Sony teases "the future" of Playstation - countdown to 2/20/13

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#101 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Ha! I won't be getting off of work, but I'll probably barge into my brother's office and tell him to pull the livestream up on his big monitor.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#102 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Ah, the advantages of being unemployed. Won't have to worry about missing the stream.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#103 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

It's on at 11PM in the UK. We don't even need to get out of work!

So who reckons GT6 will be a launch title and they'll show it and announce that at the conference? They've probably been working on it for some time so it might not be that ridiculous. Now THAT would be a system seller at launch.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 rragnaar

So who reckons GT6 will be a launch title and they'll show it and announce that at the conference? They've probably been working on it for some time so it might not be that ridiculous. Now THAT would be a system seller at launch.

burgeg
I wonder what they can get ready. I imagine that the 'premium' cars from GT5 are pretty much ready to be used in GT6, but they've got to update the rest of the cars, along with redoing their tracks to make them look nicer. I don't want 2D trees.:P By launch they will have had three years to get that together. That may be enough time for Polyphony, and it may not. If GT5 is anything to go by, I'd be surprised to see GT6 at the launch, but maybe there'll be a GT6: Prologue.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#105 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

rragnaar

I wonder what they can get ready. I imagine that the 'premium' cars from GT5 are pretty much ready to be used in GT6, but they've got to update the rest of the cars, along with redoing their tracks to make them look nicer. I don't want 2D trees.:P By launch they will have had three years to get that together. That may be enough time for Polyphony, and it may not. If GT5 is anything to go by, I'd be surprised to see GT6 at the launch, but maybe there'll be a GT6: Prologue.

GT4 took three years. I think learning the PS3 is what caused them issues. Hopefully, three years is enough for them on this very easy to build for platform. 

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 rragnaar
[QUOTE="dvader654"] So GT6 would be the game we thought GT5 would be?

Essentially.:lol:
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#108 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

burgeg

I would be very surprised if GT6 was even close to completion knowing Polyphony... wouldn't count on it be a launch title. 

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#109 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

Vari3ty

I would be very surprised if GT6 was even close to completion knowing Polyphony... wouldn't count on it be a launch title. 

I'd be super surprised if GT6 comes within the first two years of the system's life. Racers don't have the cachet that they did back when the series first launched, for starters. And Polyphony's attention to detail will take a long time to implement. Fine by me -- I'd like to see more Adventure games from Sony, perhaps even an RPG or three. 

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Vari3ty

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

Shame-usBlackley

I'd be super surprised if GT6 comes within the first two years of the system's life. Racers don't have the cachet that they did back when the series first launched, for starters. And Polyphony's attention to detail will take a long time to implement. Fine by me -- I'd like to see more Adventure games from Sony, perhaps even an RPG or three. 

An exclusive RPG would be fantastic. 

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 rragnaar
It's been rumored that Guerilla's next gen project is an RPG.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 S0lidSnake

It's been rumored that Guerilla's next gen project is an RPG.rragnaar

They better hire some good writers.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 c_rakestraw  Moderator

I'm glad to see this forum coming alive again.dvader654

Agreed. It's been long overdue.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#116 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts

Honestly, the 2D trees in GT5 are pretty damn nice at least for the new tracks like Nur and Spa. They create a very convincing image imo

JllGe.jpg?t=1359951427

I can see GT6 releasing in holiday 14, not sooner then that.  Honestly I'm really giddy for the new consoles, I feel like games are not going to take forever to come out and we will see some really cool stuff semi early.  I know that goes against logic and history but with the power and available RAM in these units (Allegedly!), they won't be fighting the systems so hard to squeeze out a decent image.  Open world RPGs wont be a b!tch to run now that we have more than 512 megs of RAM.  I'm very optimistic.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 S0lidSnake

I'm glad to see this forum coming alive again.

dvader654

This gen went on for far too long. We shouldve been doing this two years ago. These are two years of my life I will never get back... f*ck Sony and especially MS! Theie console was due in 2011. 

