The Last of Us Cinematic Playthrough

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DannyC_pt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1 DannyC_pt
Member since 2004 • 72 Posts

A youtuber called Grant Voegtle is currently presenting a Cinematic Playthrough of The Last of Us, an original Let’s Play series that's been carefully edited and restructured to deliver a true film-like experience. Fans of the game really shouldn’t miss it. Episode 1, 2 and 3 are already available. You can follow Voegtle’s Channel to keep track of upcoming episodes.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

LOL cinematic playthrough: Insert black bars to top and bottom.

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#3 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

it wouldn't be different than playing the game yourself

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#4 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I've seen the episodes. He's done a really good job with it so far. And it doesn't have black bars. All he did was remove the aim reticule, the HUD elements, and cut out the more "game-y" elements like certain encounters and looting.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@mastermetal777:

Sounds like he improved it. :)

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: yes because removing the game elements of a game somehow makes it better.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts
@mastermetal777 said:

I've seen the episodes. He's done a really good job with it so far. And it doesn't have black bars. All he did was remove the aim reticule, the HUD elements, and cut out the more "game-y" elements like certain encounters and looting.

Youtube quality sucks, so it may be hard to see. So I decided to point it out for you.

DannyC_pt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DannyC_pt

I haven't used these forums in a while but I didn't know things were this aggressive. Anyway, I think some of you are missing the point.

A few years ago some people started to make videogame photography. In the early days you had to make code changes and use other tools to do it. Now it has become so popular that games are starting to have their own tools to capture images in-game.

The thing about this "cinematic playthrough" is that this guy is trying to "make a movie" out of the game. It's certainly more than just black bars at the top and the bottom. And no one is saying that the game is better without the gameplay. This is just a different use of the game. And the question is: will this become so popular one day that games will bring their own editing tools so that you can not only play it but make movies from your playthroughs?

Final note: I've played TLOU and I've seen several playthroughs of it made by funny of charismatic youtubers. This guy is up to something different - by editing and removing certain things, and adding transitions and multiple points of view... there's a lot of work in there. All I can say is give it a try and judge for yourselves...

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

Removing the Game Elements from the narrative makes the Narrative better....... and Vice Versa......

Or do you think Citizen Kane would be much better if it forced its audiencd to loot through a bunch of empty drawers..... ?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lulu_Lulu

@DannyC_pt:

"And no one is saying that the game is better without the gameplay."

Well..... obviously not....... but is the "experience" better without the gameplay ?

Remember we interpret things as experiences so its possible for none gameplay Elements to give one the perception that the game is better.

Anyway...... I think what this dude is doing is awesome.....

Hope he doesn't get sued.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11  Edited By Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

I think people are interested in this games cinematic as it's going to be made into a movie. Some people who take pride in the games story want to introduce people who are either not skilled enough to complete it, or not interested in games in general, to the fairly decent character story and progression it offers.

Myself personally. Think the movie will suck. Will be 12 rated contain no onscreen violence, even the mainstream audience are bored of zombie movies, you can't even satire them anymore. It's bad timing.

I enjoyed The Last of Us as a game. I enjoyed overcoming the challenges and beating it. As a story, the only thing it offers that I have not seen before is how Ellie, the young girl, develops more into Coles old self despite him trying to shield her away from the bad guy he once was. No doubt the movie will miss that point also.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lulu_Lulu

@Evil_Saluki:

Perhaps we should just wait and see first.......

And while we're on the subject...... Theres a Dark Souls movie...... I know... awesome right ? :D

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: yeah no. A game with a story is still a game no matter how you spin it. And I enjoyed both aspects in The Last of Us because neither part took away from the other. It's a great narrative, and a great game all at once. This project that Grant is making is more to show non-gamers how awesome the game is without having to make them sit through continued deaths, looting, and crafting that us gamers are used to in the game.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the editing is crazy good.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

Thats pretty much what I said.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#16 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@DannyC_pt: what's the point? You can just play it...

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts

Sounds like a target for copyright infringement to me. If that series gets flagged I don't see how it would be reversed.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@DannyC_pt said:

A youtuber called Grant Voegtle is currently presenting a Cinematic Playthrough of The Last of Us, an original Let’s Play series that's been carefully edited and restructured to deliver a true film-like experience. Fans of the game really shouldn’t miss it. Episode 1, 2 and 3 are already available. You can follow Voegtle’s Channel to keep track of upcoming episodes.

Riiiight some guy.

But advertising your youtube shit here is not allowed , there is a thread for that kind of post.

DannyC_pt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DannyC_pt

@Jacanuk Are you for real? I don't use these forums often but I've been a Gamespot user for over a decade. It's not like I've just made an account to promote some Youtube channel - to which I have no relation, btw.