The Official God of War Ascension Thread of Bros Before Foes

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Game looks awesome, I'm not worried about the lower-than-expected review scores. Graphics and combat look as sexy and brutal as ever!

#52 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

^lol you will regret it when you get to the trials.

Let's play the coop mode today, yeah?

S0lidSnake
I cant today, its my Bday and I'll be busy. Plus I want to beat the SP first but after that I'm down.
#53 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -
The difficulty of the trial is going to be lowered via patch. I'll wait for that patch before I play through on hard.
#54 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

I wish I had the money to pick this one up. Will do as soon as I have the funds though. Are the Trials really that tough? This just seems strange to me, how would anybody compare it to God Of War 3 on Titan (hard) difficulty?

I managed to play through GOW3 on Titan difficulty a few weeks back in my spare time and it was incredible, a bit frustrating in areas but not overly so. Honestly I'm a bit worried about the core combat as GOW3 had the best in the series, so how does this hold up?

It seems like it lacks some of the great additions to 3. With the 3rd entry you had primary weapons, sub magic abilities and even items such as the Bow of Apollo, Head of Helios, Boots of Hermes. The aerial combat system was far more pronounced and fleshed out than ever before as well, items such as the Bow were no longer tied to the magic bar. The ranged grapple was a great addition, battering ram as well.

#55 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

^lol you will regret it when you get to the trials.

Let's play the coop mode today, yeah?

F1Lengend
I cant today, its my Bday and I'll be busy. Plus I want to beat the SP first but after that I'm down.

Happy birthday!
#56 Posted by Spartan_N7 (581 posts) -
The difficulty of the trial is going to be lowered via patch. I'll wait for that patch before I play through on hard.CarnageHeart
Source? The night I got to the trials, I got so fed up with it that I raged and tossed the controller. Damn near woke my son up too. The next morning, I tried twice and beat it on the second try. Am I the only one who thought the first wave was the hardest?
#57 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]The difficulty of the trial is going to be lowered via patch. I'll wait for that patch before I play through on hard.Spartan_N7
Source? The night I got to the trials, I got so fed up with it that I raged and tossed the controller. Damn near woke my son up too. The next morning, I tried twice and beat it on the second try. Am I the only one who thought the first wave was the hardest?

Here you are. I didn't think it was that bad on normal (I spent more time on the waterwheel puzzle) but like I said, I wouldn't want to try it on a higher difficulty setting.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/14/god-of-war-ascensions-tough-trial-of-archimedes-to-be-patche/

One particular section of Sony Santa Monica's God of War: Ascension has players quite miffed: the Trial of Archimedes. It's a long gameplay encounter near the end of the game, with no checkpoints and few health drops.
Game director Todd Papy took to Twitter to say the developer is "looking into patching it" now. "I personally tuned it. I didn't mean for it to be so hard. We are looking into patching it," Pappy wrote in one tweet. In another, he said the patch was likely to arrive "very soon."

Also, I agree that the first wave is by far the hardest (those two enemy types are a very, very nasty combo).

#58 Posted by Business_Fun (2282 posts) -

[QUOTE="Spartan_N7"][QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]The difficulty of the trial is going to be lowered via patch. I'll wait for that patch before I play through on hard.CarnageHeart

Here you are. I didn't think it was that bad on normal (I spent more time on the waterwheel puzzle) but like I said, I wouldn't want to try it on a higher difficulty setting.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/14/god-of-war-ascensions-tough-trial-of-archimedes-to-be-patche/

One particular section of Sony Santa Monica's God of War: Ascension has players quite miffed: the Trial of Archimedes. It's a long gameplay encounter near the end of the game, with no checkpoints and few health drops.
Game director Todd Papy took to Twitter to say the developer is "looking into patching it" now. "I personally tuned it. I didn't mean for it to be so hard. We are looking into patching it," Pappy wrote in one tweet. In another, he said the patch was likely to arrive "very soon."

Also, I agree that the first wave is by far the hardest (those two enemy types are a very, very nasty combo).

Excellent news (and if that makes me a wimpy weak-kneed excuse for a gamer then so be it).

Currently playing through Ghost of Sparta while I wait for this. GoS is my favourite of the five games I have played so far, partly because it shows us Kratos at his very worst while embarked upon an ostensibly noble quest. Kratos may have had it rough in his time but make no mistake, the man is as big a bastard as anything waiting for him on Olympus.

#59 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

They NEED to fix the audio glitches. No wonder the opening felt so lackluster, half of the audio was missing. The other half was delayed like most Sony games this gen. Killzone 3, Uncharted 3 had the worst cases of audio sync issues during realtime cutscenes and gameplay.

