Stuff You Won't Do with Your PlayStation 4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Exiled_Paladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Exiled_Paladin
Member since 2013 • 69 Posts

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/31/stuff-you-wont-do-with-your-playstation-4

Sigh well im kind of disappointed......... why would they all of suddenly announce these things two weeks before launch you know? Why in the heck can we not stream our content through our consoles or have MP3 playback? Is this due to piracy issues? Also you have to buy another head set for your console because the other ones aren't supported..... sheesh.

Reasons being:

-No MP3 Playback

-No external memory allowed

-No streaming content through console

-No changing background of UI

-No changing profile picture other than Facebook connecting

-No older Bluetooth headsets/earpieces allowed (reason unknown)

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 0

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69345 Posts

Well people did ask for a game only console and they got what they asked for.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Im fine with all that.

It plays games? That's all I need.

Exiled_Paladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Exiled_Paladin
Member since 2013 • 69 Posts

Yeah well I would like to back up my console with an external hard drive just in case the hdd fails.

s_h_a_d_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5 s_h_a_d_o
Member since 2004 • 1317 Posts

@exiled_paladin said:

Why in the heck can we not stream our content through our consoles or have MP3 playback?

So that consumers are forced to use Sony's digital-distribution systems only, thereby increasing revenue.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Don't care.I buy a console to play games and nothing else.

I can do the rest on the pc better than a console would.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

The problem isn't just that this is a game focused machine that plays games well so I shouldn't care about the other features. The problem is that they have the capability of having other features but lock it behind a separate $50 paywall. It's a pure money grab.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@Pedro said:

Well people did ask for a game only console and they got what they asked for.

Indeed. The thing that bugs me the most is not being able to have custom backgrounds. Also OP should add that videos can only be uploaded to Facebook (unbelievable btw).

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

@marcheegsr said:

Im fine with all that.

It plays games? That's all I need.

Yep. Considering how *ahem* "one" company was going to **** us around on the ability to play games, I consider it a decent trade. I'll wear my headphones and be glad I can borrow games from my brother, and he from me. 'Sides, I never used the music feature on the 360 even though I initially thought I would, and themes and wallpaper just seemed like another way to try and cornhole people out of a few bucks. I like the simplicity -- give me a splash screen and light the fucking game up. Old school up in this bitch.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

It's a game machine. I don't need it to do anything else.

Maybe an option to boot to games start screen when powered up. That's about it. I hate having to press the X button twice just to load the damn game.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pedro

Reading these comments is rather entertaining.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17655 Posts

@Namgis said:

It's a game machine. I don't need it to do anything else.

Pretty much.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

I have my Playstation next to my PC. I plug a disc in and play games. If the PS4 can do this, I'm happy. I don't need a second PC, just want a game console. I never used to listen to my music on the NES or Sega, either.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@exiled_paladin: Also you have to buy another head set for your console because the other ones aren't supported

It does come with a headset, but I agree that it's kind of annoying that it doesn't just support headsets that worked on the PS3.

Everything else, don't really care about. I respect the fact that others might, but I personally just never used or wanted to use any of these features on my console. It just goes to show you how value-added has gone from a trend to an expectation.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

@Ish_basic said:

@exiled_paladin: Also you have to buy another head set for your console because the other ones aren't supported

It does come with a headset, but I agree that it's kind of annoying that it doesn't just support headsets that worked on the PS3.

Everything else, don't really care about. I respect the fact that others might, but I personally just never used or wanted to use any of these features on my console. It just goes to show you how value-added has gone from a trend to an expectation.

Neither Sony (or MS for that matter) support existing 'last gen' headsets at launch, but both are promising compatibility will be patched in down the line. Its also worth noting that neither is offering a new headset (though some 3rd parties are).

If money is an object (as it is for most of us) it makes sense to wait a bit rather than run out and spend another 100+ on a headset.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/10/25/ps4-will-support-bluetooth-headsets-after-a-post-launch-patch/

phoenix5352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 phoenix5352
Member since 2011 • 387 Posts

the biggest disappointment is about the external hard drive. now at least they should start bringing new versions with more hard drive space, because I don't think 500gb will be enough for the next gen games, it will be just as the 80gb on ps3

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@CarnageHeart said:

@Ish_basic said:

Neither Sony (or MS for that matter) support existing 'last gen' headsets at launch, but both are promising compatibility will be patched in down the line. Its also worth noting that neither is offering a new headset (though some 3rd parties are).

If money is an object (as it is for most of us) it makes sense to wait a bit rather than run out and spend another 100+ on a headset.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/10/25/ps4-will-support-bluetooth-headsets-after-a-post-launch-patch/

??? MS is including a headset with the console and Sony has their earbud thing. I feel like I misread your post because you quoted someone who said Sony is including a headset.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Quite a let down. I'll wait.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pedro

@dvader654 said:

Some of that stuff will be fixed later on like the YouTube sharing. But it still sucks. Let's not pretend this is all great.

Seems like pretending is fun.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Damn, thats a lot of stuff. Some of it is absolutely stupid like mp3 playback, pc content streaming and Bluetooth support. This shit was already in PS3, why is it so hard to put it in PS4? This is how the development should start. You port your existing features, then work on new stuff.

