The Last of Us: Left Behind thread of more GOTY goodness.

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

The DLC for TLOU is out in a few hours. Lets try to keep this thread spoiler free. Mark all story moments please. This should be fantastic.

#2 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Reviews are up

IGN: 9.0

Eurogamer: 10

Gamespot: 9

GI: 8.75

Short but awesome.

#3 Edited by Kevlar101 (6101 posts) -

I am just confused about what the story even is about.....

I haven't looked into it much so it's my fault lol. Still, would like to know

#4 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Ellie and the friend she talks about in TLOU before she met Joel. Well that friend is no longer around in the main game so...

#5 Posted by Kevlar101 (6101 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

Ellie and the friend she talks about in TLOU before she met Joel. Well that friend is no longer around in the main game so...

Interesting. Seriously.

It must be a bummer. Having me as the first commenter.

:P

#6 Posted by blamix99 (1818 posts) -

getting it when i get home, can't wait....

#7 Posted by Pffrbt (6553 posts) -

It's too bad the gameplay for TLOU is fucking miserable.

#8 Posted by elkoldo (1038 posts) -

@Pffrbt: What the... ?May I request your presence for a moment or two in the backroom?

#9 Posted by Netret0120 (2083 posts) -

THIS is how you do DLC. Not that crappy $5 for one map crap.

#10 Edited by SirSlimyScott (266 posts) -

@Pffrbt: Really? I never had problems with it.

#11 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Let's not make this thread about Pffrbt. He's been bitching about TLOU for the past 7 months now. He's had enough exposure.

#12 Posted by SirSlimyScott (266 posts) -
#13 Posted by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

@elkoldo said:

@Pffrbt: What the... ?May I request your presence for a moment or two in the backroom?

I read an article from IGN that stated they improved some of the game mechanics, but I cannot seem to find it now. Anyways, TLOU does not have amazing gameplay, but the original was good enough to warrant a DLC purchase, IMO. And, that is coming from someone who does not usual buy DLC.

#14 Edited by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

just for clarity, there are many of us who think tlou is the second most overrated game of all-time with the honors going to the obvious.

this game has so many qualities that fail to meet basic standards that the dialogue, "cinematic presentation", characters and fluff can't hide.

it truly is a marvel, for me, to see such mediocrity viewed as a great game.

#15 Edited by Namgis (3575 posts) -

Good to see it's getting favorable reviews. I will have to hope for a/the complete edition in order to play it. I don't buy DLC, no matter the quality.

I'm really on the fence with the news that ND are considering carrying on the adventure in a sequel. It's good enough to deserve one, but that doesn't mean it should. I want ND to continue to try new things. One more Uncharted, then more new IPs. They should do a sci-fi title. Or even a Ludlumesque espionage game.

#16 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

I finished it, its fantastic though it is short and a lot of it is just exploring, maybe more than half of it which means second playthroughs will be very boring. It is a condensed version of the main game so expect to go on one hell of a ride of emotions and go from moments that are absolutely hilarious to heart breaking.

When the action kicks in we FINALLY get what I was asking for in the main game. Humans mixed with infected!!! I know that would make for such awesome gameplay and it does not disappoint. You can lead infected right to the humans and while they are shooting away you can sneak around and pick them off one by one. You can strategize who you want alive at the end, would you rather it be humans or some clickers. The final few sections are pure brilliance, I died over and over again on purpose just to try to get through in different ways. I wish more of this was like it, the first hour has almost no action at all.

It was worth it to me, I enjoyed it and I will go back and finish it on survivor.

Now spoiler time

The photobooth was so perfect, just one of those moments where it feels human, not like a video game at all. The entire mall was brilliant stuff, rivals any of the best quiet moments in main game. I loved the skull, "fuck you skull!" The fake arcade game and the water gun fight were both great ideas. Oh and Jak X trophy is hilarious.

Interesting that Ellie I guess is gay, is that what they were going for or was it just innocent love, I don't know. Its cruel of me but I rather would have seen Riley actually die, maybe force Ellie to kill her.

I had no clue this DLC took place during the TLOU story, I thought it was just a backstory. So I reallt enjoyed seeing how she patched up Joel, its just one of those moments in the game where you are like "ok she somehow treated a huge heavy man all by herself, yeah ok. Well now it makes sense.

