The reason I hate competitive fighting games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TankBusterJenn (240 posts) -

You'll try to get into fighting games but immediatelly blocked by elitist tournament players who will do anything within their limit to win and don't know how to have fun, which includes crappy infinite combos and retards who abuse ranged characters.

Fighting games are all unbalanced.

#2 Posted by Euaggelistes (1826 posts) -

Read:http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html

#3 Posted by TheLoneMortal (818 posts) -

Euaggelistes

This.

#4 Posted by lensflare15 (6174 posts) -

I dislike playing most fighters online beacause I suck at it. I actually enjoy playing them offline a lot though.

#6 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

You'll try to get into fighting games but immediatelly blocked by elitist tournament players who will do anything within their limit to win and don't know how to have fun, which includes crappy infinite combos and retards who abuse ranged characters.

TankBusterJenn

OK, I think someone needs to be educated on this subject.

First off, the link that the person in the thread gave you? Go and read that.

Second of all, not all fighting games are unbalanced. Street Fighter IV and its incarnations are great examples of fighting games that are balanced. Also, look to Virtua Fighter; I have yet to see a single fighter, from that franchise, fail miserably due to balance issues. Everyone can win against each other if you know your character really well and how to fight as him or her.

Third, "crappy infinite combos and retards who abuse ranged characters?" Here's your biggest problem; you fall into those traps way too many times and you NEVER learn from your mistakes. When you play a fighting game, those "elite" professionals you play against know the game ten times better than you and you will lose. Yes, fighting games are meant to be fun, but when you take on the online community, you are expected to play and win. That's the object of the game; not to have fun. If it was with friends on a local basis that's just shooting the s***, that's one thing. But playing online against others who are serious about winning? Whole new level.

Finally, my final point is this; it is all your fault. Your fault for not getting better and your fault for not being in that mindset to win. To win, you have to be very dedicated at the game, 24/7. It's all on you. Don't blame it on other games that beat the crap out of you. I lose against better players ALL THE TIME and you don't see me complaining, do you?

#7 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

Also, in just about every fighting game I've played, except for the ones that are truly broken, the developer gives you the necessary tools and strategies for you to succeed in most, if not all, fights. If you don't use them well, it's your loss. End of story.

#8 Posted by Madmangamer364 (3586 posts) -

Euaggelistes

I only half agree with that, to be honest. Sure, there are players out there who play within their own mental niche, if you will, find themselves in for a shock when they face the outside world, and struggle to accept it. However, I also understand the TC's point, as you do have your share of elitist players out there that act like jerks when someone comes along that hasn't have the same amount of experience as them, regardless of how that player may actually approach the game. Just because you've lost to such a player doesn't make you a scrub that gets upset when someone takes advantage of your lack of experience in comparison to their's. Likewise, your inexperience shouldn't mean getting insulted because you didn't play fighting games in a more competitive environment, if at all.

I can understand the "play to win" mentality. Heck, I'm a graduate of the "Herm Edwards School of Playing the Game," for crying out loud. I've certainly learned to appreciate the chess-like approach that can come with top-level fighting, and I've been able to take part of a few matches of that kind myself. That said, what I don't care for is this notion that anybody who doesn't play a fighter with a tourney-like mentality deserves to be insulted while playing a video game and that their brand of 'fun' is somehow inferior because they don't know the game up and down like more experienced players.

At the end of the day, if you're investing money into a game, you should be able to enjoy it.

#9 Posted by jsmoke03 (12619 posts) -

TankBusterJenn
so you hate good players? lol
#10 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

TankBusterJenn
you seem to be under the impression that winning cant be a way for someone to have fun. When im winning, im having fun.. simple as that.
#11 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -
Sounds like you're just upset because better players keep beating you.
#12 Posted by Archangel3371 (15266 posts) -

[QUOTE="Euaggelistes"]

TheLoneMortal

This.

I also agree. Read this.
#13 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

[QUOTE="TankBusterJenn"]

Metamania

Second of all, not all fighting games are unbalanced. Street Fighter IV and its incarnations are great examples of fighting games that are balanced. Also, look to Virtua Fighter; I have yet to see a single fighter, from that franchise, fail miserably due to balance issues. Everyone can win against each other if you know your character really well and how to fight as him or her.

Third, "crappy infinite combos and retards who abuse ranged characters?" Here's your biggest problem; you fall into those traps way too many times and you NEVER learn from your mistakes. When you play a fighting game, those "elite" professionals you play against know the game ten times better than you and you will lose. Yes, fighting games are meant to be fun, but when you take on the online community, you are expected to play and win. That's the object of the game; not to have fun. If it was with friends on a local basis that's just shooting the s***, that's one thing. But playing online against others who are serious about winning? Whole new level.

Finally, my final point is this; it is all your fault. Your fault for not getting better and your fault for not being in that mindset to win. To win, you have to be very dedicated at the game, 24/7. It's all on you. Don't blame it on other games that beat the crap out of you. I lose against better players ALL THE TIME and you don't see me complaining, do you?

