The day consoles and/or every game is always online I will stop gaming.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Dreamcast86 (296 posts) -
The day this happens I will stop gaming and move to something else. Atleast I don`t have to be always online to play card games. No way im paying $60 to rent a game like its Netflix or cable-TV service, with the game developers and Microsoft/Sony hanging over my sholder 24/7. How much will this affect you?
#2 Posted by alim298 (2747 posts) -

I bet you'll do

#3 Posted by Flubbbs (4620 posts) -

i dont think that will happen but it wouldnt keep me from gaming either way

#4 Posted by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

You can move to PC. Much better place for gaming.

#5 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
Good for you?
#6 Posted by JustPlainLucas (76819 posts) -
You won't have to, as there will always be a company smarter than that that you can gravitate to. However, I will say that if it ever happens, I hope you remain resolute, because no one likes a hypocrite.
#7 Posted by Euaggelistes (1826 posts) -

I agree now but if there was no other option I would probably fold. I love playing video games and would imagine I would learn to live with it. 

#8 Posted by Nero1884 (25 posts) -

The day this happens I will stop gaming and move to something else. Atleast I don`t have to be always online to play card games. No way im paying $60 to rent a game like its Netflix or cable-TV service, with the game developers and Microsoft/Sony hanging over my sholder 24/7. How much will this affect you?Dreamcast86

The day this happens you will have a good enough internet connection for it not to bother you. And if you possibly dont there will always be another company providing you with a better option. 

#9 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Well it's going to happen someday. Not any time soon but 10 years from now I could see every game requiring an internet connection to play. 

#10 Posted by MonoSilver (1392 posts) -
It probably will happen eventually, even on PC. I won't stop gaming when it does though as I'll have retro gaming to rely on.
#11 Posted by V3rciS (2228 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dreamcast86"]The day this happens I will stop gaming and move to something else. Atleast I don`t have to be always online to play card games. No way im paying $60 to rent a game like its Netflix or cable-TV service, with the game developers and Microsoft/Sony hanging over my sholder 24/7. How much will this affect you?Nero1884

The day this happens you will have a good enough internet connection for it not to bother you. And if you possibly dont there will always be another company providing you with a better option. 

it's not about internet connection... I do have a solid, stable, fast internet connection... still I don't like the idea of them dictating what and how should I do something. I mean it's like asking me to connect my Blu ray/dvd player to the internet just to watch movies... sure I can do that, but WHY?
I don't want motherfvcking M$ to monitor my every step.. they already installed kinect (do you know that it comes with an always on camera). You know that Kinect after monitoring your habits will decide what advertisment and products to promote to you... this is totally fvcked up and i do not like that.

edit: Oh I forgot to mention how sneaky this digital downloads are... as someone already said, you do not own the game but simply license it. You have no hard copy and if for some reason you abandon your console or your account that's it... the game is gone. You can't store it, you can't trade or sell it and you can't give it as gift to your friend. What the heck...
That's why I am buying only retail hard copies and will continue doing so

#12 Posted by Dreamcast86 (296 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nero1884"]

[QUOTE="Dreamcast86"]The day this happens I will stop gaming and move to something else. Atleast I don`t have to be always online to play card games. No way im paying $60 to rent a game like its Netflix or cable-TV service, with the game developers and Microsoft/Sony hanging over my sholder 24/7. How much will this affect you?V3rciS

it's not about internet connection... I do have a solid, stable, fast internet connection... still I don't like the idea of them dictating what and how should I do something. I mean it's like asking me to connect my Blu ray/dvd player to the internet just to watch movies... sure I can do that, but WHY?
I don't want motherfvcking M$ to monitor my every step.. they already installed kinect (do you know that it comes with an always on camera). You know that Kinect after monitoring your habits will decide what advertisment and products to promote to you... this is totally fvcked up and i do not like that.

The next Xbox will probably ship with a mandatory Kinect. If they do like the PS4, the Xbox will remain online, even when the console is turned off (low power mode). Feels like they are making some spy system, more than a gaming console. If the Kinect is mandatory, I need to disconnect my Xbox every time I leave it. Its pretty sick.
#13 Posted by wiouds (6096 posts) -

Cyberdot

But, for the fact you can no longer buy any game since DD is not buy the game but leasing it. Also you need to go online at times.