#60 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

The Digital Foundry has posted their impressions of Ascension's tech and the game itself (their take dovetails with that of Eurogamer, who prefers the multiplayer to the single player).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-god-of-war-ascension

God of War: Ascension - the Digital Foundry verdict

All in all, it's fair to say we've had more fun with Sony Santa Monica's multiplayer mode than its solo campaign - and for a number of reasons. Chief among them is that, perhaps inevitably, after five outings with Kratos these giant set-piece moments simply don't quite scratch the itch that they once did. Ultimately, we were keen to see the game's combat mechanics freed from its cinematic ambition which so often dominates the solo experience and this new competitive angle brings that out fully.

While there's a definite sense that the law of diminishing returns is kicking in on the single-player game from a conceptual standpoint, this doesn't detract from the scale of the technical achievement on offer throughout the entire package. For anyone looking to see what the PS3 hardware is truly capable of when pushed to its limits, this ranks as one of the most exceptional technical achievements of the current-gen era, convincingly up to the standards set by the likes of Uncharted 3 or Halo 4.

Side by side with God of War 3, the visuals improvements are vast - we're looking at substantial enhancements to lighting, physics, animation, and a radical overhaul to the effects pipeline, all of which serve to frame some spectacular action. The battles with titans such as Hecatonchires are stand-out, making for some of better roller-coaster rides we've seen from the series thus far. The only issue holding the experience back from true cinematic polish in our minds is the sound design, which has effects regularly losing sync during cut-scenes. It's strange to see such an oversight given the quality of the visual component, and this will hopefully be nipped by a future patch.

So, years from now, will we be looking back at God of War: Ascension as one of those key video games that defied the technical limitations of the host platform? From a technological standpoint, while its enhancements are legion, the game never astonishes in the same way that God of War 3 did in its opening levels. That perfect, brilliant melding of ambitious concept and technological execution and the sense that we were seeing something truly new and exciting just isn't quite there. But in the here and now, as a standard bearer for the state-of-the-art in PS3 tech, Ascension takes some beating.

#61 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Why is magic tied to the rage meter? Why? Who greenlit such an awful move? Why does the rage meter drain automatically even if you dont get hit? For a QTE heavy game this is a deal breaker in most boss battles. 

This combined with nearly all the combos locked to the rage meter has made this game's combat one of the most boring combat I've played in a video game. Square, Square, Triangle. That's what this game has become. Some might say it was always like this but nope, I always used other combos. Now they have locked away even triangle, triangle, triangle. Forget about the L1 moves. 

I fought three boss battles doing Square, Square, Triangle. God of War 3's combat was perfection. This is truly horrendous stuff. This game is one of the biggest f*ck ups this gen. 

#62 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Why is magic tied to the rage meter? Why? Who greenlit such an awful move? Why does the rage meter drain automatically even if you dont get hit? For a QTE heavy game this is a deal breaker in most boss battles.

This combined with nearly all the combos locked to the rage meter has made this game's combat one of the most boring combat I've played in a video game. Square, Square, Triangle. That's what this game has become. Some might say it was always like this but nope, I always used other combos. Now they have locked away even triangle, triangle, triangle. Forget about the L1 moves.

I fought three boss battles doing Square, Square, Triangle. God of War 3's combat was perfection. This is truly horrendous stuff. This game is one of the biggest f*ck ups this gen.

S0lidSnake

picard-facepalm.jpg?1240934151

Magic isn't tied to the rage meter. To use magic, you need to upgrade the items that give you elemental attacks. At the first level they just give you blades infused with the element and minor special attacks (and of course, a special Rage of the Gods attack). Once they are upgraded to a certain point, then you get magic attacks (which aren't tied to rage meter, but do consume magic points).

Also, as is traditional in GoW, additional combos are acquired by upgrading the blades of chaos (5 levels, roughly 5 new attacks learned at each level). The L1 attacks start opening up at level 2.

*Shrugs* But I honestly don't see why you bought Asencion after complaining that you were shocked and horrified that it got an 8 and saying it should have changed genres (to a dancing game or something) and that the director was a horrible person for saying he wanted to make a game fans would enjoy.

Clearly you have no interest in a true GoW game, so I don't see why you bought this one given all the other games out there (you spoke approvingly of Dead Space 3 in the NPD, but also stated you hadn't bought it). Since you are (to no one's surprise) unhappy with Ascension, why not trade it in for Dead Space 3 or something?

#63 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Magic isn't tied to the rage meter. To use magic, you need to upgrade the items that give you elemental attacks. At the first level they just give you blades infused with the element and minor special attacks (and of course, a special Rage of the Gods attack). Once they are upgraded to a certain point, then you get magic attacks (which aren't tied to rage meter, but do consume magic points).