Anyway, heres another cIassic from gaf. I havent seen that forum this excited in years. 

iTiApmUR0g2zQ.gif

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 S0lidSnake

Honestly, the 2D trees in GT5 are pretty damn nice at least for the new tracks like Nur and Spa. They create a very convincing image imo

I can see GT6 releasing in holiday 14, not sooner then that.  Honestly I'm really giddy for the new consoles, I feel like games are not going to take forever to come out and we will see some really cool stuff semi early.  I know that goes against logic and history but with the power and available RAM in these units (Allegedly!), they won't be fighting the systems so hard to squeeze out a decent image.  Open world RPGs wont be a b!tch to run now that we have more than 512 megs of RAM.  I'm very optimistic.

F1Lengend

I dont care what anyone says. GT5 was at times the best looking game I've ever played. Doing the Nurburgingdingdong whatever track in rain and in hood cam is the most exhiliarting experience I've had with a racing game. Simply amazing.

Why does everyone think GT6 would take four years? They already have 250 premium cars. They already have the tracks. All they need to do is revamp the multiplayer, add 3D trees and 3D crowd, model 250 more premium cars and well that's it. Why would this take 4 years? Summer 2014 for sure. 

Besides, holiday 14 is Uncharted 4 and Sony Santa monica's new IP. :P :D

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#119 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]It's been rumored that Guerilla's next gen project is an RPG.S0lidSnake

Killzone has some of the worst writing and characters in a videogame.......ever. Fvcking ever. Love the multiplayer though.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

[QUOTE="rragnaar"]It's been rumored that Guerilla's next gen project is an RPG.GodModeEnabled

Killzone has some of the worst writing and characters in a videogame.......ever. Fvcking ever. Love the multiplayer though.

The sad thing is that their backstory of this world is very interesting. They have the entire history fleshed out on the website, and yet none of it made it into the games. 

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 F1Lengend

[QUOTE="F1Lengend"]

S0lidSnake

I dont care what anyone says. GT5 was at times the best looking game I've ever played. Doing the Nurburgingdingdong whatever track in rain and in hood cam is the most exhiliarting experience I've had with a racing game. Simply amazing.

Why does everyone think GT6 would take four years? They already have 250 premium cars. They already have the tracks. All they need to do is revamp the multiplayer, add 3D trees and 3D crowd, model 250 more premium cars and well that's it. Why would this take 4 years? Summer 2014 for sure. 

Besides, holiday 14 is Uncharted 4 and Sony Santa monica's new IP. :P :D

SSM never releases a game in the holidays. Boom, GT6 holiday 14! :P

Four years is a perfect amount of time since they have a new gen to sort the kinks out and upgrade their engine.  Plus, GT5 was supported well after release so in the consumers minds it doesnt feel like 4 years.  The car roster is going to be iffy.  There has been a bunch of new cars since 2010, including 2014/2015 concepts that PD should implement.  They don't want to have the bulk of their cars from past games/old and uninteresting models.  So there is a ton of ground to cover.  PD and gamers a like need to get over the "1000 car lists" in racing games, its just not feasible anymore.  Its time to dump the legacy cars and cherry pick the really good ones for upgrading.  No more 91 Celicas. 

Beyond the car models there is still a ton to do, like multiplayer expansion (clans, actual leaderboards), and a revamped career mode.  "Just" adding 250 cars and graphical improvements will leave people sour, plus PD doesn't roll like that.  Lets not forget re-recording all those cars for proper engine sounds and hopefully some form of dynamic damage modelling.  Man there is a ton of work to be done now that I think about it.

Holiday 16 confirmed.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 S0lidSnake

Holiday 16 confirmed.

F1Lengend

:lol: 

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 S0lidSnake

Rumors confimed to be true on gaf on two dueling racing games that could be launch titles for each system.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511850

Evolution Studios is now composed of some of the best racing developers in the industry with Ged Talbot at the helm.  If you played any of their games, especially Blur, you know these guys put in work.  Internally they are calling it Europes biggest racing game in a decade. 