#14 Posted by Dreamcast86 (296 posts) -
Some day? If MS announce their next Xbox to be always online, its to be considered a renting service by the end of this year. Are you still willing to pay full price for a game you don`t own? The only thing you rent is a license to play it.
#15 Posted by Dreamcast86 (296 posts) -

Cyberdot
Well, if MS or Sony confirmes the next gen rumours to be true, then im moving to PC gaming. The only reason console games still are worth their value is the fact that you can do whatever you want with the games you buy, instead having to rely on activation codes and stuff like that. Atleast PC games are a lot cheaper.
#16 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Some day? If MS announce their next Xbox to be always online, its to be considered a renting service by the end of this year. Are you still willing to pay full price for a game you don`t own? The only thing you rent is a license to play it. Dreamcast86

That depends. What I'll probably end up doing is buying fewer games, but on occasion I'll probably still pay for at full price. 

#17 Posted by Dreamcast86 (296 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dreamcast86"]Some day? If MS announce their next Xbox to be always online, its to be considered a renting service by the end of this year. Are you still willing to pay full price for a game you don`t own? The only thing you rent is a license to play it. Vari3ty

That depends. What I'll probably end up doing is buying fewer games, but on occasion I'll probably still pay for at full price. 

But always online should be considered as a renting service, therefor I think its unfair having to pay for the console to begin with. When order cable-tv I get the box for free. I only have to pay my monthly subscription. If they want to turn gaming into this, it should be the same way.
#18 Posted by JustPlainLucas (76819 posts) -

Nero1884
I would have the world's greatest internet connection, but that doesn't mean some idiot public service worker won't make a mistake and cut my line, interrupting my service for days. The point is, no one should need or want an always connected service for products that work just fine offline.
#19 Posted by Dreamcast86 (296 posts) -
I have a good connection, but I do bring my console with me to work. I work night shifts at the dock, and we have lots of spare time, but no internet connection, so it will be impossible to bring my console with me if its has to be online. I also take it with me if I travel away for many weeks. That will be suck. Whats next? DVD players always online? How about my toaster, will that require online in order to toast my bread?
#20 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

I have a good connection, but I do bring my console with me to work. I work night shifts at the dock, and we have lots of spare time, but no internet connection, so it will be impossible to bring my console with me if its has to be online. I also take it with me if I travel away for many weeks. That will be suck. Whats next? DVD players always online? How about my toaster, will that require online in order to toast my bread?Dreamcast86

Hate to say it, but you're a fringe case. Companies aren't going to be too concerned about losing the people who don't bother to go online or don't always have access when the alternative is having a ton of info about the consumer habits of those who go online, and then they can market products to those same people.

#21 Posted by wiouds (6096 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

LordShockTitan

Nuff said

The reasons why I do not like always online game are some reasons why I avoids PC gaming.

#22 Posted by Dreamcast86 (296 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

wiouds

But, for the fact you can no longer buy any game since DD is not buy the game but leasing it. Also you need to go online at times.

Actully you can just download a crack and get rid of online at times.
#23 Posted by wiouds (6096 posts) -

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

Dreamcast86

I talk about what they legally can do.

#24 Posted by LordShockTitan (218 posts) -

Cyberdot

Nuff said

#25 Posted by Ragma117 (25 posts) -

I would have less of an issue if the US would upgrade its Internet Infrastructure. If I remember correctly the US ranks 16th in the world in internet coverage and speeds. 

#26 Posted by megam (457 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dreamcast86"][QUOTE="wiouds"]

wiouds

It's pathetic the DMCA makes it illegal to bypass security measures on a person's legitimate copy of a game. That law needs to be rewritten or thrown out. On a tangent regarding copy protection/DRM, I wish Valve would drop the requirement to use Steam to play games in your library. It's none of Valve's business how long I play a game, what I do in the game (e.g. achievements), or what hardware and OS I use to play my games. Hell, I wish all the client-based applications would do this.

I agree with the OP. It's really not a matter of how stable or fast my connection is. I just want to be able to enjoy my games without being monitored. And there's no way in hell a product that requires a constant online connection and possesses a built-in camera or microphone is coming into my house.

#27 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1414 posts) -

It would suck but I'd happily stop buying new games and stick to retro games.

#28 Posted by sukraj (26517 posts) -

It wont happen.

#29 Posted by Kemonojin (48 posts) -
I wouldn't like it, but I would learn to tolerate it.
#30 Posted by Blueresident87 (5597 posts) -

The day this happens I will stop gaming and move to something else. Atleast I don`t have to be always online to play card games. No way im paying $60 to rent a game like its Netflix or cable-TV service, with the game developers and Microsoft/Sony hanging over my sholder 24/7. How much will this affect you?Dreamcast86

Nobody cares if you stop gaming and move on to something else. Go ahead.

