Storytelling In Video Games - my final year Uni project.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CriticalCam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 CriticalCam
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I would love you guys to check this out and give me feedback to improve my piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v8oZw8MLXA

Yes I know it's a fairly straightforward discussion and I don't really bring anything new to the table, as it's aimed at my tutors who won't be as aware of what these games are about.

Thanks guys, I'm not trying to promote here, just discuss.

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

Lol promote

It's cool looks pleasing to eyes and honestly that's all that matters. You can say absolutely shit as long as you talk confident and look professional.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@notorious1234na said:

Lol promote

It's cool looks pleasing to eyes and honestly that's all that matters. You can say absolutely shit as long as you talk confident and look professional.

Don't listen to him. This was a well thought out video. Good job.

CriticalCam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CriticalCam

@mastermetal777@notorious1234na thanks for the feedback!

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#5 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Watch Extra Credits game channel about this. They are very knowledgeable. I liked your video, though.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@criticalcam said:

I would love you guys to check this out and give me feedback to improve my piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v8oZw8MLXA

Yes I know it's a fairly straightforward discussion and I don't really bring anything new to the table, as it's aimed at my tutors who won't be as aware of what these games are about.

Thanks guys, I'm not trying to promote here, just discuss.

Do you just want to discuss the content or also the presentation? You open your video with the questions: "What makes these stories so great? What makes them a necessary part of the overall gaming experience?" This might well be the result of personal interpretation, but based on those questions, the subsequent discussion is not what I expected. What I expected was a discussion about why narratives are important in videogames and why they work so well in videogames, as opposed (or compared) to other narrative driven media. You know, a discussion about interactivity, variable outcomes, actually being part of the story, agency, etc. The second question also made me expect some debate on why stories in videogames are important in the first place. Could we do without them or we do we always need some narrative outset, no matter how basic?

What I get, however, is a discussion of how narratives are implemented and executed in videogames, with only a few instances where you actually explain why stories are part of videogames and what it is that makes them work so well (when executed correctly). And some of these explanations (like providing proper backstory and, to a certain extent, creating a convincing and cohesive narrative space) can also be related to storytelling in general. They don't explain what sets videogames apart. Don't get me wrong, many of the answers to the opening questions seem implied when you discuss specific story implementations and how they relate to gameplay, but the opening questions do not seem to be the direct focus of the discussion. In my humble opinion, of course. ;-)

I don't know what the exact aim of your project was, but you could change the opening questions to something like "How are these stories implemented? What challenges do developers face when trying to incorporate stories in videogames?"

Avatar image for notorious1234na
Notorious1234NA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Notorious1234NA
Member since 2014 • 1917 Posts

See OP, above what he did the average professor or client wont give two shits about. This professor is obviously testing his presentation skills not the content.

For example, how do you think some of these investment bankers and financial advisers were able to make dubious investments? They sure as hell do have multiple presentations and house-calls throughout the year with their clients and senor executives. Well its simple. It's is all about presentation, confidence, and being able to express yourself clearly. Speaking IS not the same as writing and speech is a very powerful tool case in point look at Barrack Obama. As long as your thought process is congruent and you meet the viewers expectations, rest boils down to if you can get your message across and not bore the viewer. The first mistake people make with presentations in presentations is when they try to cram in everything they know, but truth is most viewers rather listen to you speak and look at pictures. A successful presentation entertains the viewer by actively engaging them which of course generates a response. If your vid does that then **** the rest. Worry about content when its time to write the paper.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 loafofgame
@notorious1234na said:

See OP, above what he did the average professor or client wont give two shits about. This professor is obviously testing his presentation skills not the content.

Even if it's just about presentation, there's something to be said for relating your opening questions to the discussion that follows. If a professor doesn't even notice that direct questions were asked, but not directly answered (which I would say is a rather basic element of a standard presentation), then I would seriously question his/her judgement.

CriticalCam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CriticalCam

@loafofgame: @notorious1234na@Shmiity thanks for the extra feedback.

I'll explain some stuff that I haven't already. The first 4 minutes or so of the video were shown to my tutor/professor and they pretty much said what I was doing was perfect for the project. And like i said, what I discuss isn't mind-blowing or original, I just needed to show I can openly talk about a topic and present well.

If i pursue this angle of Journalism later, ill try and build upon this with your suggestions :)

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 loafofgame
@criticalcam said:

I'll explain some stuff that I haven't already. The first 4 minutes or so of the video were shown to my tutor/professor and they pretty much said what I was doing was perfect for the project. And like i said, what I discuss isn't mind-blowing or original, I just needed to show I can openly talk about a topic and present well.

If i pursue this angle of Journalism later, ill try and build upon this with your suggestions :)

So you're studying journalism, then? And what is the project about? And if you've already got the approval of your tutor, what exactly do you need feedback on...? Sorry for all the questions; I'm just interested. :-)

CriticalCam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CriticalCam

@loafofgame: we were basically assigned to create a long form video on what we're interested in and show our viewpoint; I like video games so thats why I made this. I'm posting this here because I'm looking for more constructive feedback going forward in this field, rather than an academic assessment :) if that makes sense.

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 loafofgame

@criticalcam: I think so. I'd say your intonation, phrasing and personal presentation are good. You sound relaxed, reasonable and coherent. The only thing I noticed is that the very present drum sounds in the background music (the cymbals and snare drums) can be a bit distracting if the general volume is high, but that could also be because English is not my native language, so I have to concentrate a bit more when listening. I would maybe also change the music half way through or every segment, but I suppose that's also not really part of what you want feedback on. I'll stop now. ;-)

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts

It was very well done and I actually watched the entire thing... which I can't say for many other youtube video's of similar length. I would suggest trying to interject some humor if you continue to make this type of video. An occasional chuckle goes a long way in holding a viewers interest.

CriticalCam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CriticalCam

@MuD3: that's what I'm aiming to bring in future videos. Because this was for Uni it was meant to look fairly professional :P

CriticalCam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CriticalCam

@loafofgame: thanks a lot for this :) this will be something I focus on in future content.