...who also bought the Saturn...whom I laughed at after I bought the PSX...)