The Official Playstation 4 thread of GREATNESS IS HERE.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Wow. the update was downloading in the background while I browsed the new XMB. By the time i got to the PSN tab it was almost half done.

Taking its sweet time installing it though. 1.6Ghz CPU FTL.

#152 Posted by Ish_basic (4010 posts) -

really taking a while to fetch my PSN account

#153 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I have given up. It gave me an error code. Usually that means the servers are down.

Great job Sony. I thought you said you were making PS+ mandatory to improve your online infrastructure. Cant even handle a few hundred thousand people logging at once.

#154 Posted by Ish_basic (4010 posts) -

@Ish_basic said:

I have given up. It gave me an error code. Usually that means the servers are down.

Great job Sony. I thought you said you were making PS+ mandatory to improve your online infrastructure. Cant even handle a few hundred thousand people logging at once.

I didn't get an error. It just ran for 10 minutes until I gave up. Wouldn't be a big deal except I really want to try some of these indies.

As a side note, the dashboard music is amazingly serene.

#155 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Is the network down???

#156 Edited by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Damn it, this is not how I wanted the new gen to start - network issues. I still trust Microsoft with Live much more than I do Sony with PSN.

#157 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Also any else's PS4 fan seem to be as loud as the PS3's? I thought this was supposed to be significantly quieter but Killzone put the fan into overdrive almost immediately.

#158 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Thank god you can actually play games without loggin into PSN otherwise this wouldve been a disaster.

Some impressions:

• Gorgeous looking box. Great Design. Very light.
  • Turning on the PS4 the first time made me go whoa. I had no idea where the power button was but the light that came on caught me off guard even though i had seen it in gifs.
  • Cant login to PSN. No online features available whatsoever. Great job Sony. Were not you expecting people to buy the consoles YOU shipped?
  • KZ looks amazing. Holy crap at the night time rain effects. Holy crap at the city fly through. Yup, next gen is here.
  • KZ plays boring. What an awful opening. You dont get to shoot a weapon until like half an hour into the game.
  • Bad storytelling. This is what happens when you listen to your critics and overhaul the story EVERY game in the series. It simply doesnt work in First Person View. Terrible lip syncing. Bad editing and some awfully choreographed cutscenes. What have they done to my KZ!!!!
  • Owl is a bit weird to use, but the gunplay is phenomenal. I dont know if its the no-aim assist controller or a 30+ fps but the shooting feels very smooth. Cant wait to play MP. Very disappointed in SP so far.
  • Share button is cool but it doesnt work at the moment.
  • The Standby feature is in which is weird because I thought that didnt make the launch?
  • Disappointing First Impressions.
#159 Edited by Planeforger (15637 posts) -

• Disappointing First Impressions.

I have to admit, you're one of the last people I expected to hear that from.

So is this going to be another PS3 - promising hardware and features, but not very much to play on it for a while?

#160 Edited by Ish_basic (4010 posts) -

apparently next gen didn't fix voice acting

oh well. Still, I played the first 4 levels of KZ, liked the Shadow and loved the Patriot. The train sequence in the Patriot was a little meh, but the residential complex, where you're knocking through walls to ambush Helghast was really well done and I loved that little SMG thing you can pick up there. The Doctor level instantly made me think about how cool a next gen Dead Space would be, but overall the level was slow and uninteresting.

The guns are done well. No lasers - the future is metal and watching steam rise off a barrel is just nice. Also, you can't beat unloading on a squad of Helghast through plate glass with a mini-gun. It just never gets old, not in any century or on any fictional planet.

Finally getting to download some of the games I wanted to play. I like how PSN tracks trophy rarity now.

#161 Edited by RimacBugatti (1268 posts) -

Anybody noticing the console having the wobbles? And how fast do the levels load in between going from level to level?

#162 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

System is sexy but seems like a dust magnet. PSN didnt work for a while so I didnt get to see much at first but hear nice menu music. Put in Killzone and after about 30 of starting the install it let me play which is sweet. Graphics are simply gorgeous, it is so smooth. Lip syncing is terrible. It still has some last gen mannerisms in the animation.

Eventually PSN sort of came up so I was about to test out some of the features. Going to the main menu from the game is nearly instantaneous. Sharing is as easy as pressing a button, I will create a facebook user just for my videos. The PSN store is sadly the same one on the PS3, just a bit faster. I downloaded everything that was free. Holy crap at Angry Birds Star Wars for $50... No demos at all, WTF.

