Sony teases "the future" of Playstation - countdown to 2/20/13

• 402 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#202 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
So the MM Home/miiverse is definetely going to be shown then. No chance for Tearaway since I doubt one second will be spent on Vita.dvader654
they'll be like "whats a vita?"
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#203 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
So the MM Home/miiverse is definetely going to be shown then. No chance for Tearaway since I doubt one second will be spent on Vita.dvader654
I always thought that Home needed to be scrapped in favor of something similar from MM. Home has no charm at all. If MM could do something along the lines of the personalized pods from LBP, but connected to something much bigger, I think it would be successful.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#204 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Both Media Molecule (LBP, Tearaway) and Evolution Studios (Motorstorm) are teasing new projects, with Evolution explicitly stating their project will be revealed on the 20th.

http://www.psu.com/a018259/Media-Molecule-hints-at-new-project

CarnageHeart

Nice. Although I'm not really into Motorstorm (assuming that is their next project), it'd be nice to see some games running on the system. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#205 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

Both Media Molecule (LBP, Tearaway) and Evolution Studios (Motorstorm) are teasing new projects, with Evolution explicitly stating their project will be revealed on the 20th.

Vari3ty

Nice. Although I'm not really into Motorstorm (assuming that is their next project), it'd be nice to see some games running on the system. 

Motorstorm is done. They are working on a new IP.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

dvader654

Which will probably be just like Motorstorm. :P

More like a cross between Motorstorm and Project Gotham Racing. :P Apparently after Bizzare Creations was shut down, a few developers went over to Evolution Studios and the rest formed a new studio. That new studio is now supposedly making PGR5 for Xbox 720 while the lead director is now at Evolution Studios making some incredible new arcade racer. I am expecting this game to drop more jaws than Killzone 4. 

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"]So the MM Home/miiverse is definetely going to be shown then. No chance for Tearaway since I doubt one second will be spent on Vita.rragnaar
I always thought that Home needed to be scrapped in favor of something similar from MM. Home has no charm at all. If MM could do something along the lines of the personalized pods from LBP, but connected to something much bigger, I think it would be successful.

Anyway, turns out the question mark has been on MM's site for a while now, but recent comments from the development team indicate that we will see the secret MM game soon.

http://www.psu.com/a018269/Media-Molecule-speaks-on-mystery-game--Theres-exciting-things-happening-in-the-studio-well-learn-more-soonish

I also posed the question to Level Designer Christophe Villedieu, and asked if we could expect to hear more about Media Molecule's mystery game in the coming months. As a knowing smile appeared on his face, Villedieu gave a vague-yet-intriguing response: Stay tuned, he said, as Media Molecule will have news to share "soonish".

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

Which will probably be just like Motorstorm. :P

More like a cross between Motorstorm and Project Gotham Racing. :P Apparently after Bizzare Creations was shut down, a few developers went over to Evolution Studios and the rest formed a new studio. That new studio is now supposedly making PGR5 for Xbox 720 while the lead director is now at Evolution Studios making some incredible new arcade racer. I am expecting this game to drop more jaws than Killzone 4. 

Wasnt it rumored that someone was working on a pgr equivalent for the ps4?? PGR is one of the games i actually do miss playing after ditching the 360 due to MANY breakdowns.

I really hope so, pgr is a great game.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 CarnageHeart

You might be wrong. A patent for a new model of the Vita with 4G and a HDMI port has been filed and VG leaks speculated it might be shown 2/20.

VG leaks also believes that a pricecut for the existing model is incoming (back in 2012 Sony stated the Vita would see a pricecut in 2013). Its too late for the Vita to garner meaningful support from retail developers in the West (not that Western developers are big on portables) but the Vita in Japan has a shot and was listed in a recent poll as the system the most respondents planned to buy (also in Japan the PSP still sells well and aside from Monster Hunter, the Vita has inherited a good chunk of the PSP's support).

So long as the US market is healthy enough to merit companies bring over games from Japan (I'd love to see a belated port of the brilliant looking PSP game Valkyria Chronicles 3 from Sega or someone like Atlus) and Sony's American and European branches make games like LBP, Tearaway (which I know will be awesome) and KZ (which I hope will be awesome) now and again, its all good.

http://www.vgleaks.com/rumor-new-psvita-model-arriving/

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#211 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

I'm hoping they mention at least one thing about Vita. A specific thing I'm hoping for. I REALLY hope they announce that every single PS4 game will be capable of remote play with the Vita. Every. Single. One. I hope they've designed the PS4 will that specifically in mind. If that happens I don't even give a crap if Vita sales and support picks up. Then it would literally be a handheld PS4, which would be glorious.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 rragnaar

VG247 has some rumors on the PS4 controller...