The next exciting bit I found out about this new mystery racing game is that it will be shown on February 20th at Sonys Playstation event, along with another next gen shocker from Guerrilla Games.

ex-Bizarre and Criterion developers are working on a next generation PGR5 game for the next Xbox.  As you already may know, the ex-Bizarre developers formed Lucid games and are located in Liverpool.  They are taking the existing PGR code base and upgrading it for the next generation Xbox. 

dvader654

Game Bizarre Creations were working on before they got canned. Now half the team is at Evolution Studios, the other half making PGR5. I am scared to think what Evolution Studios is cooking up. Scared. 

ibd3atfXvQRsWc.gif

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

S0lidSnake

The sad thing is that their backstory of this world is very interesting. They have the entire history fleshed out on the website, and yet none of it made it into the games.

Its hard to imagine the KZ guys making an rpg but at least Sony is finally dipping its toe into the wrpg waters.

SulIy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 SulIy
Member since 2013 • 113 Posts
This talk of PGR makes me feel all warm inside. That game made the original Xbox worth owning to me, all by itself. Didn't like the second one much, but 3&4 were great, and deserved to be appreciated more than they actually were by gamers at large.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 S0lidSnake

Looks like the PS4 will retail for 40,000 yen in Japan which is around $428. Usually that means the PS4 will be a little cheaper stateside so $399 is what we'll be paying come November.

lol at everyone who just a year ago thought we would be paying $500-$600 as if Sony would make the same mistake twice. 

lol at me for thinking Sony would retail it for $299. :(

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 rragnaar

Asahi Shimbun, a major newspaper in Japan, is reporting that the PS4 will be over 40,000 yen, which is about $428 in US dollars.

The PlayStation 4 will launch this year for over 40,000 yen (about $428), according to a report in major Japanese daily the Asahi Shimbun. That's the first clear indication we've gotten on how much the new system might cost, and suggests that while Sony isn't pricing the PS4 too aggressively next to the likes of the Wii U, it may have learned its lesson from the shaky PlayStation 3 launch.

For comparison, upon release in 2006 the PS3 cost around 60,000 yen in its more expensive configuration, and $599 in the US. Meanwhile, the cheapest PS3 now costs 24,980 yen in Japan versus $269 in the US. Were the PS4 to launch at 40,000 yen in Japan, we'd expect an American price point of around $400 or more.

The Asahi Shimbun further corroborates things we've heard from other reports, such as a 2013 launch for the US and Japan no mention was made of Europe, suggesting the release there may well slip into 2014. Elsewhere, the report says that the PS4 controller will feature a touch pad and be "roughly the same shape" as the current Dual Shock 3. Finally, the Asahi Shimbun states in no uncertain terms that February 20th is the datewhen we'll hear all this information confirmed for real.

The Verge

$425 is an odd number for a console launch.  I bet Sony goes with $399 in the US.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 S0lidSnake

Looks like the PS4 will retail for 40,000 yen in Japan which is around $428. Usually that means the PS4 will be a little cheaper stateside so $399 is what we'll be paying come November.

lol at everyone who just a year ago thought we would be paying $500-$600 as if Sony would make the same mistake twice. 

lol at me for thinking Sony would retail it for $299. :(

Source:

http://www.asahi.com/business/update...302060568.html

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/6/396...shimbun-report

Quote:The PlayStation 4 will launch this year for over 40,000 yen (about $428), according to a report in major Japanese daily the Asahi Shimbun. That's the first clear indication we've gotten on pricing for the new system, and suggests that while Sony isn't pricing the PS4 too aggressively, it's learned its lesson from the shaky PlayStation 3 launch. For comparison, upon release in 2006 the PS3 cost around 60,000 yen in its more expensive configuration, and $599 in the US. Meanwhile, the cheapest PS3 now costs 24,980 yen in Japan versus $269 in the US. Were the PS4 to launch at 40,000 yen in Japan, we'd expect an American price of around $400 or more.

The Asahi Shimbun further corroborates things we've heard from other reports, such as a 2013 launch for the US and Japan no mention was made of Europe, suggesting the release there may well slip into 2014. Elsewhere, the report says that the PS4 controller will feature a touch pad and be "roughly the same shape" as the current Dual Shock 3. Finally, the Asahi Shimbun states in no uncertain terms that February 20th is the date when we'll hear all this information confirmed for real.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 S0lidSnake

Damn you ragnaar! Stupid gamespot decides to time out on me every few minutes. It's ridiculous.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 rragnaar

Damn you ragnaar! Stupid gamespot decides to time out on me every few minutes. It's ridiculous.

