The Official Playstation 4 thread of GREATNESS IS HERE.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Its finally here, next gen is here!!! On Nov 15th, the PS4 hits nationwide.

Price

: $399/€399/£349/¥38,980//$549Aus

Launch Date

● North America - November 15, 2013

● Europe/Brazil/Australia - November 29, 2013

● United Arab Emirates/Saudi Arabia - December 13, 2013

● Japan - February 22, 2014

ALL PS4s come with this:

I want this thread to be all about the launch day reactions. Your midnight launch stories. Your first impressions of the UI, of the controller, of the online service. Random game impressions are welcome but I think there will be official threads for the big games like Killzone, I will let you guys (probably Carnage) make those.

You want to set up a game night do it here. Want to share a stream you are doing, do it here.

I just picked up Killzone and NBA2K and I may get two more. I have my system all ready to pickup on midnight, I cannot wait!

DONT FORGET B2G1 ON ALL GAMES AT TARGET AND AMAZON FOR PS4 GAMES.

Lets get hyped up, these events only come once every 6 or so years!

#2 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I was going to boo you for not letting Carnage make the official thread, but then I read the post and Ok, you live to die another day. EDIT: Wait, this IS the official thread. BOooooooooooo! Carnage did not deserve your betrayal, you Loki inspired bastard! Hopefully he didn't have an OT already in the works.

I have CoD, Knack and KZ so far and am going to exchange CoD and Knack for BF4 and AC4 on Tuesday at Target.

Still pissed that I did not preorder KZ before. Apparently people who preordered KZ and nothing else are getting their Buy 1 Get 1 free codes. Been trying to order and cancel various games on Amazon so I can get a Buy 1 Get 1 Free code.

Might get Fifa and CoD.

I cant get a day off work at Launch but I should be up till 3. I want you to stream NBA2k14 since thats the only game I dont have and it seems to have insane graphics.

#3 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

RESOGUN

#4 Posted by experience_fade (255 posts) -

TWIN STICK SHOOTERS!

#5 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Nice thread. Here's a picture of my PS4 haul so far taken with a PS Vita (whose camera is admittedly crappy). I guess I could charge and even use the controller before I got the system, but I am going to save the unboxing for when I get the actual PS4.

#6 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

I'm still containing my hype until I have it in my hands. I pretend the launch is still months away :P

Definitely getting KZ, BF4 and probably NBA. Maybe during the drought I'll grab AC4, although I probably could have gotten it for free during the Canadian sale, I didn't want to wait hours in line. Holding out on Knack until its on PS+.

Vader, we can do 2k online, play on the same team (Heat) against others. That would be fun.

We haven't talked about Resogun much but one of the cool things will be competing on the leaderboards, since everyone will have it. Bring back the good ol days of Geo Wars and PJ Eden.

Anyway, it should be an awesome night since I don't know what the UI looks like, haven't touched the controller, kept away from almost all media for KZ, BF, NBA etc and finally because I've been waiting to be a PS+ member for a while, my Vita will benefit from it massively as well.

#7 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@F1Lengend:

I'm not looking forward to the leaderboard competition :). I didn't have too much trouble with Dead Nation, but SSHD beat me like a rented mule.

#8 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@F1Lengend said:

We haven't talked about Resogun much but one of the cool things will be competing on the leaderboards, since everyone will have it. Bring back the good ol days of Geo Wars and PJ Eden.

\

And I shall destroy all of you.

I didnt know if Carnage was going to make a thread or not, sorry. (no not really, I wanted to make this :P )

#9 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@dvader654:

I wasn't aware I was the PGD's official thread creator :). Create all the threads you want, I prefer simple posts to thread creation.

#10 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@dvader654:

I wasn't aware I was the PGD's official thread creator :). Create all the threads you want, I prefer simple posts to thread creation.

You've been creating awesome PS4 tidbit threads for months now. i figured you were planning on creating the official thread.

But I am glad it is my fellow SS member dvader, not Areez who created the official thread. Now that would've been an official disaster.

#11 Edited by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

You will all have to post your impressions once you get your hands on the PS4. This is the first console transition I couldn't give a damn about. A few games are visually impressive but that is just not enough to ramp up my excitement. Especially with so many cross gen games coming out and like a total of 5 true next gen titles. Plus I never cared for Indie games so Resogun doesn't appeal to me at all.

