The Official Xbox One Launch Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by Metamania (11855 posts) -

Really liking the X1 so far. Played a match of Killer Instinct against a stranger (lost, if you're wondering), then did a bit of the tutorial "DOJO" section. Then tried some of the Kinect stuff. Voice commands are still as fun as they ever were. I have no interest in Kinect as a gaming device, but barking orders at my Xbox just never gets old. Getting the hang of saying what you need to, when you need to, is pretty intuitive. But I did stumble a time or two by speaking too fast and running words together. I know better, and typically have pretty decent elocution. But when I get excited with a new toy, that can smoosh all together.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the system.

Also, Dead Rising is awesome. Though, I'm not really the person you want to listen to on Dead Rising. It's impossible for me to be objective on that series. I just have too much fun with it's settings, silly story, improvised weapons, etc. But I had this great "Next Gen" moment. Standing atop a burning bus, looking out at the sea of undead as they grasped for my pants cuff, trying desperately to get ahold of my delicious brain meats. This one is a great show piece. Say what you want about the framerate and FPS. It's certainly not going to win any graphic awards. But the amount of potential enemies, all within sight and moving, squirming, undulating... it was a bit breathtaking.

You're talking about Dead Rising 3, right? I heard that if you complete the game on Nightmare mode, you'll be able to unlock a Mega Man X suit for the main character to use. I know, because I saw footage of the game in action with that suit equipped over on TrueAchievements.com. That would be like the only reason to play that game. LMFAO.

#152 Edited by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@Randolph: Hey man, message me over on Facebook? I'll have my system in like 10 minutes.

#153 Posted by Areez (6258 posts) -

@Randolph:

What is your gamertag? Mine is Areez7....

My favorite part of the initial set-up was the kinect part....I was sitting in the dark and was surprised how clear and accurate the kinect 2 was able to pick up of me....Its one thing to see it on an online video...its another to experience first hand....

I also had the same load time with Ryse...After that it was smooth sailing....

With BF4, I could not access the online multiplayer right away and was stuck playing the campaign mode until BF4 was installed. ...

I have not had any issues with voice command yet..."Xbox On"...."Xbox turn off"... and using voice to jump in and out of game play has been good too...I need to spend a bit more time with the console....

#154 Posted by Ghost_Face (7672 posts) -

I'll add people when I get home. I thought you were on my Friends list before Areez. Did your gamertag change?

My tag is Tony Rone

I haven't been able to turn on the XB1 with voice commands. Maybe I have to run through the Kinect setup.

#155 Posted by Randolph (10116 posts) -

@Areez: My gamer tag is the same as my forum handle, which is just my name. Randolph.

#156 Edited by Randolph (10116 posts) -

Nice little touch. After using my $50 card to get KI Ultra Edition, (KI '94 looks great btw, has good visual filters for the true arcade experience) I had $10.50 left, was able to select it when buying Crimson Dragon, then pay the rest with my stored card info. A nice little convenience. I was afraid I would have to buy another card and get it near the price of a game to actually use it. They may have been doing this already on the 360 when they went to real money, but I wasn't on Live at that time.

#157 Edited by The_Last_Ride (65912 posts) -

I hope for everyone that got it, that they are happy with it

#158 Posted by dvader654 (44745 posts) -

More impressions, about the UI and games.

#159 Posted by S0lidSnake (28992 posts) -

One's things for sure. XBL didnt crash like PSN did on launch night and the day after. Aside from the weird first installation screen, it was really smooth sailing.

#160 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22910 posts) -

@Metamania said:

You're talking about Dead Rising 3, right? I heard that if you complete the game on Nightmare mode, you'll be able to unlock a Mega Man X suit for the main character to use. I know, because I saw footage of the game in action with that suit equipped over on TrueAchievements.com. That would be like the only reason to play that game. LMFAO.

Yes, Dead Rising 3.

I started on Nightmare mode. And I was a little shocked the first time I died. I'm really digging it. It's a bit punishing, but in that fun psychotic way. Switched it to standard button presses instead of "Shake Controller in Front of KINECT like an idiot" mode. Major improvement.

I will earn that Mega Man suit... I VOW this to be so!

I'm about to say something that I don't particularly want to say. But it should be addressed. The Smartglass integration is kind of neat. I'm not sold on the entire "Second Screen" thing as part of gaming to begin with. But it's done in an interesting way in Dead Rising 3. I'm sure everyone here knows about it so I won't detail the experience. But the app works in a fun and interesting way to make it seem more interesting. This won't work for most games. But in this instance, in this game, I enjoyed fiddling with it. I fully expect that to wear off soon, but only tie will tell.

