The Official Playstation 4 thread of GREATNESS IS HERE.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@experience_fade:

Wow...Hmmmm...This is turning out to be an interesting launch....

#102 Edited by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@dvader654:

Yup. It’s shocking that a First Party Publisher like Sony with like 20 development studios produced only 2 retail exclusives at launch. I mean I’ve been bitching about this for months now and sound like a broken record at this point, but when you have a game scoring 3s ad 4s and the other scoring 7s, you gotta wonder exactly who thought this was going to be a good launch line up for a gamer focused console.

Putting GT6, Beyond, TLOU and God of War Ascension on current gen is looking like a terrible idea right now.

Forcing Guerrilla to make another KZ after the last one received mediocre reviews and bad sales was another fuck up. Though I think this game isn’t as mediocre as the reviewers are making it out to be.

Giving Cerny money to make Knack just because he wanted to make a Crash like game at launch was even worse.

Launch games are usually pretty flimsy. When I think back to the 360 launch, the best game, by far, was Geometry Wars. It's just how it is these day, not that we have to like it. Knack looked very one-noteish for a while, and Killzone looks like a decent shooter with fucking unbelievable visuals, and that's why I bought it. I want something that showcases what's to come on the platform, and it looks set to do that well. I also got Black Flag in the mail today from Gamefly (would have been a purchase until I heard Ubi was going to fuck people by selling their bullshit season pass and it became a rental), and most of the feedback on it is good. I also got Battlefield, which is supposed to be pretty good. I don't know, I'm really not feeling upset, and I'm one to get pissed off pretty easily.

And then of course there is RESOGUN, and that shit looks like reason enough for me to own the hardware all on its own.

#103 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

Taco Bell winners of PS4s are reporting in a bunch of bricked consoles. White light of death.

Now that's concerning. I don't like hearing that shit. At all.

#104 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

I picked up Knack and Assassin's Creed IV. I was on the verge of picking up Battlefield 4, but I've heard tales of bugs and glitches and decided to hold off on that for the time being. I also saw that NFS Rivals was available, but decided to hold off until The Crew came out (which looked a lot more fun than NFS Rivals did, to be honest).

#105 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

@dvader654:

Yup. It’s shocking that a First Party Publisher like Sony with like 20 development studios produced only 2 retail exclusives at launch. I mean I’ve been bitching about this for months now and sound like a broken record at this point, but when you have a game scoring 3s ad 4s and the other scoring 7s, you gotta wonder exactly who thought this was going to be a good launch line up for a gamer focused console.

Putting GT6, Beyond, TLOU and God of War Ascension on current gen is looking like a terrible idea right now.

Forcing Guerrilla to make another KZ after the last one received mediocre reviews and bad sales was another fuck up. Though I think this game isn’t as mediocre as the reviewers are making it out to be.

Giving Cerny money to make Knack just because he wanted to make a Crash like game at launch was even worse.

Launch games are usually pretty flimsy. When I think back to the 360 launch, the best game, by far, was Geometry Wars. It's just how it is these day, not that we have to like it. Knack looked very one-noteish for a while, and Killzone looks like a decent shooter with fucking unbelievable visuals, and that's why I bought it. I want something that showcases what's to come on the platform, and it looks set to do that well. I also got Black Flag in the mail today from Gamefly (would have been a purchase until I heard Ubi was going to fuck people by selling their bullshit season pass and it became a rental), and most of the feedback on it is good. I also got Battlefield, which is supposed to be pretty good. I don't know, I'm really not feeling upset, and I'm one to get pissed off pretty easily.

And then of course there is RESOGUN, and that shit looks like reason enough for me to own the hardware all on its own.

The 360 was rushed though, and came out a year early.

PS4 is a year late. Games like Drive Club, GT6, Beyond and Infamous should've been launch titles.

I have five retail games plus two free DLC games to keep me busy until the insane Spring lineup, but most of these games are cross gen titles. Only Resogun and KZ look next gen.

