The Official Xbox One Launch Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

In that case wait until you see the Celica. :)

Just bought the Celica last night. That thing is beastly.

I've always had trouble with the corkscrew on Laguna Seca, but that thing handles it smooth. Like butter or 40 year old Scotch.

#202 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -
#203 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -
#204 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: They don't do great work together though.

#205 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: They don't do great work together though.

Yes, this is true. Don't drink and Forza kids.

#206 Posted by Ghost_Face (7672 posts) -

@Areez said:

Guys anyone having issues with their Xbox One headset, where all they hear is static when someone is speaking?

No, I haven't had that problem. Have you tried turning on party chat? That seems to work well, but you have to start a party, and people may be hesitant to start a party with someone they don't know that well.

I wonder why some games could have that problem? I started a co-op game of Dead Rising and couldn't hear the person at all until we turned on party chat. I wonder what is different about coding voice communications for XB1 over the 360? There should be greater unification with voice like there was on 360. I never had to join a party in Rainbow Six on the 360 to communicate with my teammates.

This is one aspect that I think has taken a step back from the predecessor.

#207 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Ghost_Face:

I started a party chat with freinds...turned on party chat and all I hear is static when people talk..my buddy told me that he heard static from me too....

Whats your GT...I can demonstrate for you whats going on

#208 Posted by Ghost_Face (7672 posts) -

@Areez said:

@Ghost_Face:

I started a party chat with freinds...turned on party chat and all I hear is static when people talk..my buddy told me that he heard static from me too....

Whats your GT...I can demonstrate for you whats going on

My GT is Tony Rone. I won't be able to demo tonight. Lets shoot for tomorrow night.

#209 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -
#210 Posted by MirkoS77 (6771 posts) -

Can someone tell me how bad the microtransactions are in Forza? Is there a lot of grinding? Encouragement to go to the marketplace and spend some real money or what?

#211 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

Can someone tell me how bad the microtransactions are in Forza? Is there a lot of grinding? Encouragement to go to the marketplace and spend some real money or what?

If you played Forza 4, you've seen it. I've not once been asked to go buy anything. There is an option to do it, but it's not in your face at all.

Take a look at Giant Bomb's Quick Look of the game. They discuss it, briefly. Everything that is for sale for real money is clearly labeled as DLC in the menu where you buy Cars.

Further, your "drivatar" earns credits for you while you're away. And there is ample in-game cash just from playing normally to acquire anything you'd really like. So unless you want something other than the core list of cars, you should be fine.

#212 Posted by MirkoS77 (6771 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

If you played Forza 4, you've seen it. I've not once been asked to go buy anything. There is an option to do it, but it's not in your face at all.

Take a look at Giant Bomb's Quick Look of the game. They discuss it, briefly. Everything that is for sale for real money is clearly labeled as DLC in the menu where you buy Cars.

Further, your "drivatar" earns credits for you while you're away. And there is ample in-game cash just from playing normally to acquire anything you'd really like. So unless you want something other than the core list of cars, you should be fine.

That's great to hear. I have no problem with MTs, as long as they're there simply if people don't want to put in the time. It's only when they design the game around them enforcing a grind unless things are bought that I have a problem.

#213 Edited by CarnageHeart (18315 posts) -

150K of the Xbone's one million launch sales occurred in England, meaning it launched twice as big as the X360 there. Be interesting to see how many consoles were released in each territory.

FIFA is the bestselling launch game (edging out CoD).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-25-xbox-one-outsells-xbox-360-two-to-one-in-uk-launch

The Xbone has already almost equaled the Wii U's lifetime UK sales (not hard, but still hilarious).

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/xbox-one-sells-150k-units-in-first-week-in-uk/0124857

Perhaps more tellingly this means that Xbox One is, according to the same source, now just a few thousand units short of beating the Wii U’s total UK sales accrued since its release a year ago this week.

Stock permitting Xbox One should shoot ahead of Nintendo’s machine this week. And a strong launch for PS4 this Friday could see Nintendo relegated to third place in the UK next-gen battle.

#214 Posted by CarnageHeart (18315 posts) -
#216 Posted by Randolph (10322 posts) -

Few more observations.