#161 Edited by Randolph (10116 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

More impressions, about the UI and games.

I use voice for everything in the UI, and it works exactly like it's supposed to. It's better to say "Xbox On, and then Xbox go to Killer Instinct Classic" than it is to actually manually sort through stuff. I wouldn't even think to do it any other way, really, like ZZombie, I really dig the Kinect voice commands stuff. Just started Dead Rising 3, when you first set foot on the highway and you're on a overturned car looking at, quite literally, nearly a thousand zombies, and you can't see a similar Zombie among them, that is a next gen moment.

Didn't have any trouble with frame rate like some reviewers said, but it had a day one update by the time I booted it up just now. But like I mentioned earlier, I have a long work day today, and the next, and the next…. and the next. I won't have time to really dog in for hours at a time until I close the store at 2PM Thanksgiving day, and even then only after a nice long nap because I'll be wiped the hell out. Sixty Hour weeks leave little room for gaming, which takes energy and focus I just typically do not have after work.

#162 Posted by Archangel3371 (14804 posts) -

@ Great impressions guys. Really looking forward to having mine delivered in a few short weeks. Should get it just before Christmas hopefully

#163 Edited by dvader654 (44745 posts) -

Great impressions. I talked to a friend who got both systems and he seems to think Xbox UI kills the ps4s.

#164 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

Most of this I said on the Smashpad Facebook site earlier, but...

-The look and feel of the box is extremely classy if you got the Day One Edition. It kind of reminds me of the first time I opened up a MadCatz TE Fightstick. That's a good act to decide to follow, makes you feel like you're really opening up something special.

-Kinect is a problem. It doesn't come with any mounting equipment whatsoever, and my TV is only an inch thick (it barely accommodates a Wii sensor bar!). I hooked it up and set it on an adjacent shelf to try it out, but then it went right in my closet.

-The system seems to be roughly the size of an original Xbox, maybe a hair larger. PS4 still has more ass though, which I can't help but be surprised by.

-Day One update went off without a hitch. Those 300,000 servers Microsoft threw at XBL in preparation for the launch are already paying off.

-I love Forza 5 a lot but for some reason I'm driving like crap today. Pay no mind if you see my Drivatar online in the near future, I'll get it fixed soon enough.

-This is the most perfect Xbox controller I've ever held. The D-Pad actually seems adequate, and the rest is magnificent. Even the form-factor finally got it right.

-There is a ton of ventilation on the top of the system. Living in a dust climate, this terrifies me. How on earth has filtered ventilation not become an industrywide standard yet?

-The whole Day One package oozes with appreciation by the design team for the players. With all the corporate BS that the industry gets dragged into all too often, sometimes it's easy to forget that behind those corporations are genuinely dedicated teams putting forth the work out of love for the medium and fans. That's not something we should ever lose sight of.

#165 Posted by Ghost_Face (7672 posts) -

It took 29 minutes to install COD to a point where I could play, roughly 52%. That's in addition to the Day One update which was over 1GB. That's ridiculous. Anyone else having these long install times?

I'll time Ryse as soon as it's delivered.

#166 Posted by S0lidSnake (28992 posts) -

It took 29 minutes to install COD to a point where I could play, roughly 52%. That's in addition to the Day One update which was over 1GB. That's ridiculous. Anyone else having these long install times?

I'll time Ryse as soon as it's delivered.

Thats to be expected. kotaku did the install times for every game and most games aside from the 8-10GB sports titles were around 30 minutes.

#167 Posted by Ghost_Face (7672 posts) -

@Randolph

Checked out your uploaded clips of Ryse. It shows the clips right in the friends list feed, as well as achievements earned. Did you try editing any of the clips at all?

#168 Posted by Ghost_Face (7672 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: Thanks for the heads up. I didn't time any of the installs last night, but if most take this long, that would explain why I didn't go to bed until almost 0500.

#169 Posted by Randolph (10116 posts) -

@Randolph

Checked out your uploaded clips of Ryse. It shows the clips right in the friends list feed, as well as achievements earned. Did you try editing any of the clips at all?

I had no idea I was uploading any. :)

So nope, I sure have not edited any. I'll have to look into that. I'm assuming some of them made me look like I had no idea what I was doing, some of the sections were really tough, had to start really buckling down on timing of shield bashes and deflections.

