the MMO market condenses further gpotatoe & gala-net are gone

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

there was a time not so long ago where they was literally dozens of mmo publishers worldwide. many have fallen. realtime worlds, ncsoft (now owned by nexon  (though only via a technicallity) ). today we need to cheer because someone actually died that we wont be missing gpotatoe maker & publisher of so many broken fps's & generic mmo's is now dead. gpotatoe (enemy front) was aquired by fellow f2p mmo & fps maker webzen (archage, arctic combat, C9). they have also purchased their aprent company gala-net ( flyff, allods, rappelz )

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/01/webzen-buys-100-of-gala-net-gpotato/

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
MMOs are a plague. I know gamers who have stopped gaming to focus on MMOs entirely.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#3 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

SIMs are a plague. I know gamers who have stopped gaming to focus on SIMs entirely.

FPSes are a plague. I know gamers who have stopped gaming to focus on FPSes entirely.

Racing games are a plague. I know gamers who have stopped gaming to focus on racing games entirely.

iHarlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 iHarlequin
Member since 2011 • 1928 Posts

MMOs are a plague. I know gamers who have stopped gaming to focus on MMOs entirely.Black_Knight_00

Keyword here is 'choice'. While I agree with you in the sense that I dislike MMORPGs as well, other people don't. And if they prefer it to other games, so be it.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
Gaming games are a plague. I know gamers who have stopped gaming to focus on games entirely.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]MMOs are a plague. I know gamers who have stopped gaming to focus on MMOs entirely.iHarlequin

Keyword here is 'choice'. While I agree with you in the sense that I dislike MMORPGs as well, other people don't. And if they prefer it to other games, so be it.

Yeah, but missing out on 99% of gaming because you need to put all your time into some MMO (lest you lag behind your friends) is simply criminal.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Good enough, everytime the MMO market shrinks an angel gets his wings. If MMOs finally die I will be first in line to piss on the ashes of its rancid corpse.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Black_Knight_00
Good enough, everytime the MMO market shrinks an angel gets his wings. If MMOs finally die I will be first in line to piss on the ashes of its rancid corpse.GodModeEnabled
:lol: You know how I see the MMO market? It reminds me of Shang Tsung in the Mortal Kombat movie: he absorbs the souls of the people he kills and when he himself dies all the souls are released and are free. Same for the MMO industry: once it finally dies, all the gamers it has enslaved will wake up from their stupor and go on a frenzy to catch up with the hundreds of games they missed out on.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="iHarlequin"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"]MMOs are a plague. I know gamers who have stopped gaming to focus on MMOs entirely.Black_Knight_00

Yeah, but missing out on 99% of gaming because you need to put all your time into some MMO (lest you lag behind your friends) is simply criminal.

Someone on here clearly has never had contact with an actually well made MMO, Guild Wars 2 :D

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="iHarlequin"]

Justforvisit

Someone on here clearly has never had contact with an actually well made MMO, Guild Wars 2 :D

GW2 seems the least offensive, but unless they got rid of the whole leveling system, I think you'll still be compelled to devote most of your gaming time to it if you want to keep up with your friends and guild members and be in any way useful to your team.

I'm not saying all MMO players are in this situation, but I see my friends and those who got into MMOs play nothing but a single MMOs (whereas they used to play many diverse genres), with the exception of the occasional Bethesda or Bioware RPG every 3 years and even those they play in short bursts in between MMO raids.

It's sad to look at.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Yeah, but missing out on 99% of gaming because you need to put all your time into some MMO (lest you lag behind your friends) is simply criminal.Black_Knight_00

GW2 seems the least offensive, but unless they got rid of the whole leveling system, I think you'll still be compelled to devote most of your gaming time to it if you want to keep up with your friends and guild members and be in any way useful to your team.

I'm not saying all MMO players are in this situation, but I see my friends and those who got into MMOs play nothing but a single MMOs (whereas they used to play many diverse genres), with the exception of the occasional Bethesda or Bioware RPG every 3 years and even those they play in short bursts in between MMO raids.

It's sad to look at.

gw2's leveling system is a joke you can max out in 24hr of solid uninterrupted play or about the same in casual play. if you were to burn nothing but money you could hypothetically get to 80 in one 8 hour sitting msot of it would be automated at that

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Yeah, but missing out on 99% of gaming because you need to put all your time into some MMO (lest you lag behind your friends) is simply criminal.Black_Knight_00

It's sad to look at.

