yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 yukushi
Member since 2011 • 2368 Posts

Its a great game but it does not cater to casual players, how hard is it to simply put an easy mode in the game so casuals can also enjoy the experience, why alienate a large part of the gaming community just because they are not very skilled.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@yukushi: the Souls series was always intended to be difficult, ever since Demon's Souls. It's meant for players who don't want an easy game but a challenge. It's never been for casual players, and Bloodborne is no exception. Sorry

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

the Souls series and Bloodborne has never catered to casuals and From Soft should never change the way they design these games for casuals..use co-op if its too hard for you

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

It was designed specifically to challenge gamers, and they have been quite transparent about this. I think you likely need to play some more, get better at the combat (I am admittedly pretty terrible) and you'll will succeed!

Positive reinforcement FTW! :D

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69428 Posts

@yukushi said:

Its a great game but it does not cater to casual players, how hard is it to simply put an easy mode in the game so casuals can also enjoy the experience, why alienate a large part of the gaming community just because they are not very skilled.

You can level grind. Its tedious but it is an option. Having an easy option for games like this would make sense but then again it would deprive so many unaccomplished folks of their bragging rights and we can't allow that now. :P

Expane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Expane
Member since 2003 • 560 Posts

@yukushi said:

Because re-balancing gameplay for difficulty levels takes a crap load of time and is always buggy.

Difficulty sliders are only really worth it for sports games.

Look at Dragon Age Origins and Diablo 3 for example. fucking Diablo 3 has like 15 difficulty levels, and all of them are just gear-checks. It's stupid

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

This is what I like about Bloodborne is it has a learning curve and actually challenges you to be smart through trial and error. This used to be a normal thing in games but now From Software have made it a "mechanic" when that I find kind of annoying. What I don't like about the game is it's a pretty standard castlevania type game otherwise.

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 yukushi

I understand the point of hardcore gamers but not everybody has the time to go through a steep learning curve and they just want to play a good game and have fun without a lot of frustration and this is a big part of the gaming market, From software is losing a lot of money by ignoring this the game can sell twice as many copies if they opened themselves to this market.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mastermetal777

@yukushi: the game isn't meant for everyone though. And the Souls series before this game all sold very well in spite of the difficulty. It's a niche series that was never intended to bring in money, but to appeal to an audience craving an old-school challenge

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Damn that Baby is bad ass.... :)

Anyway the problem is you actually think this game is hard...... keep playing..... you'l learn that it's not...... its actually just punishing..... and does a poor job of teaching you anything.

Avatar image for MasterTankallex
MasterTankallex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MasterTankallex
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts

Since when is not catering to casuals considered a bad thing? The Souls games and Bloodborne are meant to test you, as well as make you learn and improve your play style. These games will either break some players to the point where they give up and never play one again, or they adapt and push through.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Buckhannah
Member since 2013 • 715 Posts

Games are allowed to specifically cater to certain groups. Look at fighters... basically a closed genre at this point.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu

@Buckhannah:

What does that mean ?

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Celtic_34

I think the fact Bloodborne actually has a challenge is a good thing. To me it's just trial and error and the fun of it is the challenge and the whole point of games in ways. I dont think it has a steep learning curve either. It's pretty straightforward. Keep trying and adapt until you get it right. The average person can't have everything they want. I think back int he day the average developer was smarter than the average person and it wasn't big business and marketing. There has to be something left for people who want an actual challenge that isn't cheapened by so many people. I don't even think Bloodborne is the end all be all. It's closer to demons souls than dark souls though which is a good thing imo as far as level design and just the whole point of the game.

Gaming to me is meant to be fun. It has nothing to do with having the time either. Some games aren't worth my time if they don't provide fun and part of that is something that actually challenges my brain vs something that doesn't.

Not to be rude but some peoples version of fun is different and it has nothing to do with having too much time on our hands. We might just be smarter than you in ways and don't find the same enjoyment in mindless things. These same people will be like that's your fault you can't have fun with mindless games and blah, blah. The same goes for people who can't find fun with games like this and actually get frustrated with games like this. I don't. I find them fun.

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Buckhannah

@Lulu_Lulu: it means it's ok for a dev to make a game that caters to a specific group of people. Happens all the time. I don't expect EA to change Madden to appeal to me, and people who play games on easy mode shouldn't expect From Software to cater to them.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@Celtic_34:

"it has a learning curve and actually challenges you to be smart through trial and error."

Thats a paradox..... smart people don't learn by failing at every twist and turn.....

