The Future of Video Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by funkymonkey4710 (1835 posts) -

If you look at how video games have changed dramatically over the last 30+ years we can see that they have evolved in gameplay, story, innovation, and a wealth of other fields. This begs the question though in the next 20+ years where do you see games going?

We have seen new outbreaks of different types of games such as the Skylanders series which integrates toys and gameplay seemlessly (something that has been tried in the past, but has failed) as well as the new development of the Occulus Rift which will bring Virtual reality to the home.

Where do you see games evolving in the next 20 years?

#2 Posted by drekula2 (1898 posts) -

Significantly. To the point where a lot of the common things in gaming now will be subject to ridicule: such an obsession for guns/shooters, uber-masculine or emotionless men, few lead female characters, games which are essentially combat-cutscene-combat-cutscene.

#3 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (9943 posts) -

Gamers will call everything new and innovative a gimmick and are not willing stop shooting guns at each other. The future of gaming is gona be just like it is now only exponentially worse.

#4 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -
@drekula2 said:

Significantly. To the point where a lot of the common things in gaming now will be subject to ridicule: such an obsession for guns/shooters, uber-masculine or emotionless men, few lead female characters, games which are essentially combat-cutscene-combat-cutscene.

While I'd like to to hope this will be the case, I find it very hard to believe. If anything these trends have become more popular in the last decade.

#5 Posted by Jacanuk (3946 posts) -

Gamers will call everything new and innovative a gimmick and are not willing stop shooting guns at each other. The future of gaming is gona be just like it is now only exponentially worse.

Hopefully not, i think we will see a end to wargames like COD and BF within a few years, it will never go away but it won't be the main focus like it is today.

#6 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9943 posts) -

@ Jacanuk

I have no faith no in human beings, and even less faith gamers. This industry will always feature violent games as favourites !

#7 Posted by funkymonkey4710 (1835 posts) -

Hmm I feel like I see the industry going more artsy in the next few years. I feel like this next generation will be the generation of the Indie developer until the big corporations can sink their teeth and money into the genre to turn it into a mass producing hit maker.

#8 Posted by Tqricardinho (340 posts) -

More gimmicks, better graphics, better 3-D.

#9 Posted by wiouds (5020 posts) -

You can not tell.

#10 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69814 posts) -

I actually think that 3D will be a bigger part in the near future than VR aka Oculus Rift. I think 3D is still young and has so much potential. But at the moment it is pretty useless. The graphics will become a lot better and the worlds that they are going to create will be magnificent

#11 Edited by Jacanuk (3946 posts) -

@ Jacanuk

I have no faith no in human beings, and even less faith gamers. This industry will always feature violent games as favourites !

Lulu the cynic :)

But violent games will probably not go away within the next few generations of gamers, but i have confidence that games like COD and BF hopefully will end its destruction of the gaming industry soon.

#12 Posted by Jacanuk (3946 posts) -

I actually think that 3D will be a bigger part in the near future than VR aka Oculus Rift. I think 3D is still young and has so much potential. But at the moment it is pretty useless. The graphics will become a lot better and the worlds that they are going to create will be magnificent

The Rift is nothing but a gimmick, there are simply to many factors in play for it to become anything more.

Its like with 3d tv´s its a nice gimmick and some people love it, but in the end its something that will only be here until the next new thing comes along.

#13 Posted by wiouds (5020 posts) -

How do you feel about Nintendo coming out with the 2ds?

#14 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (9943 posts) -

@ Jacanuk

To be replaced by something even worse. :0

I'm not a cynic, I preach relentlessly about awesome games that don't bring out the worst in people but people just don't wan't guns that make holes that allow you to jump through the time space continuim to slove puzzles.

#15 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1296 posts) -

Sadly I see a dark future for 'gaming', just take a look at how thins were this generation, everyone was like 'story this' or 'story that', not 'gameplay' this or 'gameplay' that, this gave developers a perfect opportunity to get good reception for lazy game design, just take a look at some of the most critically acclaimed 'games' this generation:

• Metal Gear Solid 4: 4 hours of actual gameplay and 16 hours of repetitive cutscenes which drag on coupled with (now closed) multiplayer where you had to pay for extras which makes Metal Gear Solid 4 the worst value for money game this generation.
  • Mass Effect 2: Crappy repetitive level design with stale combat and lackluster character customization options. Sure we got a 32 hour campaign, but there is no point when the game is that repetitive.
  • Heavy Rain: A game entirely up of mostly mundane activities, I know that Heavy Rain is meant to be something different but nothing can make brushing your teeth engaging.

In the not to distant future, we will be lucky to even have any gameplay at all, yet critics will still praise the 'games' just because of the story. I will go as far to say that games will be underrated just for having long campaigns and engaging gameplay, after all, games are already underrated for being fun.

#16 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9943 posts) -

@ RageQuitter69

Heavy Rain gets a free pass because its not really a game. And If you don't like brushing your teeth then don't do it, Remember, those specific mundane activities weren't mandatory?

Also theres nothing wrong with a story driven game so long as it doesn't get in the way of interactivity, examples are: MGS, Final Fantasy (might aswell add every single JRPG to the list) and The Last Of Us, and To The Moon.