A VG247 source said today that PS4s rumoured controller touch-pad is real. The input is on the front of the handset. The Start and Select buttons have been moved as a result.

The controller is more or less the same shape as the current DualShock. Weve been told today that the L2 and R2 buttons have been remodelled for the better.

The existence of the touch-pad has been previously reported by Edge, but claims a Share button exists on the controller from the same report were debunked by our source today. Apparently it isnt there.

VG247

Sounds good to me.  One week to go.:)

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#213 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Good thing I have the day off to see this whole thing unravel from start to finish! :)

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#214 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

Link

That link is to show a picture of the mock pad of what it could look like now, based on what VG247 claimed on it. Looks interesting if it's true. But would most people accept it?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#215 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

Link

That link is to show a picture of the mock pad of what it could look like now, based on what VG247 claimed on it. Looks interesting if it's true. But would most people accept it?

Metamania
Disappointing if true as I never really cared for the analog stick placement for the PS controllers. I am interested in the touch pad though.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#216 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
i think it might be the ps4, but who knows
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Vari3ty

I'm still not really seeing the point of the touchpad. Seems like a feature that will rarely be used and probably end up making the controller cost more than it should. 

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 CarnageHeart

One week ahead of the PS4 announcement, Fumito Ueda has issued a statement confirming that the Last Guardian is still in development and that he is now planning out future projects. He also stated that the only reason more info about LG hasn't come out is that it is not his decision about when to release info, but Sony's.

the_last_guardian_wallpaper.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-13-fumito-ueda-issues-the-last-guardian-statement-ahead-of-sonys-playstation-4-event

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
^ That tells me the game won't be mentioned in the reveal. Like its his way of saying "just wait for E3 because TLG wont be at the reveal". Otherwise he would have just kept quiet since we are merely a week away.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 S0lidSnake

^ That tells me the game won't be mentioned in the reveal. Like its his way of saying "just wait for E3 because TLG wont be at the reveal". Otherwise he would have just kept quiet since we are merely a week away.F1Lengend

What a f*cking disaster this game's been. To think this game started development a full year before the PS3 came out. 8 f*cking years and still cant reveal it. 

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Vari3ty

[QUOTE="F1Lengend"]^ That tells me the game won't be mentioned in the reveal. Like its his way of saying "just wait for E3 because TLG wont be at the reveal". Otherwise he would have just kept quiet since we are merely a week away.S0lidSnake

What a f*cking disaster this game's been. To think this game started development a full year before the PS3 came out. 8 f*cking years and still cant reveal it. 

Holy crap. I knew it had been delayed a lot but I didn't know it had been in development for so long. 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 S0lidSnake

Playstation Meeting's DOs and DONTs. From Gametrailers. This was really entertaining, definitely a must watch.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/v202xq/playstation-4-playstation-meeting-dos-and-don-ts

The Reggie dig slayed me. :lol:

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#224 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Less than a week!!!! Team Ico is a mess, shut it down. Most overrated dev ever, they made two games one meh and one amazing. dvader654

Yeah. Shadow of the Colossus was the only good game they put out. ICO was... meh. It was pretty, but that's about it.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 S0lidSnake

lol I liked that video more than I thought I would. 

He's just the kind of personality gaming needs. Eccentric yet funny like Stephen Colbert or Jon Stewart.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Vari3ty

In one week this is us:

dvader654

Damn right. 

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#230 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
I think Playstation home should be brutally beat to death with a shovel, covered in lime, urinated on, set on fire, then buried. Easily one of the worst ideas this generation, A complete waste of time and money. On another note Last Guardian PS4 launch title maybe..... .... :P
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 GodModeEnabled
I believe Sony made quite a lot of money from Home.dvader654
Touche but Justin Bieber makes a lot of money too, does not mean I want to hear that cvnt on the radio though knoimsayindaawgtrolololololololo
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Less than a week!!!! Team Ico is a mess, shut it down. Most overrated dev ever, they made two games one meh and one amazing. c_rake

Yeah. Shadow of the Colossus was the only good game they put out. ICO was... meh. It was pretty, but that's about it.

Ico was amazing. If it were merely pretty it would have been forgotten already. There have been roughly 4,392,721,921,009,332 games in which ones rescues a princess. All those games start outside the castle and end when you get to her. As a companion, Yorda was quite different than the companions that normally accompanied players. She needed protection, but she wasn't just a walking objective. She was actively engaged in the world. When the player is trying to figure out what to do next, Yorda is exploring the world around her. She'd walking up to the edge of a waterfall and kind of lean back and forward in an attempt to survey the whole thing, she'd chase doves, if the player accidently detonate a bomb (which would knock the kid on his butt) she'd come running to see if he was okay.