Also, as is traditional in GoW, additional combos are acquired by upgrading the blades of chaos (5 levels, roughly 5 new attacks learned at each level). The L1 attacks start opening up at level 2.

*Shrugs* But I honestly don't see why you bought Asencion after complaining that you were shocked and horrified that it got an 8 and saying it should have changed genres (to a dancing game or something) and that the director was a horrible person for saying he wanted to make a game fans would enjoy.

Clearly you have no interest in a true GoW game, so I don't see why you bought this one given all the other games out there (you spoke approvingly of Dead Space 3 in the NPD, but also stated you hadn't bought it). Since you are (to no one's surprise) unhappy with Ascension, why not trade it in for Dead Space 3 or something?

CarnageHeart

Ah my mistake. I have just been upgrading the Blades of Chaos and four levels in and no L1 attacks have been unlocked so far. The Magic attack is also tied to the rage meter which should explain my confusion. I looked at the elements and just assumed the L1 unlocks were done after you filled up your rage meter. This explains a lot.

As for why I bought it, well I still like the series. I'm probably a bigger god of war fan than you or anyone else on this board. :P I just dont care for sequels that stick too close to the formula... much like almost everyone on this board who dont care for yearly CoD, Assassin's Creed, Halo and other sequels. Doesn't mean I wont play it. 

#64 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

^I also should've copied and pasted my post from ROF because it wasn't completely negative or a b*tchfest. I do like the art direction in the game, and the graphcis are just sublime. The snake level was amazing. Just an aweinspiring spectacle that you simply wont see in any other game. I have played many PC games and while I wont deny this game would look incredible in 1080p, there aren't ANY games on PC that manage this kind of scale with the gorgeous artstyIe and jaw dropping post processing effects. I cant wait to see what Stig is doing on the PS4. It's going to be amazing.

#65 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

I love your passion S0lid, but I think (and many of us are guilty of this at some point, including myself) you jump to conclusions and judgement too quickly sometimes.   No one said this game was the best God Of War of all time -- just a great action game, which I think if you step back you'll agree it is.    Probably not up to the overall quality of the other console releases, but that's an insanely high bar in any case.

This game isn't blowing my mind like God Of War 3 did, but I'm still enjoying it -- the astounding visuals, sense of scale, and the combat are all still there that have made the series great.  Am I crazy for saying I wish the game was even more brutal and gory?  :lol:   Sometimes when I see a kill animation I think to myself 'I wish that was bloodier and nastier'.    Anyway, I'm probably about halfway through the game and I'm itching for another Hecatoncaries-scale encounter at this point.  I hope the game doesn't let me down :P   

#66 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

Oh, and Dead Space 3 is a damn good game, despite the crying and whining about the co-op from some.   Feels good as a singleplayer game as well (I'm about 1/3 through it at this point).

#67 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I just misunderstood the new leveling system that's all. Imagine playing the first 13 chapters of the game trying to build up the rage meter and only doing rage attacks and no magic. It was infruriating. My fault, but still infruriating. 

I also figured out why i couldn't activate the magic. Apparently the only magic I've unlocked so far was the Aeries magic attacks, and I had different elemental blades equipped at the time I was trying to activate it. 

I am enjoying the game. I just said the combat was atrocious, but that's when I didnt understand it. It's still a great game, no doubt. Like I said earlier, the Snake levels were just an amazing spectacle that you simply dont see anywhere else. 

#68 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

I think I need to replay GOW2 because my GoW love has grown this gen and I never did beat that game. Or maybe I'm more partial to the current gen iterations now that SSM has the proper tools to get closer to their vision.  Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the genre but GOWs are so much fun and they have that ability to keep you playing.  When its ONLY about the combat system (I wont name names), then the game feels incomplete.  You need more then that to make a good game, every other genre gets criticized when lacking certain elements but this genre seems to get a free pass. 

While I look forward to SSMs new IP, I really hope they do GoW4 on PS4, taking everything to the next level.  And I agree with Jbul, I want and expected more gore tbh.  I havent finished the game yet but from what I remember of E3s demo, it was more gorey. 

#69 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
Just came in here to laugh at solid. :lol:
#70 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Just came in here to laugh at solid. :lol:dvader654

Dont laugh at me just yet. 3 out of the 4 magic attacks tied to the elemental powers unlock at the last level. 

#71 Posted by Blabadon (28009 posts) -
Ooh, I like the thread.
#72 Posted by AzelKosMos (34194 posts) -

Just came in here to laugh at solid. :lol:dvader654
:lol:

I had a point to type about stuff in this thread but it got lost somewhere due to Solid :P

#73 Posted by Saruman1719 (12466 posts) -

I'm close to the end. I would have beaten it by now but I sunk 5 hours into hard difficulty and reached a point I just couldn't get past...and it just wasn't fun for me up to that. I was dreading restarting on normal to slog through what I had already been unimpressed by, but I've had a lot more fun playing since doing so. I don't know, but Hard is actually hard for a GoW game. I had less problems doing Titan on Part III. I just finished a part or two where I was glad I restarted when I did because it was challenging even on Normal and I probably would have stopped playing after getting demolished over and over by the same enemies with shields and projectiles and the computer spamming them.

