Super Hard Decision: Need More Opinions.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
So I'm the kinda guy that must have all the next gen consoles because I love my games. Problem is, Halo 3 killed my 360. Thats right, while I was playing around trying to get the IWHBYD skull my 360 flat out died on me. It scoffed at my futile attempts and put me out of my misery....very rudely. As I attempt to call the repair center they told me, "Theres a good chance that it might be your power supply, so please check with a working one." "Well buggers", I said, "I don't have an extra PSU just lyin around". Well too bad, without me testing it they refuse to fix it. So here I am caught in a catch 22 and I have only one recourse left; Trade in my PS3 for a brand new 360. What would you do?
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Well, the first thing I'd do is try calling back to see if you get a different response from a different person. Trading in your PS3 seems drastic and unreasonable to have to do. If you have no option, I'd have to say just say that you did try it and it didn't work. Microsoft is out of line here--if it might be your power source, they should replace it, not expect you to somehow have another one.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

I've heard they sell the power supply separately but I think its very expensive. Don't even try trading your PS3, MS doesn't deserve it. By any chance you have a friend or neighbor with a 360 so he could lent you his while you're with MS reps on the phone? In the end if it indeed is your power supply then you'll have to buy another one.

In the worst case scenario buy one PSU,if this doesn't fix your problem might as well return it to the store saying it isn't working (you'll probably get a new one) sellit on Ebay, you'll lose somemoney and its a hassle but its better than trading your PS3.

Try calling again, you'll probably get lucky.

Clan_Crushbone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Clan_Crushbone
Member since 2007 • 1501 Posts
Id recommend calling up Microsoft, hoping you get a different individual on the other line. Then proceed to **** and complain until they decide to fix it for you. Companies would much rather bite the bullet sort of speak rather than have to deal with a raging customer, and potentially lose that customer. Bad news always spreads faster than good news, so having bad word of mouth about the customer support or the company in general could hurt far more in the long run than the price it would be just to deal with the situation. Atleast thats what works for me. You would be surprised how much free crap they give you to make you happy (depending on the situation and the company of course)
GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GulliverJr
Member since 2005 • 552 Posts

I am not sure how effective the irate customer routine will work on the XBox 360 Customer Service Center. I've written volumes on my experiences over the past year with my 360, and particularly my experiences in February when they tried to tell me I did not have an extended warranty. The so-called Escalation Team proved useless, as well.

In the end, I traded in my 360 Premium system, and bought a 360 Elite along with the in-store warranty, simply so I would never have to deal with a Microsoft XBox service rep again.

While they did give me a couple of free items, when I tallied up the number of hours I'd expended chasing and fighting with them, and then multiplied that by how much I take home, in cash, for one hour of work, it in no way made up for the time.

I would not trade in my PS3; of the three consoles I have from this generation, it has proven the most reliable. Maybe someday there will even be some really great games for it.

There should be an easy way to check the integrity of your power supply by checking the indicator light on the transformer "brick". If it is green, your power supply should be good. If it is orange or any other color, there is a problem.

What I would challenge Microsoft about is that buying a new power supply may not fix the problem, and if the new PS goes bad during their attemtp to foist troubleshooting duties on you, then what?

I agree that the best recourse is to see if you can find one to borrow and optest it. If anything I would just play my other consoles for a month or two while I saved up the money to buy a new 360 and an in-store warranty.

- Vr/GulliverJR.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
Do not waste your time selling your PS3. the day will come when you want some PS3 games but you won't have the console to play them on. One idea is that you could ask a game store manager if they have a spare PSU out the back that you could test your 360 with. Explain your situation first of course and maybe even have the console with you so they can do it straight away. It's worth a try :?
iMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 iMuffins
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts
Call them back and tell them you tested it with a different PSU, even if you didn't.