Another thing that made Ico special was the sensible puzzles. At a time when keyhunting and box stacking were popular (and puzzles that strayed from those two mainstays tended to be obtuse) with Ico you knew when you entered a room the tools needed to solve it were in the room and that solving it involved logical thinking, not rubbing the blue fish and the green orb together in the right spot. That ran the risk of players walking into a room and immeditately figuring it out, but more often players had to put some time into it (sometimes I would examine an area, be stumped, then come back and recognize what I had overlooked).

Also, the castle was really impressive, massive and intricately constructed, but in ways that make sense. I dislike hiding behind the words of others, but Edge wrote such a great feature on the castle I'll quote them.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/places-icos-castle/

Given its function as both a prison and site of ritual child sacrifice, Icos castle is disarmingly picturesque. The setting achieves balance through contrasts; dank, moss-speckled chambers open out on sunlight-warmed courtyards. Its atmosphere teeters between comforting and oppressive, the familiar and the otherworldly. Still it remains one of the most coherent game spaces ever created: providing glimpses of areas already explored and others yet to be visited, the castles convincingly pragmatic architecture sets the imagination racing at what long-dead occupants may have used each area for. As game designers increasingly lean upon the narrative crutch of audio logs to deliver historical context, its refreshing to explore a world in which ghosts are conjured with the most subtle design touches.

Things that have a history just by themselves tell us so much about them from the damage and tarnish due to deterioration, the castles real-world architect, Team Ico creative director Fumito Ueda, tells us. Whats appealing about that is that it evokes imagination, I think. It makes you wonder what kind of history its got. I didnt want the player to think that these were levels created by designers. I wanted them to believe that beyond their screen was a castle that had existed for a very, very long time, which was built by someone they didnt know.

Its no accident that despite their modest commercial record, Team Ico is an influence many designers cite. *Shrugs* I agree they take too long to make games, but once the games are made, they are something special.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 CarnageHeart

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I think Playstation home should be brutally beat to death with a shovel, covered in lime, urinated on, set on fire, then buried. Easily one of the worst ideas this generation, A complete waste of time and money. On another note Last Guardian PS4 launch title maybe..... .... :Pdvader654
I believe Sony made quite a lot of money from Home.

Home is its own little community. Most gamers don't care about it, but those that do spend a lot of time and money there. If Sony wants to build a social network for the rest of us they should follow a different model though. However, I suspect such networks will always be niche because most people don't want to hang out on their consoles and discuss games, they want to play them. Talking about games is something we obsessives do when we are away from our consoles.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#235 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Ico was amazing. If it were merely pretty it would have been forgotten already. There have been roughly 4,392,721,921,009,332 games in which ones rescues a princess. All those games start outside the castle and end when you get to her. As a companion, Yorda was quite different than the companions that normally accompanied players. She needed protection, but she wasn't just a walking objective. She was actively engaged in the world. When the player is trying to figure out what to do next, Yorda is exploring the world around her. She'd walking up to the edge of a waterfall and kind of lean back and forward in an attempt to survey the whole thing, she'd chase doves, if the player accidently detonate a bomb (which would knock the kid on his butt) she'd come running to see if he was okay.

Another thing that made Ico special was the sensible puzzles. At a time when keyhunting and box stacking were popular (and puzzles that strayed from those two mainstays tended to be obtuse) with Ico you knew when you entered a room the tools needed to solve it were in the room and that solving it involved logical thinking, not rubbing the blue fish and the green orb together in the right spot. That ran the risk of players walking into a room and immeditately figuring it out, but more often players had to put some time into it (sometimes I would examine an area, be stumped, then come back and recognize what I had overlooked).

Also, the castle was really impressive, massive and intricately constructed, but in ways that make sense. I dislike hiding behind the words of others, but Edge wrote such a great feature on the castle I'll quote them.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/places-icos-castle/

Given its function as both a prison and site of ritual child sacrifice, Icos castle is disarmingly picturesque. The setting achieves balance through contrasts; dank, moss-speckled chambers open out on sunlight-warmed courtyards. Its atmosphere teeters between comforting and oppressive, the familiar and the otherworldly. Still it remains one of the most coherent game spaces ever created: providing glimpses of areas already explored and others yet to be visited, the castles convincingly pragmatic architecture sets the imagination racing at what long-dead occupants may have used each area for. As game designers increasingly lean upon the narrative crutch of audio logs to deliver historical context, its refreshing to explore a world in which ghosts are conjured with the most subtle design touches.

