Strange request...maybe not? Help me make hubby happy...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

angiembfl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 angiembfl
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hiya all! I hope this request does not sound too strange. My husband is a huge video gamer and we are prego (well I am) and he wants to name her after a video game character.

I was hoping that I could get some help from gamers on some name-worthy characters that we might have missed. I know there's a lot out there but it's hard to pick them off the top of your head and these names aren't exactly listed in baby name books. Please help! Many thanks in advance for all who respond! :)

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
Wow, can't believe people aren't already flooding this thread. Personally, I think it'd be fun to have a daughter named Zelda or Sylvanas. Good luck with the taunting at school, though.
razamataz45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 razamataz45
Member since 2003 • 98 Posts
Midna, Alyx (and it's more traditional, too), Sonya, Marle, Princess Toadstool (LoL), Samus, Rayne
Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

The thing with character names is that they're either really offbeat or very common. The offbeat ones I'd think twice about before stamping my child with, and the common ones won't stick out at all.

If your husband is a gamer, he probably already has a few female characters he likes. I'd recommend picking a name from there, it'll have more meaning.

However, here are a few common names: Lara (Croft), Joanna (Perfect Dark), Jill, Claire (Resident Evil), Jade (Beyond Food and Evil),

...and some off ones: Samus (Metroid), any from Final Fantasy 8 (Selphie is a cute name that may work in real life), Rayne (Bloodrayne, cool name), Zelda, Saria (Zelda), Alyx (Half-Life), Kaileena (Prince of Persia)

razamataz45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 razamataz45
Member since 2003 • 98 Posts

The thing with character names is that they're either really offbeat or very common. The offbeat ones I'd think twice about before stamping my child with, and the common ones won't stick out at all.

If your husband is a gamer, he probably already has a few female characters he likes. I'd recommend picking a name from there, it'll have more meaning.

However, here are a few common names: Lara (Croft), Joanna (Perfect Dark), Jill, Claire (Resident Evil), Jade (Beyond Food and Evil),

...and some off ones: Samus (Metroid), any from Final Fantasy 8 (Selphie is a cute name that may work in real life), Rayne (Bloodrayne, cool name), Zelda, Saria (Zelda), Alyx (Half-Life), Kaileena (Prince of Persia)

Grieverr

Aww. You're disagreeing with me on "Alyx." Spelling aside, I've seen plenty of women with the name.

kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

If it were me I'd want the name to sound somewhat normal to avoid the child getting picked on or having a name he/she hates the rest of their life. I like Kairi from Kingdom Hearts. It's a normal sounding name with a pretty twist. I'll add two more from WoW -- Tyrande and Jaina although Tyrande's a bit much.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

I think Kratos would be a good name.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#8 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

If I were to name my daughter after a game character, it would be either April (The Longest Journey) or Zoe (Dreamfall) - not only are they lovely names, but they're also the best characters in gaming, period.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58296 Posts

Go play Halfife 2 and Episodes 1 and 2.

After that, you will want to name your kid Alyx (if its a girl). Totally respectable name. Plus my roommates name was Alyx and she was a sweetheart, thats two for two for Alyx being a respectable name.

Of course, if I had a kid I would name it JC Denton or Engineer since ive been playing the crap out of TF2 and Deus Ex lately.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mrbojangles25
Congrats btw! When is he/she/it(?) due?
Arath_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Arath_1
Member since 2003 • 4688 Posts
No one posted Aeris (or Aerith, though the proper english spelling is obviously Aeris). It's something I dont think many people would make fun out of, it's got a great nostalgic touch to it, and it's just a damn fine name in my opinion. There have been some good reccomendations thus far.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mrbojangles25
if its a boy you should name him Kane. Then he can form a brotherhood of brainwashed followers and take over the poor parts of the world and overthrow the first world nations.
angiembfl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 angiembfl

Congrats btw! When is he/she/it(?) due?mrbojangles25

Thanks! Due on July 21st. We have a way to go but the whole naming process is so, I don't know, important yet exhausting that a thought an early start would be best.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

#14 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts
Your husband is a huge gamer you say? So he should know most good games right? Do you have a list you formulated yourself? People could fill in missing gaps and have other suggestions that way.
angiembfl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 angiembfl

