The Official Playstation 4 thread of GREATNESS IS HERE.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by RimacBugatti (1151 posts) -

I'm pretty excited as Greatness Awaits! I would have to say that this launch is as exciting as the Dreamcast launch although it would have been way more exciting with Driveclub but thank goodness Need for Speed Rivals will save the PS4 launch otherwise it would have been a real disappointment as far as titles available. Xbox beat PS4 to the launch but after that it's goodbye Xbox. :)

#52 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

OMG. Sony dropping Bombs everywhere. First they announce the Amazon PSN Store. Then Sucker Punch tweets about joining the European launch which either means that they are launching Infamous Second Son on November 29th or they are going to have a demo ready by then. Either way, Awesome news.

Then Keighley just tweeted that on Thursday we will finally see Sony’s new top secret R&D which could only mean the VR Oculus Rift Sony was rumored to be working on.

So let’s get this straight. They have Uncharted, Epic’s new IP, the next Street Fighter, Kojima and now their own Oculus Rift set to be unveiled on Thursday?

These guys aren’t playing around. I have never seen Sony like this.

#53 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

1. Sucker Punch sent out a tweet saying they were joined the PS4 Europe launch. Almost certainly just a demo, but one can hope.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=713763

2. Sony Online talking a bit about the future of MMOs. They acknowledge that Warcraft has a lock on its audience, so they are trying to carve out space for themselves by doing things differently. They are trying to structure their MMOs so that they can draw people who aren't willing or able to marathon for hours on end, but who will keep coming back to play in small increments.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/12/5093542/next-gen-means-huge-metamorphosis-for-mmos-dc-universe-dev-says

3. Contrary to some early reports, Diablo 3 can be remotely played using the Vita.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/12/5094418/diablo-3-on-playstation-4-supports-remote-play

4. Gaijin (a Russian indie making War Thunder) have stated that MS still isn't indie friendly and isn't big on either self-publishing or crossplay. The only exception their assertion I can think of is MS's own Project Spark. Since MS claims it is going to be providing the servers for 3rd party games, it would make sense that they would be extremely reluctant to let someone make a FTP game which MS wasn't getting a big piece of. So somewhat counterintuitively , Sony not being obliged to offer dedicated servers to everyone working on a multiplayer game might facilitate multiplayer gaming.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/12/why-war-thunder-works-for-ps4-and-not-xbox-one/

“Microsoft is much more close-minded than the Sony guys,” he asserted. “It’s really hard to get a free-to-play game on a Microsoft platform; you need to talk to them on a case-by-case scenario. And they’re not allowing cross-platform play at all. That means, in the current stage, [Xbox One] is not really the right platform for us.”

5. The Witness sounds cool but as a guy who sometimes struggles with puzzle games, I am probably going to steer clear.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/12/5093916/the-witness-is-a-puzzle-wrapped-in-an-enigma

"I want to build a structure where you start out knowing nothing," Blow told Polygon. "You gradually know some more things and by the end of the game you potentially know a lot, based on how you engaged with the game, but there is still space. It's not one of those things where it tells you every last detail and who thought what. There's room for you to fill in the gaps."

As players travel around the game's island world, they solve puzzles presented on panels. The panels are often integrated into the environment. How the puzzle is approached and viewed is itself a puzzle. The mazes are sometimes abstracts for the environment that surrounds the player.

6. Digital Extreme (makers of FTP Warframe) have stated that Warframe is FTP because they couldn't find a publisher who believed in it so they went ahead and built a single level and things proceeded from there. Looks like they have a good game and I hope things work out for them. I've already 'reserved' a copy (they offer credits and suchlike to people who reserve PS4 copies using their PS3s).

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/12/5093574/warframe-ps4-interview-free-to-play

So Digital Extremes took matters into its own hands and eventually came to see the free-to-play model as a strategy that could be bigger than casual or mobile games with which it's often associated. The developer believed it could be a way to create the hardcore game it wanted while retaining creative control.