The only game that even looks mildly interesting to me is Killzone Shadow Fall, but this mostly has to do with the fact that I have played KZ 1-3.

#12 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

You will all have to post your impressions once you get your hands on the PS4. This is the first console transition I couldn't give a damn about. A few games are visually impressive but that is just not enough to ramp up my excitement. Especially with so many cross gen games coming out and like a total of 5 true next gen titles. Plus I never cared for Indie games so Resogun doesn't appeal to me at all.

The only game that even looks mildly interesting to me is Killzone Shadow Fall, but this mostly has to do with the fact that I have played KZ 1-3.

What a buzz kill you are. :P

There will be plenty of impressions here.

Just got a B1G1 at Amazon, so I bought BF4 and NFS Rivals. 4 games on PS4, paid for two.

#13 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69080 posts) -

Got to wait 18 days

#14 Edited by marcheegsr (2431 posts) -

I preorderd my ps4 back in July from gamestop. So Im really excited to pick it up Friday morning.

I have not preorderd any games as of yet. So many deals and promotions going on but I dunno what to do yet.

My plan is to buy Killzone sf, bf4, Fifa 14, AC Black flag for sure and maybe nfs rivals all by Friday. Im debating on where I should buy them from.

#15 Posted by Ish_basic (3898 posts) -

Both looking forward to and dreading the midnight launch (i'm kinda glad my x1 is just being shipped to me). It depends. The small launches at my GS are usually pretty fun since it's often the same faces, but the bigger launches can either just be sitting in a long line for hours or they might set up a tournament/game-giveaway like they often do, which is fun because we play while we wait but also not fun because someone always takes it too far.

Picked up KZ and CoD today, but I actually find myself more intrigued by Contrast. I am still easily amused by good lighting. The fact that lighting=gameplay in Contrast is just irresistible to me.

#16 Posted by BadNewsBen (1493 posts) -

I have mine pre-ordered through Amazon, and I'm waiting to follow through with some games on Tuesday. Probably going to pick up Killzone, NBA 2K, and Battlefield 4. Can't wait!

#17 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I think the thread title should be changed to Greatness is here, exclusives arent.

#18 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I think the thread title should be changed to Greatness is here, exclusives arent.

lol. I should turn this into the Knack super thread.

"Knack is here!"

#19 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

Well, it's hard for me to be too excited just yet. The main game I want for PS4 doesn't come out until February. So the PS4 is going to be my Christmas present from the family. Still going to get it on launch day, but going to have it wrapped and under the tree once we put up Christmas decorations.

Can't wait for InFamous: Second Son!

#20 Edited by BranKetra (47505 posts) -

I did not preorder a PS4, so I will be waiting for a while (I hope that will be at most near Christmas time). Greatness still awaits when speaking about me as a potential new console owner. In anticpation, I would like to be able to get a deal on some PS4 games. I might also acquire a Dual Shock 4 to play some PS3 first person shooters with some improved triggers and to have one ready for some local co-op or versus matches whenever fighting games are inevitably released.

#21 Edited by experience_fade (255 posts) -

This thread lacks the Knack to speak truthfully.

#22 Posted by AzelKosMos (34194 posts) -

Got the KZ bundle pre ordered and the 29th/30th of work for the EU launch. May pick up ACIV in December too.

#23 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

The offcial launch thread....cool. Speaking of Knack, I played it again for the second time. And I"ll leave it at that. I m hoping Kill Zone delivers the goods here.....Or else I m testing the ebay market and selling my PS4 for a profit.

Quick update regarding PS4 user policies...Some folks have expressed concerns over privacy in the past...Sony can monitor text messaging and conversations on the PSN now...Personally I do not think its that big of a deal.....

#24 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

So installs, Cerny said they decided against the auto delete for installs. Its going to work just like PS3, installs stay saved you choose when to delete them.

http://kotaku.com/how-mandatory-game-installations-will-work-on-ps4-1462283797

The good thing is that they will take a few seconds to start up without the install because of the background installation so it wont be a hassle like with the PS3. They better separate DLC downloads and patches from the install. That pisses me off on the PS3 that deleting the install deletes everything so if you ever want to play the game again you have to sit through loads of downloads.