Zing, no. If you want to play PVP, it has a seperated Leveling System from the Standard, if you want to Play WvWvW EVERYONE get's scaled up to Level 80 automatically. If you want to play Events, thos scale everyone to the same level as well, though in WvWvW and in Events you still have your own equip, but equip, in this game, isn't everything. You can help out with buffs etc. as well which don't require you to have high level gear.

In this way, GW2 made a goddamn evolution jump.

But I can understand those who hate MMO's as well, I myself have wasted 1.5 years on Flyff, and seeing the difference, the evolution GW2 made is just bombastic. In fact, it's the very first MMO where I EVER have reached a Max Level Character, because it never get's old and you never have to grind your ass off.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Black_Knight_00
But I can understand those who hate MMO's as well, I myself have wasted 1.5 years on Flyff, and seeing the difference, the evolution GW2 made is just bombastic. In fact, it's the very first MMO where I EVER have reached a Max Level Character, because it never get's old and you never have to grind your ass off.Justforvisit
I'll just stick to single player story-driven RPGs
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23765 Posts

Can't comment on Galanet, but Gpotato were meh. Of course, competition is a goo thing. 

Obviously people who are putting that time in their mmos do so because they enjoy it. That one game can provide more enjoyment than a ton of other games... combined.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]But I can understand those who hate MMO's as well, I myself have wasted 1.5 years on Flyff, and seeing the difference, the evolution GW2 made is just bombastic. In fact, it's the very first MMO where I EVER have reached a Max Level Character, because it never get's old and you never have to grind your ass off.Black_Knight_00

Hey, I'm doing that as well, though also playing GW2 :P

Ni No Kuni right now, finally :D Oh, and Dark Souls ^^

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Justforvisit"]But I can understand those who hate MMO's as well, I myself have wasted 1.5 years on Flyff, and seeing the difference, the evolution GW2 made is just bombastic. In fact, it's the very first MMO where I EVER have reached a Max Level Character, because it never get's old and you never have to grind your ass off.Justforvisit

Not to pry, but what are your MMO habits? Do you belong to a guild, go raiding with a bunch of friends or do you just play by yourself for fun (much like a normal RPG)? I think we already established you're not the powerleveling kind of guy.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] I'll just stick to single player story-driven RPGsBlack_Knight_00

Not to pry, but what are your MMO habits? Do you belong to a guild, go raiding with a bunch of friends or do you just play by yourself for fun (much like a normal RPG)? I think we already established you're not the powerleveling kind of guy.

I started my own guild with 3 friends and we're growing, playing for fun there and today did our first guild raid on one of the story dungeons (Ascalon Catacombs), was pretty fun :) Playing just all alone for my self like in a normal RPG would pretty much kill all the fun for me in an MMO for the social options like chatting, helping out others etc. are pretty primary to me there.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

Justforvisit

I started my own guild with 3 friends and we're growing, playing for fun there and today did our first guild raid on one of the story dungeons (Ascalon Catacombs), was pretty fun :) Playing just all alone for my self like in a normal RPG would pretty much kill all the fun for me in an MMO for the social options like chatting, helping out others etc. are pretty primary to me there.

I don't know much about MMOs, but try to keep your guild small. I noticed my friends started getting really anxious about their leveling and gear once their guild started growing and including strangers. It's one thing to play with a couple friends who just want to play with you and don't care what level you are, but it's a completely different thing when you start playing with strangers who only care about you having a strong character who can help them out.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] Not to pry, but what are your MMO habits? Do you belong to a guild, go raiding with a bunch of friends or do you just play by yourself for fun (much like a normal RPG)? I think we already established you're not the powerleveling kind of guy.Black_Knight_00

I don't know much about MMOs, but try to keep your guild small. I noticed my friends started getting really anxious about their leveling and gear once their guild started growing and including strangers. It's one thing to play with a couple friends who just want to play with you and don't care what level you are, but it's a completely different thing when you start playing with strangers who only care about you having a strong character who can help them out.