Overall, it is a good game and I'm a huge GoW fan, but I got to admit that it feels a little tired and the story just isn't there and it's not compelling at all. It's not crucial for me to have story in a game...the games most people cite as having "great" stories are nothing compared to books...but it's not the same going after the Furies, going back three weeks, jumping back to present day, and then going back two weeks again....compared to all the Gods/Goddesses from the original trilogy. I mean, it's a third prequel...

The boss battles themselves are mostly uninspired and a bit yawn inducing. There seems like less enemy variety than usual, there are plenty of audio glitches/dropouts, and it just doesn't feel as polished as it should. People claim the combat is deeper...I just don't see that. My post has mostly been complaints, but I'm giving passes to everything that is already there and I'm used to and just talking about the changes. I like the game overall and I've played a lot this weekend, but it's easily my least favorite in the series, PSP titles included, and I couldn't give it more than a 7 personally.

#74 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Trials of Alchemedies. Yeah. What a load of BS. This is how you pad the length of the game. Just plain BS. It doesn't help that magic is weak as sh*t in this game. I went into round 2 with all four bars of magic and it couldnt take down a single enemy. 

#75 Posted by Saruman1719 (12466 posts) -

Trials of Alchemedies. Yeah. What a load of BS. This is how you pad the length of the game. Just plain BS. It doesn't help that magic is weak as sh*t in this game. I went into round 2 with all four bars of magic and it couldnt take down a single enemy. 

S0lidSnake
I beat the game earlier and yeah, the trials was pretty tough. I got through it on a third or fourth try, but at first I was like wtf. If you can get through that first floor with a good chunk of health left, it's pretty doable on normal. I would have gotten destroyed if I even made it to that point on hard.
#76 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Ok so... not to beat a dead centaur, but I'm going to. 

That trophy... why was there controversy? I mean, I know why but what I'm really asking is really? 

Adam Sessler said that it happens after the "best boss battle in the game" and then says after it "displays one on of the most violent things I've seen in a video game" and to that I have to say: did ya even play God of War III?

First off, and it's silly and it doesn't matter, but I hope to God that isn't the best boss battle in the game... it was fun, sure, but it wasn't anything special. Secondly, guess I'll spoiler tag this

[spoiler] It isn't that violent. You punch her twice in the face, boot stomp her, and then impale her on a spike. Brutal, sure, but her face doesn't collapse like, oh, let's say, Hercules from GoWIII. That was a brutal death that made me uncomfortable as it was happening, as you literally watched his face collapse into mush. It doesn't even come close to the Poseiden concubine or the death of Helios. Besides, it turns out it was an illusion and then bam, she's right there laughing at you anyway! Also, the trophy pops because Orkos decides to interfere and aid Kratos, not because you killed a woman... [/spoiler]

So yeah, kind of feel the entire scene is blown way out of proportion simply because of the trophy name. Are we really so sensitive that calling an evil (and virtual) creature, that wants to tear you apart limb by limb, a degrading name it offends us simply because it has the shape of a woman? The trophy may of been in poor taste on some level, but does it deserve all the controversy that followed it?

#77 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Holy sh*t at that last boss. That has to be the most epic boss battle in the series, and hence the most epic of all time. Truly extraordinary work. NOTHING on PC I have played has looked this good. They saved the best for the beginning and the end, and I think the game kinda suffered from that because the middle of the game jsut wasn't that exciting. That stupid trial wasted an hour of my life, and pretty much outlines everything wrong with the game. It felt rushed and unpolished from start to finish. The camera was terrible and too far away from the action. The enemies looked too similar to Kratos and the evade and parry system just dont flow well together. The sound was off the entire game for me. It's almost as if they didnt play their own game. 

The story was god awful. I mean it makes God of War 3's story look like a shakespeare play. All those fancy trailers and interviews about exploring Kratos' human side and we get absolutely none of that. Kratos has like two lines in the game. Ready At Dawn knows how to show that side of Kratos. They should've been given the task to make this game because SSM just doesn't know how to tell a story. They've gone from decent (GoW1) to bad (GoW2) to ok (GoW3) and back to awful in a matter of four games and 8 years. Hire some women. Let them write this story. There is too much testosterone in this series. 

