The Evil Within review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IJONOI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 IJONOI
Member since 2012 • 246 Posts

Hey guys / GS does anybody know when the review will be out for this?? Really undecided and can't wait to see people opinions.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#2 WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

Hey if Kevin does the review dont bother reading. Look at Bayoneta 2, someone else does the review, amazing read, well constructed with pros and cons and a healthy score in the end.

IJONOI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IJONOI

That's nice. But I actually like Kevin's reviews.

Anyway it just makes me skeptical when publishers don't allow their games to be reviewed early. Like they are hiding something.

Also Bayonetta 2 getting a 10 / 10 is beyond a 'healthy score'. I haven't played it so I can't say for sure but I doubt it.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I hope it gets a good score.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Videogamer.com gave it an 8/10! Apparently they bought their own copy so the embargo didn't apply to them.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@MarcRecon

Where did they buy it ?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44142 Posts

I'm really looking forward to seeing the reviews for this game as well. I'll pick it up after I get Bayonetta 2 first though.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MarcRecon

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@MarcRecon

Where did they buy it ?

The article didn't say.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Review embargos are the worst. It just makes me think the publisher is hiding something. Even though that's not always the case- it always concerns me. If you are proud of your product, dont you want to show it off early so everyone will get jacked up for it?

Oozyrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Oozyrat
Member since 2008 • 926 Posts

It's getting a ton of "bad reviews." I say this because the ones that are giving it bad scores are terribly written reviews. Also Metacritic has trolls reposting bad scores as well. Anyways, a lot of people that got it last night are saying 8-9/10! About to get it now

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

It isn't getting great player reviews on Steam, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

The only well written negative review that I saw mentioned short chapters (that make the game less scary, since you never run away from things for long) and really dumb AI.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

IGN gave it an 8.7. I'm so stoked to play this when I get home from work today.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#14  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I'm excited about Evil within and so far it's gotten solid reviews from what I've seen. I've been craving a hyper bloody, gruesome horror game and Evil within looks amazing in that regard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Well I can not speak for reviews, but I can speak from experience, that the game puts an outright horrible foor farwards, and gives a bad first impression, but after the ambulance scene it gets quite good ^^ It is not anything aweinspirering, but rather what you would get if you took dead Space, and call of cthulhu, put them in a shaker, and shook well.

I would say that it reminds me of re 4, but for some reason it does not. It does not feel like it, it is not clunky as such, and it tryies to spread out pacing so it is not combat 24/7. However it is VERY much like dead Space in the game informs you "there are too many of "those Things" here, better be stealthy" (proceeds to clear out everything within village level, and burning the corpses). Yup too many of what? not enough ammo where?

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MarcRecon

As I've said before in other threads concerning TEW, the reviews are not what I'm basing my decision on! The gameplay videos really do give me a 90% feel of what to expect from a game. It looks like a pretty decent tittle to kill some time with but it's not a day1 purchase for me though.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

oh the most reviews rate TEW with 8 so expect gamespot to give it a 6

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#18 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

Reviews have been good for this game so far. Hell, even Game Informer gave it a 9

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#19 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I'm guessing the game will get a six, but on average, it's fairing pretty well, at 76 on Metacritic right now. I'm going to end up getting it anyway.

Avatar image for empiresdownfall
EmpiresDownfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 EmpiresDownfall
Member since 2013 • 63 Posts

I'd give it a solid 8.5 out of 10. Its a great game. The gameplay is tense and nerve-wracking, the atomsphere is incredible, and the combat isnt too bad either.

The only bad things are that I feel that the camera is too close to the player character, and the whole game is in widescreen and the black bars on top and bottom are incredibly annoying.

Overall though, fantastic time so far. I had a Hell of a time deciding between this and Alien earlier (Spent over an hour thinking), but Im glad I picked this up. I'll just get Alien on payday, and another good thing is that Evil Within already scared the Hell out of my fiance, lmao

AK47Ra1der

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AK47Ra1der
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@empiresdownfall: I haven't played it long enough to give it a rating yet. I do agree with your opinion on the camera being too close, it does get pretty annoying from time to time.