#25 Posted by experience_fade (255 posts) -

@Areez said:

The offcial launch thread....cool. Speaking of Knack, I played it again for the second time. And I"ll leave it at that. I m hoping Kill Zone delivers the goods here.....Or else I m testing the ebay market and selling my PS4 for a profit.

Quick update regarding PS4 user policies...Some folks have expressed concerns over privacy in the past...Sony can monitor text messaging and conversations on the PSN now...Personally I do not think its that big of a deal.....

Strange there isn't a thread about this already.

I'm being sarcastic.

#26 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

1. Video of the PS4 UI. Starts at the 4:45 mark. Clean, simple and fast. Not as flashy or ad filled the Xbone UI.

2. Links to high-rez, 60 fps Gamesyde video of Resogun.

http://www.gamersyde.com/game_2802_en.html

3. An hour of AC4 footage.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/09/take-a-look-at-over-an-hour-of-assassins-creed-iv-black-flag-being-played-on-a-ps4/

4. Footage of Everquest Next, which will hit the PS4 sometime after it hits the PC (let them beta test for us).

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/11/everquest-next-landmark-gets-a-beautiful-new-trailer-and-a-boatload-of-new-videos-and-screenshots/

5. A game is going to be demoed on Jimmy Fallon this Wednesday. No word on what game.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/11/11/something-new-for-the-ps4-could-appear-on-late-night-with-jimmy-fallon/

6. An interview with the makers of the Witcher 3.

http://www.psu.com/a021601/Witcher-3--The-Wild-Hunt-inteview---the-power-of-PS4-and-the-evolution-of-the-action-RPG

You've promised around 100 hours of content. Can you give us an example of some of the activities/objectives that have you included to keep players engaged over such a long play-time?

With The Witcher 3 you’ll get 50 hours of main story arc quests - that’s a lot of gameplay time even on its own. The additional 50 hours are side quests, minigames and something we call monster hunts. Monster Hunting is an entirely new feature in the series. Since Geralt’s a witcher, his main source of income is slaying beasts. In the previous games, he did not devote much time to this because of being involved with political affairs. It’s different this time, though. Because of the Nilfgaardian Invasion, the political powers have other matters to worry about, and Geralt is free to roam the open world and get back to his roots. During Monster Hunts players will track down, identify and slay powerful beasts that are embedded deeply in the world they live in. It’s not a typical find and kill XYZ type of thing. We’re providing a backstory to every monster so players feel that they’re a part of the world and not just randomly spawned around the place. I think it’s really something.

8. Here's a trailer for free to play launch fps (whose existence I had forgotten about until I saw the trailer) Blacklight Retribution. Doesn't thrill me.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2013/11/free_ps4_fps_blacklight_retribution_customises_its_loadout

9. An interview with one of the makers of Octodad Dadliest Catch. In an industry where many try to make the complex simple, its interesting to see a team go the other way and make simple stuff like walking down a halfway complex.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/MikeRose/20131108/204392/Video_Interview_How_Octodad_went_from_student_game_

10. An insanely over the top unboxing video.

#27 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
#28 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I have not seen one resogun preview, I just know its a shooter from the Stardust team. Thats enough for me.

#29 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
#30 Edited by Ish_basic (3898 posts) -

@CarnageHeart: 4. Footage of Everquest Next, which will hit the PS4 sometime after it hits the PC (let them beta test for us).

Wouldn't that be nice. But my experience with SoE is that the beta test never ends. I will still of course want to be there on day one, because i'm just masochistic like that.

#31 Edited by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

Well, it's hard for me to be too excited just yet. The main game I want for PS4 doesn't come out until February. So the PS4 is going to be my Christmas present from the family. Still going to get it on launch day, but going to have it wrapped and under the tree once we put up Christmas decorations.

I'm with you here, there is nothing on the system I want until Infamous comes out (I was a huge fan of the first game, never played the second but heard good things) so I play the waiting game.

#32 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
#33 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Resogun has a total of five levels. We've already seen one at the reveal. I am staying away from any footage of Resogun and the PS4 UI.
Want to experience it myself. Only 3 days left.

#34 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

@GodModeEnabled said:

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

I'm with you here, there is nothing on the system I want until Infamous comes out (I was a huge fan of the first game, never played the second but heard good things) so I play the waiting game.

