The Hardest Games in recent (last 5) years.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bandit_Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Bandit_Haze
Member since 2005 • 4950 Posts

So I'm playing through Guacamelee. I get to the final boss, and he takes somewhere around 50 tries and 100 swear words to beat. That was in normal. I'm now playing through on hard, and I'm pretty convinced this is could be the hardest game I've played recently.

That being said I haven't played every game ever, so what's the hardest game of recent years that you've played?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@Bandit_Haze said:

So I'm playing through Guacamelee. I get to the final boss, and he takes somewhere around 50 tries and 100 swear words to beat. That was in normal. I'm now playing through on hard, and I'm pretty convinced this is could be the hardest game I've played recently.

That being said I haven't played every game ever, so what's the hardest game of recent years that you've played?

I haven't really encountered too many hard games in the last 5 years. Now if you'd like to travel back further, there are plenty.

I would say the souls games, but I feel once you've mastered the mechanics, they aren't 'hard' anymore. Just punishing if you mess up.

Bandit_Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bandit_Haze

I forgot about Demons Souls, that's just in that 5 year window. And yeah that is pretty damn punishing, :P

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Dark Souls

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

I guess Darksouls is the hardest game I've played in past 5yrs. I usually don't like games with bosses especially massive bosses, so it's surprising that I took to Darksouls which is plagued with bosses, and I am proud to say that I completed it. I guess ninja gaiden2 is quite hard also. Especially trying to master your favourite weapons.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 stizzal13
Member since 2013 • 609 Posts

Donkey Kong Returns 3D on the 3DS has given me some trouble. I found that some of the later cart/rocket levels have some challenging moments. After completing the game (every level, but not 100% completion), I found that game to be fairly hard.

Also, Skyrim on its hardest difficulty (mastery, I believe) can be absolutely unforgiving.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts
  • Catherine
  • Bayonetta
  • Shadow of the Colossus (8 years old)
  • Antichamber

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls are always on here. They're extremely overrated; they're challenging at first, but you can get the gist of things halfway through and then just breeze.

Super Meat Boy always brings new challenge/frustration to each level. Once you complete the level it becomes a little easier, but it's not a sure fire thing of winning.

Spelunky seems to be a pretty tough game to get into; I'm just starting it, maybe it becomes more accessible the more you play, but I don't think it will become as accessible as the Souls games because of the random element to the game.

fatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 fatee
Member since 2004 • 371 Posts

@Minishdriveby: Wouldn't exactly call those games "a breeze".

Also, "extremely overrated" is entirely opinion based; which I'd dare say the majority (including myself) disagree with you.
The souls series is challenging. If it wasn't for you, then good on you - but not everyone shares your sentiment.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Far Cry 2, just going from one place to another is a struggle. I'm having trouble with Bayonetta right now, not sure how to go about it haha.

cejay0813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11  Edited By cejay0813
Member since 2004 • 1939 Posts

Ninja Gaiden 2 but I don't know if that's more than 5 years old or not.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

ninja gaiden(xbox) ninja gaiden 2 (xbox 360) sark sous demons souls

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13  Edited By Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

Dodonpachi Saidaioujou (xbox 360 - region free). released in arcades first in 2012 then ported as a physical release for xbox 360 thanks to Microsoft in 2013.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

part of the reason being hibachi/inbachi.

I could list some other titles, but I think you guys would probably find my list boring lol

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

dark souls and demons souls

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Dark Souls and Demons souls are not that hard, once you get the pattern ts not that hard.

but hardest game, hmmm havent really played anything really hard in a long time.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@stizzal13 said:

Also, Skyrim on its hardest difficulty (mastery, I believe) can be absolutely unforgiving.

Higher difficulty in Skyrim = HP bloat

Not a good, interesting or fun way of increasing the difficulty. Just lazy.

I'll go with Knights of the Chalice.

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By stizzal13

@bussinrounds said:

@stizzal13 said:

Yeah, basically its a combination of HP bloat and stunting your damage output. It is an easy way to increase the difficulty, but also very effective.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@stizzal13 said:

@bussinrounds said:

@stizzal13 said:

Yeah, basically its a combination of HP bloat and stunting your damage output. It is an easy way to increase the difficulty, but also very effective.

Yea, very effective at boring the player, even more than they had been already.

SolaireBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolaireBro
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Antichamber and Ikaruga

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Minishdriveby

@fatee: Let's just say after Ornstein and Smough the game becomes a Hack and Slash Adventure although the DLC changes that notion.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#21 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@Minishdriveby said:

@fatee: Let's just say after Ornstein and Smough the game becomes a Hack and Slash Adventure although the DLC changes that notion.

Yeah, I'll admit that the toughest part is Ornstein and Smough. Granted, there were still challenging areas, such as Lost Izalith. To say the games are a breeze, though, is kind of wrong. Even on my third playthrough, there are things that can trip me up. Granted, it's MUCH less difficult since I know what to expect, but enemy formations and certain bosses can still be tricky.

For instance, the archers in Anor Londo. Those guys will never be easy to get by.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#22  Edited By Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

@solairebro said:

Ikaruga

released in 2001/2002

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Minishdriveby

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Minishdriveby said:

Yeah, I'll admit that the toughest part is Ornstein and Smough. Granted, there were still challenging areas, such as Lost Izalith. To say the games are a breeze, though, is kind of wrong. Even on my third playthrough, there are things that can trip me up. Granted, it's MUCH less difficult since I know what to expect, but enemy formations and certain bosses can still be tricky.

For instance, the archers in Anor Londo. Those guys will never be easy to get by.

