The Final Bosman - How to wow us again...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -

You might remember this guy, Kyle Bosman, from his great do's and don't's for the PS4 unveiling to the PS4 unveling, and his reaction to it.  Gametrailers has given him a show, and he's put out a new video on how to wow us with next gen systems.  I agree with a lot of what he said.  I think he skirts around the big issue I've got with the current gen, and what I hope to see fixed with next gen.  I think we need fewer scripted games and scripted events within games.  There is a place for big setpiece events in some games, but they stop being surprising once you've experienced enough of them.  I want big unscripted games that where you can surprise yourself as much as the game surprises you.  I think the sandbox genre manages to pull that off somewhat consistently, as do a lot of RPGs.

#2 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
Quick Time Events and Cutscenes both need to die.
#3 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -

Quick Time Events and Cutscenes both need to die.GodModeEnabled
Definitely QTEs and probably cutscenes. I want less movie and more play in my games. RE4 did some great things, but man, I f*cking hate QTEs, and I think RE4 really made them more popular than they needed to be.  The QTE exists as a copout for developers when their control scheme isn't competent enough to accommodate something they want to do.  Honestly, who likes mashing on buttons?  I hated the torture scene in Metal Gear Solid, and I've pretty much hated every QTE since.

#4 Posted by c_rakestraw (14796 posts) -

Guy's good. I need to catch up on that last video of his.

Seriously. Quick-time events especially. They're easily one of the laziest design choices a developer can make. I can understand the motivation behind making games more cinematic, but if they have to use QTEs to make it happen, they've failed. There has to be ways to keep that cinematic feel in place without compromising player agency.

#5 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I love this guy. Crake watch his PS4 meetings Dos and Dont and his review of the meeting. Hilarious stuff. He's a comedian and a writer which explains why he seems so geniunely funny unlike these other cynical and jaded gaming personalities. Glad to see he got his own show. We need more talented people like him.

And yes, agreed on every point he made. Aside from the KIllzone intro, nothign really wowed me at the conference. Deep Down looks stunning but I need more than just pretty graphics. They HAVE to wow us. They cant just give us another Uncharted and another GTA. Do something different. Great examples with Dead Rising and Red Faction. We haven't seen something like that since. 

#6 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Quick Time Events and Cutscenes both need to die.rragnaar

Definitely QTEs and probably cutscenes. I want less movie and more play in my games. RE4 did some great things, but man, I f*cking hate QTEs, and I think RE4 really made them more popular than they needed to be.  The QTE exists as a copout for developers when their control scheme isn't competent enough to accommodate something they want to do.  Honestly, who likes mashing on buttons?  I hated the torture scene in Metal Gear Solid, and I've pretty much hated every QTE since.

I think Sony just needs to get two of the best game designers from every studio they have, lock them all in one room for 1 month and make them come up with a new control scheme that lets us interact with games in a more organic manner. So tired of QTEs. I feel thats why most games struggle to really connect with the player because the best they can do is to let us shoot everything in the game. 

#7 Posted by c_rakestraw (14796 posts) -

I love this guy. Crake watch his PS4 meetings Dos and Dont and his review of the meeting. Hilarious stuff. He's a comedian and a writer which explains why he seems so geniunely funny unlike these other cynical and jaded gaming personalities. Glad to see he got his own show. We need more talented people like him.S0lidSnake

Oh, I plan to.

Wish there an RSS feed just for his show. Would make it so much easier to keep up.

#8 Posted by JustPlainLucas (75132 posts) -
Watched both of those shows and enjoyed them. Is it just me or does the guy look somewhat like Topher Gracer?
#9 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -

Turns out I didn't link to his review of the PS4 reveal, but his pre-conference show. I'll try and find the PS4 reveal review. In any case, the guy is entertaining.

edit: Found it and linked it in the first post.

#10 Posted by lazyathew (3748 posts) -

Quick Time Events are definitly too overused, but I do feel they have their places at times. Heavy Rain was fantastic, and it was mostly all QTEs.

Cutscenes? Highly dissagree there. I love cinamatics in my games. Not every game needs them, but I like taking breaks to watch a good cinamatic to move the story forward.

#11 Posted by Namgis (3592 posts) -

Enjoyed the vids. Very engaging, well spoken, relatable and witty 'personality'. We really do need more people like him to act as a conduit for change. He now has a voice with a lot of ears, companies should be amongst those.

He really did hit the nail on the hit on the Do's and Don'ts for the presser. We saw a couple nice looking games. The sense of scale was impressive, but how many were jaw on the floor startled at what they saw? I would love to see dead bodies linger. I always found it odd that did not, but understood the reasons why it had to be done. With all this new kit the devs are playing with, should we not expect them to come up with more creative games and experiences? Wasn't that their excuse for not innovating any longer? Not enough horsies under the hood.

