The end of multi platform consols in 15 years

This topic is locked from further discussion.

homebrew197516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 homebrew197516
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts
Take a lookhttp://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7052420.stm
zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 zoradude
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
Read this a lil bit ago, not ever going to happen imo... Lots of reasons as to why but tired atm XD
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
I concur. It wont happen...i HOPE.
Ea just want it to happen so they'll cut costs etc.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I think it is something that needs to happen. No one is feircely loyal to their brand of DVD player, and for that matter, barring the current HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray thing, you don't need multiple DVD players to play every movie that gets released. As much as I like the unique things that Sony, MS, and Nintendo bring to the market, I think that they should all become software publishers and leave hardware manufacturing to companies like Samsung, or Toshiba, that can manufacture a machine for profit, and not need to make any money off of software sales.

I don't think it would be too hard to pull off. You would need a group of developers and software publishers to get together and agree on set standards for what a game console would need to have, and then turn it loose, so that any electronics company could make a console, similar to DVD players today.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Of course EA wants an open platform, but they're not going to get it anytime soon. I dunno, I think they should go ahead and launch their own, perhaps in conjunction with Namco Bandai or whatnot.
homebrew197516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 homebrew197516
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts
The BBC are doing a vote on the issue. Cast your vote here on the right side of the page http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/default.stm I am supprised at the results so far as I thought most console owners were loyal to theirown.
Shifty_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shifty_Pete
Member since 2004 • 2678 Posts

Competition is good. It keeps companies on their toes, trying to stay ahead of the other guy. With no competition, there's no drive to improve. Also, who will design this standard platform? Will it use standard or motion control? Will it emphasize graphics power or affordability? Who will control the game licensing (necessary to avoid abominations like Custer's Revenge)?

A standard platform is a nice ideaon paper, but a truly terrible idea in real life.

Ravenprose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ravenprose
Member since 2007 • 418 Posts

I think it is something that needs to happen. No one is feircely loyal to their brand of DVD player, and for that matter, barring the current HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray thing, you don't need multiple DVD players to play every movie that gets released. As much as I like the unique things that Sony, MS, and Nintendo bring to the market, I think that they should all become software publishers and leave hardware manufacturing to companies like Samsung, or Toshiba, that can manufacture a machine for profit, and not need to make any money off of software sales.

I don't think it would be too hard to pull off. You would need a group of developers and software publishers to get together and agree on set standards for what a game console would need to have, and then turn it loose, so that any electronics company could make a console, similar to DVD players today.

rragnaar

Quoted for truth.

Competition should be on software, not hardware.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rragnaar

Competition is good. It keeps companies on their toes, trying to stay ahead of the other guy. With no competition, there's no drive to improve. Also, who will design this standard platform? Will it use standard or motion control? Will it emphasize graphics power or affordability? Who will control the game licensing (necessary to avoid abominations like Custer's Revenge)?

A standard platform is a nice ideaon paper, but a truly terrible idea in real life.

Shifty_Pete

I'm not proposing that only one company emerges victorious to go on and make a console, I think we need a system where any electronics company out there can make a game console, but that it has to meet unified standards so that any game made can play on it, similar to how DVDs work.  That would be real competition.  If you had Samsung, Toshiba, LG, Panasonic, and whoever else out there manufacturing game consoles they would compete and bring the costs down, and since they would profit from the hardware sales, they would have no need to make money off of software.

Nintendo, Sony, and MS could keep publishing software and making money on it, without the hassle of trying to be hardware manufacturers.  Game developers would be able to reach the widest possible audience, and would be able to take more risks on innovative games.  I realize there is a certain magic to holding a Nintendo controller, or a Dual Shock, and Halo might feel different on a non Microsoft console, but movie fans have no loyalty to the box that plays their films.  It sickens me that I am so loyal to Sony because they make a peice of plastic that I like...
teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts
I don't know. It sounds very similar to pc gaming where people just concentrate on the software and it can be run on many different configurations depending on the pc. That would mean there might be many different manufacturers, each with a different warranty, quality, etc. for basically the same specs. Then we have accessories for this. We would have many different do it all controllers. I'm not sure I like the idea. What would the lifespan be? The same as a pc maybe? What if it is so? will I be able to upgrade? I don't get it :(
Foolio1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Foolio1
Member since 2003 • 7467 Posts
I don't see it happening because these developers will probably never agree on features and hardware for a unfied platform. Even if it was left up to electronics giants as someone mentioned, people would probably still fight over which one they think is better. MP3 players come to mind as an example.
BuddaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BuddaX
Member since 2004 • 2583 Posts
[QUOTE="Shifty_Pete"]