#106 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

Taco Bell winners of PS4s are reporting in a bunch of bricked consoles. White light of death.

greatness is here :P

#107 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Metamania:

Good choice holding off on BF4. The online multiplayer suffers from in game freezing which is frustrating.

#108 Edited by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@Shame-usBlackley said:

@S0lidSnake said:

@dvader654:

The 360 was rushed though, and came out a year early.

PS4 is a year late. Games like Drive Club, GT6, Beyond and Infamous should've been launch titles.

I have five retail games plus two free DLC games to keep me busy until the insane Spring lineup, but most of these games are cross gen titles. Only Resogun and KZ look next gen.

Yeah, on that I'll agree -- the current generation was preceded by a traditional cycle, and ended up going on about three years too long. That's what I've always said about launches; it takes a year or so to flush out the remnants of the previous generation and really start to see some amazing shit. That's why if the launch of the PS4 happened in 2011, you'd be seeing some amazing stuff hitting. And that's where the PS4 seems to differ from most launches, it doesn't look like it's going to suffer from a spring slump.

#109 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

PS4 power consumption from eurogamer

The reality is that Sony has done a pretty good job here. We'll get to the metrics in a moment, but first impressions are certainly reassuring. On start-up, the hardware is exceptionally quiet, but as you progress into gameplay, volume and heat does start to increase. PS4 also draws a fair amount of juice too - 80W at idle on the front-end menus (the "PlayStation Dynamic Menu" to give it its proper name), 95W based on in-game video playback, and around 110-120W during gameplay - that's about 10-20W more than the first release of the "Slim" PlayStation 3. Curiously though, bringing up the menu system while in-game sees another leap in power draw - up to the maximum of 140W.

#110 Posted by Ghost_Face (7672 posts) -

That's unfortunate. A co-worker of mine won a PS4 and promptly posted it for $1000. Unbelievable.

#111 Edited by Metamania (11964 posts) -

@Areez Thanks man. :) I know that multiplayer is pretty much the sole reason for picking up BF4, but if it freezes that much, especially during that mode, no point in getting it for now until they fix it.

#112 Posted by experience_fade (259 posts) -

RESOGUN!

#113 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

So I'm thinking about replacing the drive right now and just getting it over with to save time and hassle down the road. Anyone else thinking of doing the same? Some are saying installing an SSD cuts load times in half.

#114 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

So I'm thinking about replacing the drive right now and just getting it over with to save time and hassle down the road. Anyone else thinking of doing the same? Some are saying installing an SSD cuts load times in half.

a 1TB SSD is gonna cost you a fortune. If you have the cash ($600) then go for it. Otherwise, check out my thread about PS4 install times. Even if you completely delete the install (which btw takes 2-3 seconds), the next time you boot up the game it is going to take an extra 30-40 seconds while it starts the disc install process in the background while you continue playing the game. Fake edit: I just realized that it might not work if you want to play the last level in the game. We'll see.

400GB means you can hold upto 10 games at once. I survived this gen with 40GB or rather 34GB. 400GB is more than enough unless you are thinking about going full digital.

#115 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Ghost_Face:

I am actually thinking of doing the same with my PS4 launch console and cashing in on the demand.

#116 Edited by Ish_basic (3955 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

You'd think if there were gonna be issues we'd here about widespread failure of the kiosks, since basically what you have there is a PS4 on all day inside a small plastic case (basically a greenhouse). Not good news, but at the same time how many Taco Bell winners are we talking and are we sure they're who they say they are?

#117 Posted by Bigboi500 (29053 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

I had a feeling the launch PS4s were going to have trouble... I mean it's a hundred smackers cheaper than the competition with better hardware. You knew they were going to cut corners somewhere.

Anyways... I'm not going to bother going to a PS4 midnight launch--the hype has been killed for me by these disappointing reviews.