#171 Edited by dvader654 (44745 posts) -

I feel like I have an old system already in the ps4, all the cool people are playing Xbox right now.

#172 Posted by S0lidSnake (28992 posts) -

I came home and yelled Xbox On! But it didnt turn on..... :(

It didnt turn on!!!

I guess I have to enable that setting somewhere.

#173 Edited by S0lidSnake (28992 posts) -

There is something really cool about the way Forza guides you through the first event. It feels like the designers actually put some thought into level structure instead of simply throwing you in a menu. The menus, the voice overs, the leveling up is all very well done. I am impressed.

What’s not impressive are the trees lol. This looks like a last gen game in HD. the cars look fantastic but most of the levels are just so bland that it really takes away from the overall presentation.

The best feature however has to be the force feedback on the triggers. It is easily the most next gen thing I’ve experienced so far. I love the vibration on the left trigger every time I brake. It’s just so well done. Cant wait to play some shooters with it. TitanFall!!!!!

I cant figure out how to eject the disc.

#174 Posted by BranKetra (46501 posts) -

Even though there are things I am not liking about the Xbox One impressions such as the long install times and in-game load times, the overall messages from you new Xbox owners are good signs. The graphics seem to be the most impressive aspect of Ryse, but the other games are appealing for different reasons besides theirs. I happily anticipate good things about the Xbox One.

#175 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5027 posts) -

Glad to hear all the positive impressions :)

Awesome that you guys are enjoying your new console.

#176 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22910 posts) -

@DarkCatalyst: Hey Pat, your drivatar... that guy is a dick. Just so you know. :P

#177 Edited by Ish_basic (3749 posts) -

I was expecting very little from Ryse, sat down, played it, and pretty much didn't stop until I finished it (I stopped to eat, but that doesn't count), which I never do. It's very on rails, but so are roller coasters and that's pretty much what I got here. It butchers history, delivers a less than perfect impression of arkham's combat (particularly when two enemies chance to attack near at the same time), and isn't very difficult (beat it on the highest setting available), but man did I have fun. Way more fun than the KZ campaign (not trying to compare the two systems, just these are the only two next gen games I've played thus far). I dunno, maybe I just like sword fighting that much.

I want to jump into legendary. Finding it impossible to get a partner for the arena.

#178 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22910 posts) -

@Ish_basic: I decided at the last minute to pick it up despite the bad word of mouth.

I haven't played it yet. Because the Dead, they keep Rising. But I'm eager to try it out.

And I really get what you're saying about the combat, even though I haven't played it yet. But I did play Captain America: Super Soldier. And my experience with it is very similar to what you're describing with Ryse. The Captain America game was WAY more fun than it had any right to be. Made by SEGA, a movie tie-in game, and a character who hasn't seen a good video game since the SNES. On paper, it should have been awful. But in my time with it, I have nothing negative to say. It was simple, but fun. And really, that's not so much of a bad thing.

I probably won't be playing Ryse until later this weekend. But if you'd like to Friend me, I'll be happy to give the multiplayer a chance. Gamertag is the same on LIVE as it is here. :)

#179 Edited by Ish_basic (3749 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: I probably won't be playing Ryse until later this weekend. But if you'd like to Friend me, I'll be happy to give the multiplayer a chance. Gamertag is the same on LIVE as it is here. :)

sure, I will next time I'm on. Arena was pretty fun. It's basically horde mode, but there are so many more environmental kill options and you get the co-op executions. Like I just dunked some poor bastard into a hot oil cauldron and he comes up screaming holding his hands up in the air like "I'm on fiyah!"

The gore is really kinda next level to me. Not to be morbid, but when you stab someone through the back and you get the camera angle so you can see the look on his face, it's impressive detail. I had wondered how long it would take gaming to display pain along with blood and here it is. Crytek really nailed the facial expressions in this game. Even in combat you get a range of emotions playing across the faces of NPCs. Surprisingly little decapitation. Also, the man-boob physics are top notch.

#181 Posted by Areez (6258 posts) -

Ok...so I finally connected my cable box through the Xbox One...it works similar to how my Samsung TV voice command feature works....So far so good...Its nice using voice to go back from say, watching ESPN to playing BF4...it is instantaneous and much better than having to pick up the remote, select a different HDMI input and power on the Xbox One...It literally goes from TV to BF4 is a second! I am impressed, the tech really feels next gen.