"We looked at the free-to-play model and thought, 'Okay. This is a way we can make a game that we want to make without anyone telling us it's too strange, or it doesn't resonate with the focus group demographic test that we did, we need to see X, Y and Z,'" studio general manager Sheldon Carter told Polygon. "You can't argue with that stuff. You just have to kind of roll with it. And now [with Warframe] we got to test it out ourselves with real players, and real players love it."

7. Helldivers (a topdown shooter in which one kills aliens) will feature limited wars which players have to collectively win in two months. If they win, things get harder. I hope new enemies are introduced and its not just a matter of doubling the lifebars or something. The release date is only '2014'.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/12/5094230/helldivers-staging-global-playstation-war-for-humanity

8. Keighley tweeted that he is going to introduce us to the work of a top secret Playstation R&D lab this Thursday.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=713773

#54 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
#55 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Thursday night is going to be nuts!

New LOTR game unveiled at GI, maybe at the event too.

#56 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Done. PLaced my amazon order. Now I will have six games at launch. muhahahaah!

#57 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

MGSV will have exclusive content for PS.

I chose wisely

#58 Edited by BranKetra (47360 posts) -

This winter is going to be awesome and then Metal Gear Solid V will be available spring 2014. What could go wrong?

#59 Posted by NeverMore0 (972 posts) -

Don't know if this has been mentioned, but Amazon also gave me $10 off for no apparent reason when I used the GR8TNESS promo code to get the B2G1F deal, so the total price is $110+tax for 3 games.

I really hate that Virginia adds sales tax to online orders now, but that's another thread for another day...

#60 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
#61 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
#62 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -
#63 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
#64 Posted by experience_fade (253 posts) -

RESOGUN!!

#65 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

I just got Killzone and Battlefield in the mail. Why isn't it Friday yet.

#66 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@dvader654: Its worth noting that those games will be free at their launches for PS Plus subscribers, but neither is making the PS4's launch.

#67 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
#68 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@dvader654: Its worth noting that those games will be free at their launches for PS Plus subscribers, but neither is making the PS4's launch.

Oops, read that wrong.

#69 Edited by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

I've been checking Amazon all day to see when my system goes to "Shipping Soon" status. My games have all updated to "Shipping Now" and will be here Thursday. Now I just need to decide whether to create a new PSN account or roll my old one over. Have to get ready for RESOGUN.

#70 Edited by Metamania (11949 posts) -

It looks like I'll be going through my Xbox 360 collection and deciding what games I'll be keeping and what I will not keeping. One of the main reasons as to why I want do to this is because I want to see if I can pick up some more PS4 games with store credit. I'll see if I can accomplish that.

#71 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Just noticed Just Dance 2014 is a launch title (my total indifference to the genre must have made me block it out). My daughters would love it, but I'll let Santa give it to them.

#72 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

I've been checking Amazon all day to see when my system goes to "Shipping Soon" status. My games have all updated to "Shipping Now" and will be here Thursday. Now I just need to decide whether to create a new PSN account or roll my old one over. Have to get ready for RESOGUN.

I thought about creating a new account but when those cross promotional games (ie Flower/journey) were confirmed as free upgrades if you owned the PS3 versions, I decided against it. Plus at the end of the day, its the one everyone knows me by and whatever. Not a big deal.

As for the launch, I have it being shipped so definitely no midnight launch for me, I'm just hoping it arrives on launch day. Also won't get to hook it up until I get off work at 5. By then you guys will be bored with the thing :P. Unless I can think of a clever excuse between now and Friday without making it obvious since everyone at work knows about the launch lol. Guys don't touch your systems until 5, thanks.

#73 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

@Shame-usBlackley said:

I thought about creating a new account but when those cross promotional games (ie Flower/journey) were confirmed as free upgrades if you owned the PS3 versions, I decided against it. Plus at the end of the day, its the one everyone knows me by and whatever. Not a big deal.

