The Amazing Spider-Man 2, anyone played it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

So I got the game on release day (PS4 owner strictly now) and so far, I'm enjoying it for what it is.

I am loving the web-slinging and how I feel like Spider-Man when I do so around the city. So far, there's a lot to see and do, like collecting comic book pages.

Combat feels a bit off to me somehow. I'm so used to the Arkham combat mechanics that I'm having a little hard time getting used to things here. All you do is basically move around, counter when necessary, disarm people when they have guns raised at you, etc. You can't leap around enemies like how you can in Batman AA/AC/AO, which is the biggest problem I have with right now. But it is fun and engaging, I'll give it that.

I'm also liking the hero/maniac moral system here. Depending on what you do around the city, you are either seen as a hero or a maniac, but from the reviews I've read, it unfortunately doesn't amount to much as people will view you as evil anyway, so that's not a good thing at all.

Any thoughts from you guys on this game?

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

Well, first of all, no matter how much good Spidey does, he's always villainized in the press- it's the only reason he hesitated when Captain America invited him to join the New Avengers.

Second, I'm hesitant to rip on the combat so far, since I haven't unlocked all of the combat moves yet, but so far, it is definitely no Arkham title. I'm starting to learn the tells that telegraph who is gearing up to take a swing at me, and I've already amassed a combo of over 100x, but there isn't much depth to it in the usual way. I don't even know what combat moves there are yet, besides the permanent disarm, web pull speed boost and clothesline(totally saving up the points for that one). But unless I'm much mistaken, I think that Tue advanced combat tactics are going to be based around movement and web rush, rather than building combos or a special meter. Have you noticed how long your combo meter persists between strikes?

Traversal is definitely an improvement. Combining web rush chains with webswings can make you look totally badass, but it's still no Spider-Man 2.

What I really like, though, is how the different suits have different attributes. If you're setting out to perform a specific task(say, those stealth missions where the Russians hang out) you can put on a suit that boosts your stealth, or if you're going to do combat challenges at the comic shop, you can wear a suit that boosts you attack and defense, maybe one that speeds up your webshooters' rate of fire. And it looks like each suit levels up independently, for something to work on for those completionists.

So far as the Hero/Menace system, it's interesting, but so far I can only attain a level 1 menace rank, so all I have to do is keep an eye out for those annoying machine gun drones and beware of touching down on one of the intersections where the task force set up their checkpoints. Man, those checkpoints can be baaaad news.

The biggest negative I have to say about it is that there is just so damn much loading- into and out of petty crimes, story missions, conversations- hell, even stepping into the comic shop. The worst one by far, though, is when you fail a combat challenge and instead of asking if you want to retry, it boots you back into the comic shop, and to do that, you'd swear it was reloading the entire damn city.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 El_Zo1212o

Wait- you sold your 360??

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Metamania

@El_Zo1212o said:

Wait- you sold your 360??

Yes I have. I decided it was time to move on.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By El_Zo1212o

@Metamania: "Move on"? Dude! How am I going to mock you for failing to top my high scores? What about hanging out talking about random bullshit with me and Mr Turning?

I mean, it's cool you got a PS 4 and all, but that really fuckin' sucks, man.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

It sucks just like the movie it's based on

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 El_Zo1212o

@ShepardCommandr: it actually doesn't.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

My problem with it the news cast after each side mission. They are not short. If they did not affect your suit then I would skip all the side missions.

SpaceCatThe1st

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 SpaceCatThe1st
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

(PC gamer) It's an okay game and I enjoy the combat but other than the main missions there's not much to do. I say it's good if all you want is the main story with few side missions (I wouldn't really call them missions) to the side. But other than that it's not that great.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Oh dear not looking good for spiderman 2, last spiderman game I bought was original spiderman2, has there been any good spiderman games since then.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#11 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Haven't played it because I doubt any Spiderman game that isn't the original Spiderman 2 can be anything more than "okay." I was sorely disappointed with Spiderman 3, so after that, nothing. Spiderman 2 is a ton of fun, though, definitely a really good movie based game.

Although Ultimate Spiderman was solid since playing as Venom is a lot of fun.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 El_Zo1212o

@ariabed: There hasn't been anything AS good since then, but as far as Spiderman goes, this one's pretty good.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Metamania

@El_Zo1212o said:

@Metamania: "Move on"? Dude! How am I going to mock you for failing to top my high scores? What about hanging out talking about random bullshit with me and Mr Turning?

I mean, it's cool you got a PS 4 and all, but that really fuckin' sucks, man.

Sorry dude, but I decided I had enough with my Xbox 360. As for Mr. Turning, he did the same and we both now own PS4s, so if you ever feel like wanting to talk with us again, just get one. :P

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 El_Zo1212o

@Metamania: Wow. I feel like someone I never met, but was still disproportionately fond of just died...

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Metamania

@El_Zo1212o said:

@Metamania: Wow. I feel like someone I never met, but was still disproportionately fond of just died...

Stop being melodramatic.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By El_Zo1212o

@Metamania: Not a chance- it's my only marketable skill.

Mesomorphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#17  Edited By Mesomorphin
Member since 2013 • 903 Posts

Yes man! bought it about 3 hours ago, and so far I'am loving the shit out of it! loving the fan fair with the villains, the easter eggs! the swinging and hell I love the peter parker segments of the game! My own personal dislike is just the stealth, but everything else is great so far! 8/10 for sure!