*SPOILERS*To anyone who has beaten Episode Two...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Myrkan
Member since 2004 • 1304 Posts

Ok, well first, great length for an episode, took me about 10 hours to beat, fun chapters, some new HUD enhancments and such. But god, the ending was a shock. *Spoiler Warning* (do not continue to read if you have not beaten Episode Two)

I remember the flash from the two combine (REAL Combine)and then getting held back against the wall. Eli gathered enough strength to grab a pipe and whack the Advisor across the face a couple times, but the only result was the Advisor's grasp of death. "I love you Alyx" he said disturbingly calmly. "Dont look!" The next thing you know the Combine is sucking out Eli's, well...I think you get the point. I was next, but DOG jumped on the second combine and tore him apart, the result was simply a big worm on the ground. And the credits rolled with Alyx holding her father and saying: "Dad, please...how could you die...dont leave me" (Roll Credits) Well, what did everyone else think? I thought it was a decent ending but also very, very disturbing, besides, the fact the Eli dies isnt very good. :| But other than that, it was interesting to see the Borealis with the Aperture Labs logo (The labs that Portal takes place in) While Kleiner talks about their relation to Black Mesa. Also how Eli mentioned the G-Man and such.

Note: I didnt intend to spoil anything for anyone, notice the *SPOILERS* warning in the title. ;)

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts
I was hoping for a lil teaser trailer for episode 3 after credits ors omething. The end part with the striders was intsense, very challenging with those damn hunters runnin around playing defense. I really enjoyed some of the music in this one. Kinda upbeat rock during intense moments. All I can say is I hate this part, cause I know I got a long wayt till the next one :(
Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Myrkan

Yes indeed, Episode Three will be GREAT. I also loved the strider parts, and when the three are all invading at once, the music that was playing was perfect. Lots of awesome moments in Episode Two. I hope they extend Episode Three to at least 15 hours. That way it will feel like a fitting end to Half Life. Just beat Portal as well *SPOILERS*I kind of felt bad for killing her, you know what I'm talking about if you have beaten it. And, OMG there WAS cake! ;) -I also liked the song at the end during the credits. Oh, and Team Fortess two is the best! This package is so much better than Halo 3 (like there was ever any doubt :) )

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 1005
Member since 2003 • 3738 Posts

Episode 2 was pretty amazing, dare i say better than HL2 itself!?!:shock:

I remember Valve stating that an important character in HL2 would die in Ep2 and after the teaser trailer everyone was like "omg Alyx is the person to die!" but i didn't think they'd kill her off since they put so much effort into her character in Ep1. However after that hunter burtally attacked her i was thinking "damn maybe she is the one that dies" since it would of made such an emotional impact on the player as she is the most developed character in the game in terms of personality etc.

Ofcourse as the game progressed i realised it wouldnt be Alyx that dies, as i progressed i started thinking of who it would be and suddenly it dawned on me. What about Barney? as i'm sure most of you will have noticed you don't see or hear his name mentioned once in the game, atleast i dont think you do. I figured perhaps we'll come across his body or encounter him and watch him die in a fight or something, but nope it never happened.

Then the fight between Dog and that strider happened and woah what a fight it was, Dog kicked that striders arse. But after the fight you see Dog lying there motionless for awhile and i thought, "yup this must be the character they'd kill off" but once again i was proved wrong when Dog awoke and was alright. So by this time i was thinking about who Valve had chosen and then the combine infiltrate White Forest base and i thought maybe its Dr Kleiner who is killed. And again i was proven wrong so i gave up thinking about who would be killed and settled on the fact Valve were just speculating to get the fans attention.

Now at White Forest i noticed that the moments between Alyx, Eli and Gordon were very personal and emotional. Eli making the little suggestions that he approves of Gordon should Gordon and Alyx go further than friends and the loving/caring moments Eli and Alyx shared aswell. Thats when i realised who it was that died and when it happened i found myself stunned. The way in which Eli was killed and the dialogue during it really made an emotional impact, never before in a game have i felt myself moved by the death of a character. It truly was one of the best scripted death scene in a game i have ever witnessed, it made the player feel genuine remorse, shock and panic at seeing it.

On a side note i have to say i'm frustrated now that we'll probably have to wait another year for Episode3 to continue/finish the storyline. That being said Valve may release Episode3 sooner than we expect if they don't have any other games on the drawing board at the moment.

Also i think i may have figured out something about the G-Man from Episode2 and Portal concerning who/what he is.

Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Myrkan
You think you know who the G-Man might be? Post it here! Or send me a message, I want to hear what it is! Oh yeah, and remember in the first Half Life, the microwave accident? I love it when the new scientist is talking about it :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 1005
Well see in Portal when you start the first test that involves turrets? well GlaDus mentions the test you should be doing is unavailable and so she has you doing the one with the turrets. Which she then states is usually only mean't for androids, now look at Episode2 when you have that moment with the G-Man talking and his speech is similar to GlaDus's and he also is sitting at a desk similar in style to Aperture Science. My theory is that the G-Man is perhaps an android since his speech is disjointed like GlaDus's and he always refers to the fact he is working for someone but refers to them only as his employers. The speech problem and the way he acts and mentions his employers makes me think he is an android employed by some as of yet unknown faction involved in the HalfLife universe.
Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Myrkan
The Borealis has the Aperture Sciene logo. I remember in Episode Two and in Portal, seeing and hearing things about Aperture trying to increase their funding for their projects. Hmm, maybe it has something to do with that, but it seems kind of silly...Obviously there is something bigger in play thats causing all of this. I can tellthe G-Man has somethingto dowith Eli's death. Now, if the G-Manis in fact working for Aperture, then he is obviouslythe one who broughtin the bad crystal to mess up theexperiment. Now, what about his seeminglygodlypowers?Wheredid all of this come from? I'm thinking that all of theportaltestsubjects had something to do with developing the G-Man to have a role in all of this. Hmm...God, theres so much depthto this game, it feelslike they needto have upto at least 10 episodes just to get all of thestory out that we are desperate to hear!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 1005

My reasoning as to why the G-Man is an android is because he acts like one through body language and speech aswell as the fact he doesn't age between HL and HL2 or so it seems. Also he is pretty submissive to his employers, carrying out what they ask of him and using "subjects" like Gordon to complete various tasks that his employers have given him. As for his powers it may be a combination of things, being an adroid and considering the portal technology Aperture had/has its possible he uses a variation of it. Another thing is in Portal at the start if you look at the "bed" in the relaxation chamber you'll notice it looks more like some stasis/life support bed than a normal one. Could this be what he uses to keep his "subjects" in stasis for so long without them ageing?

As for who the G-Man's employers are, well i have a feeling we probably already have heard them mentioned somewhere throughout the game series. Or they could possibly be an as of yet unknown faction that is involved in the HalfLife universe, this is the most likely explanation.

However i do agree with you that there is so much depth to the HalfLife2 storyline and Valve has a habit of answering a few questions players have about the games plot, while also throwing in a bunch of new ones by revealing certain information. A big one from Episode2 is why Eli and Alyx haven't mentioned the G-Man since they encountered him or why no one has questioned Gordon about his visual appearance. And by this i mean the fact that Gordon was in his mid to late twenties in HalfLife and around 20 years later in HalfLife2 he hasn't aged while everyone else has.

So many question, not enough answers and so long to wait for the next installment of the HL2 series. Now i know what a drug addict feels like lol

EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts

[spoiler] One thing that bothers me is they said that Gordons story wraps up in episode three and there is still so much we don't know. I also want to see more into the Gman wanting Alyx. He wants Gordon to protect her. Will she be chambered in the time stasis like Gordon and Shephard? The tie in with Portal was interesting and the back story to AS is very funny. Portal shower curtains FTW. The ship has me concerned. What horror is on that ship that Eli didn't get to tell us about and wants us to destroy? No preview either. Valve left us hanging and I doubt they will tell us anything for a while. [/spoiler]

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 1005
I think Episode 3 will be the end of Gordon's chapter in the HalfLife universe and any games related to this universe will follow another character. Already there is two possibilities, Adrian Shepherd and the Portal character (dunno her name) who have potential to continue on the story or perhaps start a new one?

However i dont think Valve will go with the Adrian Shepherd choice as its been awhile since OpposingForce was released and we've heard no information about Adrian Shepherd yet. Where as with the Portal character there is rumour she will appear in Episode 3.

As for Episode 3 i hope they make it longer, 8-10 hours, so there is time for the plot to be revealed and come to a conclusion without it feeling rushed. Because there is so many questions to be answered still concerning the HalfLife2 story.