Hm I have to disagree here. A while ago I tried Soul Calibur V online and also got defeated pretty bad most of the time. But after a while I got me Dead or Alive 5 as well, I spent about the same time with both games Offline as well as Online but in DoA5 I was waaay better and more often than not was able to win my matches. I don't think it's all about being totally dedicated to it, it's more about which game feels more comfortable to you and which has the fighter with the fighting style you can handle best.

#14 Posted by MrGeezer (56042 posts) -
The reason I hate them is because I suck at them.
#15 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="TankBusterJenn"]

Justforvisit

Hm I have to disagree here. A while ago I tried Soul Calibur V online and also got defeated pretty bad most of the time. But after a while I got me Dead or Alive 5 as well, I spent about the same time with both games Offline as well as Online but in DoA5 I was waaay better and more often than not was able to win my matches. I don't think it's all about being totally dedicated to it, it's more about which game feels more comfortable to you and which has the fighter with the fighting style you can handle best.

OK that's a fair argument. Some fighters are meant for some people, but not for others. It's also about how comfortable you can be with it. In the case of the OP, he or she wasn't comfortable with it and definitely wasn't sure what they were getting into. So they get their asses kicked. Big deal. It happens ALL THE TIME. If people cannot possess that mentality, to win, then what's the point? If you want to have fun with your videogame, do it offline or with a group of friends that don't give a damn if they win or lose.

#16 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

Same here. I hate playing fighting games online. People will only choose the most over-powered characters because all they care about is winning.

When playing Naruto Shippuden UNS 2 online, people would only choose either Minato or Sage Mode Naruto. (The two most broken, and over-powered characters in the game. They could spam rasengan like it's no one's business.) I would choose just about any character, it'd be different every time because I like experimenting with different fighting styles. It'd get boring if all you do is exclusively play as one or two characters all the time. I had class, so I never choose the most over-powered characters. But no one else had class, so I gave up.

Soul Calibur V online? Forget it! I think my ranked record was 1 win and 30 losses. Too many people are go-hards and don't care about having fun, only winning.

#17 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Part of improving at any fighter is getting your ass handed to you on a repeat basis.

That is simply the learning process.

The problem is that presently, we have a cluster of people who want to be instant rock stars but can't be bothered to learn from the ground up so instead they blame the game's mechanics or whine that other people are too harsh in their pursuit of victory.

Of course every other online game carries this same win-at-all-costs mentality yet for some reason fighting games are continuously called out for being...too competitive?

My advice to the OP is to pursue another genre of competitive gaming because most of the fighting franchises that enjoy viable online communities are made up of people who have been playing these games for YEARS. They play to win (as they should)and they certainly have no obligation to make the experience fun for some casual player with a bizarre sense of entitlement.

#18 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Justforvisit

DOA5 is far more forgiving and easier for entry-level players than something like Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, or Virtua Fighter.

The competitive community for DOA is also much, much smaller than the games I listed.

#19 Posted by Grammaton-Cleric (7513 posts) -

Soul Calibur V online? Forget it! I think my ranked record was 1 win and 30 losses. Too many people are go-hards and don't care about having fun, only winning.

GeoffZak

What did you expect, especially when playing ranked matches?

That people were going to let you win?

#20 Posted by Archangel3371 (15266 posts) -
I think another reason fighting games tend to be singled out more for being "too competitive" is because of it's more personal one on one nature. Some people simply get too upset when they lose and losing as part of a team can be more tolerable to some then others.
#21 Posted by jsmoke03 (12619 posts) -
I think another reason fighting games tend to be singled out more for being "too competitive" is because of it's more personal one on one nature. Some people simply get too upset when they lose and losing as part of a team can be more tolerable to some then others.Archangel3371
not to mention that dedication is really something you must have for fighting games
#22 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8704 posts) -

The best way to improve in this genre is to have friends to learn the game at the same pace as you. That's how I got into Street Fighter IV this gen. We both learned at the same time slowly building up our knowledge and execution of new techniques. Eventhubs.com helped a bit, but more than anything, watching tournament play improved our skills because the announcers explain everything that's going on and you get to see how to play the characters to their fullest potential by professionals.

#23 Posted by Sweetbackhair (1926 posts) -
After playing the new Mortal Kombat online I decided to not even bother anymore.
#24 Posted by Pedro (21017 posts) -

Season players in any game have a tendency of being complete **** to newer players. I think that is the essence of the thread starter's point.

#25 Posted by Justforvisit (5047 posts) -

I think another reason fighting games tend to be singled out more for being "too competitive" is because of it's more personal one on one nature. Some people simply get too upset when they lose and losing as part of a team can be more tolerable to some then others.Archangel3371

Yup, I'd say that's a strong reason. Also, getting punched and kicked in your virtual face is more personal than...let's say getting shot and loosing because ticket numbers run low.