The New Generation of Gamer is Overly-Sensitive

• 103 results
#1 Posted by mark321123 (246 posts) -

Gamers old enough to have played Mortal Kombat when it first came out were not types who would whine about the socio-political content in videogames. It seems that gamers these days - at least the ones who get paid to review games for magazines and websites -are overly-sensitive to violence and sexism in games. Is this a new trend? Do they simply make these statements to seem intelligent? Or are gamers truly that offended by today's games?

#2 Edited by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

Yeah, gamers are really over-sensitive.

Someone makes the slightest criticism of their hobby or community and they start getting really defensive.

#3 Edited by BranKetra (48604 posts) -

Huh?

#4 Posted by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

@BranKetra: Pointing out that Duke Nukem Forever wasn't funny is gonna lead to the end of creative freedom as the PC gestapo comes to take away our hobby and invade our space.

#5 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

It's not the gamers. It's the asshole critics who have nothing better to do.

#6 Edited by mark321123 (246 posts) -

What I'm saying is that these same magazines and websites make statements about sexism in games like Batman: Arkham City while at the same time recruiting beautiful women to host their videos because they know it will give them more viewers - more 'male' viewers.

#7 Edited by Toxic-Seahorse (4128 posts) -

@mark321123 said:

Gamers old enough to have played Mortal Kombat when it first came out were not types who would whine about the socio-political content in videogames. It seems that gamers these days - at least the ones who get paid to review games for magazines and websites -are overly-sensitive to violence and sexism in games. Is this a new trend? Do they simply make these statements to seem intelligent? Or are gamers truly that offended by today's games?

I highly disagree with your general statement that gamers are oversensitive. However, you have the truth in your post. It's not gamers that are oversensitive, but gaming journalists. And even then it's all fake. Creating controversy gets more views, thus more money. It's purely financial. Make up some BS controversy in a game or games and watch thousands of gamers flock the article to disagree with it, giving them a lot of views and ad revenue. Gamespot has been guilty of this quite a few times, the Rainbow Six Siege article about female hostages being one of the most recent ones. However, a lot of other sites are much more guilty of it. It's an unethical practice in my opinion, but they don't care, as long as the money keeps pouring in.

#8 Posted by Dom_Hawk_basic (404 posts) -

@mark321123:

I don't know if it's gamers or a generation in general that has become more sensitive to a lot of things. For example we talk about bullying and how this affects kids personalities. Admittedly bullying is a horrible thing; I was bullied something terrible for being partially blind. However, children need some difficulties and some conflict in their lives or they are never going to learn how to deal with life when it becomes confrontational and difficult, which could cause rises in both depression and sucicide.

I think you would find that not all game journalism is like this. However, I do understand and support ones opinion and right to state that opinion even if I don't necessarily agree with it. For example the whole GTA fiasco, Did the reviewer in question bring up a valid point (yes), was it that reviewers personal opinion (proably), but, does that bias need to infect the review (probably not). Besides it's a game called Grand Theft Auto, what else do you expect from something like that, especially the fact that its suppose to be portraying a criminal underworld (guess what folks the criminal underwold also consist of sex slaves, its just a reality) therefore whether you have a problem with the game and its treatment of woman as unfair or not, its most likely probably factual and your opinion thereof most likely irrelevant.

Regardless of some whiners opinion, I choose to make my own on a game based upon it's merits. If I choose to look at its undertones of social commentary or not is my business and regardless of a metacritic score, it is my opinion in the end that decides whether a game is good or not. I would also like to say that I think it's a mistake to assume that every game is attempting to make a social commentary and sometimes a game is just that - a game.

#9 Posted by mark321123 (246 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse: I didn't mean to insinuate that ALL gamers were overly-sensitive, but I was pointing out a trend that I was noticing in several video game magazines and websites... And you are right to mention that it is the journalists that I am mostly calling out. I am not quite sure how today's gaming community feels about these so-called "issues." Although, as we post, there is another "controversy" stirring over the new Assassin's Creed.

#10 Edited by mark321123 (246 posts) -

@Dom_Hawk_basic: Very good points. I just feel like this type of gaming journalism will push gaming a step backwards. I remember the whole debate about violence games inciting violence. That discussion seemed to die down as video games became more a part of popular culture. Now other social debates are being generated. Are they going to suggest that sexist video games incite sexism?