There is an article up on CVG about an interview with Gabe Newell (i made a topic about it) where he stated after Episode3 is released Valve are going to leave it to the fans to decide how Valve should continue releasing their games, IE continue episodic release or full game releases. And i'm sure at some point in the interview he hinted that there will be more games released set in the HalfLife universe after Episode 3. So perhaps we wont see the last of Gordon Freeman in Episode 3, perhaps it'll be the conclusion of his fight to rid Earth of the combine. I just hate the waiting period now between games, having played Episode 2 i really want an Episode 3 ASAP lol...even a video would be good for me!

Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Myrkan

Definately, they should release a video soon. But I really hope, since its the final chapter in the Half Life universe (or maybe just this fight like you said) that they focus just on this, just one game, so we can get Episode Three in a shorter timespan than it took for Episode Two.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19565 Posts

My reasoning as to why the G-Man is an android is because he acts like one through body language and speech aswell as the fact he doesn't age between HL and HL2 or so it seems.

Also, he appears to have some degree of control over electronics (appearing on computer monitors, etc.)...and in Half-Life Source, he definitely doesn't seem human if you attack him (almost as if he was made out of ceramics).

Then again, that doesn't exactly explain how the Gman is able to enter the 'vortessence', which I guess is some kind of mental realm. Perhaps the 'android' part of the Gman is just a host body for another entity?

The ship has me concerned. What horror is on that ship that Eli didn't get to tell us about and wants us to destroy? No preview either. Valve left us hanging and I doubt they will tell us anything for a while.

EndersAres

Lots of stalkers, in the original design. It definitely looks like they've changed things, though. The Borealis is now tied to Aperture Science labs, which can only mean one thing - there's portal technology on board. Of course, that also means that just about any interdimensional being could be on board that ship...and the Combine will be there, too, according to Mossman's message.

I was stunned by the ending. Absolutely brilliant, in a rather depressing way (although I knew something very bad was going to happen as soon as that rocket launched - they couldn't end the episode on a happy note!).

Anyway, they finally gave us some info on the Gman, which was great - he's responsible for the resonance cascade! That could make him an employee of Aperture Science labs - those two labs were rivals in the race to master portal technology, so it would make sense that he sabotaged their lab (and detonated the nuke that wiped out Black Mesa).
...then again, he's specifically called an 'interdimensional beureaucrat'...and he seems to deal in mercenaries/host bodies...so I'm not too sure.

Also, what was the purpose of the Gman's message? He could have delivered it in person, but instead he chose to compel Alyx to say it. I don't think that the Gman was involved in Eli's death - why deliver a message to a guy if he knows that the guy will die before anything happens?
I'm guessing that it was a warning - avoid the Borealis at all costs. It might cause another resonance cascade, it might bring something worse, it might be the Gman's lair...but whatever's on board, the Gman didn't want Eli to tamper with it. Or maybe he did...I dunno. :P

Clever use of the Borealis, too, although it was disappointing that the Antlion King didn't make an appearance.

Now, where the hell had Barney wandered off to? Is he with Mossman? Or has he gone undercover once more?

EndersAres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 EndersAres
Member since 2005 • 5711 Posts

Also, what was the purpose of the Gman's message? He could have delivered it in person, but instead he chose to compel Alyx to say it.Planeforger

This also has me interested. Eli said Gordon said the same thing before the Black Mesa incident. The concept art for Ep3 has me wondering that maybe the ship can open a portal to the combine home-world. Possibly one way. They do have the key code of course. It could be even a portal weapon. Starting to think that Gordon might not make it back this time. Also Gabe did say last year on Hl2.net that they would eventually think up something with Shephard. Can't wait for more. Why is the Gman trying to stop the combine? Who paid him too? This has been brought up before that Gordons work goes to the highest bidder.

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Morphic
Is episode 3 supposed to be the last of the episodes? If so then they reallly should make it really long and and end things right. Also is the portal gun gonna be usable in it? Thatwould be for some interesting fighting if u can pop portals under convenants feet :P
Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Myrkan

Random Thought: Did anyone else feel bad for killing GlaDus at the end of portal? I mean, there *was* cake, it wasnt a lie, she invited your best friend, the companion cube. Oh well, at least the song was pretty. ;)

Oh, also, did anyone else remember when she spliced in a random sound byte of you recording your name during the boss fightand said: "That you! Thats how dumb you sound!" I laughed so hard at that one...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 1005

Is episode 3 supposed to be the last of the episodes? If so then they reallly should make it really long and and end things right. Also is the portal gun gonna be usable in it? Thatwould be for some interesting fighting if u can pop portals under convenants feet :PMorphic

Your a Halo player/fan i take it? because there is no Covenant in the HalfLife games, only combine mate :P!