PSN would keep failing so the downloads would stop. I still couldn't see the friend feed. So I decided to put in NBA, it starts the install and in a minute lets you play a limited game. Its just Heat vs Spurs with no announcers (but has Phil Collins music). This game has last gen DNA all over it but wow the faces are insane. The overall presentation is so amazing. The install took about 30 minutes, the percentage is displayed as you play. The second it finished the announcers magically appeared. Great game.

Things I noticed, the second you either download a game or start a disc the system activates any downloads for that game so all patches start downloading automatically in the background. Could not get the Vita to connect to the PS4, probably due to all the issues. I saw the streaming page but it closed soon after I entered.

The controller is nice but I did not like it when I started KZ. The sticks feel so small compared to the PS3. And the shape doesn't let me hold it as I would the DS3. Touch pad is pretty sweet.

Tomorrow when everything is working I should have better impressions.

#163 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

I am really surprised to hear some level of dissatisfaction by some of the avid Sony fans here.

I m shocked to hear that the PSN was not up, but I suppose that is what happens when you down play the importance of online for a decade. Geez had this been MS...lots criticism would be running rampant now..

So how has Sony improved this console outside of the hardware?

I am picking up my PS4 today...however after reading some of these impressions, and the bad launch titles, I am probably going to sell my PS4, cash in on the holiday fever and wait for Infamous Second Son...which looked good last night....

#164 Posted by Metamania (11996 posts) -

Here's a question.

Why are people expecting for a new launch to be running perfectly? It doesn't work that way.

#165 Posted by Planeforger (15637 posts) -

Here's a question.

Why are people expecting for a new launch to be running perfectly? It doesn't work that way.

Are we really at the point where we buy $400+ products expecting them to not actually work as intended?

Keep in mind that console launches can work that way, for at least 1/3rd of the competitors' platforms.

#166 Posted by Metamania (11996 posts) -

@Metamania said:

Here's a question.

Are we really at the point where we buy $400+ products expecting them to not actually work as intended?

Keep in mind that console launches can work that way, for at least 1/3rd of the competitors' platforms.

I expect them to work, believe me, but I don't expect it to be a perfect, smooth ride as people want it to be either. You gotta be realistic on that.

Some launches can work that way, but not all the time. That's my point. It's not intended to be a perfect day where everything just works magically on its own. There's bound to be screw-ups. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox One also had some hiccups to deal with on its own launch day as well.

#167 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Interesting first impressions so far with the hands-on of the console, Sony sure needs to step up a lot with their online infrastructure but i think anyone getting a PS4 at launch should know what they signed on for as an early adopter. The first year is always going to be bad, it is just an invetiable faith for machines that have become heavily reliant on networking. That being said, i have planned to just get FIFA14 come end of Nov when the console comes out in the UK due to the rocky network and other factors outside gaming. FIFA14 should fill me out till January atleast when we start to see a more stable boat. Will do most of my other gaming on the PS3

#168 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Metamania:

Their was a lot hype about and for this console....Especially by a couple of the regulars thst post here...

People had high expectations and it just seems as if Sony did not deliver on the goods...What exclusives are they offering at launch that are worth playing? Knack? Kill Zone?

I am hoping that MS has a better launch offering and on paper at least, it seems that way.

What is funny, is that the console that was perceived as a gaming console second, because of their reveal and first TV commercial, may actually do at launch what the console for gamers has not done. That is to provide games and a variety of generes worth playing day one.

#169 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@Metamania said:

It's not intended to be a perfect day

#170 Posted by D3s7rUc71oN (5180 posts) -

I'll be getting my ps4 after work, despite the so so launch games, I plan on owning 5-6 games by the end of the month .

#171 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Here's a question.

I was expecting issues, but its still disappointing to be locked out of 90% of the console's features.

I agree that it is not a big deal, but that's why I said disappointing 'first impressions'.

@Vari3ty said:

Also any else's PS4 fan seem to be as loud as the PS3's? I thought this was supposed to be significantly quieter but Killzone put the fan into overdrive almost immediately.

Yup. It was LOUD. Not quite as loud as my fat 40GB when running TLOU but it wasn't as quiet as they said it would be.