I was going to wait for reviews before I got the game but decided to just pull the trigger today and I am happy about that decision. I played for several hours and so far so good.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Im buying this along with with alien isolation. Great games for the Halloween month.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#23 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Just finished the second chapter, and so far, I'm not that thrilled with it. If it's a slow burn, then it hope it burns really well later on. The only real jump I got was when I turned a corner and blew myself up in a trap. Also, the game's ugly on the PS4. Should have looked much better.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@Planeforger said:

It isn't getting great player reviews on Steam, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

The only well written negative review that I saw mentioned short chapters (that make the game less scary, since you never run away from things for long) and really dumb AI.

chapter 5 felt like it took me an hour. Six, maybe 40 minutes. So far my game clock is at 5 hours total through six chapters. There are at least 14, judging by trophies. Not sure how long people want chapters to be, but my guess is that "reviewer" played the first couple chapters of the game, which are fairly short, and concluded the rest of the game was the same way.

I guess you can hide if you get overwhelmed, but this is more RE with stealth as a tactical option so I don't find myself running away from things at all much less hiding. There's a trophy for 400 kills if that's any indication. Many chapters have boss fights or events that involve killing droves of these...i dunno what you want to call them....they're a bit zombie and a bit cenobite. It's action/horror and nothing like that outlast shit. There are some enemies that you can't fight straight on and have to play a little cat and mouse with to lure them to their death, but ultimately you're not gonna spend a lot of time in a locker or under a bed in this one, unless the game takes a drastic turn from chapter 7 on.

And I just want to say this right now, but no one will understand it until they finish chapter 6: Eff yo' glasses, Joseph.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

@Ish_basic

Imagine one of the chapters hits you with suprize Co-Op ! :)

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sukraj

@marcheegsr said:

Im buying his along with with alien isolation. Great games for the Halloween month.

yeah get the evil within its so amazing I'm at the beginning of the game and it's soaked in atmosphere.

IJONOI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 IJONOI

I'm guessing they just arent going to review

Maybe its a middle finger to the devs for the embargo.

Or maybe its one of those great mysteries of GameSpot. Like what ever happened to the series of the decade that The Elder Scrolls won.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@IJONOI said:

Hey guys / GS does anybody know when the review will be out for this?? Really undecided and can't wait to see people opinions.

just go and watch ign review, gamespot is a joke when it comes to reviews. So far i liked the game a lot, have a bit of patience, chapter 2 is sloooow.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@IJONOI said:

I'm guessing they just arent going to review

Maybe its a middle finger to the devs for the embargo.

Of course they're going to review this game. They got their review copy late and who knows, maybe Shaun is having a hard time getting through the game.

drinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 drinner
Member since 2003 • 75 Posts

Yes, I am eager to know what Gamespot in particular thinks of this game! I have returned here every day the past week, checking and hoping that someone will do a review! I also (before noticing this post) started my own post about the same thing that you did! Hopefully they'll say something soon! I wanted to get this game by Halloween, but it seems to be getting some mixed reviews....
...who am I kidding, I'll more than likely get it. *sigh*

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ish_basic

been impressed how this game continually dreams up new and interesting scenarios to throw at you. I'm a person that thinks boss fights are usually uninspired garbage that devs include in their games because of some dated notions about game design (can't have an area without boss fight! derp), but these "boss events" in Evil Within have been brilliant. The level design in general is very satisfying. I find myself stopping and thinking how neat that last area I did was, not just for the visual stylings but also for the particular challenge that it presented.

however, Seb, your main character, is too damn slow. Run like someone is chasing you...because there is, asshole. Changing weapons, everything is just.so.slow. Also, a bit too much trial and error. I like problem solving in games, but when your problems are at times defined by game logic and I have to figure that one thing that the dev had it in their mind would be the right way to do something, that's just not fun and ruins the pacing....particularly when there's a one hit kill on the other end of it. For example...big boss fight in a garage. About halfway through it the boss starts pulsing purple light...at this point, if you go near it, it will one hit kill you. No way of knowing that without someone telling you or learning it the hard way and having to start the fight over. that kinda shit I can do without.

Overall, though, it's a fun game, worth playing.

Harbinger_CR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32  Edited By Harbinger_CR
Member since 2013 • 146 Posts

@IJONOI: Yeah, I hate them for that, they never even featured it or anything, I wonder what's taking them so long with the review.

EmpiresDownfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 EmpiresDownfall

@Ish_basic: The Keeper and The Sister (Havent found out her name yet) are some of the BEST bosses of the last few years. Sister scared the Hell out of me, and whenever The Keeper would spawn, I'd be running around the map frantic to find him before he got the drop on me, lmao.

