The Official Xbox One Launch Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#251 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Third time in two days and apparently there is no way to quit the game without shutting down the Xbox One. I dont get it.

Did you try saying "Xbox, go home"? I hate that not being able to quit and needing to shut down the system. That's what I was having to constantly do with my launch day Wii U before it broke, every time I had to do it, it made me nervous. After a few hardware failures of my own, I always watch my new console super closely and treat them super gingerly, like an egg. It's just a habit of mine.

I believe Xbox, Go Home just brings pulls up the dashboard.

#252 Posted by BadNewsBen (1493 posts) -

Finally got my hands on it today. I have both consoles, and I can say without a doubt that I've enjoyed my time with the Xbox One more than the PS4. Part of it is familiarity, and part of it is that the Xbone just has better games out right now. I'm really enjoying Forza, DR3, and Ryse. I'm having a hard time believing that Ryse got such poor reviews, but I'm glad I ignored them.

With all of that said, I'm more impressed with the Kinect than anything. Outside of one instance where it couldn't read my voice because of background noise, it's worked perfectly. I'm not a big motion control or voice command kind of guy, but everything I've done has me really juiced. Plus, the TV functionality is awesome. I didn't think it would work with my cable provider, but it's been great.

My gamertag is Bengerman 1031, if any of you want to add me!

#253 Edited by Randolph (10520 posts) -

The fight stick made a big difference in terms of being able to play Killer Instinct offline, but online it made zero difference. I lose just as badly to absolutely everyone as I did on any other fighting game. I've been trying very hard to apply everything I've been learning in Dojo mode, but these people online are, absolutely all of them, on a whole different level. I had the Kinect on as a mic, apparently, and was not aware of it. Because the guy I played this morning came through berating me for buying the full version of the game, and accusing me of only buying the game only to ogle Orchid (the character I was playing as) because I suck so horribly at it.

It was an utterly degrading experience. I'm just going to sell the fight stick back to Gamestop, uninstall KI, and cut my losses now. I don't need this shit bringing me down just as I'm finally getting the promotion at work I've wanted so long, and I don't need to be going to work in a foul mood. At least now, I know for sure, that their is no easily solved problem for why I suck at these games, I just do. I have to choke that down and move on, bitter as it may be.

#254 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@Randolph said:

The fight stick made a big difference in terms of being able to play Killer Instinct offline, but online it made zero difference. I lose just as badly to absolutely everyone as I did on any other fighting game. I've been trying very hard to apply everything I've been learning in Dojo mode, but these people online are, absolutely all of them, on a whole different level. I had the Kinect on as a mic, apparently, and was not aware of it. Because the guy I played this morning came through berating me for buying the full version of the game, and accusing me of only buying the game only to ogle Orchid (the character I was playing as) because I suck so horribly at it.

It was an utterly degrading experience. I'm just going to sell the fight stick back to Gamestop, uninstall KI, and cut my losses now. I don't need this shit bringing me down just as I'm finally getting the promotion at work I've wanted so long, and I don't need to be going to work in a foul mood. At least now, I know for sure, that their is no easily solved problem for why I suck at these games, I just do. I have to choke that down and move on, bitter as it may be.

Dude, don't do that. Fighters take some time to get used to. Young kids in their teens and 20s will always have an edge because their reaction times are faster. But that shouldn't mean you can't play and have a good time. You just need to stick to playing with friends.

I know you have to be stressed already because of work. I've lived that life and this time of year is tough on people in your profession. At least wait until the weekend before you make any decisions like uninstalling and selling off hardware.

If you see me online, give me a shout. I'd enjoy getting in a round or two.

Also congratulations on your promotion. :)

#255 Posted by BottleOp (27 posts) -

I got a question for you guys, when the Xbox One comes back from standby does the text on main window (the big tile) come back blurry then fades to normal? its only that tile too.

#256 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@S0lidSnake:

Solid...have you called MS about this? I ve had BF4 crash on me 3 times...I thought it was just an EA thing but frim what you posted could be an Xbox thing....

#257 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

Guys...looks like Turn 10 has heard th he fans and is cutting the cost of micro transactions for Forza 5

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/27/forza-5-studio-cuts-microtransaction-prices-for-cars-following-outcry-from-fans/

#258 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

Sounds like forza has some of the most despicable microtransactions ever put in a game. What do you guys feel about it?

So after reading up a bit on the things you're talking about, I guess perhaps I can dial back the glowing praise. Like I said, I haven't had any of the issues yet. But I'm fortunate enough that most of the cars I would want were part of the main package. Being a fan of American Muscle Cars, and Camaros specifically, my garage in Forza is an embarrassment of riches.

So... yeah. Sorry if I spoke from a misinformed perspective. I guess they did some kind of crummy stuff I was unaware of. I still love actually playing the game though. It's one of my favorite racers ever made, I just wish it wasn't carrying this stigma.