Thanks for the advice, but in Flyff I was Guild Leader as well back then for about a year and the guild had about 50 - 60 members in it's best time, was pretty fun as well :P

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Black_Knight_00

Justforvisit

Thanks for the advice, but in Flyff I was Guild Leader as well back then for about a year and the guild had about 50 - 60 members in it's best time, was pretty fun as well :P

I don't know anything about flyff, but it doesn't sound like a grind-heavy RPG
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] I don't know much about MMOs, but try to keep your guild small. I noticed my friends started getting really anxious about their leveling and gear once their guild started growing and including strangers. It's one thing to play with a couple friends who just want to play with you and don't care what level you are, but it's a completely different thing when you start playing with strangers who only care about you having a strong character who can help them out.Black_Knight_00

It's pretty much the worst trash one could ever have played and it's grind heavy as hell. Well, with gpotato / Gala gone this problem should be solved though.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Black_Knight_00

Justforvisit

It's pretty much the worst trash one could ever have played and it's grind heavy as hell. Well, with gpotato / Gala gone this problem should be solved though.

Wow. I'll never understand why people submit themselves to that stuff.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Justforvisit

[QUOTE="Justforvisit"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] I don't know anything about flyff, but it doesn't sound like a grind-heavy RPGBlack_Knight_00

Wow. I'll never understand why people submit themselves to that stuff.

Neither did I....maybe it was because it was one of my first MMO's and I thought it had to be like that....anyways, times past now ^^

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#24 Jag85  Online
Member since 2005 • 19313 Posts

While the MMO genre is declining in the West, it doesn't seem to be declining at all in Asia (where the majority of MMO gamers have always been based).

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Black_Knight_00

While the MMO genre is declining in the West, it doesn't seem to be declining at all in Asia (where the majority of MMO gamers have always been based).

Jag85
That's because asian gamers love repetitive tasks: MMOs, JRPGs where you have to grind for hundreds of hours in order to beat a boss, games with no checkpoints where you have to replay long portions of a level every time you die, or even start the game over every time you die.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jag85  Online

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Black_Knight_00

That's because asian gamers love repetitive tasks: MMOs, JRPGs where you have to grind for hundreds of hours in order to beat a boss, games with no checkpoints where you have to replay long portions of a level every time you die, or even start the game over every time you die.

In other words, Eastern gamers like challenging games, while Western gamers like easy games.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jag85

In other words, Eastern gamers like challenging games, while Western gamers like easy games.

So, in order to make a game challenging they remove the checkpoints. That's not challenge, that's a middle finger and a waste of time
LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

The only one I actually enjoyed was City of Villains.

My biggest regret is wasting my life on WoW, wish I could have that time back.

F*ck mmo's, they're a disease.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Jag85  Online
[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] That's because asian gamers love repetitive tasks: MMOs, JRPGs where you have to grind for hundreds of hours in order to beat a boss, games with no checkpoints where you have to replay long portions of a level every time you die, or even start the game over every time you die.Black_Knight_00

So, in order to make a game challenging they remove the checkpoints. That's not challenge, that's a middle finger and a waste of time

To a lot of Eastern gamers, as well as old-school Western gamers, throwing in a crap-load of of checkpoints to make the game more 'accessible' would be like a middle finger and/or a waste of time to them.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Jag85"] In other words, Eastern gamers like challenging games, while Western gamers like easy games.Jag85

To a lot of Eastern gamers, as well as old-school Western gamers, throwing in a crap-load of of checkpoints to make the game more 'accessible' would be like a middle finger and/or a waste of time to them.

So you actually agree with me: for one reason or another asian gamers enjoy playing the same level and repeating the same tasks over and over again. Point in case: I'm playing Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and at one point you need to obtain an item dropped from a particular enemy, which means killing one, then going in and out from the room, killing it again, rinse and repeat some 50+ times before the items decides to appear. Waste of time.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jag85  Online

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] So, in order to make a game challenging they remove the checkpoints. That's not challenge, that's a middle finger and a waste of timeBlack_Knight_00

So you actually agree with me: for one reason or another asian gamers enjoy playing the same level and repeating the same tasks over and over again. Point in case: I'm playing Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and at one point you need to obtain an item dropped from a particular enemy, which means killing one, then going in and out from the room, killing it again, rinse and repeat some 50+ times before the items decides to appear. Waste of time.