Trial and Error barely even constitutes learning...... memorizing would be more accurate.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#17 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

To dumb down the gameplay would be stripping away what makes these games so great in the first place. It would be taking away their souls. ;)

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Celtic_34

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Celtic_34:

"it has a learning curve and actually challenges you to be smart through trial and error."

Thats a paradox..... smart people don't learn by failing at every twist and turn.....

Trial and Error barely even constitutes learning...... memorizing would be more accurate.

I disagree with this. It does actually challenge you to be smart. You can't just lazily go through the game. You have memorize like you said and think about what you are doing and if you want to do this. You can't just run head first into everything. I get what you are saying and hurting yourself is no good. Failing is not always good and failure is failure but at the same time running into everything with no thought whatsoever is a massive failure whether people realize this or not.

I like how bloodborne can change what you are doing and how you have to prepare and do certain things. It makes you think that way.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lulu_Lulu

@Buckhannah:

I mean the "Closed Genre" part..... I honestly don't understand.

Besides....difficultuy is not an either or situation..... they can put in an easy mode real easily..... hell they still can do it right now for blood borne if they didn't have their heads so far up their own &*$#/#

Buckhannah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Buckhannah

@Lulu_Lulu: but they don't WANT their game to have an easy mode, and that'a ok. Closed genre means it's very hard for someone not already playing them to get into it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@Celtic_34:

You can't think, prepare or plan for a scenarios you know nothing about...... hence theres nothing to get smart about...... wether you run in like a manuac or sneak around like you're walking on egg shells makes very little difference if From Sofware's Idea of Difficulty is them just just trying to surprize you with things you had no way of knowing or preparing for.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lulu_Lulu

@Buckhannah:

No genre is like that..... each genre has games that have varying degrees of Depth and Complexity........ anybody can hop into anything if the developers are willing to accommodate them.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: you realize nobody really knows what's going to happen in any new game? Nobody plans for anything. And even then, there's an expectation with the Souls games and Bloodborne that the player is intelligent enough to figure out the mechanics by, oh I don't know, actually using them instead of going through a tutorial that barely lets you play before you learn something new. How do people learn? Practice. How do you practice? You repeat something over and over until you succeed. How that doesn't equate to learning in your mind is truly fascinating. If you're great at a game from the get-go, then it's too easy.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Celtic_34

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Celtic_34:

You can't think, prepare or plan for a scenarios you know nothing about...... hence theres nothing to get smart about...... wether you run in like a manuac or sneak around like you're walking on egg shells makes very little difference if From Sofware's Idea of Difficulty is them just just trying to surprize you with things you had no way of knowing or preparing for.

I'm not saying Bloodborne is the end all be all. I don't even think it's that great. Like i said it's basically trial and error but I still would rarely ever pan a game because of it's difficulty. Especially in todays day and age. There are so many games that are pandering to the masses that a game that actually gets your bloodflow going vs being comatose while playing it is a good thing. Ninja Gaiden was a series that was known for its difficulty. I liked it. I'm not saying there aren't other ways to provide challenge and thought either. But was is fun? I think getting your bloodflow going and provoking thought is part of that.

Just because people get frustrated by it doesnt mean other people don't find it fun. IT's a flaw with those people imo just like they would say about me for not enjoying whatever they find fun.

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

@Celtic_34 said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@Celtic_34:

I disagree with this. It does actually challenge you to be smart. You can't just lazily go through the game. You have memorize like you said and think about what you are doing and if you want to do this. You can't just run head first into everything. I get what you are saying and hurting yourself is no good. Failing is not always good and failure is failure but at the same time running into everything with no thought whatsoever is a massive failure whether people realize this or not.

I like how bloodborne can change what you are doing and how you have to prepare and do certain things. It makes you think that way.

I see the point but I too find that logic faulty because that would mean people memorizing mathematical formulas and through hard work get the letters dr. in front of their names are not smart. Memorizing is knowledge, and knowledge is power, I think we all can agree on that.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu

@Celtic_34:

Ninja Gaiden is so hard that even looking for a copy that I can buy is difficult. ;)

Really need to get that game ASAP..... Ya know.... after Splinter Cell.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

You realise many new games have proper tutorials and aren't designed by a time wasting prick.... they have proper save systems and don't encourage you to abuse the AI.

Sorry but that argument simply doesn't apply to other games like it does to these ones......

I wonder what Super Meatboy is like.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: every game has exploitable systems. If they didn't, nobody would ever win. We all exploit slow animation windups, lengthy staggers, and other animation tricks designed for gamers to memorize and take advantage of in order to succeed. Sorry, but you've been misinformed.