1- I've started to find the exact timing needed to use the d-pad for back motion specials on the right side of the screen in KI, but now that Dojo Mode (which is absolutely stellar, btw) has got me into linker, auto, ultra and all that jazz, I'm still finding the analog stick of just enough accuracy to not care until my damned fight stick finally arrives at Gamestop. I can see a lot of Orchids being played online, because once I got into all of that and went into practice with her, the stuff I was pulling off in there was absolutely stunning. Mind boggling, even. @DarkCatalyst, how much of that can be applied to Classic KI? Are the combo mechanics similar? It's been many years since I could string together 80 hit ultra combos with Orchid, so I just don't know. (and that was on SNES)

This game is insanely fun.

2- The default gamer pics available are freaking great. Everyone should check them out.

#217 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Randolph:

Nice!! I have not put as much time into KI yet...But those are some great impressions. ....

I do have one complaint about the Xbox One though...its that my headset is not working...all I hear is static when someone speaks!!!

#218 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: Rally cars fix everything. :)

I'm assuming that you've already taken off all the assists and any score I see from you is pure racing prowess, correct?

I always assume you and N3MO are operating from a higher plane than I.

#219 Posted by TheMierArmy (5699 posts) -

has anyone had an issue with starting a game and then being booted to the dashboard?

#220 Edited by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: I don't gut the assists outright, but anything I keep active is strictly for the sake of making the cars drive exactly how they would in real life. A lot of it is real ability, rally is my "native racing discipline" if it were to be said that I have one.

@Randolph: Honestly, not much. KI3 is what the first two games should've been. I touch on a lot of that in my review.

#221 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: I don't gut the assists outright, but anything I keep active is strictly for the sake of making the cars drive exactly how they would in real life. A lot of it is real ability, rally is my "native racing discipline" if it were to be said that I have one.

@Randolph: Honestly, not much. KI3 is what the first two games should've been. I touch on a lot of that in my review.

The last two Forza games have had this same issue for me. I start playing and some of the memories begin to flood back. And I start doing well and think "Hey, I remember some of this" and feel elated. Then a track or two down the line I notice the damn thing is braking for me and I have made very little REAL impact on the driving and I feel low. Then I turn off the assists I usually don't use like Brake Assist and I spend several races trying to wrestle my stupid fingers back into something resembling competence.

Fun times. I've finally gotten used to driving with the difficulty up a bit, once again. But I'm dipping in one toe at a time so to speak. About to see if I can make it without traction control sometime tonight or in the morning.

#222 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: You definitely want traction control off if you want to get the most out of Celica GT-Four.

#223 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@DarkCatalyst said:

@ZZoMBiE13: You definitely want traction control off if you want to get the most out of Celica GT-Four.

I've got to say, the "drivatar" thing is making me take a more considered approach to this game. And in an interesting way. Ramming a group of AI cars isn't really the same as ramming a group of cars that bear the names of my online friends.

In Forza 2 and 3 I eventually got to the point where I had most of the assists turned off. But I got there over a summer. I'm having too much fun with this game to try and rush it. Looking forward to trying it without traction control though. And I apologize in advance to anyone's Drivatar I may injure in the process. :)

#224 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: If you're getting beaten by my drivatar on the outside around corners, I basically have TCS-off to thank for that. It's my bread and butter while pack-racing in the corners.

#225 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Sounds like forza has some of the most despicable microtransactions ever put in a game. What do you guys feel about it?

#226 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@DarkCatalyst said:

@ZZoMBiE13: If you're getting beaten by my drivatar on the outside around corners, I basically have TCS-off to thank for that. It's my bread and butter while pack-racing in the corners.

You're guy isn't really a jerk, despite what I said earlier. That was just a gag. I haven't had a run in with your drivatar in a while. We usually pass one another amicably.

Dalfiuss on the other hand, he rams not only me but everyone else. lol I swear his dravatar tried to give me the pit maneuver earlier!

Not sure what he's doing to program that thing to be so aggressive, but if that was his intent; mission accomplished.

Also my buddy Chad (GT: MummyTongue) seems to slam into everyone in the pack. He's only played a little bit though, so I'm guessing the algorithm doesn't have much to work with. Maybe that's the case with Dalfuiss as well.

#227 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@TheMierArmy:

Hmmmmmm....Nope. May want to reach out to MS

#228 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

Muuuaaahhhhh.....I am playing Killer Instinct while watching Monday Night football! SNAP!! feature..