Loved it! Just beat Chapter 7 before I went to work last night.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Ish_basic

Perhaps Shinji Mikami consulted Mr. Miyazaki when he was designing The Evil Within...

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Debating on this or Isolation for my next game but don't no what to get.

Harbinger_CR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 Harbinger_CR
Member since 2013 • 146 Posts

@skipper847 said:

Debating on this or Isolation for my next game but don't no what to get.

I would say this game looks more interesting.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#37 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

If you are wondering on whether or not you should buy it, I assume you are a fan of horror games. So you are okay with being scared, and that's good, the game is pretty scary. However, it comes down to this:

Are you okay with some cheap, unavoidable deaths with poorly placed checkpoints?

A) Answered yes - great, go pick it up

B) Answered no - your controller will probably end up embedded in your TV screen

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19567 Posts

I played a few hours of it at a friend's house today. It really wasn't what I was expecting.

It looks like a later Resident Evil game - especially with the character designs, the controls, the creepy village setting in one of the early chapters, the chainsaw enemy, etc...

...But it plays like...a really really slow version of the recent Tomb Raider reboot? The parts I played seemed to focus more on survival action rather than horror - or at least in the early chapters, I felt more like the hunter rather than the hunted. Even with the chainsaw guy during the intro, I "stealth-killed" him a whole heap of times before giving up and sneaking past him instead. And then there seem to be traps all over the environment to lure enemies into, and an extensive weapon upgrade system, and so on.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but movement felt way too show to be a great action-shooter, and the stealth mechanics felt clunky and actually removed some of the tension the game was aiming for (again, at least in the earlier bits). So I'm a little unsure about this one, tbh.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

Is anybody else Bothered by Weapon Ugrades in Survival Horror games.... I thought the whole point was to survive but half way through you can beef up and dominate those Mother*#*#*#s ! Which I actually enjoy, but I find this to be a conflict of concepts.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

where is the review?! Aren't GameSpot gonna review this game?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-evil-within-review/1900-6415924/

The Good
Striking atmosphere
Tense combat encourages resourcefulness
Rewarding skill progression system
The Bad
Nonsensical story and forgettable characters
Autosave system has a mind of its own
A few bosses can be very frustrating
Good
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lulu_Lulu

@Gamerno6666

I'm very very very skepticle of the word "Rewarding". It implies theres no instrinsic motivation.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lulu_Lulu

@Gamerno6666

I'm very very very skepticle of the word "Rewarding". It implies theres no instrinsic motivation.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44142 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the-evil-within-review/1900-6415924/

The Good
Striking atmosphere
Tense combat encourages resourcefulness
Rewarding skill progression system
The Bad
Nonsensical story and forgettable characters
Autosave system has a mind of its own
A few bosses can be very frustrating
Good

Sounds pretty good. I'll probably pick this up sometime soon but there's a couple of other games I want to get first.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ish_basic

the review is a bit under detailed but it seems right on most points. It is cliched at times and it really tries hard to achieve psychological horror. Ultimately it ends up being a montage of independently cool ideas that the writer of the story is never quite able to unify into a cohesive experience. But like I said before, the scenarios are really enjoyable and varied and in many ways make up for the simplistic storytelling in terms of motivating you to finish.

One point that the reviewer mentions about invisible enemies. Why was that frustrating? You're meant to use the proximity traps and/or watch the pooling water for footsteps. That part was actually kinda neat...especially if you found ice bolts by then, so you could look for the footsteps in the water and just freeze the whole area, then smash the enemy to bits with a single blow.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 sukraj

7.0 is a pretty good score

EmpiresDownfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EmpiresDownfall

@Ish_basic: Man the invisible enemies... Scared the hell out of me, lmao. I didnt jump but the whole time they were there, I was saying "Oh crap" over and over again until they were finished, lol. Nothing like shooting them and thinking "There you are!" just to have them vanish not even a second later.

Im on my second playthrough now and Im really satisfied. I'd give it a solid 8.5. Just hope Alien lives up to my expectation tomorrow also. Im getting it tomorrow when I get my paycheck.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

gamespot hates old school games after bad review of fantastic alien isolation now give another bad review anyway i love both fantastic survivor horor games

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 sukraj

I'm undecided which game I should play tonight its a toss up between this game or Metro 2033 Redux.