The Elder Scrolls online looks awful...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 luno-gamer
Member since 2007 • 405 Posts

I just watched some gameplay footage. I understand it isn't quite finished yet, but it's almost there. And from the gameplay I've been watching, it looks absolutely terrible.. Awful combat, lame animations, same old boring leveling, questing, and talent trees.. I haven't even spotted any decent looking weapons or armor yet..

Not that I was expecting to get it anyway. After ToR, which I was SO SURE was going to be a little more interesting than most MMORPGs (I was terribly disappointed), I decided not to waste any more money on an MMORPG right when it came out. But seriously, I expected this to be a little better than what I'm seeing. At least they made ToR look halfway exciting. This crap just looks... Dreadful.

On a side note, seeing as how so many people are die hard WoW fans for whatever reason, Blizzard should make a hardcore graphics update for WoW to make it look just like the elder scrolls online does now, only keep all the same physics and menus and items and all that. That'd look pretty awesome on WoW :D

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

I don't agree.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I can' t say I' m impressed with what I' ve seen so far despite my hype for the game. The combat does look a little disappointing but then again I had very high expectations. The most important thing for me though is the ability to enjoy the huge world of the Elder Scrolls as an online experience which I believe(or hope) will live up to what the devs promise.

The monthly fee is a whole other story though...

luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 luno-gamer

I can' t say I' m impressed with what I' ve seen so far despite my hype for the game. The combat does look a little disappointing but then again I had very high expectations. The most important thing for me though is the ability to enjoy the huge world of the Elder Scrolls as an online experience which I believe(or hope) will live up to what the devs promise.

The monthly fee is a whole other story though...johnd13

The monthly fee is really all I'm basing my criticism on. If it weren't for having to pay monthly, you bet I'd be hitting it up, no matter what it cost to take it off the shelf.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

[QUOTE="johnd13"]

The monthly fee is a whole other story though...luno-gamer

The monthly fee is really all I'm basing my criticism on. If it weren't for having to pay monthly, you bet I'd be hitting it up, no matter what it cost to take it off the shelf.

I' m probably gonna end up paying the fee for a couple of months and then wait until the game becomes free to play.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#6 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Awful combat, lame animations, same old boring leveling

luno-gamer

Congratulations, you've just described The Elder Scrolls series in general.

TES always gets a pass for it's absolutely atrocious gameplay on account that exploring the world is so much fun. I don't really think it's fair to judge TES Online in that regard because we haven't seen any gameplay that focuses on just roaming the world. 

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

It looks like another typical boring MMORPG.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

I just watched some gameplay footage. I understand it isn't quite finished yet, but it's almost there. And from the gameplay I've been watching, it looks absolutely terrible.. Awful combat, lame animations, same old boring leveling, questing, and talent trees.. I haven't even spotted any decent looking weapons or armor yet..

Not that I was expecting to get it anyway. After ToR, which I was SO SURE was going to be a little more interesting than most MMORPGs (I was terribly disappointed), I decided not to waste any more money on an MMORPG right when it came out. But seriously, I expected this to be a little better than what I'm seeing. At least they made ToR look halfway exciting. This crap just looks... Dreadful.

On a side note, seeing as how so many people are die hard WoW fans for whatever reason, Blizzard should make a hardcore graphics update for WoW to make it look just like the elder scrolls online does now, only keep all the same physics and menus and items and all that. That'd look pretty awesome on WoW :D

luno-gamer
It may be from Bethesda, but not necessarily the same team behind Skyrim. FF14 Real Reborn is an MMORPG that came out today. The reviews have been largely positive.
TomGriffiths93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TomGriffiths93
Member since 2012 • 66 Posts

It looks meh. And the £15 a month charge does not help. Bethesda are asking Microsoft not to charge Gold players for this.

luno-gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 luno-gamer

It looks meh. And the £15 a month charge does not help. Bethesda are asking Microsoft not to charge Gold players for this.