Grieverr

He had a few picked out: Terra (Final Fantasy VI), Rinoa (Final Fantasy VIII), Kairi (Kingdom Hearts), Ayane (Dead or Alive?). But he's played so many and remembering them all would be impossible. We were hoping some of you could come up with ones he was forgetting. I like Claire, Jade, Alyx, and Kaileena. Thanks for your input!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="Grieverr"]

angiembfl

He had a few picked out: Terra (Final Fantasy VI), Rinoa (Final Fantasy VIII), Kairi (Kingdom Hearts), Ayane (Dead or Alive?). But he's played so many and remembering them all would be impossible. We were hoping some of you could come up with ones he was forgetting. I like Claire, Jade, Alyx, and Kaileena. Thanks for your input!

ya, I like those last four too. Those other ones are, idunno, a bit too flamboyant and obvious. You should have a name thats middle of the road: something from a game, but its also not so blatantly obvious that it makes your kid a bit of a standout. Let their personality make them unique, not their name. Just my opinion.

angiembfl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 angiembfl

Your husband is a huge gamer you say? So he should know most good games right? Do you have a list you formulated yourself? People could fill in missing gaps and have other suggestions that way.SemiMaster

Here are ones we were able to think of thus far:

Lara Croft, Tomb Raider series
Samus Aran, Metroid series
Princess Zelda, The Legend of Zelda series
Princess Daphne, Dragon's Lair
Alyx Vance, Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2 Episodes
Joanna Dark, Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark Zero
Rayne, BloodRayne 1 and 2
Meryl Silverburgh, Metal Gear Solid series
EVA, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
April Ryan, The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Zoe Castillo, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Jade, Beyond Good and Evil
Kate Walker, Syberia 1 and 2
Jill Valentine, Resident Evil series
Claire Redfield, Resident Evil series
Ada Wong, Resident Evil series
Cate Archer, No One Lives Forever 1 and 2
Sarah Kerrigan, StarCraft and StarCraft: Brood War
Victoria, Tribes: Vengeance
Julia, Tribes: Vengeance
Farah, The Prince of Persia series
Kaileena, The Prince of Persia series
Carla Valenti, Indigo Prophecy (a.k.a. Fahrenheit)
Aerith Gainsborough, Final Fantasy
Tifa Lockhart, Final Fantasy series
Rikku, Final Fantasy series
Yuna, Final Fantasy series
Paine, Final Fantasy X-2
Alexandra Roivas, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Jennifer Tate, Primal
Alice, American McGee's Alice
Mona Sax, Max Payne 1 and 2
Cortana, Halo series
Kitana, Mortal Kombat series
Nina Williams, Tekken series and Death By Degrees
Ivy, Soul Calibur series
Sophitia, Soul Calibur series
Taki, Soul Calibur series
Kasumi, DOA: Dead or Alive series
Tina Armstrong, DOA: Dead or Alive series
Annah, Planescape: Torment
Viktoria, Thief series
Elexis Sinclaire, SiN series
Rynn, Drakan 1 and 2
Grace Nakimura, Gabriel Knight trilogy
Jaheira, Baldur's Gate series

OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts
Katamari. i know its not a character, but still interesting. i doubt anyone would actually name their child this but i figured id toss it out.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#19 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

You own girl :o! Naming ur baby after a videogame character!

Well Farah means happiness in Arabic. I'd go with Farah...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mrbojangles25

[QUOTE="SemiMaster"]Your husband is a huge gamer you say? So he should know most good games right? Do you have a list you formulated yourself? People could fill in missing gaps and have other suggestions that way.angiembfl

Here are ones we were able to think of thus far:

Lara Croft, Tomb Raider series
Samus Aran, Metroid series
Princess Zelda, The Legend of Zelda series
Princess Daphne, Dragon's Lair
Alyx Vance, Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2 Episodes
Joanna Dark, Perfect Dark and Perfect Dark Zero
Rayne, BloodRayne 1 and 2
Meryl Silverburgh, Metal Gear Solid series
EVA, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
April Ryan, The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Zoe Castillo, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Jade, Beyond Good and Evil
Kate Walker, Syberia 1 and 2
Jill Valentine, Resident Evil series
Claire Redfield, Resident Evil series
Ada Wong, Resident Evil series
Cate Archer, No One Lives Forever 1 and 2
Sarah Kerrigan, StarCraft and StarCraft: Brood War
Victoria, Tribes: Vengeance
Julia, Tribes: Vengeance
Farah, The Prince of Persia series
Kaileena, The Prince of Persia series
Carla Valenti, Indigo Prophecy (a.k.a. Fahrenheit)
Aerith Gainsborough, Final Fantasy
Tifa Lockhart, Final Fantasy series
Rikku, Final Fantasy series
Yuna, Final Fantasy series
Paine, Final Fantasy X-2
Alexandra Roivas, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Jennifer Tate, Primal
Alice, American McGee's Alice
Mona Sax, Max Payne 1 and 2
Cortana, Halo series
Kitana, Mortal Kombat series
Nina Williams, Tekken series and Death By Degrees
Ivy, Soul Calibur series
Sophitia, Soul Calibur series
Taki, Soul Calibur series
Kasumi, DOA: Dead or Alive series
Tina Armstrong, DOA: Dead or Alive series
Annah, Planescape: Torment
Viktoria, Thief series
Elexis Sinclaire, SiN series
Rynn, Drakan 1 and 2
Grace Nakimura, Gabriel Knight trilogy
Jaheira, Baldur's Gate series

those are my personaly favorites underlined. Sorry, but some are just silly. You really considered naming your daughter Paine or Jaheira?

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts
I vote Aeris (or Aerith).
angiembfl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 angiembfl
[QUOTE="angiembfl"]

those are my personaly favorites underlined. Sorry, but some are just silly. You really considered naming your daughter Paine or Jaheira?

mrbojangles25

LOL! No, they're just ones we thought of. Trying to have fun with it. :)

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

Please, somebody has to think of the child here! Just don't do it! Put your foot down and say NO! Nobody wants to have a name from some lame video game. You might think it is wonderful and cute now, but wait until she has to apply for a job or something! Seriously, and if the kids at school ever figure out what she is named after, expect her to be made fun of for a very, very long time. All you are doing is making her life worse so that the father can think about how much that name pwns or something.

Then again, it is your kid and nobody will stop you from naming her whatever you want. Just please, if you are actually going to do it, make it a name that won't be instantly recognized as being from a video game. Then at least he gets his way and she isn't saddled with a name from a video game she probably won't even like.

angiembfl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 angiembfl

Please, somebody has to think of the child here! Just don't do it! Put your foot down and say NO! Nobody wants to have a name from some lame video game. You might think it is wonderful and cute now, but wait until she has to apply for a job or something! Seriously, and if the kids at school ever figure out what she is named after, expect her to be made fun of for a very, very long time. All you are doing is making her life worse so that the father can think about how much that name pwns or something.

Then again, it is your kid and nobody will stop you from naming her whatever you want. Just please, if you are actually going to do it, make it a name that won't be instantly recognized as being from a video game. Then at least he gets his way and she isn't saddled with a name from a video game she probably won't even like.

AtomicTangerine

First off, kids will be kids and sooner or later all of them will be teased about something. With that being said, I don't plan on naming her something completely out there and I'm sure my husband wouldn't really want that either. We would like to find something middle of the road. I am definitely keeping my child in mind. But any suggestions are welcome. An odd name could be changed into the form of a pretty normal name. For example, Alyx could be a nickname for Alexandra or Elexis could be nicknamed Lexi. Anyway, thanks for your opinion.

dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
if it's a girl, i thik Zelda would be a good name...for a guy; Dante, Tidus, Auron, Vergil, Chris...
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to name your kid after a character in a video game...that kid would be teased in school..
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27 Kazona
Member since 2003 • 1377 Posts
If I ever have kids I'll name the first one Solid Snake, the one after that Liquid Snake, and so on lol
MrNemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 MrNemesis
Member since 2004 • 3084 Posts
Meryl (Metal Gear Solid), sounds real (well it probably is a real name) but enough people will know where the name was from.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

Katamari. i know its not a character, but still interesting. i doubt anyone would actually name their child this but i figured id toss it out.OneWingedAngeI

That kid would spend the day rolling in his/her cradle, collecting pillows and milk bottles to increase his/her size. :P