Things that have a history just by themselves tell us so much about them from the damage and tarnish due to deterioration, the castles real-world architect, Team Ico creative director Fumito Ueda, tells us. Whats appealing about that is that it evokes imagination, I think. It makes you wonder what kind of history its got. I didnt want the player to think that these were levels created by designers. I wanted them to believe that beyond their screen was a castle that had existed for a very, very long time, which was built by someone they didnt know.

Its no accident that despite their modest commercial record, Team Ico is an influence many designers cite. *Shrugs* I agree they take too long to make games, but once the games are made, they are something special.

CarnageHeart

For what it's worth, I was agreeing more with Dvader's assessment of their two games, not that the team itself is overrated. Difficult to make that call when they've only released two games.

I understand that Ico is loved, and I can appreciate it for what it does right. I just couldn't get past the lackluster platforming. The fixed camera angles never gave you enough info to know when you should be jumping. Nearly quit playing because of how far a a simple misplaced jump sent me. It was frustrating more than it was enchanting.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 rragnaar

Destructoid has a picture of what might be the PS4 controller.  It looks more like a prototype than a finished product to me, but that sure looks like what has been described.

awb4QeO.jpg

The sticks are ugly, and I'm not sure why it has a speaker.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 CarnageHeart

Destructoid has a picture of what might be the PS4 controller.  It looks more like a prototype than a finished product to me, but that sure looks like what has been described.

awb4QeO.jpg

rragnaar
I hope that's not the final design.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 S0lidSnake

God that thing is an obamanation!

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 GodModeEnabled
My god please move the sticks so that they are one on top on near the bottom, that is a way more comfortable and functional design than having them together on the bottom. The screen thing could turn out to be something neat..... controller kind of looks like ass though.

God that thing is an obamanation!

S0lidSnake
Did you purposely misspell "abomination" to "obamanation" as some kind of dig to Obama? If so how does that tie into this thread? I want to understand teh funnyz. Or is that an oops?
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#241 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I think Playstation home should be brutally beat to death with a shovel, covered in lime, urinated on, set on fire, then buried. Easily one of the worst ideas this generation, A complete waste of time and money. On another note Last Guardian PS4 launch title maybe..... .... :Pdvader654

You know, I never spent a minute in Home but from the safe distance I viewed it from, it looked like a fvcking cesspool.

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Shame-usBlackley

rragnaar

I don't know -- the sticks are fine with me, and I actually like the beefier profile. The mic is concerning, because it implies the potential for motion bullshlt, but if it's just used for voice commands and what have you I think it'll be pretty harmless. 

CastieI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 CastieI
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts
Team Ico has never made a good game. Ico is vapid, and Shadow of the Colossus has god awful controls. (no excuses, they are not "unique", they are just bad, but if you found a way to work around them then good for you)
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 rragnaar

[QUOTE="dvader654"][QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"]I think Playstation home should be brutally beat to death with a shovel, covered in lime, urinated on, set on fire, then buried. Easily one of the worst ideas this generation, A complete waste of time and money. On another note Last Guardian PS4 launch title maybe..... .... :PShame-usBlackley

You know, I never spent a minute in Home but from the safe distance I viewed it from, it looked like a fvcking cesspool.

I checked it out when it first launched. I wandered into one of the virtual theaters that was showing a trailer for some upcoming release. A guy sits down next to me and says "I'm masturbating right now." Cesspool is about right.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"] I believe Sony made quite a lot of money from Home.rragnaar

I checked it out when it first launched. I wandered into one of the virtual theaters that was showing a trailer for some upcoming release. A guy sits down next to me and says "I'm masturbating right now." Cesspool is about right.

You sure it wasn't GodMode? :P

But yeah all kidding aside, I have heard similar things from a lot of other people and just decided to keep my distance from it.

CastieI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 CastieI
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts
[QUOTE="rragnaar"] I checked it out when it first launched. I wandered into one of the virtual theaters that was showing a trailer for some upcoming release. A guy sits down next to me and says "I'm masturbating right now." Cesspool is about right.

Sorry about that, I have an impulse control issue.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Vari3ty

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]

awb4QeO.jpg

CarnageHeart

I hope that's not the final design.

Looks like an improvement to me. Sticks seem farther apart, handles like a bit more comfortable to hold than before... not sure why the mic is there but maybe that's something that will be removed for the final version. 

Overall I think it's a definite improvement. The Dualshock needed a little more bulk added to it. 

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 rragnaar
[QUOTE="CastieI"][QUOTE="rragnaar"] I checked it out when it first launched. I wandered into one of the virtual theaters that was showing a trailer for some upcoming release. A guy sits down next to me and says "I'm masturbating right now." Cesspool is about right.

Sorry about that, I have an impulse control issue.

These things happen.