TomGriffiths93
Good, I would certainly hope so. It's bad enough that so many MMORPGs aren't being played enough on PC because of monthly fees. If MS wanted gold subscribers to pay monthly for their xbl AND for a game, it would be out of the question.. Especially considering that I'm not the only one who agrees that this game does not look like it's going to be anywhere near spectacular at all. If it does succeed, it's going to be because there are so many elder scrolls fans that just so happen to choose this typical MMORPG over the others, and a monthly charge on the console versions would most definitely cut these numbers drastically.
idunnodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 idunnodude
Member since 2007 • 2287 Posts

i agree i wasn't impressed at all with TES online. and theres no way i would pay $15 a month for that. if you want an mmo i suggest looking into FF14 a realm reborn. that games looks gorgeous and ive been hearing lots of good things about it.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#12 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

[QUOTE="luno-gamer"]

Awful combat, lame animations, same old boring leveling

IndianaPwns39

Congratulations, you've just described The Elder Scrolls series in general.

TES always gets a pass for it's absolutely atrocious gameplay on account that exploring the world is so much fun. I don't really think it's fair to judge TES Online in that regard because we haven't seen any gameplay that focuses on just roaming the world. 

I agree with you about that. The Elder Scrolls combat and animations are not the strength of those games.

They really are great at developing worlds worth exploring, but I have no interest in paying a monthly fee to roam a world full of other players. That is not Elder Scrolls, it is something else.

Even if the game has some kind of 'single player' option, I don't think I'll bother with it. 

TomGriffiths93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TomGriffiths93
Member since 2012 • 66 Posts
[QUOTE="TomGriffiths93"]

luno-gamer
Good, I would certainly hope so. It's bad enough that so many MMORPGs aren't being played enough on PC because of monthly fees. If MS wanted gold subscribers to pay monthly for their xbl AND for a game, it would be out of the question.. Especially considering that I'm not the only one who agrees that this game does not look like it's going to be anywhere near spectacular at all. If it does succeed, it's going to be because there are so many elder scrolls fans that just so happen to choose this typical MMORPG over the others, and a monthly charge on the console versions would most definitely cut these numbers drastically.

£49.99 for the game. £180.00 for a years play (15 quid a month according to sources http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/the-elder-scrolls-online-will-require-a-1499-monthly-subscription-fee) That's never right.
simonblahblah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 simonblahblah
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

It's awesome.

I've pre-ordered. Can't wait. I think there's a hell of a lot of people who have either pre-ordered or plan to buy on release. That's based on talk from people I know, people I've spoken to, and rumors of large numbers of white horses in testing.

I heard there are bugs at the moment, but I'm not too bothered by that. I lived with bugs when WoW first went live. I can live with them in ESO for a bit.. unless they fix them all for release that is lol. Definitely not a game to miss out on :)

simonblahblah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 simonblahblah

Just realized you said it looks awful... hahah

I assume you're joking? Or do you have a black and white monitor with 2 pixels per inch on it?The graphics are beautiful.

Wallyh08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wallyh08
Member since 2008 • 535 Posts

I disagree

I think breaking into the console market was a smart move, especially given the amount of potential players who never gamed on the PC and for the most part, have never played an MMO. Unfortunately, the monthly sub is going to put some players off understandably.

I also think this was one wrong way to go about trying to lure console players. Creating a new IP, a new world with new lore may have taken some more years, but in my opinion would have stood a much stronger chance of being a hit, which i'm not expecting this to be. However for this to work, I think a different studio should have taken charge. We all know Beth isn't eye catching when it comes to the animation department!

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

I actually enjoyed it but to each their own.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

It does indeed.

It will go f2p within 6-12 months.

zaza__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zaza__
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

I think it sucks cause that's what all the cool kids say, even though I never played it.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Watched the Angry Joe Show ...it didn't live up to the hype u know ....it's just so boring!

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

MMO's aren't considered a waste of time/money for everyone.

I think they're garbage, but whatever. I'm going to pretend it doesn't even exist, it really has no place in the Elder Scrolls universe but money talks so I understand why they're making it.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@simonblahblah: I heard there are bugs at the moment, but I'm not too bothered by that. I lived with bugs when WoW first went live. I can live with them in ESO for a bit.. unless they fix them all for release that is lol. Definitely not a game to miss out on :)

they are mostly the typical scripting bugs you get when a quest has animated sequences/spawns that trigger on interaction with something in the game environment...and then you have 20-30 people clicking like mad on those nodes. They won't all be gone by launch...I mean, it took GW2 months to get theirs fixed, but people still managed to enjoy the game just fine. Just fairly typical stuff that you can't test without massive amounts of players (which is why they're cropping up in the stress tests).