No, I think you're missing the point. The lack of checkpoints in a lot of Japanese action games has hardly anything to do with performing MMO-like repetitive tasks at all. The reason why there's not that many checkpoints in these action games is to punish players who get killed. Why? Because, like in real life (though not to the same extent of course), there are consequences to death... You can't just die and re-spawn from the same spot. A lot of Japanese action games usully show this by forcing you to start from the beginning of the level (or half way) and having to go through it all again. As a result, it makes the player fear death (in the game) and make them try their best to avoid death, instead of jumping to their deaths and re-spawning from the same spot like they do in a lot of modern Western games. It's a game design philosophy that might seem odd to new-school Western gamers, but very familiar to old-school Western gamers as well as Eastern gamers.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Jag85"] To a lot of Eastern gamers, as well as old-school Western gamers, throwing in a crap-load of of checkpoints to make the game more 'accessible' would be like a middle finger and/or a waste of time to them.Jag85

No, I think you're missing the point. The lack of checkpoints in a lot of Japanese action games has hardly anything to do with performing MMO-like repetitive tasks at all. The reason why there's not that many checkpoints in these action games is to punish players who get killed. Why? Because, like in real life (though not to the same extent of course), there are consequences to death... You can't just die and re-spawn from the same spot. A lot of Japanese action games usully show this by forcing you to start from the beginning of the level (or half way) and having to go through it all again. As a result, it makes the player fear death (in the game) and make them try their best to avoid death, instead of jumping to their deaths and re-spawning from the same spot like they do in a lot of modern Western games. It's a game design philosophy that might seem odd to new-school Western gamers, but very familiar to old-school Western gamers as well as Eastern gamers.

I've gone through some 20 years of poor checkpoint placement and good riddance to that. I very much enjoy my save anytime features and frequent checkpoints. Though I think some games should have been less lenient, FarCry 3 for instance.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jag85  Online

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] So you actually agree with me: for one reason or another asian gamers enjoy playing the same level and repeating the same tasks over and over again. Point in case: I'm playing Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow and at one point you need to obtain an item dropped from a particular enemy, which means killing one, then going in and out from the room, killing it again, rinse and repeat some 50+ times before the items decides to appear. Waste of time.Black_Knight_00

I've gone through some 20 years of poor checkpoint placement and good riddance to that. I very much enjoy my save anytime features and frequent checkpoints. Though I think some games should have been less lenient, FarCry 3 for instance.

Likewise, I feel the same way about most of the modern "AAA" video games that are almost devoid of challenge. To each his own, I guess.

Anyway, back on topic...

When I was referring to the Asian MMO market, I was referring to China and Korea, not Japan. The MMO market in Japan isn't any larger than it is in the US, but it's China and Korea that are more obsessed with MMO games.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Black_Knight_00

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Jag85"]

Jag85

Likewise, I feel the same way about most of the modern "AAA" video games that are almost devoid of challenge. To each his own, I guess.

Anyway, back on topic...

When I was referring to the Asian MMO market, I was referring to China and Korea, not Japan. The MMO market in Japan isn't any larger than it is in the US, but it's China and Korea that are more obsessed with MMO games.

Yeah, that's what I was saying: I wouldn't call an MMO challenging, more like an exercise in patience, and it seems asian gamers have loads of it.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jag85  Online
[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"] I've gone through some 20 years of poor checkpoint placement and good riddance to that. I very much enjoy my save anytime features and frequent checkpoints. Though I think some games should have been less lenient, FarCry 3 for instance.Black_Knight_00

Anyway, back on topic...

Yeah, that's what I was saying: I wouldn't call an MMO challenging, more like an exercise in patience, and it seems asian gamers have loads of it.

Well, at least that's something we can agree on... While I was a former WOW addict at one point (for a month or so), all that grinding just felt like a huge, pointless, waste of time.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Black_Knight_00
Well, at least that's something we can agree on... While I was a former WOW addict at one point (for a month or so), all that grinding just felt like a huge, pointless, waste of time.Jag85
One month isn't so bad after all. I have friends who have 8 level 80 characters after some 5 years of WoW. They swear grinding for XP is the fun part. I call that stockholm syndrome.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jag85  Online
[QUOTE="Jag85"]Well, at least that's something we can agree on... While I was a former WOW addict at one point (for a month or so), all that grinding just felt like a huge, pointless, waste of time.Black_Knight_00
One month isn't so bad after all. I have friends who have 8 level 80 characters after some 5 years of WoW. They swear grinding for XP is the fun part. I call that stockholm syndrome.

Well, I'm just glad I quit when I did...
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Black_Knight_00"][QUOTE="Jag85"]Well, at least that's something we can agree on... While I was a former WOW addict at one point (for a month or so), all that grinding just felt like a huge, pointless, waste of time.Jag85

Well, I'm just glad I quit when I did...

Agreed