rragnaar

I'm not proposing that only one company emerges victorious to go on and make a console, I think we need a system where any electronics company out there can make a game console, but that it has to meet unified standards so that any game made can play on it, similar to how DVDs work. That would be real competition. If you had Samsung, Toshiba, LG, Panasonic, and whoever else out there manufacturing game consoles they would compete and bring the costs down, and since they would profit from the hardware sales, they would have no need to make money off of software.

Nintendo, Sony, and MS could keep publishing software and making money on it, without the hassle of trying to be hardware manufacturers. Game developers would be able to reach the widest possible audience, and would be able to take more risks on innovative games. I realize there is a certain magic to holding a Nintendo controller, or a Dual Shock, and Halo might feel different on a non Microsoft console, but movie fans have no loyalty to the box that plays their films. It sickens me that I am so loyal to Sony because they make a piece of plastic that I like...

I agree this would be beneficial to get Video Games truly mass market with a humongous saturation rate, but what of innovation? After all it was hardware competition that got us this far(Enhanced graphics, Analog sticks, the Wiimote, ect.).

The question is then, if a unified standard did come out, would it kill gaming(eventually)? Movies are different in the fact that they are content driven alone, there is no interactivity. But with games, players will grow tired of the same thing over a period of time. The DVD's have been around over 15 years. Could a unified game standard last that long?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rragnaar

]I agree this would be beneficial to get Video Games truly mass market with a humongous saturation rate, but what of innovation? After all it was hardware competition that got us this far(Enhanced graphics, Analog sticks, the Wiimote, ect.).

The question is then, if a unified standard did come out, would it kill gaming(eventually)? Movies are different in the fact that they are content driven alone, there is no interactivity. But with games, players will grow tired of the same thing over a period of time. The DVD's have been around over 15 years. Could a unified game standard last that long?

BuddaX

That is a fair point for sure... 
Personally, I think games need to innovate in ways other than how they are controlled, and I would imagine that you would still have new hardware iterations at the same intervals we have now.  You'd still have graphical improvements.  I would imagine, if such a console existed, you would have a few different controllers that shipped with it.  One Wii-ish controller, and one that has the same functionality as the Dual Shock and 360 controllers, as they are mostly interchangeable.
BuddaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BuddaX
Member since 2004 • 2583 Posts
[QUOTE="BuddaX"]
]I agree this would be beneficial to get Video Games truly mass market with a humongous saturation rate, but what of innovation? After all it was hardware competition that got us this far(Enhanced graphics, Analog sticks, the Wiimote, ect.).

rragnaar

That is a fair point for sure...
Personally, I think games need to innovate in ways other than how they are controlled, and I would imagine that you would still have new hardware iterations at the same intervals we have now. You'd still have graphical improvements. I would imagine, if such a console existed, you would have a few different controllers that shipped with it. One Wii-ish controller, and one that has the same functionality as the Dual Shock and 360 controllers, as they are mostly interchangeable.

Hardware upgrades would defeat the intention of creating a standard. The goal of the standard is to reach as many people as possible. With mulitple hardware upgrades, you change the idea of who can play what on which system. Companies like Nintendo, MS, and Sony may as well stick to the current business model if that were the case.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 rragnaar
Hardware upgrades would defeat the intention of creating a standard. The goal of the standard is to reach as many people as possible. With mulitple hardware upgrades, you change the idea of who can play what on which system. Companies like Nintendo, MS, and Sony may as well stick to the current business model if that were the case.BuddaX

I suppose it will be several years before we get hardware that is completely future perfect, but at some point games should reach a point where more powerful hardware isn't needed.  I'm not suggesting that this unified platform just get random upgrades at random times, but that when they establish the platform, they decide how long it should be viable, and build the hardware accordingly. Your argument implies that since DVD wasn't completely future proof, we never should have left VHS.
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

rragnaar

I agree. If this console war BS were to stop, and a unified industry released a "game player," it would be a good thing -- for the consumer at least.