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 bowchicka07

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_online/b/pc/archive/2014/02/07/elder-scrolls-online-preview-first-few-hours.aspx

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ish_basic

@bowchicka07 said:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_elder_scrolls_online/b/pc/archive/2014/02/07/elder-scrolls-online-preview-first-few-hours.aspx

Stros M'kai, for those that don't know, is the Daggerfall Covenant starter area right after the shared Coldharbour segment. You get out of this area at level 6 or so and enter the meat of the game maps. I just point this out because the Useless Joe video stops at a level 6 character, which means he never explored the Stonefalls area (which is Ebonheart Pact equivalent of the area this article is describing) for that video.... which means all of his impressions were based on the starter area.

In my own personal experience, judging an MMO or an ORPG of any type by a starter area is moronic. I remember how bored I was with pre-searing when I first started Guild Wars. And then I played the game for thousands of hours over five years. I don't know how ESO is going to turn out, but as a fan of the franchise, it'd be great to start seeing some real meat when it comes to impressions before the game actually come out (less than two months). The GI article is short, but a good start (because at least we're no longer talking about starter areas).

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bowchicka07

@Ish_basic said:

@bowchicka07 said:

Stros M'kai, for those that don't know, is the Daggerfall Covenant starter area right after the shared Coldharbour segment. You get out of this area at level 6 or so and enter the meat of the game maps. I just point this out because the Useless Joe video stops at a level 6 character, which means he never explored the Stonefalls area (which is Ebonheart Pact equivalent of the area this article is describing) for that video.... which means all of his impressions were based on the starter area.

In my own personal experience, judging an MMO or an ORPG of any type by a starter area is moronic. I remember how bored I was with pre-searing when I first started Guild Wars. And then I played the game for thousands of hours over five years. I don't know how ESO is going to turn out, but as a fan of the franchise, it'd be great to start seeing some real meat when it comes to impressions before the game actually come out (less than two months). The GI article is short, but a good start (because at least we're no longer talking about starter areas).

Thank you... The fact remains is the meat and potatoes come after the starter area. Most MMORPGS have pretty bland and boring starter areas so just give it a chance to materialize.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

It looks like another in the ocean of Tolkien inspired fantasy MMORPG's that started in the late 90's with Everquest.

At this point only a sci-fi or non-Tolkien influenced MMORPG could draw my attention. I heard the first Guild Wars showed promise for being non-Tolkien influenced but the GW2 went and put Tolkien shit into it.

Destiny also showed promise, until they debuted the races and there was a decidedly elvish looking race in there. Good Lord, Bungie.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19569 Posts

The feedback on the Steam forums is mostly negative. Apparently people are really disappointed with the game's soulless, empty world, which really kills the sense of exploration that the series is known for.

It's a bit strange how many of the people who are very negative about the game can produce detailed lists about why it sucks, but I don't think I've seen much concrete information from the people who actually like it.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ish_basic

@Planeforger: It's a bit strange how many of the people who are very negative about the game can produce detailed lists about why it sucks, but I don't think I've seen much concrete information from the people who actually like it.

Maybe it sucks. Maybe the people that genuinely like it are respecting the NDA, while the people that don't like it really don't have a reason to.

Also, would love to see these detailed lists, as I am hungering for some hands-on impressions. Most of the stuff I've seen amounts to typical "it's an MMO" complaints. Which is fine, but since I like MMOs, I tend to not share those grievances.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#29 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@luno-gamer said:

I disagree and i think some people really just love to bitch and moan and listen to their own voice.

Its a great looking game.

RadioGooGoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RadioGooGoo
Member since 2007 • 253 Posts

There is a single player Elder Scrolls available too. Quite a few of them in fact. Just avoid this as most of the I-dont-understand-the-attraction-of-MMOs crowd which I also fall into.

J3mBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 J3mBug

Regardless of what people say I'm still keen for it. But each to their own.