The problem with fine tuning a fetch quest... (Wind Waker)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

Is that it's still a fetch quest. I was really enjoying the game until I got to the Wind Temple, it was a very poorly designed dungeon that just dragged on and on. Then I got past it and finally started the tri-force fetch quest. Ten years ago when this game arrived on the GCN I never actually got this far. Wind Waker HD's version is supposedly streamlined to make it more enjoyable.

Well I suppose it is, much in the way one pile of dog shit may stink a little less than another, but the reality of the situation is that both piles of shit are, well... shit. It just drags, and drags. Some of them are still charts, and you still have to pay a very large sum to Tingle to get them decoded, THEN go find them. Get this, find this, collect twenty of these stupid things, go here, salvage that, go AHHHHH ARGLE BARGLE!!

It's just obvious that at some point in the original development someone said "Crap, our game is really short, let's pad it with a bunch of collecting and repetition to artificially extend the time it takes to beat the game so it feels like a larger game than it is!". I just finally deciphered the last two charts for the only two pieces of the triforce that I have left, and I feel utterly drained. Just a little more push until I can add only the third game in the series to my list of Zelda games I have seen all the way through, yet I honestly do not want to ever boot this game up again right now after all this drudgery.

You know how Skyward Sword handled getting the tri-force? One big awesome dungeon, and at the end, you get the damned tri-force. That's how you do it. Just... ugh. I feel like the last several hours have been utterly wasted. They say a moment enjoyed is not wasted, well, my last good chunk of moments feel awfully wasted.

#1 Posted by darkspineslayer (19983 posts) -

I'm not looking forward to it, but i'm having a lot of fun with the game as it is now.

Honestly, they should have gone with the original plan and had some new dungeons to go where the quest was originally covering up lost dungeons in the first place. Might have elevated it from cool extra to system seller for a lot of people.

#2 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

You are supposed to be finding those things throughout the game. Do you never explore? Did you just go from dungeon to dungeon? When I did it 10 years ago I had like 1 piece to find by the time I reached the end. And I had no problem looking for it cause I wanted to see 100% of everything there was in the game so I was going to find it regardless. WW has one of the most amazing worlds to explore, I never had an issue with it. it just needed more dungeons and needed to be harder.

#3 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

You are supposed to be finding those things throughout the game. Do you never explore? Did you just go from dungeon to dungeon? When I did it 10 years ago I had like 1 piece to find by the time I reached the end. And I had no problem looking for it cause I wanted to see 100% of everything there was in the game so I was going to find it regardless. WW has one of the most amazing worlds to explore, I never had an issue with it. it just needed more dungeons and needed to be harder.

In 2003 I thought exploring was a big waste because I would find an island, go through a lot of trouble, and get something stupid like a joy pendant, (I always thought she would just give me something like a heart piece, which I didn't need because the game is so easy) or a treasure map to more rupee's. (which I also absolutely did not need more times than not) I was always of the opinion that their was lot's of exploring to do, but not a lot of payoff to it, and I remain of that opinion. At this point, I can safely say Wind Waker is my least favorite Zelda game.

I'd probably have a higher opinion of it if I had not already played Skyward Sword to completion before attempting to finally finish off Wind Waker on Wii U. To me Wind Waker is to the Zelda series what Oblivion and Skyrim are to the Elder Scrolls, shallow and flashy, but with a lot of serious problems.

#4 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@dvader654 said:

You are supposed to be finding those things throughout the game. Do you never explore? Did you just go from dungeon to dungeon? When I did it 10 years ago I had like 1 piece to find by the time I reached the end. And I had no problem looking for it cause I wanted to see 100% of everything there was in the game so I was going to find it regardless. WW has one of the most amazing worlds to explore, I never had an issue with it. it just needed more dungeons and needed to be harder.

In 2003 I thought exploring was a big waste because I would find an island, go through a lot of trouble, and get something stupid like a joy pendant, (I always thought she would just give me something like a heart piece, which I didn't need because the game is so easy) or a treasure map to more rupee's. (which I also absolutely did not need more times than not) I was always of the opinion that their was lot's of exploring to do, but not a lot of payoff to it, and I remain of that opinion. At this point, I can safely say Wind Waker is my least favorite Zelda game.

I'd probably have a higher opinion of it if I had not already played Skyward Sword to completion before attempting to finally finish off Wind Waker on Wii U. To me Wind Waker is to the Zelda series what Oblivion and Skyrim are to the Elder Scrolls, shallow and flashy, but with a lot of serious problems.

Normally I am with you, I like some sort of reward but in WW they were terrible rewards. But for me the exploration alone was worth the search. I just loved finding a small island and needing to get a new item to reach it. Or get attacked by a giant monster in the middle of the ocean.

#5 Edited by Randolph (10542 posts) -
@dvader654 said:

Or get attacked by a giant monster in the middle of the ocean.

That reminds me. I got attacked by a giant squid just shy of getting to where the ghost boat was earlier while trying to get it's piece. It made me scream profanities in a string of filthiness that would make James Rolfe blush. By the time I killed it and tried to set back off for where the boat was, the sun had started coming up.

Normally I wouldn't have minded, but I had just finally figured out how to read the ghost ship chart. (I was looking at it too literally)