#17 Edited by Ish_basic (4009 posts) -

just for clarity, there are many of us who think tlou is the second most overrated game of all-time with the honors going to the obvious.

this game has so many qualities that fail to meet basic standards that the dialogue, "cinematic presentation", characters and fluff can't hide.

Do you always react this way to a difference of opinions or did someone not stuff a dollar into your paper cup at work today?

#18 Posted by gamingqueen (31076 posts) -

I agree.

*hides*

#19 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11469 posts) -

Okay, now be honest, how much of it is Cutscenes ?

#20 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Okay, now be honest, how much of it is Cutscenes ?

What do you quantify as a cutscene? An actual cutscene or moments where you just walk while they talk?

If its the latter, 50/50

#21 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11469 posts) -

@ dvader654

I describe cutscenes as moments of complete user inactivity. Most people hate it when all a game lets you do is just walk while others talk, and I'm no different. BUT ! Still don't like cutscenes no matter how cinematic or profound or even seemless they are. If walking is all they got.... I'l take it, atleast thats up to me, if I stop they have to stop too. You gotta love that autonomy. :p

#22 Edited by Ish_basic (4009 posts) -

@ dvader654

I describe cutscenes as moments of complete user inactivity. Most people hate it when all a game lets you do is just walk while others talk, and I'm no different. BUT ! Still don't like cutscenes no matter how cinematic or profound or even seemless they are. If walking is all they got.... I'l take it, atleast thats up to me, if I stop they have to stop too. You gotta love that autonomy. :p

What about those cutscenes where they make you slow walk to give the conversation enough time to finish? I'd consider that a cutscene, too. I'd prefer the full-on cutscene to a slow walk scene. The latter are just annoying to me for some reason.

#23 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11469 posts) -

@ Ish_basic

What you consider a cutscene and what actually is a cutscene are two different things. As for your preferences, well I can't dispute a preference.

#24 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7404 posts) -

@SirSlimyScrotum said:

Let's not make this thread about Pffrbt. He's been bitching about TLOU for the past 7 months now. He's had enough exposure.

He thinks everything sucks. He's such a fun-killer. :(

#25 Posted by Pffrbt (6553 posts) -

It's incredibly monotonous and boring. Just god awful excruciating to play.

#27 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:

He thinks everything sucks.

No, only crappy games.

@S0lidSnake said:

No, TLOU has had enough exposure. It's a tedious, generic, ponderous TPS that does absolutely nothing interesting or worthwhile and doesn't deserve even a tenth of the praise it gets.

Why are you in here, you dont care about the game so leave. You are trolling, go away.

#28 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

And once again I find myself on Gamespot wondering why I even show up. The same people who move from thread to thread whining about the same things over and over like f*****g clockwork are at it again. We gots dat Troll infestation gaiz.

I'm currently downloading Left Behind and will post a review on Youtube upon completion. Hopefully it's a great experience just as TLOU was. Nice impressions @dvader654 Glad to see you enjoyed it.

#29 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

And once again I find myself on Gamespot wondering why I even show up. The same people who move from thread to thread whining about the same things over and over like f*****g clockwork are at it again. We gots dat Troll infestation gaiz.

I'm currently downloading Left Behind and will post a review on Youtube upon completion. Hopefully it's a great experience just as TLOU was. Nice impressions @dvader654 Glad to see you enjoyed it.

Let us know what you think. Its really great and so well done.

#30 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Pffrbt: Did you get it out of your system? Can you please leave now?

#31 Edited by Randolph (10500 posts) -

The best way to deal with someone if you think they are just trolling for attention is to post right around them. It infuriates them to no end, but they can't really DO anything about tit because you aren't giving them anything to work with. For months now any time someone tries to get under my skin and get a rise out of me, I find another reply to reply to and go around them, continuing the discussion and making it clear to them they are irrelevant to me.

Actions speak louder than words. Calling someone out for trolling doesn't work, blowing them off completely on the other hand, has a proven track record. Just saying. ;)

#32 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Randolph: Is it? Then why is this forum littered with trolls? We have actually ignored them for too long and let them continuously shit on this board. There is absolutely zero reason a thread about a DLC for a game should have any room for people who disliked a game with such passion as Prrfbt does.