#11 Posted by Dom_Hawk_basic (404 posts) -

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

@mark321123 said:

I highly disagree with your general statement that gamers are oversensitive. However, you have the truth in your post. It's not gamers that are oversensitive, but gaming journalists. And even then it's all fake. Creating controversy gets more views, thus more money. It's purely financial. Make up some BS controversy in a game or games and watch thousands of gamers flock the article to disagree with it, giving them a lot of views and ad revenue. Gamespot has been guilty of this quite a few times, the Rainbow Six Siege article about female hostages being one of the most recent ones. However, a lot of other sites are much more guilty of it. It's an unethical practice in my opinion, but they don't care, as long as the money keeps pouring in.

If I could put a thumbs up on this post I would :) great points there.

#12 Posted by Heirren (17075 posts) -

It is more complex than singling out the videogame community. It is the internet and social media that has done so.

#13 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71742 posts) -

@mark321123 said:

I think you're just talking about Carolyn Petit and Tom McShea mate

#14 Edited by Mesomorphin (821 posts) -

Friend, its not just gamers....its fucking everyone. Society have turned into a bunch of fucking over sensitive bitches that got nothing better to do with their life but criticise everything in existence and put their two cents on the matter. Aka god damn Hipsters.

#15 Edited by Xeno_ghost (683 posts) -

@mesomorphin: alright mate relax :P

#16 Posted by mark321123 (246 posts) -

So the new controversy over Assassin's Creed Unity is that there aren't any female assassins... Well what if the creators don't want to make female assassins?

#17 Edited by Ariabed (1105 posts) -

@mark321123: @Toxic-Seahorse: "However, you have the truth in your post. It's not gamers that are oversensitive, but gaming journalists"

You would think there's enough problems and social injustices in the real world to moan about without moaning about the ones in games, it's ridiculous. They are just games man.

#18 Edited by platinumking320 (666 posts) -

@Dom_Hawk_basic: I know right? And then when gamers call out this using of mccarthyist fear tactics to raise awareness about social issues they get shat upon. (which is a tactic that used to only exist in primetime and cable news-at least PBS and NPR would be a 'little' fair and lenient discussing video games *tangent*

I'll give Tom Mc Sheas editorial on Santa Barbara a pass because at least when he gives his thoughts about games and women he balanced out his op by saying essentially...

" dont stop liking the games you like but understand how its not pleasurable for everyone." Thats fair *end tangent*

but anyways...we call out the same media fear tactics used on rock, hip hop, heavy metal, rated r action & horror flicks, and we get lumped in with proclaimed bigots, deviants and harrassers. Or tacitly casted as "perpetrators-in-training." simply because we dont like pundits trying to guilt us out of enjoying controversial media, or making us constantly wonder if were borderline completely fucked up, and we believe we have the discernment to not mirror what we see into our real lives.

i see society does put tremendous stress on women with body image, and fear of assault. Maan that must be rough. They're very resilient. I'm lucky i'm a dude.

But The way we go about healing that stigma in online media could use some serious tweaks tho and we also put stress on everyone regarding our personal standards of dignity, and say "if only you were nicer or more prudent" when prejudice is 2nd nature to humans. theres too many ways to not 'measure up' in this world.

We cant seem to just be good people by welcoming people or trying patiently to understand them. Thats another sense of modern entitlement. People feel entitled to others respect and contrition, instead of just expecting general civility. and being too easy to trigger. starts altercations quickly.

Wanting to persecute people into goodness, just puts up walls. but i think people have to feel connected in some way ( thru gameplay, intellectually, personal knowledge ) to truly respect each others boundaries. And even speak well of someone when they're not present.

great posts ya'll. this sounds productive.

#19 Posted by Jacanuk (4487 posts) -

@mark321123 said:

If i understand you correct its not that they didn't care about the Socio-political content, its just that there wasn't anything to whine or complain about because what gamers did, was play games not try to make others feel bad so that you yourself can feel good about your own sexuality or gender.

The issue today is to much free time and that there is a platform for every idiot in youtube and the interweb.

#20 Posted by mark321123 (246 posts) -

@Jacanuk: That's right. I suppose they'll have to start including every type of individual into video games now = so that no one will feel left out... Wouldn't that stymie creativity, though?

#21 Posted by HipHopBeats (2897 posts) -

It's not just the new generation of gamers, it's the new generation period that is overly sensitive. There iss a scene in Demolition Man where Wesley Snipes describes the new futuristic world as a Brady Bunch, pussified version of it's former self. That's exactly what society is becoming now. Soft, emotional and self entitles.

#22 Posted by juboner (456 posts) -

@mark321123: They where brainwashed by their liberal teachers, super obvious.

