Team Fortress 2 Eurogamer review + Screens! Videos! Beta Impressions!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

You can check out the entire review here. It's a 9/10, by the way.

Here's a few interesting excerpts:

Making a complicated team-based online FPS like Team Fortress into an accessible experience was obviously one of Valve's objectives. Each map comes with a short video that tells you about the game-type and goals; all the level architecture is distinct when you move between sections, with big sign-posts telling you which capture-point or area you're heading to; and all the weapons and abilities are really intuitive, like the Medic's healing gun, which fires health into your target and illustrates this by pumping little red crosses along the stream.

Engineers are particularly susceptible to Spies, though, because they're often kneeling down and working on something. And Spies are drawn to their location, because Spies can also undo entrenched sentry guns, sabotaging them at the potential cost of exposure. That relationship is typical. Each cIass is a cunning set of contradictions. It's not so much rock, paper, scissors as rock, paper, scissors, flick-knife, fire, sentry-gun, mini-gun, sniper rifle, double-jump, bone-saw.

Picture

In contrast with other, less accessible team-based FPS games, TF2's clever concoction of cIasses, artistic choices and relationship trackers help you establish effective attack and defence routines almost without the need for voice communication (although it, and finger-bending voice-command menus, are present). The good thing about that instinctive adaptation is that it allows you to slot onto public servers without feeling self-conscious, but the further you progress the more likely you are to experiment with tougher cIass, and the more strategic depth you uncover. The victor, in every situation, is simply the team who adapted best first. Where we perhaps expected baffling complexity, instead we've got a game that rewards mental agility, but doesn't struggle to cultivate it.

In an uncharacteristic burst of intelligent observation, the game's Wikipedia entry remarks that the old design of TF2 is "quite possibly the only game to have spawned a thriving sub-genre without ever being released itself". For the people who make up that sub-genre, as well as those addressing it afresh, we're confident the reaction will be "ten years well spent".

Picture

Sounds great to me. I'm not a big multiplayer guy, but I'll definitely check out Team Fortress 2. I love how its complex yet accessible - unlike most cIass-based online FPS. It's also interesting how Eurogamer reviewed Team Fortress 2 seperately from The Orange Box, I guess they'll do the same with Episode Two and Portal.

Your thoughts?

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

If its on the orange box I'll probably get it with the 360 game and play it offline, are there offline modes?

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
I hope to replace the aging counter strike source with this game. :) Good to see that it scored so well.
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UpInFlames

If its on the orange box I'll probably get it with the 360 game and play it offline, are there offline modes?gaminggeek

Yeah, it's in The Orange Box, but I don't know about any offline modes - that's what you get Episode Two and Portal for. This is meant to be played online.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts

[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]If its on the orange box I'll probably get it with the 360 game and play it offline, are there offline modes?UpInFlames

Yeah, it's in The Orange Box, but I don't know about any offline modes - that's what you get Episode Two and Portal for. This is meant to be played online.

There might be an offline option like in CSS for PC where you can use bots.
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
Sounds like a really good game if you like online multiplayer shooters. I personally mostly play single player games so i'll skip this. At the moment I think i'm most probably just buying Episode 2 individually (and feeling very ripped off ... this is what longtime supporters who have all the games up to episode 1 get :evil: )
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Sounds like Day of Defeat on steroids (in terms of team based strategy). Exactly my kind of game. :D
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

Yeah, I read that review....looks goo. Been waiting for TF2 for awhile now.

The Orange Box comes with only six maps.....but I read that Valve plans on releasing more over Steam for free. No surprise given their past multiplayer games. If TF2 follows the same roadmap as CS:S, we can probably expect to see between 4 to 6 additional maps offered for free over Steam by early next year.

Though six isn't much, I gotta admit pretty smart on Valve's part, release the game with six maps in the retail copy to get those gamers who buy the retail copy hooked, then offer additional content over Steam as incentive to get gamers onto the Steam, where Valve makes the most profit.

Besides, with all the mods that will most likely be made for TF2, that should definitely fill in the gap as Valve releases maps over Steam.

[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]If its on the orange box I'll probably get it with the 360 game and play it offline, are there offline modes?UpInFlames

I don't think TF2 comes with any offline modes or bots out of the box.....but I expect Valve will release bots for TF2 over Steam shortly after release, just like they did with CS:S.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
I don't think TF2 comes with any offline modes or bots out of the box.....but I expect Valve will release bots for TF2 over Steam shortly after release, just like they did with CS:S.Robnyc22

Yeah, they were "supposed" to do it with Day of Defeat Source as well. AFAIK, they never did.
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bugsonglass
Ok just read one can give Half-Life 2, and episode one as gifts to friends if they have them already and they purchuse the orange box. that makes it somewhat better I still think there should be 'the black box'
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
Sweet review. BTW, pre-purchasers are already playing the beta on Steam. CVG uploaded a couple of gameplay vids. They look good.
LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

This is included in The Orange Box, but is there any other way to get it? Steam?

