Super Paper Crashio? PAL version has fatal freezing bug ZOMFG!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

SPM launched yesterday in europe and when I go to look for merle and check all the possible rooms, as soon as I go back to talk to the maid, the game crashes, the screen freezes and I get a high pitched tone from the TV :?

Confirmed :evil:

PAL Super Paper Mario glitch?

A couple of our readers are experience a game-freezing glitch in the PAL version of Super Paper Mario. The issue seems to pop up in Chapter 2-2. At a certain point, Mimi suggests that you investigate a number of rooms. Once you check all of these rooms and go back to talk to Mimi, the game freezes. Apparently a good amount of people are having this issue.

A solution that is working in some instances is setting the system language to German. This will allow you to progress past the glitchy point. You'll be able to save after you get past the bug, and then you can power off and switch your language back. Huge thanks to Alexander and Superluigi for the heads up.

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Nope, didn't have that bug. I wouldn't be surprised, though. I've experienced bugs or oddities that kept me from completing games. Couldn't even get past the second level of Prince of Persia on the NES, because he wouldn't grab a certain ledge, EVEN IF HE WAS RIGHT NEXT TO IT. I even looked at a speedrun to see when to jump, and followed.
Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
I never had any problems
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

You get it late and buggy, thats messed up.

dvader654

Lol. Wanna put any more salt into the wound? :P

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gaminggeek
Maybe there's a way around the bug, where the hell is merle exactly? I searched all the rooms and came up blank.
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts
Supposedly, one workaround for the glitch is to set the system's language to German, go beyond that glitch point, save, and switch the language back. Not sure if it'll work for you, but it's something I came across.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gaminggeek

Supposedly, one workaround for the glitch is to set the system's language to German, go beyond that glitch point, save, and switch the language back. Not sure if it'll work for you, but it's something I came across.Skylock00

How the hell did you find that one out? If this works, well.... what does that maid tell me to do then after I've checked all the rooms for merle? Where do I go? I cannie read german captain!

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gaminggeek

Aaah! It's true, PAL versions are broken!

video

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

Oh noez! *Runs to check if my pre-order shipped so I can cancel it otherwise and wait until they've fixed it.* This sucks no end.

edit: Damn! it shipped *looks for piece of furniture to break*

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gaminggeek

Oh noez! Runs to check if my pre-order shipped so I can cancel it otherwise and wait until they've fixed it. This sucks no end.bugsonglass

There are ways to work around it according to the comments in that article I linked, though I haven't tried yet.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

[QUOTE="bugsonglass"]Oh noez! Runs to check if my pre-order shipped so I can cancel it otherwise and wait until they've fixed it. This sucks no end.gaminggeek

There are ways to work around it according to the comments in that article I linked, though I haven't tried yet.

Yeah, maybe i'll even try playing the whole game in German :) i'm supposed to be learning the language any way so it should be good practice!

It makes me angry that they should ship such a glitchy/buggy built of the game though.

Anyway, I still have to concentrate on beating the first paper mario for now, that piranha plant boss in the volcano is teaching me a few lessons.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gaminggeek

another-thread on the subject :evil:

We wait 6 months or more for the release and it's buggy and crashes. SONOFA...... Aaaargh!

Anyhow my impressions so far. Firstly it's kinda weird, you expect the game to be a straight up platformer. Part of you desperately wants to see the sublime, crisp, imaginative visuals paired with clas-sic mario platforming. But no, everything here is slow and methodical and easy. You can't even run in the game at the moment. And in a platformer you do not expect to be constantly interupted with text.

Then you realise slowly that this is the same st-yle of rpg adventure as the other paper mario games, only on a 2-D plane. Only the 2-D nature restricts the game more than the open rpg st-yle environments of past PM games.

It's still a great game, that eventually sinks in as you begin to explore, but so far I'm feeling an 8.5 as the early sections are quite mundane in many ways. Although there is some inspired comedy which had me grinning ear to ear. The game needs Voice acting though, because the differences are more apparent in an action orientated game when you break for text vs a straight up rpg.

I love using just the remote for gameplay, there's something so elegant about just using a pad and a couple of buttons to wirelessly play. But the button limit means character and pixl switching becomes a minor annoyance, not so much when you know what you're doing. It probably would have been best to at least have a clas-sic controller option in there, or standard wii/nunchuk combo too.

I love the pointing at the screen dynamic, it freezes everything and makes it dark and this cool sound effect comes out of the speaker. Little things like that make the game feel a lot fresher, as does the plane switching. Unlike some reviewers, I'm perfectly happy with the environments when it switches to a 3d view.

The visuals are much cleaner, sharper and have a etched feel to them this time, really nice animation and playing as peach is fun. Because of the slow nature of the platforming though -it pains me to say this- but the bowser homage levels in the thousand year door were probably more like what I wanted.