#229 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

Sounds like forza has some of the most despicable microtransactions ever put in a game. What do you guys feel about it?

That's not even close to true. There have been games that have used it poorly. Crimson Dragon is a Micro-transaction fest. And RYSE could be accused of nudging you towards the MTs as well.

Forza's are there, but they are in no way intrusive. If you want to double your XP, you can. You're never forced to. The cars that are DLC are clearly labeled so if you want one you know it's not part of the base game.

They're not bad. At least they're no leap forward in bad. It is basically the same as it was in previous Forza games.

#230 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: I heard if you buy dlc cars you still need to unlock them using the in game currency which takes forever to grind.

#231 Posted by Ish_basic (3854 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: And RYSE could be accused of nudging you towards the MTs as well

Not really. The upgrades in the campaign come easily and the game isn't hard enough to make you care if you get them or not, anyway. I would say the same thing about the arena. The only incentive to get new gear is the new look, and the tiers become spread so far apart in terms of the rank each one becomes available that you'll have plenty of gold from just grinding ranks to get new gear the instant you can buy it.

I find that games which feature both a free service AND a subscription service are the most obnoxious. "Tired of gaining xp so slow? upgrade your sub!" "Running out of inventory space? Upgrade your sub!" "Want to use the Auction House? Want to carry more money? Want to wear end-game armor?" and so on and so forth. Most of the pure MT models I play these days are completely cool - Neverwinter, PoE, GW2, Marvel Heroes, but I see so many console-only gamers jumping at ghosts over it.

#232 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

@ZZoMBiE13: And RYSE could be accused of nudging you towards the MTs as well

Not really. The upgrades in the campaign come easily and the game isn't hard enough to make you care if you get them or not, anyway. I would say the same thing about the arena. The only incentive to get new gear is the new look, and the tiers become spread so far apart in terms of the rank each one becomes available that you'll have plenty of gold from just grinding ranks to get new gear the instant you can buy it.

I find that games which feature both a free service AND a subscription service are the most obnoxious. "Tired of gaining xp so slow? upgrade your sub!" "Running out of inventory space? Upgrade your sub!" "Want to use the Auction House? Want to carry more money? Want to wear end-game armor?" and so on and so forth. Most of the pure MT models I play these days are completely cool - Neverwinter, PoE, GW2, Marvel Heroes, but I see so many console-only gamers jumping at ghosts over it.

Fair enough. I've only spent a little time with it. I guess "nudge" was probably a poorly chosen word. Thanks for the clarification.

@dvader654 said:

@ZZoMBiE13: I heard if you buy dlc cars you still need to unlock them using the in game currency which takes forever to grind.

Yeah, like I said. Just like the Forza Motorsport 4 model. Except the "grind" is just playing the game. Unless you're only getting the game to build some collection of digital cars, I can't see how it'd be a problem. And if that's all the player would want, then they are doing themselves a disservice.

You earn credits from racing, get bonuses from affinity, from completing circuits, you know, just by playing the game naturally. And your Drivatar (how I loathe that term) earns you credits while you're not even playing. If playing the game you bought means grinding then OK I guess. But the season passes or car packs will add the cars to those available to earn through play. It's all pretty seamless.

I don't know who is telling you it's bad, but I vehemently disagree. I think this is one of the better entries in the series for me. And I've been playing Forza since it first launched on the original Xbox.

EDIT: It occurred to me after posting this, perhaps there is some kind of gating off the cars in multiplayer that I am unaware of? I can't imagine they'd do that and I'm almost certain it wasn't that way in the past games. However, just to make myself clear: I have only played single player races in career mode. So while I assume it's OK, there could be something going on that I have not experienced.

#234 Posted by TheMierArmy (5699 posts) -

@Areez:

@Areez said:

@TheMierArmy:

It doesn't happen often but when it does loading another game and then going back to the one that wouldn't seems to fix it, also a fresh reboot works.

I checked the official xbox forums and other people are experiencing the same thing, I'll give MS a call and see what they know.

*Update

Got off the phone with support and they told me its a hardware issue a lot of people have been calling in about. The xbox works fine most of the time but they will send a replacement in 2 days.