Also, ignoring doesn't work. If it did, I wouldn't be getting replies from people I stopped replying to six fucking months ago.

#33 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (11469 posts) -

@ S0lidSnake

Because Trolls are not on the same side, they troll amongst them selves to keep that troll fire birning, and then ofcourse you have regular morons who just can't help themselves.

I interned as a troll...... You learn things

#34 Posted by Pffrbt (6553 posts) -

Why are you in here, you dont care about the game so leave.

If I didn't care about the game I wouldn't have played it in the first place. I played it, it's shit, I'm going to talk about the game just like everyone else who played it is.

#35 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11469 posts) -

^ Makes an Excellent point. ^

I also found weird when people get together to praise an overated games and can't handle alittle critism. And the more overated the game, the harsher the critism.

#36 Edited by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

This is not the Last of us thread, this is the Left Behind thread. If you have nothing to contribute or haven't played the game, you shouldn't be in here taking the discussion off topic.

#37 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (11469 posts) -

^ Another Excellent point. ^

#41 Posted by MirkoS77 (7321 posts) -

I believe I'm almost finished with it so far. It's more TLoU, and I'm not disappointed just as I knew I wouldn't be. Having the hunters and infected in the mix is brilliant, and now makes me wish they had used this in the main game. Throwing a brick into the midst of enemies to have them be overrun and watching the ensuing chaos is extremely gratifying. Perhaps this will be more prelevant in the sequel. I enjoyed the focus on exploration more, and the character development and relationship between Ellie and Riley was extremely well-executed. In fact, I've not seen such good character development done in any game in a long while. ND are becoming masters at this.

Spoilers:

-loved the ferris wheel and watergun fight.

-Ellie swings AC/DC? Wasn't really expecting that, although I had a slight feeling things were heading in that direction. Unless (like Vader said) it's just a show of innocent love. But then again, innocent love can be conveyed without a serious kiss on the lips. Hard to tell what ND meant, it feels they left a lot open to interpretation.

-what the heck is up with the "stalkers"? I heard Ellie calling some of the infected this (the area with the electrified water), but I didn't notice any distinction between them and runners.

All in all, very well done DLC and worth the price. I still noticed a few framerate drops here and there just as in the original, hopefully TLoU+this DLC will be released together for the PS4 soon as a GotY edition that remedies these issues.

#43 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@MirkoS77: "Pffrbt, you have nothing of worth to say here."

I disagree.

"Why are you here?"

To talk about the game.

"This thread is about the DLC, of which I doubt you have played."

Unless this DLC is somehow a radically different than TLOU then my criticisms of TLOU are equally valid here. Also god no why would I ever subject myself to more of this game.

Please dont subject us to more of yourself in this thread. go away.

#44 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -
@MirkoS77 said:

I believe I'm almost finished with it so far. It's more TLoU, and I'm not disappointed just as I knew I wouldn't be. Having the hunters and infected in the mix is brilliant, and now makes me wish they had used this in the main game. Throwing a brick into the midst of enemies to have them be overrun and watching the ensuing chaos is extremely gratifying. Perhaps this will be more prelevant in the sequel. I enjoyed the focus on exploration more, and the character development and relationship between Ellie and Riley was extremely well-executed. In fact, I've not seen such good character development done in any game in a long while. ND are becoming masters at this.

Spoilers:

-loved the ferris wheel and watergun fight.

-Ellie swings AC/DC? Wasn't really expecting that, although I had a slight feeling things were heading in that direction. Unless (like Vader said) it's just a show of innocent love. But then again, innocent love can be conveyed without a serious kiss on the lips. Hard to tell what ND meant, it feels they left a lot open to interpretation.

-what the heck is up with the "stalkers"? I heard Ellie calling some of the infected this (the area with the electrified water), but I didn't notice any distinction between them and runners.

All in all, very well done DLC and worth the price. I still noticed a few framerate drops here and there just as in the original, hopefully TLoU+this DLC will be released together for the PS4 soon as a GotY edition that remedies these issues.

Pretty much agree in every way. Its such a well put together DLC, highlights everything that is great about the main game and puts it into a nice small package. Storytelling at its very best.