#259 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/27/forza-5-studio-cuts-microtransaction-prices-for-cars-following-outcry-from-fans/

#260 Edited by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: Go to the menu, highlight the game, press start (or menu or whatever TF it is now), there should be a quit option.

#261 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: @Randolph: Agreed, don't do it. You've taken one step into the door, at least hang in there long enough for me to join you and help with the process - and it is a process - because even when armed with the right equipment, it's not something you want to be going it alone on.

#262 Posted by sukraj (22790 posts) -

@DarkCatalyst said:

Gah, I still need a Play & Charge Kit. :(

so do I man.

#263 Edited by Randolph (10520 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

I know you have to be stressed already because of work. I've lived that life and this time of year is tough on people in your profession. At least wait until the weekend before you make any decisions like uninstalling and selling off hardware.

I keep forgetting you've been here before. It's bad enough as is without work, but work makes it worse. I've spent every Thanksgiving since Mom died just a few days before Thanksgiving in 2010 at work, and then by myself at my apartment. These people shopping today just don't know what they are really depriving me of, and it absolutely wrecks me. I really need to actually have a Holiday Season again, and I can't. I'm about to go run the store by myself for nine hours without a lunch for these people, so THEY can have a "Happy Thanksgiving", and they couldn't fucking care less.

I'm really starting to hate the Holidays.

#264 Edited by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@Randolph: I feel that, man. Pulling a 5:30P-5:00A here in a few hours myself. Can't do anything about it really because I need the money, but I'm sure glad that there are so many people who aren't in such a precarious position out there fighting for us today and tomorrow. Hopefully this is the last year for this kind of garbage for all of us.

#265 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@sukraj:

As do I.....But I really really want a wired controller

#266 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

Finally picked up tbe recharge kit for the xbox one controller.....I highly recommend this as a must have accessories...For 25 bucks it will save you the hassle ans money of purchasing batteries. ... DOOO IT!

#267 Posted by Randolph (10520 posts) -

@Areez: I used a twenty five dollar GS coupon to get it essentially free, myself. Before the Xbone came out I had 250k power up reward points, so I went to town on the coupons on their site.

So now I have an Xbone, fight stick, Battlefield 4, COD: Ghosts, Ryse, AC4: Black Flag, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, Killer Instinct, and NFS: Rivals. (I also downloaded Crimson Dragon, but the less said about that digital abortion, the better… it is easily the worst launch day game) All this costing me after store credit and coupons maybe $600, not a bad haul.

#268 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Randolph:

Ouch @ Crimson Dragon....I had high hopes for this game....How does AC4 look on the Xbox One?

#269 Edited by Randolph (10520 posts) -

@Areez: Haven't started it. I started the Assistant Manager job the same day the Xbox One came out. So I just grab game time where and when I can.

#270 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@Randolph: Gotta disagree on Crimson Dragon. I mean it's no prize whatsoever, but it's no Fighter Within.

#271 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

Looks like someone has put out a video, showing the Xbox One with an after factory hardrive. If I have one major complain of the Xbox One, its that we cannot swap out the internal harddrive.

http://kotaku.com/modder-shows-xbox-one-can-boot-from-a-bigger-faster-ha-1474102985

#272 Edited by Randolph (10520 posts) -

@DarkCatalyst: I was trying to exempt Fighter Within by specifying launch day, I thought it came out a a few days after.

In other news, I tried Forza, and even with all the assists on, I still find myself barely able to play the game at all. This is the one game I got that I knew their was a good chance in advance I would hate it, but did it anyway because I was feeling bold. Dumb move. I cannot do sim racers. Not even THAT impressive from the presentation standpoint either. Oh well, another experiment gone horribly wrong.

#273 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@Randolph: Did it? Thought I saw it at Gamestop on launch day when I was trading some stuff in, it's entirely possible I smoke crack though.

#274 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@DarkCatalyst:

Pat just read the review you linked for CD....Great review...I just booked marked SMP. :-)

#275 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@Areez: Nice, much appreciated. We love having the readership. :)

#276 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@DarkCatalyst:

Anytime Pat....

#277 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

Guys just read this article that breaks down the chip set or architecture of the Xbox One...Its actually really interesting if you like this kind of stuff...

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/171735-xbox-one-apu-reverse-engineered-reveals-sram-as-the-reason-for-small-gpu

#278 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@DarkCatalyst: This may be a weird thing to praise, but I encourage you to consider the source. Anyway, here goes:

SmashPad has one of the best logos of any website I've ever seen. It says so much while remaining simplistic. And the crack making a letter "S" is such a nice elegant touch to the design. As an artist, I find it a very well designed image that tells the reader exactly what kind of site they are visiting.