And to answer your question about Episode3, i think it is meant to finish the HL2 story and any other HalfLife games after it will be about a new story, or they might not. It's hard to tell rumour from fact concerning Episode3 at the moment since there has been no real announcements about it other than it will be developed after Episode2.

Myrkan i did feel sorta badkilling GlaDus as she was one of the funniest and strange characters i've seen in a game lol. Her random comments and insults through the escape section and final battle of the game were really funny, especially when she would threaten to kill you then try to be your friend straight after lol.

DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
Awesome game is all I can say. I can always hand it to Valve for making the epitome of story driven gaming.
Myrkan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Myrkan
lol, yeah, I remember when she said to you while escaping: "Dont you remember what great fun we had? Remember when I was about to dump you into a pit of fire and you were like (random sound byte, deep voice) 'No way...' And I was like, 'ha ha, we were pretending that we were about to murder you! Wasnt that fun? Hello?"
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Episode 2 was pretty amazing, dare i say better than HL2 itself!?!:shock:1005

Easily... the pacing, the story, the gameplay, everything except length (which doesn't matter in the least) was better in EP2 then HL2. The story was superb... it all if finally coming together. The ending was superb. The end of EP1 made me kind of want to play EP2... but the end of EP2 makes me want to play EP3 RIGHT NOW!

EP2 is one of the finest examples of a quality first person shooter experience... one of the best in a long time.
Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Morphic

[QUOTE="Morphic"]Is episode 3 supposed to be the last of the episodes? If so then they reallly should make it really long and and end things right. Also is the portal gun gonna be usable in it? Thatwould be for some interesting fighting if u can pop portals under convenants feet :P1005

Your a Halo player/fan i take it? because there is no Covenant in the HalfLife games, only combine mate :P!

And to answer your question about Episode3, i think it is meant to finish the HL2 story and any other HalfLife games after it will be about a new story, or they might not. It's hard to tell rumour from fact concerning Episode3 at the moment since there has been no real announcements about it other than it will be developed after Episode2.

Myrkan i did feel sorta badkilling GlaDus as she was one of the funniest and strange characters i've seen in a game lol. Her random comments and insults through the escape section and final battle of the game were really funny, especially when she would threaten to kill you then try to be your friend straight after lol.

lol combine, covenant, so many C names! :P

kort-nilsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kort-nilsen
Member since 2004 • 1161 Posts

I just finished EP2, and damn it owns! I never cared to finish ep1 though, did anything significant hapen in ep1?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Planeforger

I just finished EP2, and damn it owns! I never cared to finish ep1 though, did anything significant hapen in ep1?

kort-nilsen

Nothing that you didn't see in the intro to Episode 2.
Barney and other rebels evacuated the city on trains, Alyx and Gordon didn't get out of the blast radius in time. That's about it.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

Yeah i had a feeling something bad was gonna happen. Can't wait to for episode 3 and see how everything (Who/what the G-man is and what he wants, the borealis and events in portal, how it all ends, etc.) come together.

*SPOILERS*I kind of felt bad for killing her, you know what I'm talking about if you have beaten it. And, OMG there WAS cake! ;)

Myrkan

if you listen to the end song then you know she's still alive (not sure if that makes me happy or angry)

My theory is that the G-Man is perhaps an android since his speech is disjointed like GlaDus's and he always refers to the fact he is working for someone but refers to them only as his employers. The speech problem and the way he acts and mentions his employers makes me think he is an android employed by some as of yet unknown faction involved in the HalfLife universe.1005

Well since that test had armed turrets I would think that it was for military androids, and the G-man is more sneaky and underhanded. My theory is that he is an alien (thus the odd speech pattern) working for a third party not yet revealed. The powers he exibitsseem beyond even the Combine, let alone human/aperture.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Planeforger

The powers he exibitsseem beyond even the Combine, let alone human/aperture.

capthavic

Then again, we've always joked/guessed that the Gman's briefcase was some kind of portal device...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 1005
One thing i hope Valve dont do to the HalfLife storyline is turn it into some dream/premonition of the future that Gordon has while he waits for the tram to reach the Sector C labs in Black Mesa. And leave the game to end with Gordon looking at the crystal and up at the G-Man standing in the control room. If they do that i may be arrested for petrol bombing the Valve HQ lol.