#17 Edited by Jacanuk (3946 posts) -

@ RageQuitter69

Heavy Rain gets a free pass because its not really a game. And If you don't like brushing your teeth then don't do it, Remember, those specific mundane activities weren't mandatory?

Also theres nothing wrong with a story driven game so long as it doesn't get in the way of interactivity, examples are: MGS, Final Fantasy (might aswell add every single JRPG to the list) and The Last Of Us, and To The Moon.

I dont get that , Heavy Rain is a game and it has tons and tons of gameplay. it might not be COD where you get to shoot from start to finish but HR is still a game.

IF you want to see something thats not a game and abuse the concept, look at Gone Home or Dear Esther.

#18 Posted by Jacanuk (3946 posts) -

Sadly I see a dark future for 'gaming', just take a look at how thins were this generation, everyone was like 'story this' or 'story that', not 'gameplay' this or 'gameplay' that, this gave developers a perfect opportunity to get good reception for lazy game design, just take a look at some of the most critically acclaimed 'games' this generation:

• Metal Gear Solid 4: 4 hours of actual gameplay and 16 hours of repetitive cutscenes which drag on coupled with (now closed) multiplayer where you had to pay for extras which makes Metal Gear Solid 4 the worst value for money game this generation.
  • Mass Effect 2: Crappy repetitive level design with stale combat and lackluster character customization options. Sure we got a 32 hour campaign, but there is no point when the game is that repetitive.
  • Heavy Rain: A game entirely up of mostly mundane activities, I know that Heavy Rain is meant to be something different but nothing can make brushing your teeth engaging.

In the not to distant future, we will be lucky to even have any gameplay at all, yet critics will still praise the 'games' just because of the story. I will go as far to say that games will be underrated just for having long campaigns and engaging gameplay, after all, games are already underrated for being fun.

And i disagree with everything said here. But dont worry you will still be able to get your shot of Call of Dogs, Battlebunny 200, Batman AO and Farcry: Black Flag but i see the more mature story based games as a benefit, its nice to have games that you actually get a story and get to be interactive and play with it.

Also there is actually story in gameplay and gameplay in story, so the two can live side by side in most games.

#19 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (9943 posts) -

@ Jacanuk

You can screw up, fail and start over in a game, in Heavy Rain if you screw up they keep pushing foward. It reminds me of that movie: The Departed, where they kill off the main chatacter with plenty of time to spare, it went on for like 15 minutes without him before the credits rolled, I've never seen anything quite like it before.

#20 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (9943 posts) -

Infact I think its better if people don't call it a game, who would want Heavy Rain competing in the same medium as Grand Theft Auto anyway ?

#21 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69814 posts) -

@wiouds said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

How do you feel about Nintendo coming out with the 2ds?

Smart move, perhaps a little late, but Nintendo know their handhelds. It's a console they know how to handle. The console market not so much. They have consistently had bad launches. To think they would have learned it by now. They should have planned way better. Nintendo is one of the best game developers there are when they get it right. They just don't know how to handle the Wii U at the moment

#22 Edited by wiouds (5020 posts) -

Infact I think its better if people don't call it a game, who would want Heavy Rain competing in the same medium as Grand Theft Auto anyway ?

I agree. There are some that get mad when I said that being interactive is not enough to call something a game.

Also some people have a too wide of an ideal of what a game is. At the basic I believe a game need game play and I do not consider moral and dialog pick and QTE as game play.

#23 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (9943 posts) -

@ wiouds

I firmly agree, emphasis on the "firmly". ;)

#24 Edited by platinumking320 (663 posts) -

The future of gaming is only hampered on the mainstream side by 'creativity' , and only by money on the independent side.

Personally, I'd like games with shooting to integrate more principles from other competitive games like fighters, or do a complete 180 on some the standards in their genre.

Maybe a single-player example could be one where you deal with a limited amount of very agile and fast, re-occuring enemies over the entire game map that either completely mirror or surpass your tactics, upgrade and movement capabilities ,

I.E. death-match format everywhere, instead of just the shooting gallery, where you mow down thousands of relatively stationery foes.

( unless those thousands are horridly spawned monster offspring. I miss those days. More redeemable than just being the slayer of mankind)

#25 Posted by platinumking320 (663 posts) -

@drekula2 said:

Maybe that's the biggest loss when it comes how conflict is perceived in modern america popular action. It's more an advertisement of jingoism, a playable commercial of western power, rather than 'a struggle against intelligent adversity'. The former is too simple, it may have cool toys but is forgettable. The latter experience makes you feel accomplished for having survived 'hell on video game earth'. I'm thinking there are still a lot of dudes that get a kick out of aesthetics of fake violence, but are open-minded, and get kinda annoyed by waaay too much ' rambo and Murica-fuck yeah' excess and undertones.

As for fixing combat cutscene, combat cutscene. Someone needs to invent a game with a full controller pad scheme, solely for interaction with in-game set-pieces that'll allow a player to say or act out however they want in the middle of any in-game scene.

and they can change the camera view to see how your character reacts whether it's dialogue, or death-defying stunt, they couldn't program with the regular combat actions. That way devs aren't forced to make a silent protagonist, and you can control or expose a well defined character without having to watch them.

The only obstacle to that idea would be writing all the rules and code for it.