Speaking of Ready At Dawn. It is hilarious how much they borrowed from Ghost of Sparta this time around. The sliding sections, the entire final boss, the fire rage meter... this game felt like Ghost of Sparta 2 at times. If only the story was as good. Also, no sex scene? WTF?

The boss battles didnt do it for me either. Though I agree with the guy above me that Sessler completely overreacted on that one. It's cringeworthy watching a woman get beat up, but I've seen worse in a god of war game. Some journalists get just too sensitive on behalf of women and come off as giant douches themselves. The trophy made sense as well in the context of the game.

Now puzzles were definitely better than God of War 3. They do some fantastic stuff with the physics in this game. This along with Uncharted 3 have the most impressive physics in a game this gen. PC games dont even come close with all their extra horsepower. When I rebuilt that entire first level later on, I let out a wow. Amazing that this late in a gen a game has the ability to wow me. This happened multiple times during the last boss fight and some of the shots of the Apollo statue, the port and the snake levels. Easily the best looking game ever made. The IQ is CGi like. I have never seen a game look this good. I'll even say it looked better than Killzone Shadow Falls at times. 

I ended up liking the combat, but it doesn't do much with the 4 elemental powers. You are almost never required to use them. Like I said earlier, they had already perfected the combat with God oF War 3 and this feels like a half ass tweek.  

Lastly, QTEs. I liked how they got rid of some QTEs but they should've just scrapped them entirely. Because now you are even more confused. There is one boss fight where the game throws a QTE at you that you haven't seen in the game before. This is the kinda stuff I am talking about when I say rushed and unpolished. This is not something that gets past an AAA team. 

I started playing the game again straight away to experience the visuals one more time. They are THE reason to play this game. 

#78 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Holy sh*t at that last boss. That has to be the most epic boss battle in the series, and hence the most epic of all time. Truly extraordinary work. NOTHING on PC I have played has looked this good. They saved the best for the beginning and the end, and I think the game kinda suffered from that because the middle of the game jsut wasn't that exciting. That stupid trial wasted an hour of my life, and pretty much outlines everything wrong with the game. It felt rushed and unpolished from start to finish. The camera was terrible and too far away from the action. The enemies looked too similar to Kratos and the evade and parry system just dont flow well together. The sound was off the entire game for me. It's almost as if they didnt play their own game. 

The story was god awful. I mean it makes God of War 3's story look like a shakespeare play. All those fancy trailers and interviews about exploring Kratos' human side and we get absolutely none of that. Kratos has like two lines in the game. Ready At Dawn knows how to show that side of Kratos. They should've been given the task to make this game because SSM just doesn't know how to tell a story. They've gone from decent (GoW1) to bad (GoW2) to ok (GoW3) and back to awful in a matter of four games and 8 years. Hire some women. Let them write this story. There is too much testosterone in this series. 

Speaking of Ready At Dawn. It is hilarious how much they borrowed from Ghost of Sparta this time around. The sliding sections, the entire final boss, the fire rage meter... this game felt like Ghost of Sparta 2 at times. If only the story was as good. Also, no sex scene? WTF?

The boss battles didnt do it for me either. Though I agree with the guy above me that Sessler completely overreacted on that one. It's cringeworthy watching a woman get beat up, but I've seen worse in a god of war game. Some journalists get just too sensitive on behalf of women and come off as giant douches themselves. The trophy made sense as well in the context of the game.

Now puzzles were definitely better than God of War 3. They do some fantastic stuff with the physics in this game. This along with Uncharted 3 have the most impressive physics in a game this gen. PC games dont even come close with all their extra horsepower. When I rebuilt that entire first level later on, I let out a wow. Amazing that this late in a gen a game has the ability to wow me. This happened multiple times during the last boss fight and some of the shots of the Apollo statue, the port and the snake levels. Easily the best looking game ever made. The IQ is CGi like. I have never seen a game look this good. I'll even say it looked better than Killzone Shadow Falls at times. 

I ended up liking the combat, but it doesn't do much with the 4 elemental powers. You are almost never required to use them. Like I said earlier, they had already perfected the combat with God oF War 3 and this feels like a half ass tweek.  

Lastly, QTEs. I liked how they got rid of some QTEs but they should've just scrapped them entirely. Because now you are even more confused. There is one boss fight where the game throws a QTE at you that you haven't seen in the game before. This is the kinda stuff I am talking about when I say rushed and unpolished. This is not something that gets past an AAA team. 

I started playing the game again straight away to experience the visuals one more time. They are THE reason to play this game. 

S0lidSnake

I agree with all of that. That QTE you're talking about, is that the one with the half circle on the analog stick that came out of nowhere and was used only once in the game?