Next gen games, not just next gen hardware.

#12 Posted by sukraj (24174 posts) -

yes get rid of them.

#13 Posted by Metamania (12026 posts) -

Quicktime Events definitely need to die. They don't belong in the gameplay. Cutscenes, I don't mind as much, but it should only be used at the right times. It's really all about the gameplay!

#14 Posted by Gallowhand (480 posts) -

Totally agree.

And I agree with everything Bosman said.  We need new experiences with more interactive game worlds, not just the same old 'tried and tested' with a new coat of paint.

#15 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Quick Time Events and Cutscenes both need to die.lazyathew

Quick Time Events are definitly too overused, but I do feel they have their places at times. Heavy Rain was fantastic, and it was mostly all QTEs.

Cutscenes? Highly dissagree there. I love cinamatics in my games. Not every game needs them, but I like taking breaks to watch a good cinamatic to move the story forward.

I think for a unique experience like an interactive movie like Heavy Rain was they can be tolerable, I think "interactive movie" can be a genre on to itself and they sort of need the QTE, but in 90% of other games they can axe them and put in the work to make it playable. Cutscenes can be told in better ways rather than pausing the game and watching a dumb video. I love the way Bioshock for instance handles story exposition. You still move around and interact with the world, still play the game while people talk to you. Backstory is found through audiologs that you listen to at your pace. I think every game should find clever ways to integrate the story rather than force us to watch scenes here and there. Overall I think both of these facets of gaming are lazy and are a sign of the times gaming lives in, the big setpiece, shoot everything, shallow experience times.
#16 Posted by ReddestSkies (4087 posts) -

Cutscenes are not useful anymore. They used to be necessary to tell a story due to hardware limitations, but not anymore. There are much better ways to tell a story in almost every genre in which stories matter.

#17 Posted by Archangel3371 (16448 posts) -
I don't mind QTE's myself as they can allow for very dramatic and cinematic moments in a game. I love cutscenes although more so the ones that are pre-rendered as you can get some absolutely stunning visuals and cinematic moments that simply telling the story through gameplay couldn't achieve.
#18 Posted by rragnaar (27023 posts) -
I want stuff to be big, dynamic, interactive and destructible. Bad Company 2 had huge open maps and you could blow holes in nearly anything, and while Battlefield 3 looked prettier, it had none of that. I hope developers realize that beautiful graphics aren't impressive if everything is static and unchangeable.
#19 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34367 posts) -

I don't mind cutscenes as long as they are not overused or too long. that being said I would like to see more games try to blend the story with gameplay and use the least amount of cutscenes possible.

QTE's I do find to be a pretty bad mechanic. They don't really add anything to the experience and if anything are a nuisance.

#20 Posted by lazyathew (3748 posts) -

[QUOTE="lazyathew"]

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]Quick Time Events and Cutscenes both need to die.GodModeEnabled

I think for a unique experience like an interactive movie like Heavy Rain was they can be tolerable, I think "interactive movie" can be a genre on to itself and they sort of need the QTE, but in 90% of other games they can axe them and put in the work to make it playable. Cutscenes can be told in better ways rather than pausing the game and watching a dumb video. I love the way Bioshock for instance handles story exposition. You still move around and interact with the world, still play the game while people talk to you. Backstory is found through audiologs that you listen to at your pace. I think every game should find clever ways to integrate the story rather than force us to watch scenes here and there. Overall I think both of these facets of gaming are lazy and are a sign of the times gaming lives in, the big setpiece, shoot everything, shallow experience times.

It depends on the game I think. Yes it is interesting how bioshock does it as you explained, but for some stories that won't work as well. Though I can certainly understand wanting more games to do what you described, or find other ways, but I think more people need to understand that video games can be more then "games" and even "interactive movies". There is nothing wrong with simply merging games and movies as well. Even if you don't want to play those games. And personally, that's my favorite kind of experience. If Cutscenes die, then video games as a whole will not be nearly as enjoyable for me. Sure, some of my favorite games, like Metroid prime, don't have them (Well not much anyway). But others, like many RPGs, do.

There are many, many different things that video games can do. And cutscenes, while they don't belong in every game, are certainly an important thing that should remain.

#21 Posted by BranKetra (50207 posts) -

>I think the sandbox genre manages to pull that off somewhat consistently, as do a lot of RPGs.

Even if you want sandbox games, all of them which I play contain scripted events like Batman Arkham Asylum.