InFamous was one that really took me by surprise. I mean it looked good in videos and stuff. But I bought Prototype expecting it to be the better game. It was from the The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction team after all, so it had a pedigree associated with it.

I ended up playing Prototype in 2 days time (which is fast for me) and didn't enjoy much of it. I rarely trade games in thinking that I'd rather have them if I ever decide I want to play them again, but I took Prototype back to GameStop and picked up InFamous. I was flat blown away by it. It was so much more fun than I was expecting. It's my breakout PS3 surprise.

The sequel was OK. More of the same, which I guess is a good thing. The new powers were OK and the story was fine. A little sad that the underground traversal levels were absent, but it wasn't a deal breaker. And I really enjoyed that little Halloween vampire game too. Can't recall the exact title, but it was a blast and the new vampiric power set was a really nice touch.

#35 Edited by BranKetra (47505 posts) -

I got a Dual Shock 4 today. I would like to use it with the PS3, but it is not working with it.

#36 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

NFS Rivals has remote multiplayer. Two players can play, one of the TV, one on the vita, each get their own screen. Amazing!

#37 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

IGN, Polygon and PS Blog write-ups of Infamous and a few screenshots from the PS Blog. So awesome.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/11/infamous-second-son-is-as-much-fun-to-play-as-it-is-to-watch?abthid=52816ad39b79ae5e36000020

There’s something different about Second Son, and it’s the fluidity of movement. Sure, the parkour in Infamous and Infamous 2 was great, but there’d still be those moments where you were trucking through Empire City, hit a brick wall, and have have to climb up brick by brick. Infamous: Second Son is all about streamlining that process, and it seems to work well. Delsin can still parkour his heart out, but as I began to hoof it up the side of a building, developers from Sucker Punch nudged me toward a vent. I smoke-dashed at it, flew up through the pipe, and was suddenly soaring above Seattle.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/11/infamous-second-son-hands-on/

Delsin has a few more tricks up his sleeve, however. Our hero can drain the humming charge of neon signs and take on those powers for himself. Yes, “neon” can be a power, and it’s rad from top to bottom. Delsin’s blast becomes a bright streak of light, and his new, neon dash can send him flashing up the sides of walls in a glorious display of color. Sucker Punch is tightlipped on the other applications this power will provide, but the mind races at the possibilities.

The demo ends on Delsin face-to-face with a hulking soldier and his chaingun pal. But even the extra padding isn’t enough to save the soldier from Delsin’s tentatively named “karma bomb,” which sends our hero up into the air and back down again in a screen-wide attack.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/11/5092222/why-next-gen-graphics-matter-for-infamous-second-son

"The special effects system is sort of like one of the stars of the show," Fleming said. "This is a game about super powers, so for us, the way the effects look tells you a lot about how you're playing the game. It tells you about how much you've upgraded. It's a really meaningful part of the play experience that the effects are immersive and spectacular... it's as important as the AI."

Fleming said Second Son will run "solidly at 30 frames per second" on PS4, even when the action gets frantic.

#38 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
#39 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -
#40 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Launch MMO War Thunder supports not only a keyboard and mouse, but also flight sticks. I am going to play it with the dual shock, but its cool that the developers went the extra mile.

http://kotaku.com/surprisingly-one-ps4-game-supports-mouse-and-keyboard-1462525553

Planes are the main draw of War Thunder but playable tanks are coming soon. Dogfights aren't about wearing down a aircraft's hit meter. Rather, impacts on specific places can take someone out with the quickness. A well-placed bullet into the cockpit can kill a pilot, leaving the intact, otherwise unharmed plane without anyone to fly. Gajin's hyper-researched title will also have more than 300 aircrafts—bombers, strike fighters, fighters—to control in single-player or multiplayer. Look for it to hit with a launch across Europe-first on 11/29.

#41 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

Resogun has a total of five levels. We've already seen one at the reveal. I am staying away from any footage of Resogun and the PS4 UI.

Want to experience it myself. Only 3 days left.

I'm so proud of you guys *wipes tear*. You've become Captain Spoiler, but I'm still the General.

#42 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
#43 Edited by BranKetra (47505 posts) -

The Dual Shock 4 does not work with the 60 GB PS3. I am going to plug it into my 120 GB PS3 when I return home. Hopefully, it works.