#235 Edited by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

After giving it a good bit of thought, I think everyone's "real level of skill" is well represented in Drivatar, even if they're piling up on assists. What is an assist if not a relinquishment of control, a solid wedge driven between a player and the true potential of what they're driving? I say the same about the driving line, because it represents such horrendously conservative driving that anyone who abides by it can't win anything. So I basically say, especially with Drivatar being a thing, everyone should use all the assists they need. It won't cause anyone to overachieve, and frankly I'd far prefer that than Drivatars buzzing around in an R32 or F40 they can't handle, causing eight-car pileups on the opening turn of Spa.

(Says the rally driver whose line is so different from everyone else's that there's no room for comparison...)

#236 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

After giving it a good bit of thought, I think everyone's "real level of skill" is well represented in Drivatar, even if they're piling up on assists. What is an assist if not a relinquishment of control, a solid wedge driven between a player and the true potential of what they're driving? I say the same about the driving line, because it represents such horrendously conservative driving that anyone who abides by it can't win anything. So I basically say, especially with Drivatar being a thing, everyone should use all the assists they need. It won't cause anyone to overachieve, and frankly I'd far prefer that than Drivatars buzzing around in an R32 or F40 they can't handle, causing eight-car pileups on the opening turn of Spa.

(Says the rally driver whose line is so different from everyone else's that there's no room for comparison...)

All I know is that I'm seriously considering removing Dalfiuss from my friends list in hopes of removing him as a player populating my races. If his drivatar is any indication, he is mad. Mad mad mad mad mad. But he's ranked in the top 500 on the leaderboards, so maybe you have to be that aggressive to win at the top tier? It's really not something I have to worry about being barely inside the top 50k.

One thing is certain, when I see his name appear over a car, it triggers my fight or flight response... and it's always flight. ALWAYS.

#237 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

Yeah, one thing Drivatar has actually scared me into doing is activating the driving line, not to use for myself but so I can see who does, so that I never get caught driving bumper-to-bumper with them coming up on corners.

I deal with the really aggressive ones by actually hanging back and letting them do their thing to everyone else, more often than not they'll eventually take themselves out.

#238 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: I dont have the game so i dont know how it is but if you have to replay the same races over and over again just to make money than it is grinding. If there is enough content that you constantly play new races and make more than enough to buy everything then it is fine.

#239 Edited by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

In that case it's no more grindy than racing sims generally are, the microtransactions just give you a way to circumvent that.

#240 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: I dont have the game so i dont know how it is but if you have to replay the same races over and over again just to make money than it is grinding. If there is enough content that you constantly play new races and make more than enough to buy everything then it is fine.

Like Pat said, it's pretty standard racing sim stuff. You can go and replay the races if you choose to, but I've yet to need to in order to get something I wanted.

This is a game that requires a time investment. Races, even 2 lap races, can take a little while to complete and it's not really easy. Well it can be easy if you turn on all the assists and turn down the drivatar difficulty, but even at default I'd say you're never guaranteed a victory.

Those interested in taking time with their cars, learning the way they drive individually, learning the way they react to the tracks, really spending time playing the game shouldn't have much of a negative response in the way you're describing. I can see some people not caring for the smaller amount of tracks in this one, but in practice I find each car brings new challenges even when you're familiar with the tracks. Last night I bought a Camaro for the Class D championship and it handles so radically different to the Celica or the EVO or the first car I bought that I suddenly can't remember what it's called. That's kind of where the fun in this game lies, at least for me.

I've never had to replay a specific race just to earn credits. But I have played it every day since the saturday after launch. The DLC is merely presented as different options for the races if you choose them. They're not intrusive in the least. And even if you chose the XP boost on the Micro-Transaction menu, I don't see how it'd get you more credits. At least not immediately. That's for people who want a shortcut I guess, but I bought the game to play it and it's never once felt like a grind.

Cheers :)

#241 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@TheMierArmy said:

@Areez:

@Areez said:

@TheMierArmy:

It doesn't happen often but when it does loading another game and then going back to the one that wouldn't seems to fix it, also a fresh reboot works.

I checked the official xbox forums and other people are experiencing the same thing, I'll give MS a call and see what they know.

*Update

Got off the phone with support and they told me its a hardware issue a lot of people have been calling in about. The xbox works fine most of the time but they will send a replacement in 2 days.