? You can just run past everything in Lost Izalith and Anor Londo. I run past all the gargoyles and shield knights, and then two-hit-kill the silver knights in the castle to rack up souls. It's a good grinding spot because you can kill about 11 silver knights in about 45 seconds running through that castle.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#24  Edited By benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts
  • Demon's Souls
  • Catherine
  • Dark Souls

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

@Bandit_Haze: Some of the platforming in that game gave me hand cramps. I haven't done that kind of platforming since the NES days.

Anyway, past 5 years? Shit. I've beaten just about every game I get my hands on. I guess Demon Souls and Dark souls are up there. Legend of Grimrock is pretty rough too. I hear Catherine for the PS3 was but never played it. I also had a real hard time with X-COM: Enemy Within. Rogue Legacy was nuts until you gained enough levels. Braid is tough too. 5 Years is too long to think

tomahawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 tomahawk_
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Dark Souls hands down.

locus-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 locus-solus
Member since 2013 • 1557 Posts

@dethtrain said:

@Bandit_Haze: Some of the platforming in that game gave me hand cramps. I haven't done that kind of platforming since the NES days.

Anyway, past 5 years? Shit. I've beaten just about every game I get my hands on. I guess Demon Souls and Dark souls are up there. Legend of Grimrock is pretty rough too. I hear Catherine for the PS3 was but never played it. I also had a real hard time with X-COM: Enemy Within. Rogue Legacy was nuts until you gained enough levels. Braid is tough too. 5 Years is too long to think

Catherine was a PS3/360 cross platform game

stizzal13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By stizzal13

@bussinrounds said:

@stizzal13 said:

@bussinrounds said:

@stizzal13 said:

Yea, very effective at boring the player, even more than they had been already.

I can understand where you are coming from. For people who do not like the game to begin with, I couldn't imagine playing it on the mastery difficult level, especially for those who may not have patience or skill required. I know I ran out of patience playing Skyrim on mastery a couple of times, but as with all challenging games, it feels good once you conquer it.

GamerForca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

#29 GamerForca
Member since 2005 • 7203 Posts

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. They might not be "tough NES game" tough, but they take an amount of patience that few people nowadays possess. You don't just "cruise" on Demon's either, unless you're one of those tools that looked up how to cheat against Maneaters. And the final boss, Old King Allant, ain't no joke either. Dark Souls is much more difficult at the beginning, but I agree that this one tapers off about halfway through. But New Game + is brutal for both games.

Dota 2. You'd be hard-pressed to find another multiplayer game with the sheer complexity of Dota 2. It doesn't help that one mistake could get you flamed to oblivion by your teammates.

Donkey Kong Country Returns and Super Meat Boy - two really tough platformers, especially SMB.

Bandit_Haze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bandit_Haze

@Some-Mist: That was crazy, I don't play a whole lot of top down shmups, that's one of the reasons, they get pretty nuts pretty fast. Kudos to the people who take the time to master those games.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 plageus900

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Minishdriveby said:

They were tough, but not the toughest. I beat them on my first try (barely. No more estus and about 5 percent health left). I had a rougher time with the Four Kings.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@Bandit_Haze said:

Guacamelee isn't hard, especially not the final boss. Neither is Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. I can't even remember a game in the last five years I would consider especially difficult on the default difficulty setting.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Castlevania Order of Ecclesia

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 turtlethetaffer

@plageus900 said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Minishdriveby said:

They were tough, but not the toughest. I beat them on my first try (barely. No more estus and about 5 percent health left). I had a rougher time with the Four Kings.

You must be a God among men. They always give me trouble.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 turtlethetaffer

@Black_Knight_00: That's a good choice. That game is very challenging, especially near the end. Definitely one of the toughest Metroidvania games.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I love guacamelee. It's one of my favourite download games around. Having said that there are far more difficult challenges to be found in the following games

-Punch-Out!! (challenge mode 100% completion)

-Donkey Kong Country Returns (200% completeion is a much harder challenge and getting shiny gold medals on all stages in time trials is even harder still)

-New Super Mario Bros. U (completing the challenge mode. I'll never be able to do it :s)

-Super Mario 3D World (the last two levels in the game... I hope to beat them some day)

-Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (look at DKCR)

There are obviously even harder games than these hidden in the shadows as well, but these games are a lot more challenging than the vast majority of games these days

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Black_Knight_00: That's a good choice. That game is very challenging, especially near the end. Definitely one of the toughest Metroidvania games.

I'm torn about that game: on one hand it's probbaly the best among the Castelvania SotN clones and with one of the best female protagonists around, on the other it's incredibly cheap, especially during boss fights, and requires a monumental amount of grinding in order to unlock and purchase healing items.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 turtlethetaffer

@Black_Knight_00: Honestly I just looked at it as more demanding. Much like Dark Souls, if you get hit then you are bound to die in a few hits. It required a lot more perfection than the other games. I liked the challenge.

anab0lic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By anab0lic
Member since 2011 • 374 Posts

Single player:

Spelunky

Super meat boy

Dark souls

Multi:

Counterstrike: source

Dota 2

Starcraft 2

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By plageus900

@turtlethetaffer said:

@plageus900 said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Minishdriveby said:

You must be a God among men. They always give me trouble.

I think I was just lucky to beat them the first time.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Minishdriveby

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Minishdriveby said:

Those archers are extremely easy to get by. If you run up to the one on the right he'll draw his sword. Then run back down the terrace and run around the square pillar he'll chase you around the square pillar and then you run back up the terrace and hop down to the bond fire in the castle.