Sony sells SquareEnix shares. Loss of confidence?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

Sony Computer Entertainment has sold all of its 9.52 million shares in Square Enix Holdings to SMBC Nikko Securities Inc, for around 4.8 billion ($47 million).

One way to look at it is Square Enix's poor performance of late having shaken Sony's confidence in them.

Source

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Articuno76 said:

Sony Computer Entertainment has sold all of its 9.52 million shares in Square Enix Holdings to SMBC Nikko Securities Inc, for around 4.8 billion ($47 million).

One way to look at it is Square Enix's poor performance of late having shaken Sony's confidence in them.

Source

Sony needs money and with that small a share % its not like they would have had a major say in Square.

So i think its simply just a normal sale without any other motives than "hey we have these and they are worth a few bucks."

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Articuno76

^^ Yeah. Wholly possible given it happened out of the blue. Wasn't Sony in financial trouble? I wonder how the amount they make here compare to the hole they had to fill.

TBH it's not like what few shares Sony had were really giving them influence over Square Enix either way.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Articuno76

One thing I don't get though is 'why now'? Sony's financial troubles have been running for a while now, as has Square Enix's poor fortunes.

In fact Square Enix has actually been seeing a little recovery (according to the source). Sony selling the shares makes sense, but just as those shares start appreciating in value?

ObxChillin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ObxChillin
Member since 2012 • 180 Posts

wonder what Microsoft will do

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#6 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

Wonder what this is going to mean for Square Enix's future.

Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

@Lucky_Krystal: Well as long as we get Final Fantasy XV and a Kingdom Hearts out of it. I had a feeling things were bound to go downhill since Hironobu Sakaguchi left. But when one of the Eidos guys quit and left a statement saying Squeenix doesn't know what they're doing. Thats a nail in the coffin.

As a publisher they've been falling behind, limiting themselves to mostly the console market, and they couldve charged reasonable rates for the re-release, of their classics and mobile titles on various different platforms.

If they adopted a 'Valve Software, slightly more egalitarian approach to pushing software, and expansions, being not so intrusive with DRM and expanding their platforms and catalogs, and not trying to eat into Activision numbers with 'eidos and IO titles, but being unique, maybe things would've fared a little better for them.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Has Sony lost faith in Square-Enix?

Gannon27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9 Gannon27
Member since 2014 • 103 Posts

I hope this won't affect Bravely Second.

Avatar image for Master_Of_Fools
Master_Of_Fools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Master_Of_Fools
Member since 2009 • 1651 Posts

Hmm...

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

@Articuno76 said:

One thing I don't get though is 'why now'? Sony's financial troubles have been running for a while now, as has Square Enix's poor fortunes.

In fact Square Enix has actually been seeing a little recovery (according to the source). Sony selling the shares makes sense, but just as those shares start appreciating in value?

Squenix has a tough road ahead of it, but I suspect the sale has more to do with Sony's problems than it does with Sqeunix's.