Also your Killer Instinct review was great. Thanks for writing it. :)

#279 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

Here is a link on how to find game demos on the Xbox One

http://kotaku.com/how-to-find-demos-on-xbox-one-1474956532

#280 Edited by Randolph (10520 posts) -

I like how any downloaded games you uninstall are still in your games and apps section, but just grayed out with a little cloud icon on it. You just go to it, click a button, and it starts re-installing right away. Much more convenient than going to your profile and sorting through your history. That looks like a feature that had all digital in mind, honestly. Neat idea.

#281 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

To no one's surprise, the director of GoW: Ascension, who recently left Sony Santa Monica and headed for Germany, has joined Crytek.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/12/god-of-war-director-joins-crytek/

People pour a lot of hate on Ascension, but while it suffered from a weak story and needless multiplayer, the SP campaign was well designed and very fun (it didn't hit GoW3's highs but didn't hit its lows either).

#282 Edited by Randolph (10520 posts) -

Need For Speed Rivals is a cumbersome game. Needing to wait several minutes for it to find a game session, just so I could opt to use AI instead of people with screaming/crying children coming through my speakers via their Kinects, then reboot the game for that new setting to take effect, was pretty awful. These games are getting way too samey for my liking. Very little of what I am playing feels different than what I played in the previous Criterion produced NFS games, like Most Wanted, and what is different actually feels like a step backwards. Cop pursuits, like Most Wanted U, actually feel more annoying than anything else, and get in the way of my enjoyment more often than enhancing it. (Burnout Paradise needs to make a come back)

I spent more than half the time I played tonight just trying to evade overly long pursuits. I think both it and the incredibly boring sim racer are going to be leaving their spots on my shelf fairly soon, for good. The racing genre is at an all time low for me recently, and I can't see a thing on the horizon to change that, except another criterion NFS with pretty much the same mechanic and an identical looking yet differently named racing area, and another boring sim game that requires a college course to learn how to play.

Bleh.

Speaking of college courses being required to learn how to play, no one is playing Killer Instinct, so it takes all day to find a single game, and when I do they either break my butt and refuse a rematch because I am beneath them and they know it as well as I do, or they are ludicrously bad, pose no challenge at all, and have a screaming child behind them the whole time and they quit out about the time I win. Same old, same old.

I really need to stop fooling myself into thinking their is a quick fix for my fighting game ineptness, and stop feeling entitled to be better than I am when I KNOW for a fact I lack the obsessive dedication needed to excel. I sold the fight stick already, (I felt like a child playing dress up in his fathers clothes when I used it) but I kept the game installed in case any friends want to have a few casual rounds, since it can be fun in that regard at least. (Man, I wish VeggieOverlord was still around) But yeah, that's it, not talking about it anymore in depth here, it's just embarrassing at this point to even think about.

More Dead Rising 3, Ryse, and COD are on my plate, I am turning so "casual". :)

#283 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: Haha, I can take credit for the review at least. I believe Jonard is responsible for the logo. :) As for KI, I just can't wait until I can finally play it properly, with a fightstick. Might be awhile, but still really looking forward to it.

#284 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Randolph:

How is Dead Rising 3 so far?

#285 Posted by Randolph (10520 posts) -

@Areez: It's Dead Rising. :)

Same old stuff in a lot of ways, but on a really obviously next gen scale. Being on a overturned bus on a highway that is a literal sea of zombies, and not one of them looks the same, is pretty remarkable.

#286 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Randolph:

Thats crazy...I may have to check it out

#287 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@Areez said:

@Randolph:

How is Dead Rising 3 so far?

I know you didn't ask me, but I can't let the chance to gush about Dead Rising pass.

I just finished the game last night and it's a great entry in the series. I ended up liking the protagonist quite a bit. He has a bit less personality than Frank West, but Frank would be a hard act for anyone to follow. The story is entertaining, provided you enjoyed Dead Rising and it's silly fiction at all. Not to be taken seriously by any stretch, but in that particularly Capcom way of earnest silliness, played straight but to almost comedic effect.

If you liked any of the Dead Rising games, 3 is a worthy update.

And if you were put off by how punishing some of the old systems were, this is the perfect time to try out a new entry. They've made the core game a lot less demanding on time and embraced the open world aspect, giving ample time for side quests and the main story is to be completed at your leisure. You can rush through it, take a slower pace and build levels, or you can ignore all of it and just hack up thousands of undead with your RollerHawg. If, however, you prefer the challenge of the time management then Nightmare mode provides the serious time sensitive approach that fans of the originals will find familiar.

I know it can be hard to take me seriously on a Dead Rising critique because I'm such an admitted fanboy of the series. But I really do think this one is a great game that any owner of an X1 should consider adding to their library of games.

Cheers! :)

#288 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

My Ryse surprise.....