#118 Edited by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@Shame-usBlackley said:

a 1TB SSD is gonna cost you a fortune. If you have the cash ($600) then go for it. Otherwise, check out my thread about PS4 install times. Even if you completely delete the install (which btw takes 2-3 seconds), the next time you boot up the game it is going to take an extra 30-40 seconds while it starts the disc install process in the background while you continue playing the game. Fake edit: I just realized that it might not work if you want to play the last level in the game. We'll see.

400GB means you can hold upto 10 games at once. I survived this gen with 40GB or rather 34GB. 400GB is more than enough unless you are thinking about going full digital.

The ones I saw on Amazon were like $100 or so.... maybe I was looking at an incompatible type?

And yeah the install thing is a huge help, but I was looking at it this way: I have four games waiting to be played (not including any downloadable stuff) that are going to collectively eat up 120 gigs of the 409 available... that means 1/4 of the storage is gone and the system isn't even out yet. That just seems extremely risky, because I buy a lot of games (sometimes more than 4 a month) and I could see it becoming an issue, especially if I don't finish games before moving on to others.

#119 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

South Park tonight was about next gen and black friday to a Game of Thrones themed episode. It was perfect, its a two parter so next week it ends. Everyone you have to check it out.

"Because that is how Xbox people are!"

#120 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

PS4 demoed on Jimmy Fallon, the crowd loved it, it was a great segment. They showed off the eyetoy game it comes with. Did Sony just beat MS at their own game?

#121 Edited by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -
@dvader654 said:

PS4 demoed on Jimmy Fallon, the crowd loved it, it was a great segment. They showed off the eyetoy game it comes with. Did Sony just beat MS at their own game?

I hear the Playroom stuff was designed by Double Fine. That alone makes me want to try it. Those guys know how to make some good dumb fun out of camera-based games.

#122 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@dvader654:

That was a cool demo...But I feel like I m getting mixed messages from Sony...Jimmy Fallon show hardly screams "Core" gamer....Ya know like a certain device showing off NFL Fantasy football.....

:-p

#123 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@Shame-usBlackley said:

@dvader654 said:

You'd think if there were gonna be issues we'd here about widespread failure of the kiosks, since basically what you have there is a PS4 on all day inside a small plastic case (basically a greenhouse). Not good news, but at the same time how many Taco Bell winners are we talking and are we sure they're who they say they are?

Some of them are legit, because one guy (I guess understandably) just acted a fool when it happened. Not sure about the others. I know there are already several thousand of them out there (people with PS4s, not failures).

#124 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

It's definitely a cause for concern, but we'll all see tomorrow. I am glad I have a backup coming in from Amazon.

#125 Posted by UpInFlames (13279 posts) -

The ones I saw on Amazon were like $100 or so.... maybe I was looking at an incompatible type?

I'm guessing that you must have seen a SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive) which is not SSD (Solid State Drive) at all. And the cheap ones ($100) run at 5400RPM whereas ordinary HDD's run at 7200RPM. So unless you're willing to shell out major cash for a real SSD (which is exponentially faster than both HDD and SSHD), it's actually better to just go with a regular HDD.

#126 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

lol yes they did. That was an awesome demo.

They should never take shooters and other core games to Jimmy Fallon because that is just cringe-worthy. This was hilarious and the crowd was into it.

Also, this game is free and now I want a PS Eye.

#127 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Shame-usBlackley: Ask UIF before you buy anything. Like he said, they are really expensive. You might want to settle for a 1 or 2TB 7200 RPM drive which should be faster than a 5,400 RPM drive the PS4 comes with. I highly doubt loading would be a problem next gen. At least on the PS4.

I think the PS4 is compatible with all laptop HDDs.

#128 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

lol yes they did. That was an awesome demo.

They should never take shooters and other core games to Jimmy Fallon because that is just cringe-worthy. This was hilarious and the crowd was into it.

Also, this game is free and now I want a PS Eye.

No surprise. Dr. Richard Marks has been developing (and evangelizing) motion controls for a long time now and he's very big on augmented reality. The presentation below is from 2001. He wasn't as comfortable on stage back then as he is now.