#182 Edited by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: There's definitely a "circle of hate" going on with Drivatar. Lots of races put you in with Drivatars that are really aggressive, forcing you to trade a lot of paint with them in order to win (or even survive, really), thus forging the same exact type of Drivatar. My Drivatar's fate was sealed after the London Challenge and that first race at Abu Dhabi. By then I was wishing I could use Kinect to give other drivers the finger.

#183 Posted by Ghost_Face (7672 posts) -

@S0lidSnake

It took a while before it worked for me. Make sure you enunciate and don't space out 'Xbox' and 'On' too much. Here is a list of all the voice commands so far.

#184 Posted by Ghost_Face (7672 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: There's definitely a "circle of hate" going on with Drivatar. Lots of races put you in with Drivatars that are really aggressive, forcing you to trade a lot of paint with them in order to win (or even survive, really), thus forging the same exact type of Drivatar. My Drivatar's fate was sealed after the London Challenge and that first race at Abu Dhabi. By then I was wishing I could use Kinect to give other drivers the finger.

Now that would be funny, if Kinect could capture that emotion and show your Drivatar giving others the finger.

Hilarious.

#185 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22910 posts) -

@DarkCatalyst said:

HA! That would be priceless. And for once, a practical use for the Kinect.

All kidding aside, I don't mind a little traded paint. Your guy though, after I got the lead and held it for a pretty decent amount of time, he swooped in and stole first from me right before the finish line! So when I say your drivatar is a dick, what I really mean is that you're clearly (still) better at Forza than I. Even by proxy. :)

#186 Edited by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

Okay that's just funny. :)

Hey that means I should have some good bank coming when I sign in...nice.

#187 Posted by Areez (6258 posts) -

hey guys...what dont we get a list of everyones Gamer tags here....

my gt is Areez7

#188 Posted by sukraj (20586 posts) -

nice that ur enjoying the xbox

#189 Posted by S0lidSnake (28992 posts) -

@Ghost_Face: Thanks for the list. I figured out why it wasn't turning on. It can only turn on from Standby mode, and I had it completely off.

#190 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: What was I driving, the Celica or BRZ?

#191 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22910 posts) -

After really digging in to Forza Motorsport 5, I'm thoroughly impressed. All the negative things I've read, for example the smaller section of cars or tracks, are not a hindrance for me and my personal enjoyment. Though I can certainly see how someone could be turned off by this. I'm lucky enough that all of my "dream" cars are already on the retail disc so even if I never spent a dime on DLC I'd still be having a pretty great racing experience.

Despite the jokes with @DarkCatalyst, I'm actually digging the Drivatar thing. Still hate the term "Drivatar", but that's just marketing-speak rhetoric and the system is working pretty well from my time with it. I don't pretend to know the way it all works, and honestly I don't want to. I can't be bothered. What it is, in practice, is a fun way to make even a single player experience feel like a good time with friends. And as someone who can't game as much as I used to, and who can't really set time aside to play like I used to, this is a fun bridge between playing all by oneself and playing with a group of good friends. Seeing a car pass me sucks, seeing a car pass me that is labeled with a friends name (and presumably their stats), that makes it something different altogether.

The DLC thing, at least in this one, doesn't seem like a greed motivated cash grab. The cars on offer look stunning, the vistas are lovingly crafted, and the new focus on owning a smaller section of cars as opposed to a Jay Leno style garage full of rarities kind of distills the experience down to it's essence. In past games I'd end up with so many cars but only bother using a few. In this one, the few feel more important and special.

Everything else is just Forza as you've known and all that this implies. Their usual level of polish and craft is on full display. If you own an X1 and care about cars in the slightest, this is a great entry in the series.

EDIT: Also, I really hope they keep the Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon games running in tandem. I enjoyed Horizon's open world style and would love to see them make more like that.

#192 Edited by Randolph (10116 posts) -

I still get impressed by running this thing for hours and it being cool to the touch.

Anyhoo, Killer Instinct talk. @DarkCatalyst this is something I want you in on. I still don't have my fight stick in yet, and I started playing the Dojo Mode. I notice this in a lot of fighters but it seems more pronounced here. I cannot reliably execute any special moves that require any kind of down, down forward, forward + a button scheme when my character is on the right side of the screen. Tiger Fury and Wind Kick just don't seem to want to work reliably when I'm dealing with that side of the d-pad.

I could literally sit there shooting out Wind Kick, Tiger Fury, and Endokuken like no one's business, jump over the training Jago, and maybe would be hitting them 30% of the time at best.