#172 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71266 posts) -

Anyone here got it already?

#173 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

EDIT: It's actually 10 Watt. Not 70. Arstechnica made a mistake. Much better.

TURN YOUR PS4 OFF people! PS4 uses 70W in Standby mode. I am glad i turned it off at night. I almost left it at Standby.

#174 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71266 posts) -

It's an option, it's not required you know

#175 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

After 30 minutes of a "please wait" screen to sign on, I hit the reset button...lol...Probably should have done that sooner

#176 Posted by Randolph (10501 posts) -

When you claim you have to make everyone pay to play to improve your infrastructure, then your network immediately crashes upon experiencing the relatively light load of a few hundred thousand people, you look a bit foolish. Here is hoping MS doesn't have this issue as well, I'd hate to download the patch only to find out I can't play my most anticipated launch game, Killer Instinct.

#177 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Randolph said:

When you claim you have to make everyone pay to play to improve your infrastructure, then your network immediately crashes upon experiencing the relatively light load of a few hundred thousand people, you look a bit foolish.

Ding Ding Ding. I was actually home around 12:20 East Coast time. I highly doubt there were a few hundred thousand people trying to login at the time.

#178 Edited by Randolph (10501 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

@Randolph said:

When you claim you have to make everyone pay to play to improve your infrastructure, then your network immediately crashes upon experiencing the relatively light load of a few hundred thousand people, you look a bit foolish.

Ding Ding Ding. I was actually home around 12:20 East Coast time. I highly doubt there were a few hundred thousand people trying to login at the time.

Oof, that's even worse. That was likely sub 100k people at that point. Talk about stumbling out of the gate. I thought about trying to wake up early and go see about possibly snagging one myself this morning from a Target or Wal-Mart, but then I realized that for my tastes, PS4 has zero games that really interest me. Killzone 2 was the peak of that series before they started removing anything and everything that ever made Killzone unique. Everything else is meh or multi platform.

MAYBE if they had scored something like Outlast for launch. But then, if they had, I wouldn't be able to download it right now anyway, from the stories I'm reading. Most people seem to have no issue getting the day one patch, so I dunno. Maybe the problem IS the patch? Just something to think about.

#179 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Randolph: The patch downloaded with no issues in minutes.

Loggin into PSN is a different story.

#180 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@S0lidSnake:

Regardless.....of how many people...this is still a reflection of the lack on investment from Sony upfront...For years Sony fans and Sony themselves down played the importance of infrastructure...In this regard they are playing catch up to MS...This generation will not be decided by hardware specs but by software, value added features and services. I am sure that Sony will spin this, but when it comes to them...dont believe the hype...

#181 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Randolph:

Randy.....I actually stood in line with a buddy of mine who was also getting a PS4 at Target...This particular Target onky had 17 PS4s. The crowd was not to enthused about the games available at launch. Although a few loyal Sony fans laid claim to Kill Zone being better than CoD and Halo. SMH.

This launch just seems flat to me, even the Spike TV event last night was flat. The big R&D news was eye tracking using the playstation camera?

I hope that MS doesn't stumble out of the gates like this. And if they do, well at least their launch event on Spike TV next week will be a bit more lively.

MS will have their even in NYC too, except they will have Roman soldiers and Zombies marching in Time Square....

#182 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

And PSN is still down. Well let me clarify that PS4 stuff on PSN is down. The regular features, what seems like PS3 PSN is working fine. Every new PS4 feature is not working and it messes with the downloads and installs, some get stuck or the xmb randomly kicks you out of choosing a game. Its like some parts of it wants to be connected and when its not it freaks out. Say I want to start resogun well I think when you highlight it some network stuff is supposed to come up but now you get an error and you get kicked back to the xmb. So I had to find resogun in the quick launch menu for it to start.

Resogun is cool, and pretty, nothing crazy wow. I think SSDHD is better from first impressions.

I have a ton of crap background downloading right now. There were two FTP multiplayer FPSs and DC online which I will try out.

#183 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Areez said:

@Metamania:

Their was a lot hype about and for this console....Especially by a couple of the regulars thst post here...

People had high expectations and it just seems as if Sony did not deliver on the goods...What exclusives are they offering at launch that are worth playing? Knack? Kill Zone?

I am hoping that MS has a better launch offering and on paper at least, it seems that way.