If they make the next PROPER 2-D mario platformer using this engine, that would be heaven and would duely **** all over New Super Mario Bros. Unleash intelligent systems Nintendo and let them do that game.

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts

another-thread on the subject :evil:

We wait 6 months or more for the release and it's buggy and crashes. SONOFA...... Aaaargh!

Anyhow my impressions so far. Firstly it's kinda weird, you expect the game to be a straight up platformer. Part of you desperately wants to see the sublime, crisp, imaginative visuals paired with clas-sic mario platforming. But no, everything here is slow and methodical and easy. You can't even run in the game at the moment. And in a platformer you do not expect to be constantly interupted with text.

Then you realise slowly that this is the same st-yle of rpg adventure as the other paper mario games, only on a 2-D plane. Only the 2-D nature restricts the game more than the open rpg st-yle environments of past PM games.

It's still a great game, that eventually sinks in as you begin to explore, but so far I'm feeling an 8.5 as the early sections are quite mundane in many ways. Although there is some inspired comedy which had me grinning ear to ear. The game needs Voice acting though, because the differences are more apparent in an action orientated game when you break for text vs a straight up rpg.

I love using just the remote for gameplay, there's something so elegant about just using a pad and a couple of buttons to wirelessly play. But the button limit means character and pixl switching becomes a minor annoyance, not so much when you know what you're doing. It probably would have been best to at least have a clas-sic controller option in there, or standard wii/nunchuk combo too.

I love the pointing at the screen dynamic, it freezes everything and makes it dark and this cool sound effect comes out of the speaker. Little things like that make the game feel a lot fresher, as does the plane switching. Unlike some reviewers, I'm perfectly happy with the environments when it switches to a 3d view.

The visuals are much cleaner, sharper and have a etched feel to them this time, really nice animation and playing as peach is fun. Because of the slow nature of the platforming though -it pains me to say this- but the bowser homage levels in the thousand year door were probably more like what I wanted.

If they make the next PROPER 2-D mario platformer using this engine, that would be heaven and would duely **** all over New Super Mario Bros. Unleash intelligent systems Nintendo and let them do that game.

gaminggeek

Yes! Please Nintendo, let Intelligent Systems make a great Paper Mario RPG on the Wii.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts
I always forget which region I'm in. I'm in the US, so do I get NTSC?
Darth_Homer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#17 Darth_Homer
Member since 2004 • 5779 Posts
Talk about ironic. We wait a stupidly long wait for the game unnecessarily, and it comes with a fatal bug? Lame.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gaminggeek
So I'm going to try and work my way past this bug today. I hear you can just get the key and find the door to merle. Need some help from you guys. In the last door, first floor with the spikes, I flip dimensions, jump on the spikes, then what?
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Sorry if you expected an answer, GG. I just wanted to add my dismay at Nintendo's QA. This is a pretty big bug if it's as frequent as it sounds.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gaminggeek
OK just got past the bug. Get the key from the top right hand room (go 3d, jump on spikes) then go past the monster on the ground floor. Nice.
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#21 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Uh oh, high-pitched tone is death. That's a logical error in the game and repeatable, from my experience. I've gotten that in All-star Baseball 2004 when I broke the season mode, and NHL Hitz 20-03 with a weird overwriting glitch that combines the overwritten file with the new file.
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
GG finally gets Super Paper Mario! Its a great game I just got caught up playing too much other stuff and only made it to 2-1 or something like that, I plan to go back and finish it soon though.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SteelAttack

GG finally gets buggy Super Paper Mario! Its a great game I just got caught up playing too much other stuff and only made it to 2-1 or something like that, I plan to go back and finish it soon though.GodModeEnabled

Fixed.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gaminggeek

GG finally gets Super Paper Mario! Its a great game I just got caught up playing too much other stuff and only made it to 2-1 or something like that, I plan to go back and finish it soon though.GodModeEnabled

Yeah its weird though, I keep expecting to be able to play it in a platfoming sty-le but its just like the rpg ones. I got to this pixellated level then went down into the clas-sic mario caves with the music, you know the one. Ahh the nostalgias kicked in. And there are these arcade games to play, hidden in the bar down this pipe and they're really fun too. I don't like all this popping in and out of doors though it disorientates me. I prefer a logical left to right progression.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SteelAttack

Gravedigger strikes again! Just like bigmouth. :P

Accordingly to CVG, Nintendo lets you know how can you avoid the gg-cursed glitch of doom that causes the game to crash.

If you just don't want a broken, glitchy game, a replacement procedure will be announced. Soon.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 gaminggeek

Ah it's allright, it's a piece of piss once you know what you're doing. Just get the key and ignore that annoying maid.

The game gets so much better, I just did this space faring level, then met these craggy cavemen. It gets deeper and more like the rpgs the further you go in. It's shorter than the other games though by quite some margin.