Infected vs humans is the way to go for the sequel. Hell there should be a multiplayer mode where infected invade the battlefield.

I also never could tell the difference between stalker and runner, that's in the main game too, I never noticed any difference. Maybe one takes more hits.

#45 Posted by c_rakestraw (14614 posts) -

@Pffrbt: Take a day off. Maybe you'll learn to play nice by the time you're back. I'm all for people contributing opposing viewpoints, but all you've been doing is purposefully stirring trouble. Stop it.

#46 Posted by SoNin360 (5438 posts) -

I played through this last night and it met my expectations, which were fairly high. Even knowing how long it was going to be jumping into it, I still felt it was a little too short to truly get into like I did with the main game. However, it made pretty good use of this time.

I liked that it switched between Ellie and Riley's story to a point in the main game right after Joel gets injured that we didn't get to see before. It felt like an excuse to implement some combat including the new concept of mixing people and infected into the same situations, but I still enjoyed those sections. I think I understand why the story was told like this (to show how much Ellie has developed or something) but I would like an explanation of the purpose of doing this, if what I'm trying to say is wrong.

Aside from its brevity, my only complaint was the ending. It was well done and ended right where you know what's going to happen, but I just wanted a bit more from that final scene. I wanted to see Ellie have to leave her behind (after all, it's called "Left Behind") I think that would have left more of an emotional impact on me if it showed that. That's not to say it wasn't emotional at the end, I just felt the credits rolled too abruptly and definitely could have been more to that scene.

So I'll say this is one of the few instances where I don't feel ripped off for paying this much for only 2 hours of content. I'll definitely give it another play at some point. I'm glad to even be playing any additional SP content for this game in the first place, because if I recall correctly they initially didn't even have SP DLC planned.

#47 Edited by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

I beat it last night. My experiences with SP DLC is extremely limited, I guess the games I truly enjoyed either never had DLC or with games like Skyrim I never beat the main campaign to justify paying for extra content. With that said, if all DLC was this well made, I would have jumped on board a lot sooner.

It starts out really slow, I was worried that it wasn't going to match the quality of the main game but once the journey is over, the pacing makes sense and I wouldn't really change it. Playing as Ellie was another aspect I was sorta leery on because it obviously has to be true to the narrative and with that comes a lesser scope of skills so how would it affect gameplay? Well, it actually works wonderfully, creating a greater sense of danger and the players confidence going into a hostile situation is much lower than the original game. Ellie can still kick ass though, notably when your arsenal begins to bulk up and more tools are at your disposal. The bow is especially fun to use and I feel its more effective than the first games, quicker arc, more powerful etc. Its also extremely satisfying and fun to land a headshot on enemies far away.

I also loved the mixing of enemy types and it didn't really occur to me that this was absent in the original. I feel like you can manipulate the outcome of the battles but can't be too sure because I always helped out the stalkers, throwing bricks at humans as the enemy approached them. On a replay I might help the other team to see if the humans can come out on top. Regardless its a very nice addition to the formula.

The story is masterfully done as expected but going in I have to say I didn't expect much out the Riley/Ellie dynamic. It exceeded my expectations and the ending hit me as hard if not harder than the original. The writing team (or is it just Druckman?) has really made a name for themselves with this series. I woke up thinking about the story and still am.

Now I want to replay TLoU and all the other games in my backlog look so unappealing. I can't wait to see what they do with next gen when the game looks like this on PS3. The characters models are so believable, the eyes, teeth, things that are really hard to pull off, are spot on. Speaking of where they take the series, how can you not want more after Left Behind. On the other hand, if they create a new IP that is as engaging as Last of Us, that seems incredibly intriguing as well.

#48 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Did you just give the DLC a 2.7?

#49 Edited by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

@dvader654:

The stalkers are more powerful. But they are also more difficult to shoot as they don't simply run straight at you every time. They might lurk around a corner or shift between pillars or sides of a doorway to sort of throw you off. They creep a bit more before lunging at you typically.

They aren't drastically different but if you play the full game again you should start to notice the differences.

#50 Edited by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

Did you just give the DLC a 2.7?

It was a crappy joke :P