The best shooter (your opinion)

#1 Posted by Freon97 (9 posts) -

Hello, I would like to begin the small discussion, what shooter the best? I suggest to write on two games. Not important what year of release, the most important this that that game already would leave! My opinion:
1) Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
2) Serious Sam

#2 Edited by mastermetal777 (1911 posts) -

1) BioShock. It built upon the idea of gameplay and world-building and allowing the player to discover the story on their own.

2) Spec Ops: The Line. Turned the modern military shooter on its head with a more personal and realistic story about PTSD and how far a player is actually willing to go to reach the end goal.

#3 Posted by SovietsUnited (2345 posts) -

1. Half-Life - for me, the flat-out greatest FPS ever. Excellent pacing, great gunplay, fun weapons, enemies, set-pieces, fantastic design, superbly presented story all make the ultimate FPS experience.
2. Unreal Tournament 99/2004 - Tie between those two; most fun multiplayer FPS I've ever played

#4 Posted by woomar (139 posts) -

FEAR , Riddick EFBB , Half-Life , Bioshock , COD MW2 and previous releases ,Battlefield (BC2,3) , The Punisher , Max Payne , you can even count Resident Evil 5 in since its not a horror series since RE 4 , i mean they tried in 6 and i liked it but still not matching with it roots enough .

These are the ones that i remember it doesn't mean there is no better .

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (14552 posts) -

YAY ! Yet another list thread ! ! !

#6 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Go away.

On topic, umm Story wise spec ops the line

Gameplay wise, Half life 2.

#7 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

Gears of War 3 still reigns as the top shooter in my opinion.

#8 Posted by SoNin360 (5567 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Yay! Another sarcastic comment from you!

But I guess I would go with the BioShock series if we're looking strictly at FPS. I can really only enjoy a FPS anymore if it has at least a decent story or very good gameplay. And it's hard to stand out in the gameplay department when you're a FPS. So what I'm saying is that I really love BioShock for its storytelling elements, although it does have fairly unique gameplay. Oh, plus it's nice to be able to explore some in a FPS as opposed to it being a linear, set piece-riddled, 4-5 hour ride.

#9 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (14552 posts) -

@Jeager_Titan

you know you could just ignore me.... ;)

#10 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: But I don't want to. :(

#11 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (14552 posts) -

@Jeager_Titan

lol. Really ?

You're the 1st.

#12 Posted by MirkoS77 (7775 posts) -

TLoU and Combat Evolved.

#13 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

don't list your f**ks this time

on topic,my opinion might differ from everyone because of my really special tastes in FPS genre.
Crysis series: Blended innovative gameplay with sandbox shooting style. Really up my alley.
Return To Castle Wolfenstien : Considering the time it was released, the environments were just amazing and awe-inspiring. The guns had that satisfying feeling which compelled you to use them more....at least me because I usually opt for the stealthy way in FPS games by using knives or pistols but RTCW was the only game in which I really did use guns to the extent where I ran out of ammo (yes that's an unusual thing for me).

#14 Posted by LiveDreamPlay (7 posts) -

First person shooter: Far Cry

Third person shooter: Infamous

#15 Posted by Syncotic (66 posts) -

Far Cry 3 was my favorite I loved running around the jungles with a pimped out bow

#16 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (6421 posts) -

My no.1 FPS will always be Half-Life 2.

#17 Posted by mastermetal777 (1911 posts) -

My personal favorite shooter is the original BioShock, hands down. And I also can't find it in me to call Half-Life 2 a "great" game. To me, it's average at best.

#18 Edited by Justin_G (202 posts) -

it's rare to see that said, but i tend to agree. HL2 is very average. i mean, look at Doom 3... it was released around the same-ish time... it was "average" but at least it didn't claim to be anything other then Doom with a paint job and some good shadow effects... it was... basic... but it was still fun as it's latter titles... HL2 became more of the kinda thing you'd see in HL hard mode. bullet sponges eating up your limited ammo, and running around trying to dart into some health packs and ammo to keep playing against cardboard box enemies which AI's haven't been drastically improved since the latter game, for whatever reasons... i dunno... the best part is getting back to City 17, and then yeah... the sand trap level is fuggin hard... too hard... especially when the game is already an endurance test after the third level.

#19 Posted by Pffrbt (6588 posts) -

1. Vanquish.
2. Resident Evil 4.