The Bittersweet in Gaming

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by NeoGen85 (4157 posts) -

What's the tenth month of the year in Tamriel? It shares the same name as this Elder Scrolls theme from Skyrim called Frostfall. Just recently during my play session with TESV, I was traveling from Solitude to Windhelm. I got caught in a snow storm during my journey and right when it cleared up I could see this beautiful aurora borealis in the sky. Overlapping my experience was the theme I mentioned above. It was so immersive; I had to take a screenshot(below). It put a smile on my face. My question is what has been bittersweet for you while playing videogames recently?

#2 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16710 posts) -

I'd say the ending to Silent Hill Shattered Memories is pretty bittersweet, although, with the amount of "bad" endings there are (and only one "good" ending) it's more towards the bitter. people who have played it know what I'm talking about. More recent example would be the final boss fight in tales of the Abyss, along with the ending. It used Tear's song to absolutely incredible effect. The ending was also bittersweet for me, even though it's been done in quite a few RPGs. The characters were extremely well developed throughout the game, so it made the events at the end that much more impactful for me. Most other times, the bittersweet comes to me after finishing a truly incredible game; I don't want it to be over, but at the same time it was damn close to perfection and I'm glad there was closure. Games like Majora's Mask and Wind Waker gave me that feeling.

The issue for me is that I rarely get invested emotionally in a game. It happens on occasion, but I find most game stories not good enough to warrant a lot of attachment.

#3 Posted by Business_Fun (2281 posts) -

Off the top of my head, the ending to Hotel Dusk: Room 215 on the DS. Wounds of the past had been reopened and painful questions remained which would probably never be answered, but for all that it felt like Kyle Hyde had managed to get some sort of closure and was finally ready to move on with his life.

#4 Edited by Lassiter88 (19 posts) -

I know I'll catch a lot of flak for this, but Skyrim itself was bittersweet for me. I loved it because I love the Elder Scrolls series, but I just could not be bothered to play it past the, in my opinion, very short main story.

I may be guilty of ruining it for myself -- I didn't think the main story would end when it did, based simply on the time it took to get to that point -- but I just didn't feel captured enough to pour myself into it like most others here seem to have done. I didn't spend countless hours off on the side quests because, well, I just didn't feel like it added anything to the story for me. The game's plot was building, and it was building... and then it was over.

Queue relentless backlash, I am sure, but I felt like I wasted money by buying this game as soon as it came out. I know this is a vague review -- "I didn't like it because I didn't seem to like it" -- but there it is.

*ducks*