Problem is, whoever wins the market usually wins big, and getting them to go along with it would be difficult. Imagine trying to get Sony to go along with something like this hot on the heels of the PS2 -- they'd have called the idea daft. Now though? They'd probably be a lot more receptive to it, and I KNOW their stockholders would be. Or imagine trying to get Nintendo right now to talk about something like this -- they're making $50 profit per system and they're selling a million a month. They'd crap all over the idea now, but they might have been receptive in the Cube era.

Just like most other things, I think it would be hardest to get the company who was having the least difficult time finding success on board. Then there's also the philosphical differences, like the Wii remote vs a standard controller, hi-def or low-def, what graphics card to use, how much horsepower and so on. Although these companies are usually at least civil towards each other, I have a feeling you'd get one hell of a catfight if you stuck the bigwigs from all three in the same boardroom (wouldn't it have been classic to see something like this with Yamauchi still around? God, I'd pay money to see that).

It's a great idea, and I think it would ultimately be good for the industry, but that said, I don't think it has a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening. Too much money and power up for grabs and too many inflated egos from the suits up there in the ivory towers calling the shots. And when you look at the counterpoint, it's easy to see why they wouldn't go along. I mean, if I knew that I had a 1 in 3 chance of completely owning the videogame market, I don't know that I would either. I mean, those are pretty damn good odds, and even when the consolation prize for third place is 20 million systems sold and billions of dollars in software revenue, it's still not a bad proposition.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rragnaar

I agree. If this console war BS were to stop, and a unified industry released a "game player," it would be a good thing -- for the consumer at least.

Problem is, whoever wins the market usually wins big, and getting them to go along with it would be difficult. Imagine trying to get Sony to go along with something like this hot on the heels of the PS2 -- they'd have called the idea daft. Now though? They'd probably be a lot more receptive to it, and I KNOW their stockholders would be. Or imagine trying to get Nintendo right now to talk about something like this -- they're making $50 profit per system and they're selling a million a month. They'd crap all over the idea now, but they might have been receptive in the Cube era.

Just like most other things, I think it would be hardest to get the company who was having the least difficult time finding success on board. Then there's also the philosphical differences, like the Wii remote vs a standard controller, hi-def or low-def, what graphics card to use, how much horsepower and so on. Although these companies are usually at least civil towards each other, I have a feeling you'd get one hell of a catfight if you stuck the bigwigs from all three in the same boardroom (wouldn't it have been classic to see something like this with Yamauchi still around? God, I'd pay money to see that).

It's a great idea, and I think it would ultimately be good for the industry, but that said, I don't think it has a snowball's chance in hell of ever happening. Too much money and power up for grabs and too many inflated egos from the suits up there in the ivory towers calling the shots. And when you look at the counterpoint, it's easy to see why they wouldn't go along. I mean, if I knew that I had a 1 in 3 chance of completely owning the videogame market, I don't know that I would either. I mean, those are pretty damn good odds, and even when the consolation prize for third place is 20 million systems sold and billions of dollars in software revenue, it's still not a bad proposition.

Shame-usBlackley

Well spoken as usual.  I'm sure Nintendo's monetary success with the Wii would keep them from being interested.  Which is a bummer, I was kinda hoping every console maker this gen would learn a lesson from how they are doing things.  MS will have much better hardware next time out, and Sony will be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and MS decide to mimic Nintendo's strategy next time around by putting out a machine that only marginally improves on the previous gen's hardware.  It would make sense for sure.  I like my PS3, but I'd be just as happy with a PS2.5.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I think that would be a terrible idea that would kill innovation. Major shifts were brought about because various hardware makers struck out on their own (Sony was the first believer in polygons and introduces larger storage formats whenever they introduce a system, MS built a modem into their system and demonstrated the utility of hard drives, etc.). Moves such as those might not have come about if everybody had to agree on a unified standard.

wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
Meh, if all games were just on PC, then that wouldn't be a problem. Yes, you'd have to know if your computer can run it. But I'm sure by the 20s that won't be too much of an issue.