#23 Posted by wiouds (5204 posts) -

No, they just have a wider area they can whine into.

#24 Posted by mark321123 (246 posts) -

So far, no one has wholly disagreed with me - so it would seems that is it mostly the game reviewers who feel this way, rather than the actual gaming community.

#25 Posted by Enfamous_Mr_BHC (146 posts) -

people been whining for years and generations. It's just more magnified now that people have platforms to express their thoughts and views on mass media and communication. I'd like to ask myself could you imagine the 1960s or 1980s if they had social platforms like facebook or a comments section on news articles?

#26 Posted by mark321123 (246 posts) -

@Enfamous_Mr_BHC: But apparently it's not the community who is whining - but the people who have and always had the vehicle to express their thoughts to the world where others couldn't - namely: journalists.

#27 Posted by gamerguru100 (10606 posts) -

Well, what do you expect from contemporary feminism and political correctness?

#28 Edited by HipHopBeats (2897 posts) -

@Enfamous_Mr_BHC said:

people been whining for years and generations. It's just more magnified now that people have platforms to express their thoughts and views on mass media and communication. I'd like to ask myself could you imagine the 1960s or 1980s if they had social platforms like facebook or a comments section on news articles?

Lol, that's true but they did have 'letter to the editor' and feedback sections in magazines and comics back in the late 80's - 90's. Some letters were whiny and bitchy, much like the internet is now and otheres well well thought out viewpoints.

Still, it was one of the most entertaining parts of the magazines. Except you had to actually take time, write a letter and send it through snail mail. Plus the letter had to be worthwhile printing so there was no room for trolling and idiocy. The internet throws all that out the window. Go figure.

#29 Posted by Enfamous_Mr_BHC (146 posts) -

@HipHopBeats: I agree, however it takes less effort and know-how now to express your opinion to the "world". Even with the editorials the big-wigs would only take the best of the letters or the letters that pushed their agenda.

@mark321123, the thing I can say about journalist and the large media in general is no matter how unbiased or thought provoking they want to seem. It's nearly impossible because of ad revenue, company meeting and lobbying and etc. When they have a vehicle to push their own train of thought they will because it's a form of freedom of what they are being encourage to push. I will admit sometimes the flame bait for them is tempting so not all of their editorials are productive or necessary but it isn't just black and white on why "they" bitch and complain.

#30 Posted by Bigboi500 (29906 posts) -

Anyone truly offended by any game's content has his/her cap on too tight. Same goes for films and books, personal opinions etc.

#31 Edited by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

@mark321123 said:

@Jacanuk: That's right. I suppose they'll have to start including every type of individual into video games now = so that no one will feel left out... Wouldn't that stymie creativity, though?

You mean like when the dudebro douchebags threw a bitchfit because Bioware wanted to put gay characters into their stuff?

#32 Edited by Minishdriveby (9977 posts) -

@mark321123 said:

@Enfamous_Mr_BHC: But apparently it's not the community who is whining - but the people who have and always had the vehicle to express their thoughts to the world where others couldn't - namely: journalists.

Oh no, the community is definitely whining. They're just whining about the whining. The video game community, especially as seen on GameSpot forums, are overly sensitive about any opinion that they don't agree with.

#33 Posted by bezza2011 (2521 posts) -

I understand what your saying, and it's all a non issue, they just pull this stuff up so we have something to talk about and your right, most gaming websites have good looking women presenting the news and in truth that is quite sexist, but then you have the counter argument of why can't she present it.

alot of young gamers now and critics coming through, have a very "I want it now" attitude, more than likely joined quite far in to a generation where games were everywhere, and now it's the start of a new one and games are scattered.

Games are games I don't care if there are males or females in the game, I play the game for the story and for fun, not to think of they should of let us be a female it's sexist, no, no it's not, it's there work, they can make what ever they want, if you don't like it go make your own games.

#34 Posted by Jacanuk (4487 posts) -

@mark321123 said:

So far, no one has wholly disagreed with me - so it would seems that is it mostly the game reviewers who feel this way, rather than the actual gaming community.

If you look at where this "critic" comes from its mostly from american media who has a strong liberal minded staff like Polygon, Gamespot and Escapist. And of course from mostly american feminists.

#35 Edited by -ParaNormaN- (816 posts) -

It's not only game reviewers. It's this generation in general. We live with a generation where just walking on the sidewalk could potentially get you sued for walking a certain way. People cry about anything. I could complain about my steak having too much fat at a restaurant and become the worlds biggest fat shamer on the media. Its ridiculous. It doesn't end there though, it's also the people who get behind these overly sensitive people and adapt to that lifestyle.