#31 Posted by Gallowhand (480 posts) -

It would suck but I'd happily stop buying new games and stick to retro games.

187umKILLAH

Same here.  I have a decent enough game collection to last me a while.

#32 Posted by wiouds (6096 posts) -

[QUOTE="wiouds"]

[QUOTE="Dreamcast86"] Actully you can just download a crack and get rid of online at times.megam

It's pathetic the DMCA makes it illegal to bypass security measures on a person's legitimate copy of a game. That law needs to be rewritten or thrown out. On a tangent regarding copy protection/DRM, I wish Valve would drop the requirement to use Steam to play games in your library. It's none of Valve's business how long I play a game, what I do in the game (e.g. achievements), or what hardware and OS I use to play my games. Hell, I wish all the client-based applications would do this.

I agree with the OP. It's really not a matter of how stable or fast my connection is. I just want to be able to enjoy my games without being monitored. And there's no way in hell a product that requires a constant online connection and possesses a built-in camera or microphone is coming into my house.

Then again the other extreme is also just as bad. With the internet allowing for perfect copies of programs to be made, the creator could get nothing from the time and effort put into creating said product.  It is also not right to allow companies to be screwed over and be forced to layoff workers. Businesses have a responsibility to make a profit.

The important is to break points of lost between forced and require points. A point of lost I many any point that you can lose your ability to play the game. A require point is any point that you must have to play the game. You need power to play the game. You need hardware. A forced point is something that someone else put into it. What is a forced point and a require point changes between the two. For example for a MMO a require point is the always online while for a single player game it is a force point.

That said always online adds a large number of forced points to the game experience that adds risk.

#33 Posted by Teuf_ (30805 posts) -

[QUOTE="Kemonojin"]I wouldn't like it, but I would learn to tolerate it.Dreamcast86
This is the problem with people these days. You would probably tolerate MS to rape you if it was required to use their console.

I think likening "playing an always-online game" to "rape" is just a bit over the top. Don't you agree?

#34 Posted by jsmoke03 (13696 posts) -

ill quit when

• games cost $100
  • motion gaming is the standard
  • holograms for gaming
  • controllerless gaming
  • implants

when all or one of these become standard, i will stick to retro gaming

#35 Posted by Dreamcast86 (296 posts) -
I wouldn't like it, but I would learn to tolerate it.Kemonojin
This is the problem with people these days. You would probably tolerate MS to rape you if it was required to use their console.
#36 Posted by lamprey263 (33097 posts) -
I doubt that, I call your bluff.
#37 Posted by Dreamcast86 (296 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dreamcast86"][QUOTE="Kemonojin"]I wouldn't like it, but I would learn to tolerate it.Teufelhuhn

I think likening "playing an always-online game" to "rape" is just a bit over the top. Don't you agree?

MS raped you each time they took money for Xbox Live.
#38 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dreamcast86"][QUOTE="Kemonojin"]I wouldn't like it, but I would learn to tolerate it.Teufelhuhn

EA and sim city might be a better comparison :P

Avatar image for PelicanRebelLdr
#39 Posted by PelicanRebelLdr (125 posts) -
I doubt that will keep me from gaming.
#40 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

I can't believe it'll ever happen purely because of all the hate they'll receive. It's a terrible idea, and one that I won't want to be a part of. If there's an internet issue in my area I can't play games? That's just awful.

#41 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

I wont be part of that either, but it doesn't mean you have to give up gaming. I'd just go around and collect old systems and games and play them, there's enough of them to play forever.

#42 Posted by JustPlainLucas (76819 posts) -
[QUOTE="Dreamcast86"] MS raped you each time they took money for Xbox Live.

It's not rape if you voluntarily give it up...
#43 Posted by thegroveman (123 posts) -

I think I will quit due to the industry-wide adoption of exploitative microtransaction-DLC models before I quit due to games being always online.

I have to ask though, when is the last time you bought a CD? 10 years into iTunes, most people are comfortable with digital distribution/DRM models for music. Valve, like iTunes, has come up with a DD/DRM model that gamers value because they have created an ecosystem that, yes is inherently DRM, but also has features that players value. The key for the whole industry moving that direction is not to *force* people down that path, but to create a kickass ecosystem where players *choose* to link their games to their accounts.

#44 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

Brian Fargo and CDProjekt Red seem to agree that always online is ridiculous as do I.

So there's people and businesses in the industry out there that agree.

#45 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
no you won't. you'll play older games on pc
#46 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
It's a terrible idea, no matter how fast or widespread a connection is. I refuse to support any company that tries to go with always online.