Tekken 6 vs. Mortal Kombat 9

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

I am looking to get in on the ground floor of the fighting game genre and get my feet wet, and I am trying to figure out which game to go with. After extensive research, I have narrowed it down to these two games. So go ahead and vote on which one is your personal favorite, in specific regards to the following categories:

1) learning curve

2) online play (lag, input delay, load times, finding a game)

3) the community (how large, what skill levels, and general friendliness)

4) the single player offerings (what is really worth playing, and how much will it keep you coming back)

5) The overall better package.

Thanks guys! Going to pick up a game on saturday, so now I just need to figure out which one!

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
I can't give you an opinion because I haven't played mortal kombat 9, something that's important to note though if you enjoy the single player in fighting games is that Tekken 6 doesn't have a traditional arcade story mode.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

This isn't even a question worthy of answer.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

I am looking to get in on the ground floor of the fighting game genre and get my feet wet, and I am trying to figure out which game to go with. After extensive research, I have narrowed it down to these two games. So go ahead and vote on which one is your personal favorite, in specific regards to the following categories:

1) learning curve

2) online play (lag, input delay, load times, finding a game)

3) the community (how large, what skill levels, and general friendliness)

4) the single player offerings (what is really worth playing, and how much will it keep you coming back)

5) The overall better package.

Thanks guys! Going to pick up a game on saturday, so now I just need to figure out which one!

Essian

This is probably the hardest fighting game question anyone could have asked this gen. But I'll take a stab at it...

1) Learning curve is about the same imo. Moves are executed with very similar inputs across the board for basic special moves. But MK9 has the added challenge of learning finishing moves. Tekken has more opportunity for air-juggling with combo strikes. Both control very well, but Tekken feels a little more fluid in action.

2) I only played Tekken online a few times. Ran smoothly in my experience, but I wouldn't consider myself a doctor on the subject. Mortal Kombat I have more experience playing online, and I have had a couple laggy matches and drops, but I'd give it an 8/10.

3) Both communities are full of expert players who will kick your ass relentlessly. But far as I know they pare you up with people around your exp level as much as possible. Cannot specifically recall, but I believe there are filter options on both to help with this. I'm more into local mp if you can't tell.

4) Mortal Kombat wins this category hands down. Tekken has the arcade stlyle, beat-em-up story mode. But Mk has secrets (hidden characters), and a tonne of unlockables in the crypt. MK just has more rewarding things to unlock than Tekken. And MK simply has more content in this department.

5) Both are highly worth recommending. But MK has more content, and it has more personality (and therefore more longevity) than Tekken. Both have their own fighting rhythm, and both feel comfortable. The fighting is equal in terms of quality, but I Mortal Kombat gets my recommendation. There's just more there to keep you coming back.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Tekken 6 has huge loading times, that only made me hate the game.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts
anyone else?
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Tekken has fallen a long way since PS1 days. MK9 was a very tight fighting experience. Best mortal Kombat ever. Also the story mode was pretty damn good for a fighting game

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ilovegames1992

This question almost offends me. MK is the god of fighting games. MK 9 was one of the GOTYs

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

This question almost offends me. MK is the god of fighting games. MK 9 was one of the GOTYs

Ilovegames1992

Not on Gamespot it wasn't.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ilovegames1992

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

OneSanitarium

Screw Gamespot.

Avatar image for JoeInWonderland
JoeInWonderland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JoeInWonderland
Member since 2012 • 112 Posts
I enjoy Tekken's fighting system the best, but the most rewarding overall has been Mortal Kombat. Hands down the best Story Mode in a fighting game I've ever ran across. The fatalities were nothing short of epic, the unlock system was fun, a good learning curve for any type of player, and just an overall better experience. Tho as said Tekken still has my favorite fighting mechanics.
wyan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wyan_
Member since 2009 • 614 Posts

Christ, I didn't even realize MK had its ninth game in tow. Damn I'm feeling........ young.

OneSanitarium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 OneSanitarium
Member since 2009 • 6959 Posts

[QUOTE="OneSanitarium"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

Screw Gamespot.

Upset they chose a better game?

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ilovegames1992