#36 Posted by Mesomorphin (821 posts) -

@xeno_ghost said:

@mesomorphin: alright mate relax :P

Haha Iam relaxed mate, its hard to build up a sweat over typing on a keyboard ;)

#37 Edited by mark321123 (246 posts) -

@PannicAtack: Was Bioware guilted into doing that? Or did they do it of their own volition?

#38 Edited by Treflis (11555 posts) -

I think this in a manner portrays how Game journalism has helped with the whole " We got soft skin" mentality going on in the Industry. Not to say we don't have issues and things to improve but we're slowly getting there and dealing with them. But in the meantime we will get alot of outcry.

#39 Posted by marlobc (802 posts) -

Whining about whining is whining too

#40 Posted by Luka024 (23 posts) -

Liberal prog drones have pretty much taken over the country. They were guilted and shamed into voting for Obama. They have been guilted and shamed into supporting the new definition of equality, which really isn't equality at all. It's all about divide and conquer and most of this new generation are so self centered they may as well be sedated cattle on the way to slaughter. My generation was all about being an "individual" and this current one is all about conform or die (be shamed and slandered where ever possible for not thinking like the herd).

#41 Posted by SovietsUnited (2302 posts) -
@The_Last_Ride said:

@mark321123 said:

I think you're just talking about Carolyn Petit and Tom McShea mate

Pretty much, they just whine how X is offensive to generate traffic

#42 Edited by LiquidButter (43 posts) -

Definitely not enough boobs in games. And whenever there is boobs in games, the professional journalists look down on it like it's a negative aspect of the game. I wish we could actually see a journalist look at some nudity and sex in a game and just admit it was hot and sexy. That it was a pleasant bit of eye candy and the jiggle physics were a joy to stare at. Stop being so afraid of being called sexist or a pervert. Stop trying to mentally castrate yourself. Enjoy it. You know you want to. Just let yourselves enjoy it.

#43 Posted by tmssmt (7 posts) -

Every generation says the same about the next generation

#44 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

@Treflis said:

I think this in a manner portrays how Game journalism has helped with the whole " We got soft skin" mentality going on in the Industry. Not to say we don't have issues and things to improve but we're slowly getting there and dealing with them. But in the meantime we will get alot of outcry.

Is the guy from the middle yahtzee?

#45 Edited by PannicAtack (21021 posts) -

@mark321123 said:

@PannicAtack: Was Bioware guilted into doing that? Or did they do it of their own volition?

They did it of their own volition and dudebros bitched because it made them uncomfortable and insecure.

#46 Posted by jwsoul (5297 posts) -

@mark321123 said:

To be fair i agree with the sentiment that they do this to try and make arguments. They consistently jump on bandwagons and try for moral high ground because honestly they are a bunch of sheep too afraid to have a different opinion. God forbid you argue that its just a game with violence, lack of a female lead or the killing of colored people! Glad a lot of people see this hypocrisy that's slowly been gaining ground, equality is as false as it gets women are miles behind men in social equality especially in choosing partners.

#47 Edited by Enfamous_Mr_BHC (146 posts) -

@luka024Liberal prog drones have pretty much taken over the country. They were guilted and shamed into voting for Obama. They have been guilted and shamed into supporting the new definition of equality, which really isn't equality at all. It's all about divide and conquer and most of this new generation are so self centered they may as well be sedated cattle on the way to slaughter. My generation was all about being an "individual" and this current one is all about conform or die (be shamed and slandered where ever possible for not thinking like the herd).

wow..just fuckin' wow.

#48 Posted by mark321123 (246 posts) -

Even when there is a female lead, I have seen "complaints" in video game magazines. For instance, I read that the portrayal of Catwoman in Arkham City was sexually objectifying... Well, it's Catwoman! Sex is is like one of her powers! But it seems to me that reviewers just point of these things so that they seem like they are the "modern male" - they're different from other guys. Like when a woman says, "God, I hate men" and a guy says "Yeah, they're horrible pigs... so what are you doing later?"

#49 Posted by Treflis (11555 posts) -

@jeager_titan said:

@Treflis said:

Is the guy from the middle yahtzee?

I have no idea.

#50 Posted by Jacanuk (4487 posts) -

@Treflis said:

LOL thumbs up for that one :D and its funny because its true.