The Order 1886 lengthy gameplay demo

#1 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72286 posts) -

#2 Posted by Behardy24 (4560 posts) -

My only worries thus far: That they will overkill with the whole from cutscenes to right into gameplay. It is definitely a cool effect, but if they over do it, I could foreshadow it being annoying and be reason I could die (Like instantly get back into the gameplay where a monster rages right at you and me having no time to react since I put my controller down when cutscenes roll). Also, game needs more monster slaying, shooting dudes is fine, but it can get boring after awhile. (Hopefully will be more in final package)

#3 Edited by Behardy24 (4560 posts) -

Also, the guy playing the demo is totally build and ripped! Props to him.

#4 Posted by Pffrbt (6564 posts) -

Looks like the same ridiculously boring, whack-a-mole style tripe that I've been sick of for years now, now with the added bonus of more cutscenes than actual gameplay. Some of the AI looks piss-stupid as well.

What a waste of an interesting concept, setting, and graphics.

#5 Posted by mjorh (805 posts) -

It's just so frustrating u know the game doesn't do anything to impress you ,it's all cut-scenes and shit....

#6 Edited by blangenakker (2389 posts) -

I hope there will be more reason to play it than just looking at the graphics.

#7 Posted by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

Overall, the game looks pretty good. I like the character models, but I am not sure if I like the setting (no fault to the devs). The gameplay appears to be representative of an average corridor shooter, but that does not mean it will be terrible. But, at the same time, it does not look extremely enticing. As for the cut-scenes, I appreciate good cut-scenes, but if they detract from the game, then that is a different story.

Hopefully, the weapon selection, gun play, and AI are strong enough to make it a great game for PS4 owners. We shall see, but right now I would pass on this game.

#8 Edited by Heirren (17324 posts) -

Looks good, and while it may play good as well, it just looks like an uncharted clone. I'm a big fan of Uncharted, but the biggest downer this gen--even more than the visuals(Unchared 4 may prove otherwise)--is that games seem to be taking on the same form as last gen. Money talks, I suppose.

#9 Posted by syztem (7703 posts) -

Some pretty blatant literary influences when you've got characters named Galahad, Percival, Malory, and Igraine...

Probably should have known when they had a Morte D'Arthur quote in the first trailer.

#10 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72286 posts) -

@behardy24 said:

My only worries thus far: That they will overkill with the whole from cutscenes to right into gameplay. It is definitely a cool effect, but if they over do it, I could foreshadow it being annoying and be reason I could die (Like instantly get back into the gameplay where a monster rages right at you and me having no time to react since I put my controller down when cutscenes roll). Also, game needs more monster slaying, shooting dudes is fine, but it can get boring after awhile. (Hopefully will be more in final package)

So far they've shown third person shooting mechanics, QTE's, horror and the whole setting. I just want to know if it's an action game or if it is more of a horror game

#11 Edited by shadowkiller11 (7956 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@behardy24 said:

My only worries thus far: That they will overkill with the whole from cutscenes to right into gameplay. It is definitely a cool effect, but if they over do it, I could foreshadow it being annoying and be reason I could die (Like instantly get back into the gameplay where a monster rages right at you and me having no time to react since I put my controller down when cutscenes roll). Also, game needs more monster slaying, shooting dudes is fine, but it can get boring after awhile. (Hopefully will be more in final package)

So far they've shown third person shooting mechanics, QTE's, horror and the whole setting. I just want to know if it's an action game or if it is more of a horror game

Most probably be like The last of us in terms of pacing. With the action and horror segments although I'm speculating. Looks phenomenal and game seems good too. It does look like it's playing it safe but I'm sure it'll be entertaining anyway.

#12 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72286 posts) -

@shadowkiller11 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@behardy24 said:

My only worries thus far: That they will overkill with the whole from cutscenes to right into gameplay. It is definitely a cool effect, but if they over do it, I could foreshadow it being annoying and be reason I could die (Like instantly get back into the gameplay where a monster rages right at you and me having no time to react since I put my controller down when cutscenes roll). Also, game needs more monster slaying, shooting dudes is fine, but it can get boring after awhile. (Hopefully will be more in final package)

So far they've shown third person shooting mechanics, QTE's, horror and the whole setting. I just want to know if it's an action game or if it is more of a horror game

Most probably be like The last of us in terms of pacing. With the action and horror segments although I'm speculating. Looks phenomenal and game seems good too. It does look like it's playing it safe but I'm sure it'll be entertaining anyway.

I am not a big guy on horror

#13 Edited by Ish_basic (4029 posts) -

@syztem said:

Some pretty blatant literary influences when you've got characters named Galahad, Percival, Malory, and Igraine...

Probably should have known when they had a Morte D'Arthur quote in the first trailer.

My understanding is that they're not references. Some of these characters are 100s of years old...they are supposed to be the actual literary figures.

#14 Posted by krisroe_213 (876 posts) -

Black bars and silky smooth 30fps for that "cinematic" feel

#15 Edited by syztem (7703 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

@syztem said:

Some pretty blatant literary influences when you've got characters named Galahad, Percival, Malory, and Igraine...

Probably should have known when they had a Morte D'Arthur quote in the first trailer.

My understanding is that they're not references. Some of these characters are 100s of years old...they are supposed to be the actual literary figures.

Seems odd considering they all died, and there's a two generation gap between Igraine and Galahad.

Probably something to do with the Holy Grail, if I had to guess... Willing to bet the leader of the Order is a dude named Arthur as well then.

Going to be mildly upset if the game is about stopping Mordred from making a werewolf army.

#16 Posted by Ish_basic (4029 posts) -

@syztem said:

@Ish_basic said:

@syztem said:

Some pretty blatant literary influences when you've got characters named Galahad, Percival, Malory, and Igraine...

Probably should have known when they had a Morte D'Arthur quote in the first trailer.

My understanding is that they're not references. Some of these characters are 100s of years old...they are supposed to be the actual literary figures.

Seems odd considering they all died, and there's a two generation gap between Igraine and Galahad.

Probably something to do with the Holy Grail, if I had to guess... Willing to bet the leader of the Order is a dude named Arthur as well then.

has something to do with the "black water," whatever that is. But from them explaining it, the story of these characters and folklore like werewolves is, I think supposed to be the bastardization of the stories of very real characters fighting a war with divergent human species across time. It's basically using evolution to explain things as opposed to magic, but maybe there's magic as well....or I'm just hearing them wrong.