I think the elemental powers had a lot of potential. They could have made enemies weak to a certain element. I remember when the first statue enemy lit on fire and you can't hurt it, I figured maybe I could damage it still with the Poseiden element, but nope. I also know that if you kill an enemy with the souls of Hades you gain health, but it's so miniscule and useless it loses all semblance of strategy. Maybe it gives you more on medium, but on hard it was useless.

I think the game kinda felt like it was on cruise control, but there were moments of shining greatness. That last boss was an incredible spectacle...

#79 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I agree with all of that. That QTE you're talking about, is that the one with the half circle on the analog stick that came out of nowhere and was used only once in the game?

I think the elemental powers had a lot of potential. They could have made enemies weak to a certain element. I remember when the first statue enemy lit on fire and you can't hurt it, I figured maybe I could damage it still with the Poseiden element, but nope. I also know that if you kill an enemy with the souls of Hades you gain health, but it's so miniscule and useless it loses all semblance of strategy. Maybe it gives you more on medium, but on hard it was useless.

I think the game kinda felt like it was on cruise control, but there were moments of shining greatness. That last boss was an incredible spectacle...

IndianaPwns39

Yup, that's the one. I had to repeat that section 4 times.

100% agreed on the elemental powers being underused. I also tried switching my blades when that statute put on his shield.

#80 Posted by HipHopBeats (2699 posts) -

Are all the boss fights oversized, cinematic QTE set pieces? Would be nice to fight more human sized boss fights to at least fight someone equally matched in skills instead of dodging a super sized tentacle over and over.

#81 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Rented the game, should arrive in the weekend. Looking forward to it.

#82 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

dvader654

Let me save you some time

"Why does this game exist?  The story is lame and everything is worse than III.  They should have done something completely different or changed the character.  The graphics are crazy awesome though!

8.0/10"

#83 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

F1Lengend

"Why does this game exist?  The story is lame and everything is worse than III.  They should have done something completely different or changed the character.  The graphics are crazy awesome though!

8.0/10"

Pretty much. :lol:
#84 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

Just got the "Bros Before Foes" trophy and this game continues to be pretty awesome.  I honestly can't see how anyone, God Of War fan or not, would be "disappointed" in buying this game -- the game is still beautiful, brutal, and entertaining as hell.  I like the elemental combat factor -- I had trouble beating a recent boss, so I switched up my strategy to use an opposing element that gave me life, then one that gave me magic, and BOOM, I was good.  True, it doesn't have the "holy sh!t" factor of God Of War 3, but I honestly don't know if that can be topped with current hardware.  Sony Santa Monica remain one of the very most talented development studios out there, there is really no question.

#85 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

F1Lengend

8.0/10"

God Of War III is a once-in-a-generation achievement.   If this generation had lasted as long as it should've (5 or so years), this game would be on Next-Gen hardware and likely impress us like God Of War 3 did.   I honestly believe this game's biggest downside is its incredible legacy. 

#86 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

Are all the boss fights oversized, cinematic QTE set pieces? Would be nice to fight more human sized boss fights to at least fight someone equally matched in skills instead of dodging a super sized tentacle over and over.

HipHopBeats

I'm probably close to the end and no, they're not all screen fillers. In fact, almost all of the bosses have been medium sized and agile so far.  Meaning, bigger than Kratos but MUCH smaller on the average than GoW3's.   I actually wish they were bigger and more epic,  but it's a nice throwback to the PS2 games' fights of strategy, countering, and need for constant movement.

Oh, and your last signature girl was much hotter, and much less photo-shopped. :P

#87 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

[QUOTE="F1Lengend"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Jbul

8.0/10"

God Of War III is a once-in-a-generation achievement.   If this generation had lasted as long as it should've (5 or so years), this game would be on Next-Gen hardware and likely impress us like God Of War 3 did.   I honestly believe this game's biggest downside is its incredible legacy. 

Well to be clear, I don't feel that way, I'm just poking fun at vader, its exactly what he's going to say.

Perosnally I really enjoy this game, haven't beat it yet since I've been busy but I was look forward to getting some time in tonight.  I desperately wanted to play for the last 3 days but had no time.  I think its a nice contrast to 3s epicness, the last thing I would want is two identical games back to back, so now you could actually play 3 and be compelled to play Ascension since its a change of pace and tone.

#88 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

[QUOTE="F1Lengend"] Let me save you some time

8.0/10"

F1Lengend

Well to be clear, I don't feel that way, I'm just poking fun at vader, its exactly what he's going to say.

Perosnally I really enjoy this game, haven't beat it yet since I've been busy but I was look forward to getting some time in tonight.  I desperately wanted to play for the last 3 days but had no time.  I think its a nice contrast to 3s epicness, the last thing I would want is two identical games back to back, so now you could actually play 3 and be compelled to play Ascension since its a change of pace and tone.