Guys...I have to be honest that after reading Gamespots review of Ryse, I was not expecting much. And at one point, I didnt think I would pick up the game at launch. Well I did and I have been pleasantly surprised by how much I have enjoyed Ryse. Perhaps Gamespoy forgot something called entertainment value, which Ryse does have. Sure, the combat system is not the most sophisticated of any action game, but the game is very entertaining. It has a great story, voice acting, and action packed combat. Ryse has been one my biggest surprises of 2013.

#289 Posted by Randolph (10520 posts) -

Ryse is a very serviceable launch period showcase game. So is Knack, and so was Zombi U. (in fact, it was downright good!) All three consoles had a exclusive launch game that the media seemed to target early on and set out to make an example out of.

#290 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I rage quit Forza yesterday after spending nearly 20k upgrading my rally car. Apparently i made it too awesome and it wasn't eligible for rally racing anymore costing me another $5k to de-upgrade.

Such bullshit.

#291 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@S0lidSnake:

That sucks. How is making a car good now penalized....

#292 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@Areez: Same way it always was. You can't enter a B-class racing series with a car you've upgraded into the A-class.

#293 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

I rage quit Forza yesterday after spending nearly 20k upgrading my rally car. Apparently i made it too awesome and it wasn't eligible for rally racing anymore costing me another $5k to de-upgrade.

Such bullshit.

Yeah, that happened to me too. It's been a long time part of the franchise, so I can't really complain. I mean I knew it was there and all that. But damn it, I want my ZL-1 to be a monster, not a stock car! GRRR!

It's weird having my specific real world car in the game (sadly, I'm no longer talking about the ZL-1). This has never happened to me before. There have always been similar models of course. But this time the exact year and model of Camaro that I drive in real life is in the game. It's eerie sitting in the virtual cockpit of the same car I drive every day. Not bad really, more surreal I guess would be the better word. Gotta give them credit though, it's picture perfect right down to the crap stock radio.

#294 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Such bullshit.

Yeah, that happened to me too. It's been a long time part of the franchise, so I can't really complain. I mean I knew it was there and all that. But damn it, I want my ZL-1 to be a monster, not a stock car! GRRR!

It's weird having my specific real world car in the game (sadly, I'm no longer talking about the ZL-1). This has never happened to me before. There have always been similar models of course. But this time the exact year and model of Camaro that I drive in real life is in the game. It's eerie sitting in the virtual cockpit of the same car I drive every day. Not bad really, more surreal I guess would be the better word. Gotta give them credit though, it's picture perfect right down to the crap stock radio.

This is my first Forza game. I upgrade the shit out of my cars in GT and stroll to the finish line in every race so this was kind of a shocker.

#295 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Randolph:

It would it appear that way...Ryse is not a 4...

#296 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

Ok....so I just finished Rye...definitely enjoyed the game....If they decide to make a sequel they could do some good by opening the world up a bit more...The setting seems ripe for yhe opportunity to open things up like say an AC4. I

#297 Edited by Ish_basic (4019 posts) -

My initial complaint with Ryse's combat was that unlike the Arkham games, when two enemies attack you near at once, you can't double counter leaving you wide open for what seem like chance hits. Obviously if they both attack before you deflect, you can evade, but a lot of times you've already hit deflect before the second attack animation kicked in. Thought it was kind of an indication of a lack of polish with the combat, until I did the Commodus fight on Legendary (where it happens all the time) and realized that there is an element of footwork to the combat that among other things alleviates this problem, yet goes almost unrealized because the game is rarely challenging enough to force you into learning it. It improved my feelings about the combat, which had already been mostly positive, anyway.

Ryse is a very fun ride. And there's definitely room for a sequel. After all, when you're just using history to name drop and paying no attention to accuracy, there's really no limiting your narrative. We've done Boudica riding an elephant through the gates of Rome, now maybe Spartacus on a kraken, or what about that time Hannibal crossed the Alps in an AT-AT? It's fun, so I don't care, but the liberties they took were kind of amusing.

#298 Edited by Randolph (10520 posts) -

Messed around with the upload studio app a bit with a Killer Instinct clip where i actually managed to win, my friends should check it out on XBL when they get a chance. It was quick and easy to do, really cool.

#299 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Ish_basic:

I agree with you on the footwork in the arena battle with Commodus...It highlighted how under utilized that piece of combat goes throughout the game...I remember thinking to myself in that specific battle how the combat system really all came together nicely....The timing needed to deflect multiple enemies attacking you required a level of precision that should have been present throughout the game...Still though the game was entertaining and I enjoy the intense action sequences....By the way if you have tutrle beach headsets, they are a must to have on while playing Ryse....The audio adds even more to the cinematic quality of the game

#300 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Randolph:

Randolph just checked out your KI upload...one of the better ones I have seen...I like how you used Kinect to provide an video play by play...And by the, way...like the combos with Orchid. ..