Not that it matters too much to me. I'll be getting The Orange Box anyway. :)

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bugsonglass

This is included in The Orange Box, but is there any other way to get it? Steam?

Not that it matters too much to me. I'll be getting The Orange Box anyway. :)

LordAndrew

You can get it on Steam indivisually for $30 (if you're crazy)

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 UpInFlames

Sweet review. BTW, pre-purchasers are already playing the beta on Steam. CVG uploaded a couple of gameplay vids. They look good.SteelAttack

Oh man, thanks for posting those. Looking good indeed, I love how it immediately cuts to the guy who wasted you - revenge, baby!

By the way, did you guys check out this hilarious "Meet the Engineer" video?

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
I quess this is a game you have to play to understand the fun, because as a non TF player it doesn't look so uber interesting. Shadowrun is more deep than thisI think. I really like the cartoon style though, and it's a bargain coming with the orange box. I think I'll have a shot.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
This game and everything else in the prange box looks godly, you would be teh stupid not to buy this. Oh Mr.Flames I hope you are man enough to face me :evil:
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 UpInFlames

This game and everything else in the prange box looks godly, you would be teh stupid not to buy this. Oh Mr.Flames I hope you are man enough to face me :evil:GodModeEnabled

Dude, I eat pure Canadian casual console gamers like you for breakfast. Bring it on!

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Awesome.

I've been waiting to get the orange box for awhile now. I played Half-Life 2 on the Xbox and while it was a decent port I'm definately looking forward to playing this on the 360 as well getting a chance to play Episodes 1 & 2, Portal, and of course some great online matches with Team Fortress 2.

I checked out the two "Meet the ...." videos on Marketplace and they were hilarious, loved them. I absolutely love the art direction they took with TF2.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts
There will be no shortage of shoot people in the face opportunities this holiday season.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
An online-only multiplayer FPS that's accessible??? Blasphemy! I demand games where it takes weeks of embarassment and learning the maps to actually be proficient! :P
viberooni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 viberooni
Member since 2003 • 1396 Posts
I'm also not a huge team based multiplayer guy, but who can resist the lure of this game? Looks amazing, can't wait to get my Orange Box on this fall.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Teuf_
Well I just pre-purchased Orange Box so I can play the TF2 beta now...I'll let you guys know how it is. :D
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 UpInFlames

Well I just pre-purchased Orange Box so I can play the TF2 beta now...I'll let you guys know how it is. :DTeufelhuhn

Yeah, definitely post impressions.

GT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 GT90
Member since 2002 • 6256 Posts
I've been playig the TF2 beta, so far the only class I don't like is the Scout. I might just need more time with him though. The one thing I have noticed is that there isn't much team play it's more see enemy. have six team mates shoot at him to see who gets the kill.
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
I had so many good times with TFC back in its hayday. Back then me and some of my friends would have a weekly LAN session of TFC on Fridays after school and it was always a blast. While I don't think I'm going to have as much fun as I did back then, I'm still really looking forward to playing TF2. I always loved how differently the classes played from each other, which kept things fresh since you could always switch class to change up your style of play.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Teuf_
I played for about 2 hours, and its a good time. Like Eurogamer said accessibility was definitely a priority for the dev team, as it shows. There's plenty of guides and signs, and even an indicator pointing to the enemy base in CTF. The classes are pretty straightforward, and haven't changed much since TFC. They're even conveniently grouped into "Offense", "Defense", and "Support" categories so you have a good idea what you're supposed to do when you pick a class. The character abilities are appropiately exaggerated so its not hard to tell where you should and shouldn't be with any class...for example the scout is uber-fast but appropriately weak, the heavys are slow and shoot lots of bullets, demos can lay traps, pyros are close quarters, soldiers are just straight up damage-dealers. In some maps a particular class would dominate, and sometimes the classes feel unbalanced (if there's a lot of spies around it can be difficult to know what's going on, which ends with you getting knifed in the back). However it's too early to tell how things will play out once people are more familiar with the game.

Teamwork-wise its pretty much par for the course as far as most online games on public servers go (that is, the teamwork is rare). However TF isn't really the kind of game where precision strategy is required, I would say. The choke points for defense are pretty obvious and engineers/other defense c|asses seem to naturally gravitate there. Of course capturing the flag is never a solo job, so scouts still need plenty of support if they hope not to get splattered by a Heavy or sentry gun.

The graphics are really nice, they've got a lot of "charm" to them which is very unusual for a multiplayer game. Runs smooth as silk on my 8800, and I doubt they're very demanding on older cards either. I will post a few screenshots later, for your viewing pleasure.