Ahh, I see what you did there!  But yeah, Dvaders gotten grumpy and jaded in his old age. :P

#89 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="F1Lengend"]

[QUOTE="Jbul"]

Jbul

Ahh, I see what you did there!  But yeah, Dvaders gotten grumpy and jaded in his old age. :P

Tell me about it. :P As I have said before its this never ending gen.
#90 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

Beat the game tonight. Great game. Not as good as the other console releases overall, but it has some of the best moments the series has seen. The last boss battle blew me away, one of the most breathtaking boss fights of all time, and that's no hyperbole.  When the game shines, it shows that SSM are capable of doing things no other team in the industry can come close to  -- they are unfathomably talented.  

I don't nessecarily like the changes to the combat -- the parry ability is almost useless now, and sometimes I wish I could just grapple fools like in the old games. Also, no playing harder difficulties or obtaining trophies in New Game +? Pfft. There goes my incentive to replay the game. Simple things like this really help a games' longevity. It sounds like I'm nitpicking, and it's because I am -- there's not a lot of big things to complain about. Overall a great action game, only overshadowed by its incredibly intimidating legacy.

8.5/10

#91 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

I am about 5 hours in playing on hard and this game is kicking my ass. Hard is actually hard, wow. Anyway it makes it more intense for me so I like it. The game is still GoW so I still enjoy it a lot, this is a great game. 

That said some of the choices they made with the combat are baffling. What is up with parry? Now when you parry if you miss you are completely vulnerable, it makes parry more risk than it is worth and now you cant deflect projectiles back. Losing your normal power combos and tying that to the rage meter, are you kidding me, reducing your move list is a great idea... Speaking of the rage meter that has the be the worst combat mechanic in any action game. The meter takes forever to go up and you cant get touched, you cant stop attacking, and once you get it maxed finally you can use some power moves but if you use the super you lose the whole bar. It makes doing the super a waste. Trying to get the bar up is nearly impossible, you have to play super careful which means you attack very slow which means the bar is always dropping. To have almost all your moves tied to that is idiotic.

The elemental attacks add almost nothing which is a far cry from the weapon variety of GoW3. I cant even tell if the elemental attacks do anything different? Are some enemies weaker to some attacks, I dont know? What is the point of using them, I dont know? Their orb bonuses almost never show up. Trying to reach their magic will take the entire game so whats the point of magic.

The combat is a huge step back, it feels like a slightly better GoW1. At least the difficulty is making me play very careful so blocks and evades are important and I cant button mash, though I am beginning to think the button mashing was more fun.

Oh and what is up with the sound? This has some of the worst sound mixing I have ever heard. The music is too loud in parts with the sound effects sounding muffled. Effects are not synced with the action. Sound drops happen often. What a mess.

It is still GoW so I love the world I am exploring and the working in of some cool puzzles. The action can still be fun and thrilling despite the issues. This formula is very fun but this is not at the level of the other console GoW games.

#92 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

^Basically all the issues i had with the combat, yet you laughed at me. 

#93 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

^Basically all the issues i had with the combat, yet you laughed at me. 

S0lidSnake
You were right. Though I laughed cause you didn't realize what you were doing. Your complaints were valid.
#94 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -
What is up with the jumping in this game?! There have been at least 3 times where you are supposed to jump up to grab something and the game freaks out, you never grab it, you just keep falling down. The double jump doesn't work correctly cause it gets stuck by walls. Its a disaster.
#95 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

I am about 5 hours in playing on hard and this game is kicking my ass. Hard is actually hard, wow. Anyway it makes it more intense for me so I like it. The game is still GoW so I still enjoy it a lot, this is a great game. 

That said some of the choices they made with the combat are baffling. What is up with parry? Now when you parry if you miss you are completely vulnerable, it makes parry more risk than it is worth and now you cant deflect projectiles back. Losing your normal power combos and tying that to the rage meter, are you kidding me, reducing your move list is a great idea... Speaking of the rage meter that has the be the worst combat mechanic in any action game. The meter takes forever to go up and you cant get touched, you cant stop attacking, and once you get it maxed finally you can use some power moves but if you use the super you lose the whole bar. It makes doing the super a waste. Trying to get the bar up is nearly impossible, you have to play super careful which means you attack very slow which means the bar is always dropping. To have almost all your moves tied to that is idiotic.

The elemental attacks add almost nothing which is a far cry from the weapon variety of GoW3. I cant even tell if the elemental attacks do anything different? Are some enemies weaker to some attacks, I dont know? What is the point of using them, I dont know? Their orb bonuses almost never show up. Trying to reach their magic will take the entire game so whats the point of magic.

The combat is a huge step back, it feels like a slightly better GoW1. At least the difficulty is making me play very careful so blocks and evades are important and I cant button mash, though I am beginning to think the button mashing was more fun.