This seems to happen to me in every fighter, but even mores with KI right now. It's incredibly distracting to always be focused on trying to stay on the left side of the screen. However, unlike other fighters, at least so far the analog stick feels really good, and works almost too well for executing special moves on either side of the screen. But that's generally not recommended. Does a good fightstick eliminate this right side handicap without the drawbacks I'm told their are in using an analog stick?

Surely I can't be the only one who notices this? It goes all the way back to SF2: World Warrior on SNES for me, so it's all controllers, not just this one.

#193 Posted by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

@Randolph: You just struck on one of the reasons pads are inferior. Some people deal with it better than others, but it never goes away and the only way to truly get around it is by dismissing the gamepad altogether.

#194 Posted by Randolph (10116 posts) -

@DarkCatalyst: I really look forward to the fight stick getting in, then. Sadly, it seems to not be available just yet. Had I known it would not be available right away, I would not have reserved it and paid in off in advance.

#195 Edited by Randolph (10116 posts) -

Ok some brief game thoughts before work.

Ryse: Son of Rome is better than it has any business being. Yes, it's simplistic, straight forward and linear. But for some reason, it's also really fun. When I first tell the Xbox to boot up the last two days, I find myself reaching for my copy of Ryse more often than not to start things off.

Dead Rising 3 is super fun, and really impressive in terms of the sheer scale of it all. (with the zombies, wow)

I haven't played much of KI or KI'94, still waiting for the fight stick to come in.

Crimson Dragon is the least impressive game of the bunch. It seems like a passable at best Panzer Dragoon imitator with really abysmal production values. The opening "cutscenes" were still frames with bored voice actors reading lines with as much passion as a robot. It looked cheap, the in game graphics are not much better, this game spent a good bit of time in development on the 360, and it shows in all the worst ways. Their budget must have been very tiny, because the game looks and feels way too low rent. Not liking it at all right now. It's just plain boring.

#196 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22910 posts) -

@Randolph said:

I still get impressed by running this thing for hours and it being cool to the touch.

Anyhoo, Killer Instinct talk. @DarkCatalyst this is something I want you in on. I still don't have my fight stick in yet, and I started playing the Dojo Mode. I notice this in a lot of fighters but it seems more pronounced here. I cannot reliably execute any special moves that require any kind of down, down forward, forward + a button scheme when my character is on the right side of the screen. Tiger Fury and Wind Kick just don't seem to want to work reliably when I'm dealing with that side of the d-pad.

I could literally sit there shooting out Wind Kick, Tiger Fury, and Endokuken like no one's business, jump over the training Jago, and maybe would be hitting them 30% of the time at best.

This seems to happen to me in every fighter, but even mores with KI right now. It's incredibly distracting to always be focused on trying to stay on the left side of the screen. However, unlike other fighters, at least so far the analog stick feels really good, and works almost too well for executing special moves on either side of the screen. But that's generally not recommended. Does a good fightstick eliminate this right side handicap without the drawbacks I'm told their are in using an analog stick?

Surely I can't be the only one who notices this? It goes all the way back to SF2: World Warrior on SNES for me, so it's all controllers, not just this one.

You know, I've always had that issue as far back as the 90s arcade machines. So much so that my friends (who couldn't win any other way) would often try to exploit the issue by jumping over. Of course more often than not, I'd just punish their hubris. But when they got on the opposite side effectively, it would often result in my having a limited moveset and needing to rely on other tactics.

I can't say I know why it happens. Muscle Memory maybe? Or just perhaps being left or right handed plays a part in how we naturally pull off the moves? It would be interesting to know if a study has been done on it.

#197 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22910 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13: What was I driving, the Celica or BRZ?

I honestly am not sure. But I was driving the Mazda that looks just like the BRZ, so I'm guessing it was that one. But that is just a guess. I was too busy licking my wounds to notice a make and model.

#198 Edited by DarkCatalyst (20930 posts) -

In that case wait until you see the Celica. :)

#199 Posted by kbaily (13041 posts) -

If you want a good laugh, watch Video Games Awesome Live's Xbox One launch show.

http://videogamesawesome.com/2013/11/22/xbox-one-whole-fricken-day/

A good chunk of it was their Day One Edition system not working, Ben and Kyle having to go to Best Buy to buy a second one and then having to kill time until they returned.

#200 Posted by Areez (6258 posts) -

Guys anyone having issues with their Xbox One headset, where all they hear is static when someone is speaking?