Update: I called Sony gamer support and talked with a PS3 specialist. When I explained to him that there are reports about the Dual Shock 4 working with the PlayStation 3. He told me Sony has no word on that and to call again on launch day.

Even though this is related to the PS3, it is also related to the PS4 because the DS4 is part of it.

#44 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -
#45 Posted by BranKetra (47505 posts) -

I returned home and plugged my DS4 into my 120 GB model and some of its functions work. I tested it with Killzone 2. Pressing the basic buttons results in a response with those being the face buttons, L and R buttons, and analog sticks. The options button acts as start. The motion sensor does not work with the PS3, so I had to go back to the DS3. I will not give a report on how it feels and responds while playing until I use the DS4 with a PS4. If you guys would like me to keep this talk out of this thread, I can make a separate one.

#46 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
#47 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

GI on how Twitch streaming works on PS4:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/11/11/twitch-on-playstation-4-makes-brilliant-innovations.aspx

We had a look at how Twitch will run on the PlayStation 4 today at Sony's event in New York City. While the interface looks familiar, it offers streamlined usability not before seen on consoles.

If you've ever streamed from a console to Twitch and want to monitor the comments, you know you need to use a separate screen to watch the chat. Not anymore.

The Twitch app on PlayStation 4 smartly places the chat feed on the right hand side of the screen. Not only can you see how many are watching and subscribed, but you can see everything being said about your performance right on your television. Additionally, if you have the PlayStation Camera, you can add that to the stream.

We have to test this on the first night, I'll watch you if you watch me.

IGN has a blowout on the UI! Its sounds so AMAZING!!!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/12/playstation-4s-interface-and-features-revealed

Speed is the most noticeable improvement with the PS4 OS. Whether you’re checking out a video, loading the browser, or opening up a party chat, the system loads each function almost instantaneously. Games, on the other hand, are expectedly slower to load given the large file sizes. The home button on the DualShock 4 not only provides a shortcut back to the dashboard, but can also be used for multitasking, moving swiftly between your two most recent apps. Whether you’re playing a game and want to refer to a guide on IGN from the integrated browser, just double tap the home button and it will bring you back and forth between the app and your game.

The party and messaging systems have been completely overhauled and drastically expanded with support for cross-platform, realtime text, picture, and audio communication amongst your friends. Parties can include up to eight players and span all aspects of the system. Most importantly, messaging and chat is cross-platform, allowing players to communicate across PS4, PS Vita, and any smartphone or tablet compatible with the PlayStation app. On the PS4, players can craft messages the old fashioned way by navigating the on-screen keyboard wit thumbsticks or using the DualShock 4’s built-in motion sensors to move a cursor around the screen.

As previously announced, the PS4 will allow for a friends list of up to 2,000 friends and enable players to share and identify themselves by their real names. But instead of just automatically showing your name to anyone you add to your friends list, players must take an additional step to approve a player to see their real name.

#48 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73564 posts) -

Is it odd to say that I'm not excited in the slightest? I'm buying one to uphold tradition of getting systems at launch, and as far as the launch titles go, Knack is the only unique game in the crowd. WAYYYY too many FPS and sequels, and even sequels TO FPS. It will be a blockbuster launch, no doubt but such an UNINSPIRED launch. What's crazy is that... I think the Xbox One has the better launch library. At least they have a interesting looking FPS (which sucks that it's multiplayer only) and a Rome hack and slasher (which may not turn out to be very good). Ugh... I don't know...

#49 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Remote play hands on at IGN

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/11/11/ps4-remote-play-hands-on-impressions

*Doesn't like BF much due to latency, visually looks great

*Likes NFS - mentions stutters, nice visuals [Doesn't mention the local MP/2 screens tweet]

*Syncs on vita without exiting UI on PS4

*Works offline and online

*Talk about how the controls remap

EDIT

- They specifically said they were going through the

hotel's router

and explained other rooms would have been using the connection.

They were very impressed it workedas well as it did in a hotel, even if Battlefield had lag.

#50 Posted by Teuf_ (30805 posts) -

I think remote play could be cool, makes me kinda glad that I actually have a Vita. I'm glad it's built into the hardware so that all games will support it.