And Super Meat Boy is all memorization. One mistake, you start that level again.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

Again you misunderstood..... my problem is not a game having exploits..... its if they force me to abuse them that it becomes a problem.....

you know those brick wielding dudes..... Theres this one scenario in Blood Borne where that guy is surrounded by a bunch of Crows....... shoot the crows and they won't follow..... shoot the Brick Guy and he will.... but only up to a point.....

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: that's not that helpful. They follow if you don't kill them immediately.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

Those ones won't.

Rurikahn's plan was to get them to follow him all the way back to that dude that helps you with the were wolves....... and surprise surprise they stop before they reach other's agro range.....

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: yeah because otherwise it would be unfair and cheap. Bloodborne has smarter enemies, and their aggro range is set to keep things from getting too cheap.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

Maybe....... I'l never know. Damn Exclusivity.

And another thing I hate about this game..... the Cleric Beast is tanky as hell..... I mean you smack that thing with the Kirk Hammer and a tiny Sliver of its health barely dissappears....... this is one if those "Am I not doing this right" Type of Situations....... very annoying.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: just dodge and attack after it uses the big arm. Figured that out after the third time it killed me.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I don't buy these games because I don't have the time to invest. A couple hours here and there throughout a month isn't going to cut it for challenging games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

Are you deliberately ignoring my points...... I said he is tanky and attacking him with the game's hardest hitting starting weapon barely takes anything off his health Bar......

What does his arm have to do with any if that ?

The Oil and Molotovs don't deal any significant damage either considering their scarcity.....

Its very misleading to fill the game with enemies you can deal with without spamming multiple attacks and then throwing in a damage Sponge for a Boss.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: and I'm saying there's a great way to beat him that turns him from a damage sponge into a more manageable foe

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

I'm sure there is....... the problem is the game doesn't even give you hint if thats even a possibility...... atleast not without Dying first.

I did see what looked like a Backstab though.... Didn't know you could critically hit bosses that large....... but can't do the same to the dogs. Serious lack of consistency.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: why do dogs need a backstab move? You stun them and send them flying with a shot and they die the very next hit. No need for a parry. Not all creatures need a parry maneuver y'know.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

WHY NOT !!! its fun mechanic.... why not let me use it EVERYWHERE ? to make the game harder ? Boring !

Every now and From Software comes to a cross Roads where they have to choose between making a game interesting and making the game harder...... guess which one they keep choosing.....

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mastermetal777

@Lulu_Lulu: they always do both for me. You just wanna complain because you love complaining.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lulu_Lulu

@mastermetal777:

They rarely do both.... the entire foundation the game is built around wasting your time.......

They can make it crazy hard if they want to but I rarely is it ever interesting.......

Atleast they're learning...... I didn't see any crazy narrow ledges designed to make people fall....... but then if you did find one.... Would you tell me ?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#43 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Without the challenge, the entire game falls apart. Its mechanics would be boring without the constant threat of failure.

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

Anytime I hear anyone complaining about Souls or Bloodborne, in this case, being "too hard" --I really hear someone saying, "I actually have to play this game?" Yes, yes you actually have "play" this game instead walking/running your way through the game being hand-held doing the most minimal things to reach another cutscene.

Expane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#45 Expane
Member since 2003 • 560 Posts

@Buckhannah said:

Games are allowed to specifically cater to certain groups. Look at fighters... basically a closed genre at this point.

100%. They gave away the DC fighting game on PSN. I deleted it after 10 minutes. I found it unplayable. But I used to love games like Tobal 2

yukushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 yukushi

Man from hearing you guys talk about the fights in bloodborne it sounds like the kind of game that would make me curse and throw my control, there was this dude on another forum who is a hardcore player and he is very good at these type of games and he says he already died 25 times and he not that far in the game, I think I will stay far away from bloodborne for my health and stress levels.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Lulu_Lulu

@yukushi:

Or just use a guide..... ;)

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Well the developer did say in a interview that when the players complained about the game being too difficult then it fueled them to make the next one even more difficult.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Lulu_Lulu

@Treflis:

I'd like to see this interview........

TrevorZyla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TrevorZyla
Member since 2015 • 76 Posts

@yukushi said:

You have to look at the game differently from other games. Dying is not a failure in the game, it's integral to the gameplay mechanics. If they put in an easy mode what would differentiate it from other action RPGs? The dying and the difficulty is core to the experience of the game, and putting an easy mode in would only cheapen it.