Oh and what is up with the sound? This has some of the worst sound mixing I have ever heard. The music is too loud in parts with the sound effects sounding muffled. Effects are not synced with the action. Sound drops happen often. What a mess.

It is still GoW so I love the world I am exploring and the working in of some cool puzzles. The action can still be fun and thrilling despite the issues. This formula is very fun but this is not at the level of the other console GoW games.

dvader654

The elemental combat opens up a bit once you get more of them powered up -- Hades is good for crowd control, Posiedon is good for breaking defenses (and enemies who constantly block), Ares is good for pure power, and Zues is great for quick and agile enemies since it's the quickest with the least recovery frames of any element.  Also, don't think of the Rage meter as something you should try to keep at max power.   Unlock the Rage Attacks and use them IMMEDIATELY once the meter is full -- they're like free magic attacks, that, if you're good at evading, you can keep using pretty frequently.

Remember the attacks that unlock with the elements are all different as well.   I found Hades, again, to be the most useful in most situations.  The abilities (L1 + Square and L1+ Triangle) are all ranged, so you can use them on tougher enemies while you evade.  

I do agree that they totally f***ed up the parry potential in this game -- it's way too risky to use now.   And the sound issues really suck.  Just wish they would've patched this by now.

#96 Posted by Jbul (4835 posts) -

What is up with the jumping in this game?! There have been at least 3 times where you are supposed to jump up to grab something and the game freaks out, you never grab it, you just keep falling down. The double jump doesn't work correctly cause it gets stuck by walls. Its a disaster. dvader654

Never had problems with responsiveness.  The timing is tricky on a few of them though, and some of the platform sections have annoyingly small windows of opportunity to make the button press.

#97 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

[QUOTE="dvader654"]What is up with the jumping in this game?! There have been at least 3 times where you are supposed to jump up to grab something and the game freaks out, you never grab it, you just keep falling down. The double jump doesn't work correctly cause it gets stuck by walls. Its a disaster. Jbul

Never had problems with responsiveness.  The timing is tricky on a few of them though, and some of the platform sections have annoyingly small windows of opportunity to make the button press.

Its not moments where you have to time jump, its simple parts where you simply have to jump from one platform to something above you.
#98 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

The elemental combat opens up a bit once you get more of them powered up -- Hades is good for crowd control, Posiedon is good for breaking defenses (and enemies who constantly block), Ares is good for pure power, and Zues is great for quick and agile enemies since it's the quickest with the least recovery frames of any element.  Also, don't think of the Rage meter as something you should try to keep at max power.   Unlock the Rage Attacks and use them IMMEDIATELY once the meter is full -- they're like free magic attacks, that, if you're good at evading, you can keep using pretty frequently.

Remember the attacks that unlock with the elements are all different as well.   I found Hades, again, to be the most useful in most situations.  The abilities (L1 + Square and L1+ Triangle) are all ranged, so you can use them on tougher enemies while you evade.  

Jbul

I agree with this. I enjoyed the combat a whole lot more on my new game+ run. I played it for nearly three hours straight and made it to the E3 demo area in one sitting. The rage attacks for both hades and posiedon blades are fantastic. It sucks because i focused on upgrading my original blades for 2/3rd of the game and missed out on everything else until my second playthrough. Making you start from scratch again on the harder difficulties is just a bone headed decision that nearly kills any incentive you might have for replaying the game. I could stomach it in the previous god of wars, but here they have locked magic, L1 attacks and even the Square, Square, Square and Triangle, Triangle, Triangle attacks. I dont know what they were thinking. 

#99 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

I reached the Trials and died three times where I stopped for the night.  This is going to be brutal I can tell.  I disagree with Vader, Hard is way easier than GoW3s Hard.  I never struggled like I did on so many occasions in 3, which is weird cause Kratos feels gimped in this game compared to the God he becomes.  The worst thing about the game is the lack of polish, all the other GoWs are nearly bug free.  Its weird to see  a staple of the series carelessly abandoned.  Oh well, the game is still fun overall. 

#100 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

I reached the Trials and died three times where I stopped for the night.  This is going to be brutal I can tell.  I disagree with Vader, Hard is way easier than GoW3s Hard.  I never struggled like I did on so many occasions in 3, which is weird cause Kratos feels gimped in this game compared to the God he becomes.  The worst thing about the game is the lack of polish, all the other GoWs are nearly bug free.  Its weird to see  a staple of the series carelessly abandoned.  Oh well, the game is still fun overall. 

F1Lengend
I cannot agree at all, this games hard is GoW3s Titan mode. I think it is because Kratos moves are a mess in this game where GoW3 had a combat system that made sense.