It's good to know they're taking care of you so quickly. I remember being told I'd have to wait over a week on one of my 360 units. Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

#242 Edited by TheMierArmy (5699 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

@TheMierArmy said:
@TheMierArmy said:

@Areez:

@Areez said:

@TheMierArmy:

*Update

It's good to know they're taking care of you so quickly. I remember being told I'd have to wait over a week on one of my 360 units. Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

Yeah, they have gotten a lot better and it looks like they are giving people a free game for their troubles.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/broken-xbox-one-microsoft-will-give-you-a-free-game/1100-6416411/

#243 Edited by Randolph (10322 posts) -

Killer Instinct TE arcade fightstick came in. It's a really gorgeous package, they took the same care in presentation as they did with the Xbone system itself. It looks and feels every bit the premium price you paid for it. The difference is night and day, I don't think I'll ever play a fighter with a controller again in my life. Christ, now I understand where @DarkCatalyst was always coming from. Immediately eliminates the problem with reliably pulling out special moves when on the right side of the screen.

Just getting used to the button placement seems to be the biggest learning curve so far, getting used to the stick itself took no time flat because I've been using the analog stick on the pad. Big smile on my face today, that and I was able to get another $50 coupon and a $25 one with my power up rewards points, so while I was getting my paid off arcade fightstick, I was able to get Need For Speed Rivals and a play and charge kit for $10.69 in total.

:)

#244 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@Randolph said:

Killer Instinct TE arcade fightstick came in. It's a really gorgeous package, they took the same care in presentation as they did with the Xbone system itself. It looks and feels every bit the premium price you paid for it. The difference is night and day, I don't think I'll ever play a fighter with a controller again in my life. Christ, now I understand where @DarkCatalyst was always coming from. Immediately eliminates the problem with reliably pulling out special moves when on the right side of the screen.

Just getting used to the button placement seems to be the biggest learning curve so far, getting used to the stick itself took no time flat because I've been using the analog stick on the pad. Big smile on my face today, that and I was able to get another $50 coupon and a $25 one with my power up rewards points, so while I was getting my paid off arcade fightstick, I was able to get Need For Speed Rivals and a play and charge kit for $10.69 in total.

:)

That's great news man. Glad you finally got it! :)

#245 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

Gah, I still need a Play & Charge Kit. :(

#246 Posted by Randolph (10322 posts) -

Didn't realize I could just keep getting these coupon codes until my power up rewards points were gone. I got another $50 and $25 pair of codes off the site and scored Battlefield 4 and COD: Ghosts for a grand total of about $48. My first BF game, and my first Call of Duty. (never even played the first Modern Warfare)

#247 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@RandolphReturn CoD and get Assassin's Creed or something. Trust me. It's awful even by CoD standards. One of the worst games of the year.

@dvader654 yeah the Forza 5 stuff is despicable. Apparently the series used to gift cars after you won an event. Now you have to earn cash for all the cars and buy them. You can only earn 100k per hour which means you have to spend 20 hours racing just to buy 1 $2 million car. Then rinse and repeat for every car after that.

#248 Posted by Randolph (10322 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: I already have AC4. :)

Between the coupons from the insane amount of power up rewards points I had unknowingly hoarded, and the trade in credit and what not, I have every worthwhile game for the Xbone outside of the sports genre.

#249 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

The graphics in Ryse keep impressing me. Just got to the jungle level and it is easily the prettiest forest I have ever seen. The foliage puts every current gen game to shame. Even Crysis doesn't come close.

I am liking the combat a bit more, but the game keeps crashing on me. I can still browse the menus, but it doesn't load the game itself after restarting a checkpoint. Third time in two days and apparently there is no way to quit the game without shutting down the Xbox One. I dont get it.

#250 Posted by Randolph (10322 posts) -

Third time in two days and apparently there is no way to quit the game without shutting down the Xbox One. I dont get it.

Did you try saying "Xbox, go home"? I hate that not being able to quit and needing to shut down the system. That's what I was having to constantly do with my launch day Wii U before it broke, every time I had to do it, it made me nervous. After a few hardware failures of my own, I always watch my new console super closely and treat them super gingerly, like an egg. It's just a habit of mine.