Though I have no doubt that half of this shit will be patched in. Rumors are already saying that DLNA and mp3 playback will be patched in.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

One software update will fix most if not all of that. The consoles were rushed out, and certain features took priority.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

@exiled_paladin said:

-No MP3 Playback - I've never, ever played a single MP3 or music CD on a console in my life.

-No external memory allowed - If there's enough storage, this doesn't affect me

-No streaming content through console - Doesn't affect me

-No changing background of UI - oh noes

-No changing profile picture other than Facebook connecting - oh noes

-No older Bluetooth headsets/earpieces allowed (reason unknown) - I've never, ever used a headset on a console in my life.

None of these things affect me. We're talking about a game console. Here are more things it doesn't do:

-Can't cook a perfect steak

-No microwaving function

-Can't help you file taxes

-It's very limited as a music instrument

-It's not portable

-It's not upgradable

If any of those are a problem to you, you're not looking for a game console.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

The single coolest feature on my xbox 360 was the ability to load up some tunes on a usb stick and replace whatever low budget BGM was in the game with honest-to-God rock music. Whether I'm leveling half of Venezuela, causing chaos in Panau or just lumping up some baddies in Gotham city, it was all better with Dio, Ozzy and Rob Halford backing me up.

I was already determined to throw my lot in with Xbox for the second time running. This has just reaffirmed my choice.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

@ReddestSkies said:

None of these things affect me. We're talking about a game console. Here are more things it doesn't do:

-No microwaving function

-It's not portable

-It's not upgradable

You are not the only one who is going to be buying a ps4. There are plenty of people who use the console as a streaming device, use custom soundtracks while playing racing games and paid $60 for their bluetooth headsets that wont work anymore.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

@El_Zo1212o said:

The single coolest feature on my xbox 360 was the ability to load up some tunes on a usb stick and replace whatever low budget BGM was in the game with honest-to-God rock music. Whether I'm leveling half of Venezuela, causing chaos in Panau or just lumping up some baddies in Gotham city, it was all better with Dio, Ozzy and Rob Halford backing me up.

I was already determined to throw my lot in with Xbox for the second time running. This has just reaffirmed my choice.

Sounds like you found your scape goat. Enjoy I guess.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 El_Zo1212o

@F1Lengend: What do you mean? The main reason I decided to stick with Xbox was because they had 180'd on the biggest gripes I had with their new policies. After all, what's the point of bitching about a policy if you still don't buy after they remove them?

Besides- I disliked my PS3 from the moment I was forced to install my very first game- Uncharted. That dislike deepend to utter loathing when I realized that I would have to suffer through a 45-80 minute installation for every new game I wanted to play. The only reason I was upset when it was stolen was because it was my most reliable Blu Ray player. That's no way to feel about a game console.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@ReddestSkies said:

-No microwaving function

-It's not portable

-It's not upgradable

Are you the only person the PS4 is being marketed towards? Is it standard for any gaming console to do any of the absurd things you listed? Then why make a list demonstrating mass arrogance? The fact is particularly simple; even for you to grasp, the PS3 had these missing functions and its an absolute shame that the PS4 doesn't have these features.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17655 Posts

@El_Zo1212o said:

@F1Lengend: What do you mean? The main reason I decided to stick with Xbox was because they had 180'd on the biggest gripes I had with their new policies. After all, what's the point of bitching about a policy if you still don't buy after they remove them?

Besides- I disliked my PS3 from the moment I was forced to install my very first game- Uncharted. That dislike deepend to utter loathing when I realized that I would have to suffer through a 45-80 minute installation for every new game I wanted to play. The only reason I was upset when it was stolen was because it was my most reliable Blu Ray player. That's no way to feel about a game console.

I don't trust MS. They feel the same and desire the same direction they had before they 180'd. IIRC, they even came out recently and said so. I'd be willing to bet in a few years we'll all be seeing polices that initially were what was presented at this past E3 (perhaps with a few minor differences). MS doesn't see anything wrong with what they tried, they only see that their approach was too abrupt and drastic.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro

Markos don't think for a second that Sony is not conjuring up ways to do the same.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

So long as "Play video games" isn't on that list, I'll be fucking great.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By El_Zo1212o

@bob_toeback: As long as Great's okay with it, then I guess whatever floats your boat...

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

You are not the only one who is going to be buying a ps4. There are plenty of people who use the console as a streaming device, use custom soundtracks while playing racing games and paid $60 for their bluetooth headsets that wont work anymore.

@Pedro said:

Are you the only person the PS4 is being marketed towards? Is it standard for any gaming console to do any of the absurd things you listed? Then why make a list demonstrating mass arrogance? The fact is particularly simple; even for you to grasp, the PS3 had these missing functions and its an absolute shame that the PS4 doesn't have these features.

A PS4 is a game console. It's not supposed to be customizable, and it's a closed device (so stuff like the headsets and gamepads not being compatible is to be expected, if only because they want you to buy new ones and, you know, give them your money). If you want a fully customizable, open device that is compatible with everything, it's not a console you're looking for; plug a PC to your TV. The PS4 is both a dedicated device and a closed device: it's going to be limited in features by design.

I would say that it's ludicrous to ask, as customers, for the console-maker to release it at the lowest price possible, AND to complain that the company is trying to make money elsewhere. "The PS3 had them!" is not a valid complain: this console launched at $500 and $600. When you factor inflation, in today's prices it's more like $550-$600 and $650-$700.

As for mass arrogance and not being able to grasp such seemingly simple things: lol.