S0lidSnake
In your face sucka!
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 c_rakestraw  Moderator

lol at me for thinking Sony would retail it for $299. :(S0lidSnake

It could still happen through a second hardware SKU. Can't rule out that possibitity just yet.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#132 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts
$400 is a nice price I think. That's something I can certainly go for.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 rragnaar

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]lol at me for thinking Sony would retail it for $299. :(c_rake

It could still happen through a second hardware SKU. Can't rule out that possibitity just yet.

With inflation, I'd be really surprised if Sony ever launches at $299 ever again.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="c_rake"]

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]lol at me for thinking Sony would retail it for $299. :(rragnaar

With inflation, I'd be really surprised if Sony ever launches at $299 ever again.

The inflation didnt seem to affect the Vita price.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 c_rakestraw  Moderator

With inflation, I'd be really surprised if Sony ever launches at $299 ever again.rragnaar

Maybe so, but stranger things have happened.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Vari3ty

Never have played PGR. Is it an arcade or simulation series?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 CarnageHeart
Four hundred isn't great, but it isn't bad,
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 c_rakestraw  Moderator

Never have played PGR. Is it an arcade or simulation series?Vari3ty

I think it was supposed to be some sort of bridge between those two styles.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 F1Lengend
I paid $500 for the 360 at launch here in Canada. $400 is straight sex.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 rragnaar
I paid $600 for my 60gb, bought Resistance, Tony Hawk 8 and three sh*tty sixaxis controllers. I spent $870 on the PS3 launch. $400 sounds dreamy.:P
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#142 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

So far, so good. Now as long as they don't drive off the NOUSEDGAEMZ cliff with Microsoft, Sony has earned my money. $400 is what I was expecting.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 S0lidSnake

I paid $600 for my 60gb, bought Resistance, Tony Hawk 8 and three sh*tty sixaxis controllers. I spent $870 on the PS3 launch. $400 sounds dreamy.:Prragnaar

The NY state tax alone cost me another $60. I remember walking out with Resistance and a 60GB wondering why in the world did i just drop over $700 on this thing. 

Two years later, it got YLOD. Now it's sitting in my brother's basement collecting dust. I did got to play MGS4 on day 1 and that game alone was worth $600.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#144 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
$400 was what I was expecting anyways and don't really mind that pricepoint. I just hope it's not $500 for the version that has a wireless router and an actual hardrive or some stupid sh1t like that.
D3s7rUc71oN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 D3s7rUc71oN
Member since 2004 • 5180 Posts

$400 was what I was expecting anyways and don't really mind that pricepoint. I just hope it's not $500 for the version that has a wireless router and an actual hardrive or some stupid sh1t like that.GodModeEnabled

Heh I wouldn't be surprised :P  I'll buy it at launch @ $400 but I'm pretty sure the will be "deluxe" version. 

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#146 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

The gaf thread is amazing.

amvkxk.gif

S0lidSnake

O_O 

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#147 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts
$400 was what I was expecting anyways and don't really mind that pricepoint. I just hope it's not $500 for the version that has a wireless router and an actual hardrive or some stupid sh1t like that.GodModeEnabled
probably will i'm worried to say. if it's just extra harddrive space, then whatever. but yeah. also 400 bucks isn't that bad i think.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 burgeg

For comparison, how much does the Wii U cost is USD? I'm not American, so knowing the price of the Wii U in the US gives me a good idea of how the UK price will compare to that.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 CarnageHeart

For comparison, how much does the Wii U cost is USD? I'm not American, so knowing the price of the Wii U in the US gives me a good idea of how the UK price will compare to that.

burgeg
350 for the model with Nintendoland, 300 for the basic model.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 burgeg

[QUOTE="burgeg"]

CarnageHeart

350 for the model with Nintendoland, 300 for the basic model.

So I can assume the PS4 will launch at little over £300 then. I'm ok with this.