As for the launch, I have it being shipped so definitely no midnight launch for me, I'm just hoping it arrives on launch day. Also won't get to hook it up until I get off work at 5. By then you guys will be bored with the thing :P. Unless I can think of a clever excuse between now and Friday without making it obvious since everyone at work knows about the launch lol. Guys don't touch your systems until 5, thanks.

Yeah, my Amazon listing says "By 8 PM November 15th" and the UPS guy that covers my route is kind of a weenie. I've had stuff show up minutes before 8 before. Hopefully that isn't the case this Friday. I'll be bummed if I have to wait until night to play it.

And yeah, I suppose there really is no reason not to roll my old account over. One less step in the process and all that, plus free games are always appreciated.

#74 Posted by Metamania (11949 posts) -

OMG. Sony dropping Bombs everywhere. First they announce the Amazon PSN Store. Then Sucker Punch tweets about joining the European launch which either means that they are launching Infamous Second Son on November 29th or they are going to have a demo ready by then. Either way, Awesome news.

Then Keighley just tweeted that on Thursday we will finally see Sony’s new top secret R&D which could only mean the VR Oculus Rift Sony was rumored to be working on.

So let’s get this straight. They have Uncharted, Epic’s new IP, the next Street Fighter, Kojima and now their own Oculus Rift set to be unveiled on Thursday?

These guys aren’t playing around. I have never seen Sony like this.

Wait a second...

WHAT NEW Street Fighter?

#77 Edited by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

I saw the PS4 in store today, I walked right by it. My friend grabbed the controller and said something to the effect of "holy shit, guy feel this", but I ignored him and headed to the games rack. Still waiting til Friday.

All the games were there except NFS which is good but I am looking for deals atm.

#78 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I saw the PS4 in store today, I walked right by it. My friend grabbed the controller and said something to the effect of "holy shit, guy feel this", but I ignored him and headed to the games rack. Still waiting til Friday.

All the games were there except NFS which is good but I am looking for deals atm.

lol same thing happened to me in Target but i picked up the controller because I had already tried it before. The had some demos available to play but I quickly looked away to make sure I didnt spoil the UI for myself. But not before i spotted the Fifa demo and played it for a bit. ;p

I find it absolutely inexcusable that they did not map the goal kick to the touchpad. It was an incredible addition to the Vita so why the fuck cant they mimic it with the front touchpad. I hate EA so much.

#79 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

lol the Antonio Banderas gifs are the best thing to come out of the PS4 launch. They get better everyday.

#80 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Sony worldwide president Yoshida says

“Well I have two Wii Us. I play Wii U games with my daughters, because they make pretty fun family friendly games.

“I think success or making mistakes depends on how you set your goal. I don’t know what was Nintendo’s goal when they launched Wii U. To me, it was a bit confusing because what they do really well was create some very safe environment for anyone, especially children to enjoy games like induct those people who have never played games ever to become gamers. And they always do very well.

“To me, what they have made with Wii U was continuing what they were doing well.

But the messaging when they were saying ‘we are for core gamers’ was a bit confusing. But this year I think they slightly changed their messaging, and it seems to me like they are coming back to where they are focused

“When you look at the situation around Nintendo that way, do you characterize Nintendo as our competition? I think in the bigger scale of things happening in the industry or tech or people’s lives, how they play games on what device, and how they start to learn to play games,

I think Nintendo and us are pretty much in the same group, and we need Nintendo to be very successful to help induct as many consumers who like to play games with controllers, right?”

Sony and Nintendo joining forces to battle the evil cell phone threat. I agree, Wii U + PS4 is the perfect combo.

#81 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
#82 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

“Well I have two Wii Us. I play Wii U games with my daughters, because they make pretty fun family friendly games.

“I think success or making mistakes depends on how you set your goal. I don’t know what was Nintendo’s goal when they launched Wii U. To me, it was a bit confusing because what they do really well was create some very safe environment for anyone, especially children to enjoy games like induct those people who have never played games ever to become gamers. And they always do very well.