All in all it was a very nostaligic experience for myself as TFC vet, it was quite strange to be back in 2Fort after so many years. I think the old PC gamers will take to it because frankly its not much different from TFC (except for the lack of grenades...), and console gamers will like it for the hectic action and accessibility.
Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts
YES!
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Teuf_

As promised, here are a plethora of screenshots.

Warning: these pics are 1440 x 900 and they're PNG, so they're big files (about 0.8-1.3MB each). If anyone is interested, this is with AF maxed, HDR on, Motion blur on, high shaders and reflections, and 4x MSAA.

The level description

The level intro video

The team selection screen

The c|ass selection screen

Just after spawning

A capture point (notice the little "Blu Team" logo)

Me saluting in 2Fort

A friendly sniper, up close and personal

Engineers build teleporters that zap you to the front lines

An exciting action shot

Getting healed by a medic

Your stats for each c|ass

The Steam Community overlay (XBL, eat your heart out!)

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 UpInFlames

Thanks for the impressions, Teuf. Sounds great to me. I've never played Team Fortress before, like I said, I'm not big on multi-player, but perhaps it's time to change that. I'm very much looking forward to Team Fortress 2 (I like how it's light-hearted and accessible, stuff like Counter-Strike and Battlefield was always a major turn-off for me), I'd love to play some matches with you and GodMode.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GodModeEnabled

Thanks for the impressions, Teuf. Sounds great to me. I've never played Team Fortress before, like I said, I'm not big on multi-player, but perhaps it's time to change that. I'm very much looking forward to Team Fortress 2 (I like how it's light-hearted and accessible, stuff like Counter-Strike and Battlefield was always a major turn-off for me), I'd love to play some matches with you and GodMode.

UpInFlames
You wont be saying that after I give you multiple grenade launcher enemas! :evil: Oh and btw my brother is moving in on.... hmm near the end of october and taking his $2500 top o the line gaming pc with him, so I will have this game and the means to play it. SO STOP MOCKING ME FLAMES AND TEUF I WILL SHOW YOU JUST HOW UNCASUAL MY SKILLZ ARE. Im gonna start stockpiling some baerz now.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Teuf_
You wont be saying that after I give you multiple grenade launcher enemas! :evil: Oh and btw my brother is moving in on.... hmm near the end of october and taking his $2500 top o the line gaming pc with him, so I will have this game and the means to play it. SO STOP MOCKING ME FLAMES AND TEUF I WILL SHOW YOU JUST HOW UNCASUAL MY SKILLZ ARE. Im gonna start stockpiling some baerz now.GodModeEnabled

Well man I sure hope you practice a lot before coming back to play with us PC people. We wouldn't want you to embarass yourself. :wink:
UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 UpInFlames

You wont be saying that after I give you multiple grenade launcher enemas! :evil: Oh and btw my brother is moving in on.... hmm near the end of october and taking his $2500 top o the line gaming pc with him, so I will have this game and the means to play it. SO STOP MOCKING ME FLAMES AND TEUF I WILL SHOW YOU JUST HOW UNCASUAL MY SKILLZ ARE. Im gonna start stockpiling some baerz now.GodModeEnabled

Well, now there will at least be one PC gamer in your household...:wink: Good to hear you'll be having a gaming PC, man. Lord knows that you would never actually buy one.

EDIT: What about you, Steel? Getting the PC version, or what?

HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
Oh man there was almost too much news that came out yesterday, I didn't get a chance to look at a bunch of threads including this one, and many of gaminggeeks and dvaders due to a paper i had to write...oh and the small amount of time I spent whining about Jeff's review of skate. Anyway I wasn't really all that excited about this game before, but now I really just can not wait for the Orange Box to come out, it is taking forever it seems.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Well, now there will at least be one PC gamer in your household...:wink: Good to hear you'll be having a gaming PC, man. Lord knows that you would never actually buy one.

UpInFlames

UpInFlames

After thoroughly cheking system requirements for this, I decided I will be getting it. If only to embarrass myself with you hardcore PC gamers. Oh, and GodMode. :P :)

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 UpInFlames

After thoroughly cheking system requirements for this, I decided I will be getting it. If only to embarrass myself with you hardcore PC gamers. Oh, and GodMode. :P :)SteelAttack

Alright! Gots me another one! Mwahahahhahhhaha!

Ahem.

Source is extremely well optimized and scalable, pretty much anyone can run these games just fine. Good call, I have a feeling console gamers are going to miss out on a lot of post-release content, nevermind mods.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GodModeEnabled

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]You wont be saying that after I give you multiple grenade launcher enemas! :evil: Oh and btw my brother is moving in on.... hmm near the end of october and taking his $2500 top o the line gaming pc with him, so I will have this game and the means to play it. SO STOP MOCKING ME FLAMES AND TEUF I WILL SHOW YOU JUST HOW UNCASUAL MY SKILLZ ARE. Im gonna start stockpiling some baerz now.UpInFlames

Kitty is not amused...