This topic is locked from further discussion.

AKS_74U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 AKS_74U
Member since 2005 • 1841 Posts

Ey...
I have a fairly decent PC...
BFG 7900GT
3 gigs Ram
x2 4200+
480 watt psu

I was thinking about getting a PS3/Xbox 360....I know that most of your here are PC gamers.. But honestly, are the consoles worth it? If I were to get one it would be setup right beside my computer and hooked up to my monitor..If I got a ps3..a game and a vga cable do you think it would cost alot of $? Do you think I should get a console? I mostly play Fps'es and 3rd person shooters..And honestly, arent the systems kinda like a PC? Can you search the net with them? I also heard that you can hook up a KB/M......
The main thing that interests me is that they seem like they are very unique...I want an opinion, should I get a console? Or should I jsut stick with my PC and upgrade when needed?
(Also, gaming isint my life, Im either gonna get a console and stop upgrading my PC, or just stick with PC altogether)..whats your take on it?

(And Yes, I did post something KINDA similar to this a very long time ago)

Avatar image for TitusAndronicus
TitusAndronicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 TitusAndronicus
Member since 2004 • 978 Posts

You're asking some pretty good questions, and I'll address a few of them.

-Price: Buying a PS3 or an Xbox 360 is going to be pricey no matter which way you slice it. Laying down that kind of cash on a gaming machine is something you have to seriously think about, which it appears you are. However, given that keeping up with the PC gaming world can cost an arm and a leg if you continually upgrade (or buy a new rig every few years like me). So basically, it's a matter of what's in your budget. Games for the consoles tend to run a little more expensive than their PC brethren. That's also something to think about. If you're interested in things like Xbox Live Arcade, that'll cost even more. You'll also probably want some extra controllers or other peripherals (not necessary, but nice). Again, more dough. All things considered, you can expect to spend around 500-600 dollars on a console at the start.

-Internet browsing: Can't speak for the PS3, but I know it's not possible on the 360 - yet. There may be upgrades in the future where this becomes a possibility.

Hope this helps. If you have any other major questions, don't hesitate to ask.

AKS_74U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AKS_74U

Thanks for the response!!

Yeah, I realize the games for the consoles will be more expensive. I live in Canada, with taxes on a 69.99$ game it would come to 78$...Expensive....

BTW, My monitor has a VGA cable input...I would get the 360..The ps3 doesent have a VGA cable I belive...If you come to think about it..Console gaming is expensive..Online for xbox, games, the console, Controllers..all that..I jsut have one question...You know games online games for the consoles? Do they support as many players per game compared to the PC? I always thought that the online games for Consoles are smaller....In the end I think im gonna stick with the PC

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts

I think I can shed some light here, I own both a PS3 and a 360 plus a nice PC. Here are a few things to consider, what types of games are you looking for you? You said FPS and Third Person shooters, answer xbox 360. PC's will always be best for these types of games IMO. But 360 is the next best thing along with having games only 360 gets, you also get a lot of PC games that are only on 360 and the pc, in some cases they play as well or better than the pc counterpart. Check out the review scores for R6 Vegas and Ghost Recon AWF on PC and 360 seeing that a lot and I mean a good deal of the people who play, like the 360 version best.

PS3 is a nice movie player, has some game potential, I just got Heavenly Sword, and Warhawk both good games. It does not have the type of games you mention yet, it will, butI don't see it getting up to 360 level as far as FPS games, but it will have its own appeal. Bottom line if your looking to play games now, and for the recent future out of a great library 360 100%. If your looking for other things than gaming or movies /TV maybe check out something else {PS3, new PC parts}.

As far as gaming 360 has it nailed, xbox live is an amazing service for only 50 bones a year. Best most beautiful games ever in less than 2 years. Market place is amazing with 90% of all games getting a demo before release, all kinds of free stuff, easy to use interface. Movies,music,movie trailers in HD!The hardware you ask? Yeah its not so great, but I think they really are getting fixed up.

CADMAN_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#5 CADMAN_3
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts
It sounds like you have a lot of doubt about what to do. I would stick with the PC since gaming isn't your life. You'll spend just as much for your PC up grades as you would say if you bought a 360 and some games, if not more. But at the same time there is no reason why you couldn't enjoy both. I myself have a laptop that I play games on along with a PS2, Xbox, GameCube and PSP. Soon I'll add the 360 and PS3 to my collection.
AKS_74U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AKS_74U

Thanks you so much man. You nailed it down for me...

I got some info...Take a look at this man...

http://www.factorydirect.ca/catalog/product_spec.php?pcode=XB3601

This is a store near my home,Its refurbished..My buddy bought a refurbished one..It works just fine...All I would need is a VGA cable and Im set..Im not sure about it yet though..The games are kinda expensive..

AKS_74U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AKS_74U
But wait..I also have a Ps2 with a TON of games..I donno how im gonna get rid of em...
AKS_74U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AKS_74U
Thats True Cadman..Im not sure..It will cost alot of dough...mhmm...meh, id rather spend the $ on Paintball lmao
CADMAN_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 CADMAN_3
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts
Hey dude, spend the money on the paintball equip. & gear.
AKS_74U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AKS_74U
Yeah, Im a pretty serious Paintball, I got all the scenario gear already layed out :)
cos_vanquish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 cos_vanquish
Member since 2007 • 1143 Posts

If your life isn't gaming, I wouldn't really worry about spending the extra dough on a 360 or a PS3. Keep that money for upgrades for your PC and games to come. We are in the day in age where everything has to be multiplayer to actually have fun with it, because we've all come to that point on a single player game where it's just not fun anymore because nobody is there to share the experience with you. And even though Xbox Live is only $50 a year, that's still $400 you have to spend on the console, then $50+ on any games you want to play on the console then the $50 a year to play with other people online.

That's easily going to be over $600 and for that you can upgrade your PC where it will be able to handle any PC game for the next few years and buy a few games. And almost all PC games that can be played online are free multiplayer with the exception of big named MMO's.

IMHO stick with the PC, and if you ever do get into gaming a little more then you are now, then you can take the dive and purchase a 360. Just remember Microsoft makes the Xbox and Microsoft makes Windows, so almost everything that comes to the 360 is going to be released for the PC.

AKS_74U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AKS_74U

Thanks for the honest response.

Actaully, Im kinda getting out of gaming..I own a PS2 aswell and I used to purchase all kinds of games for it. And yeah, I added up all the things for the 360..It would be about 700$ and you gotta pay for online..and honestly, I dunno why I would pay for online, I already pay for my internet bill... enough for me..Im gonna stick with the PC