What is the most disturbing, depressing or just plain creepiest game you've ever played?
For me it's got to be I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream. It's an old point & click adventure game where you play as 5 different characters. Humanity has come to an end, destroyed by a super computer by the name of AM (which is by the way voiced by the author of the novel the game is based on) which has somehow become self aware. It has kept these 5 individuals alive for his sick twisted satisfactions and has designed different torture based programs for them different characters to take. And this has been going on for 109 years! AM has made them virtually immortal, feeding them disgusting hard to eat meals every day.
- AM, the supercomputer who brought about the genocide of almost all of humanity.
- Gorrister, who tells the history of AM for Benny's entertainment. Gorrister was once an idealist and pacifist, before AM made him apathetic and listless.
- Benny, who was once a brilliant, handsome, homosexual scientist, and has been mutilated and transformed so that he resembles an ugly simian with gigantic sexual organs. Benny at some point lost his sanity completely and regressed to a child-like temperament. His former sexuality has been lost; he now regularly engages in sex with Ellen.
- Nimdok (a name AM gave him), who persuades the rest of the group to go on a hopeless journey in search of canned food. At times he is known to wander away from the group for unknown reasons, and returns visibly traumatized.
- Ellen, the only woman. She claims to once have been chaste, that it was AM who altered her mind so that she became willing to be the group's shared prostitute. The others, at different times, both protect her and abuse her. According to Ted, she finds pleasure in sex only with Benny, because of his large penis Described by Ted as having very dark skin, she is the only member of the group whose ethnicity or racial identity is explicitly mentioned.
- Ted, the narrator and youngest of the group. He claims to be not at all altered, mentally, by AM, and that the other four hate him out of envy.
This is some seriously twisted stuff! The game isn't even that good, voice acting is extremely average, graphics are dark and murky, animations are really weird and most of all the game is just plain creepy! I kinda like it, but the game is hard and requires lots of trial and error. Although I find nothing particularly wrong with creepy games, really. And the game certainly doesn't have a happy ending.
What's your pick? I find it hard to believe something can top this... but prove me wrong!