“To me, what they have made with Wii U was continuing what they were doing well.

But the messaging when they were saying ‘we are for core gamers’ was a bit confusing. But this year I think they slightly changed their messaging, and it seems to me like they are coming back to where they are focused

“When you look at the situation around Nintendo that way, do you characterize Nintendo as our competition? I think in the bigger scale of things happening in the industry or tech or people’s lives, how they play games on what device, and how they start to learn to play games,

I think Nintendo and us are pretty much in the same group, and we need Nintendo to be very successful to help induct as many consumers who like to play games with controllers, right?”

Sony and Nintendo joining forces to battle the evil cell phone threat. I agree, Wii U + PS4 is the perfect combo.

Companies only praise competitors they think are irrelevant. Sony and MS praised the Wii in the run-up to its launch because they figured it would be what the Wii U is, a flop, but in the heat of fierce competition (which only lasted a few years), the praise stopped.

Nintendo, like Marvel and DC comic books, is normally dismissed in some circles as being for kids, but like Marvel and DC comic books, real kids stopped paying attention to them a long time ago (if it wasn't for movies, games and cartoons, 99% of kids wouldn't be able to pick Batman out of a line-up). Its grown men who weep with joy when a new Mario or Zelda is announced, not children.

If Nintendo were like Disney (or any other company whose primary audience is kids) they would roll out a lot of original IP and a good chunk of it would be oriented at girls. I'd say the only franchise Nintendo has which is oriented at kids is Pokémon (which on a related note unlike the rest of Nintendo's popular core games, has a lot of imitators, some of them commercially successful). Its telling that when Disney decided to make a kid's game, they drew heavy inspiration not from Mario, but Activision's Skylanders and Sony's Littlebigplanet (both franchises which are popular among actual kids).

It should also be kept in mind that the NES skewed much, much younger than any modern console and its library had more in common with that of the X360 or the PS3 than the Wii.

I'd be seriously worried about the future of the industry if Sony and MS relied on Nintendo and its tiny handful of franchises to attract kids to console gaming. Happily, they don't and are merely offering a toast to a fallen (for the generation at least) foe.

#83 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

OMG that Antonio Banderas thing is amazing hahaha.

#84 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

Companies only praise competitors they think are irrelevant. Sony and MS praised the Wii in the run-up to its launch because they figured it would be what the Wii U is, a flop, but in the heat of fierce competition (which only lasted a few years), the praise stopped.

Nintendo, like Marvel and DC comic books, is normally dismissed in some circles as being for kids, but like Marvel and DC comic books, real kids stopped paying attention to them a long time ago (if it wasn't for movies, games and cartoons, 99% of kids wouldn't be able to pick Batman out of a line-up). Its grown men who weep with joy when a new Mario or Zelda is announced, not children.

If Nintendo were like Disney (or any other company whose primary audience is kids) they would roll out a lot of original IP and a good chunk of it would be oriented at girls. I'd say the only franchise Nintendo has which is oriented at kids is Pokémon (which on a related note unlike the rest of Nintendo's popular core games, has a lot of imitators, some of them commercially successful). Its telling that when Disney decided to make a kid's game, they drew heavy inspiration not from Mario, but Activision's Skylanders and Sony's Littlebigplanet (both franchises which are popular among actual kids).

It should also be kept in mind that the NES skewed much, much younger than any modern console and its library had more in common with that of the X360 or the PS3 than the Wii.

I'd be seriously worried about the future of the industry if Sony and MS relied on Nintendo and its tiny handful of franchises to attract kids to console gaming. Happily, they don't and are merely offering a toast to a fallen (for the generation at least) foe.

You have like 100 of these replies already written out and ready to go dont you.

Your kids may have been shielded by the "horrible Nintendo" but most kids I know have Nintendo products.

#85 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

The thread title is inaccurate. Nothing Great about the current launch titles.

#86 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

The thread title is inaccurate. Nothing Great about the current launch titles.