#129 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Gamespot's changing of the hard drive video shows that its now extremely easy. Changing the hard drive of the PS3 was a b!tch. When I called Sony and told them I needed new screws becaused I had stripped most of the (tiny) old ones while getting them out, the customer service rep didn't sound at all surprised.

#130 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69531 posts) -

15 more days for me :(

#131 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

I just received confirmation, from Gamestop.com, that my Playstation 4 has been shipped and it should be here sometime tomorrow. Now the excitement really begins!

#132 Edited by Floppy_Jim (25521 posts) -
#133 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
#134 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25521 posts) -

@CarnageHeart: Yeah, it most likely is. Would love it if Sony got the rights to Crash again though.

#135 Edited by MirkoS77 (6974 posts) -

Cleaned up my shelves tonight and now have a space sitting ready for my PS4. Told my 360 to take a hike. Damn, one more day. It's a bit hard to believe next-gen is actually here...it's been too long in coming.

My PS2 slim just crashed out on me though. :( Looks like I'll need to buy another although I'm hoping it's just a bad S-video cable. It has been having trouble readings discs for a while without a weight on top to keep the lid down.

Ah well, a little bad with the great. Bring on PS4!

#136 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

The only game I want to see set in space is Sony Santa Monica's space epic. I want my Star Citizen on PS4.

#137 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Anyone download the Android app?

I like how easy it is to send friend's messages. lol at the initial loading time though.

#138 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

If its Colony Wars I will freak.

#139 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Guess what today is???

One week till Zelda and Mario!!! :P

The Zelda reviews kind of killed my hype for the PS4 tonight, I much rather buy that tonight. I am excited about getting a new console and especially for the PS special tonight but the sad truth is that the least exciting thing about tonight is probably playing the games.

#140 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

3 hours until I pay for my PS4.

My balls are heavy already.

#141 Posted by Pedro (21003 posts) -

Lets hope its not DOA. :P

#142 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Almost time! And we get a mini Sony E3 like event too!

So what will be the first game you guys try out. Might be Resogun for me. I am going to download everything in the store, EVERYTHING. (thats free)

#143 Edited by Ish_basic (3955 posts) -

Really appreciate the way my GS is handling this launch. Got rung up at 6pm, receipt with a number in line and the serial number of the PS4 I purchased, so I can just show up a little before 12AM and get my PS4 in the same amount of time as if I waited outside the store all night. And there were quite a few unreserved consoles for people who were showing up out of the blue.

As an aside, there was general TV coverage and a journalist with press credentials walking around looking to talk to someone who was planning on selling their PS4. She didn't find anybody.

I kinda want to wait connect my PS4 online until we're sure the update isn't causing issues, but I really want to play Contrast first.

#144 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

I think my original plan was to reserve online temporarily until I had a chance to go in store and preorder. We'll somewhere along the way it just slipped my mind and now I don't think these asshats are even going to ship my unit until tomorrow and that means Monday at the minimum before it gets here. Just my luck.

#145 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Lets hope its not DOA. :P

you would like that wouldnt you!

I have a spare unit coming from Amazon tomorrow. I am S0lid Snake, i prepare for everything.

#146 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@dvader654: Killzone of course. It's going to be the only next gen game that will drop jaws. Well only PS4 next gen game. Ryse looks stunning as well.

#147 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I'm stuck way in the back, this is going to be a while...

#148 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I got itt!!!!!!

Bestbuy had us pay for it at 10PM, then I got back home to watch that abomination of a conference, went back at midnight. Was done in 3 minutes. It was brilliant.

#149 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: my best but sucks then. I am like 300th in line and we all paid for it already but they have to find your console, each has a number

#150 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: my best but sucks then. I am like 300th in line and we all paid for it already but they have to find your console, each has a number

Same. It took me three minutes, but they had two different lines for Preorders and people who bought it today.

Plus, I live in Ohio so we had maybe 50 people infront of us lol.