What is funny, is that the console that was perceived as a gaming console second, because of their reveal and first TV commercial, may actually do at launch what the console for gamers has not done. That is to provide games and a variety of generes worth playing day one.

You seem to mistake the hype for the launch. I didnt buy this for last night, I bought this for the years ahead.

The crappy launch was sort of expected. I did want to mess with the new features though, that sucks.

#184 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@dvader654:

The hype was also about the launch too.....You cannot conveniently forget that....

Other than that, its frustrating PSN is down. I cannot wait for March!!! Infamous!!!

#185 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Randolph:

Played Killer Instinct again!! Its looking like a winner.

#186 Edited by c_rakestraw (14623 posts) -
@Areez said:

@dvader654:

The hype was also about the launch too.....You cannot conveniently forget that....

Other than that, its frustrating PSN is down. I cannot wait for March!!! Infamous!!!

A new console came out. Of course there would be hype for the launch! There always is with these things because it's exciting, even if the launch lineup is lackluster at best. I don't blame anyone for letting their expectations grow exponentially. I'd have probably been super psyched too if I were picking either console up at launch, regardless of any usual network hiccups.

#187 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Areez said:

@dvader654:

A new console came out. Of course there would be hype for the launch! There always is with these things because it's exciting, even if the launch lineup is lackluster at best. I don't blame anyone for letting their expectations grow exponentially. I'd have probably been super psyched too if I were picking either console up at launch, regardless of any usual network hiccups.

Exactly, hype that we are in next gen. Hype for all those new features (that dont work yet). Hype for the moment. We knew the launch list sucked. I will be back on my PS3 and Wii U next week.

#188 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@dvader654:

I am selling mine...I have offers at $600...I ll buy it again when Infamous comes out...By the way...that trailer was great, especially with a Nirvana cover song playing in the background....

#189 Posted by BranKetra (48447 posts) -

Either today or tomorrow is the last day for Target's "buy two, get one free" video game sale, so I went and bought some games. I am posting from my tablet, so I cannot post pictures here. I bought Call of Duty Ghosts, Assassin's Creed IV, and got NBA2K14 for free. My only other choice was Just Dance 2014. I will most likely return ACIV or Ghosts for Killzone. I will get a PS4 once they become available again.

#190 Posted by Metamania (11996 posts) -

My PS4 came in and I'm going to get started on it ASAP....

#191 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Areez said:

@dvader654:

I am selling mine...I have offers at $600...I ll buy it again when Infamous comes out...By the way...that trailer was great, especially with a Nirvana cover song playing in the background....

Take the money if you can get it.

#192 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Its finally working!

I am watching some dude play Knack. This is so bad. :P

My whats new feed is just me, so empty. :(

Watching Madden now. Wow EA has no shame. This is exactly like last gen.

#193 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@dvader654:

I think so...I wasnt sure at first...But I m going to...Especially if MS delivers....If I do sell...I ll pick up the console again in March when Infamous is released....and for the Bungie beta

#194 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@dvader654:

Nice!!! EA is horrible when it comes to Madden....We need the 2k series back..

#195 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
#196 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@dvader654:

Awesome screen shot!! Are you playing on a plasma or LED?

#197 Posted by Metamania (11996 posts) -

Hey guys, I finally have a PSN account and have subscribed to PS+ for a year. Please feel free to add me at MMT2313.

#198 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

LED areez. Will add metamania.

So I tried remote play, while close to the PS4 like a Wii U it works FLAWLESSLY. Its crazy, its just like Wii U but on a much nicer screen. But as you walk away from the PS4 the quality falls apart and eventually dies out, at least in my house. The range of the direct PS4 connection is much larger than the Wii U. Maybe at higher speeds the wifi will work just as well but who knows. Its still rather impressive.

#199 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

Well, I have picked up my PS4, my extra controller, Eye... thing..., Screed 4, and Killzone.

Now they get to sit in a closet and wait until Christmas because my family is cruel that way. Sigh. Such a perfect day... :(

#200 Posted by Pedro (21065 posts) -

Well, I have picked up my PS4, my extra controller, Eye... thing..., Screed 4, and Killzone.

Now they get to sit in a closet and wait until Christmas because my family is cruel that way. Sigh. Such a perfect day... :(

I don't understand the Christmas delay.