But but the system is great and Sony loves us right?

This launch sucks.

#87 Edited by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

I have to admit, its refreshing seeing reviewers not hand out high scores and giving games slack for being launch titles. That always bothered me in the past. Games cost 59 so they should be reviewed approprietly, its not the consumers fault that they have hurdles to overcome with hardware and are on tight time constraints. Good on them.

Now with that said, something tells me these same reviewers might be a little more forgiving for the Xbone based on the last few weeks with them trying to control the narrative. We will see if reviewers dock games like Ryse for being shallow or Forza for cutting back substantially on features and cars.

#88 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@dvader654:

Yup. It’s shocking that a First Party Publisher like Sony with like 20 development studios produced only 2 retail exclusives at launch. I mean I’ve been bitching about this for months now and sound like a broken record at this point, but when you have a game scoring 3s ad 4s and the other scoring 7s, you gotta wonder exactly who thought this was going to be a good launch line up for a gamer focused console.

Putting GT6, Beyond, TLOU and God of War Ascension on current gen is looking like a terrible idea right now.

Forcing Guerrilla to make another KZ after the last one received mediocre reviews and bad sales was another fuck up. Though I think this game isn’t as mediocre as the reviewers are making it out to be.

Giving Cerny money to make Knack just because he wanted to make a Crash like game at launch was even worse.

#89 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@dvader654:

Like I said, Pokémon has kid appeal, but many of Nintendo's franchises skew much older.

#90 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@S0lidSnake:

Generally speaking I don't think its a good idea for a first party publisher to offer jumped up last gen games, but The Puppeteer would have been a much strong launch game than Knack.

#91 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Im not going to argue that Carnage but Nintendo is still big with kids, even if its just older people passing it onto their children.

#92 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@S0lidSnake:

Generally speaking I don't think its a good idea for a first party publisher to offer jumped up last gen games, but The Puppeteer would have been a much strong launch game than Knack.

No, I meant games like GT6 shouldve been designed from the ground up on the PS3. They were released in 2010 giving both devs a decent 3 year dev time to develop their next gen launch titles.

TLOU I understand since it started development in 2009, but GT6 releasing on the PS3 is simply inexcusable.

#93 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@CarnageHeart said:

@S0lidSnake:

No, I meant games like GT6 shouldve been designed from the ground up on the PS3. They were released in 2010 giving both devs a decent 3 year dev time to develop their next gen launch titles.

TLOU I understand since it started development in 2009, but GT6 releasing on the PS3 is simply inexcusable.

The new Ratchet and Clank should have been a PS4 launch game. Nobody even knows that game came out this week. It doesnt even need to have PS4 graphics, it could have been some half assed port job but at least you have a great action platfomer at launch that gets attention and is not Knack.

#94 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@CarnageHeart said:

@S0lidSnake:

Fair enough. I think Evolution Studios was a safer bet than Polyphony Digital (because they were better at shipping games on time)at the time Sony made it, but in hindsight...

#95 Posted by BranKetra (47360 posts) -

The funniest Banderas gif was the one with the PS4 shown piece by piece in 3D. The gif was just subtlely in there.

#96 Posted by marcheegsr (2412 posts) -

Got my games today. Now all I need is to pick up my preorder ps4 on Friday morning. Can't wait! Got Killzone sf for $39.99.

#97 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

The Playstation 4 app is now up on the Apple store.

#98 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

Just saw Resogun review....Looks awesome! A def must have.....Just read some read some addtional stuff on AC: Black Flag...It definitely looks like a must have multiplat for the PS4...

BTW...nice how my last post magically disappeared....Love the consistency

#99 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Taco Bell winners of PS4s are reporting in a bunch of bricked consoles. White light of death.

#100 Posted by experience_fade (253 posts) -

Taco Bell winners of PS4s are reporting in a bunch of bricked consoles. White light of death.

The units were shipped from Sony, too. That's what's worrisome.