Sony at GDC Morpheus VR.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Sony should be revealing its VR headset tonight at their GDC event. No live stream only blogs.

I will be on a plane checking in later so you guys figure out the links yourself.

#2 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@dvader654: VR is coming today! On a side note. Lead designer for Infamous: Second Son has left Sony.

#3 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

I still dont see how Sony can offer a true VR experience with the PS4. It's just not powerful enough.

That said, maybe we need an entry level product that can capture the imagination of the mass market. Oculus Rift with its insanely high spec requirements will never become mainstream.

#4 Edited by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: Oculus Rift has no spec requirements whatsoever. It's a piece of hardware, the software carries the requirements and they aren't that great.

Rendering a game in 3D has a very low performance hit, it is not the same on the micro level as rendering everything twice. It's why stuff like nVidia's 3D vision has such a low performance requirement.

Even the PS3 managed decent visuals in stereoscopic 3D, the PS4 can manage it too, talk of "insanely high spec requirements" is complete and total bollocks.

#5 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: Oculus Rift has no spec requirements whatsoever. It's a piece of hardware, the software carries the requirements and they aren't that great.

Rendering a game in 3D has a very low performance hit, it is not the same on the micro level as rendering everything twice. It's why stuff like nVidia's 3D vision has such a low performance requirement.

Even the PS3 managed decent visuals in stereoscopic 3D, the PS4 can manage it too, talk of "insanely high spec requirements" is complete and total bollocks.

Look at how terrible TitanFall performs on most PC hardware. Devs simply dont optimize their PC ports as is. Oculus Rift needs to render 1K at 60 fps TWICE. The PC hardware and the PS4 hardware needs to render that before the VR headset can do anything with it.

#6 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -
#7 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: As I already tried to point out to you this "Oculus Rift needs to render 1K at 60 fps TWICE" isn't remotely true.

First off the OR renders both images for the left and right eye at the same time on the same screen. That's one screen split down the middle at whatever resolution they wind up with (currently 1080p) that is not 120 fps, nor is it required to even render at 1080p at all. Second, even if it were, it doesn't require twice the processing power to spit out another frame with the camera slightly offset, all the assets are already in play and there are lots of techniques that further speed up the process, that is not how graphics processing works, see all of the examples of how stereoscopic 3D is already implemented without major performance hits. Again, you're talking nonsense.

#8 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Leave it to Sony to actually start letting people in at 8:30 when their presentation was supposed to start at 8:30.

#9 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Pictures of an object covered by a sheet! Here we go!!

#10 Posted by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

I'm not too keen on this announcement, Sony is doing well with the PS4 and while this may have a positive effect on sales (ie get people who weren't interested to buy one) it could also have negative long term consequences such as diverting attention away from games like the Kinect did.

I'd prefer Sony to stay the course and if sales dip then try and push this peripheral. Its not like the Move where they were trying to emulate Wiis success and boost sales, they are already killing it. It feels like an unnecessary risk.

#11 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Thats a giant helmet.

#12 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Game Changer.

#13 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -
#14 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

lol The Eurogamer blogger is killing me.

Just seen Guerilla's Herman Hulst, who is possibly the hottest man in the games industry.

The queue's moving as fast as a PS3 firmware update.

Geoff Keighley is standing behind me. Awkward.

#15 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

Thats a giant helmet.

Just the protective case the headset is in.

#16 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

There you go. Officially confirmed. Project Morpheus.

#17 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Just when you thought it couldn't look worse, Sony puts a giant glowing dildo on it. Hopefully the final product doesn't look like this.

#18 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

Just saw the VR headset. Looks good.

#19 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

when does the debate on how its better than oculus start?

and I expect developers in the audience to be writing code for this thing while the presentation is going on.

#20 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

They've been working with NASA.

They're working on a "Mars Demo" where it feels like you're actually standing on the red planet.

#21 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

They've been working with NASA.

They're working on a "Mars Demo" where it feels like you're actually standing on the red planet.

yeah but...

Oculus with Nasa

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/31/nasa-uses-kinect-and-oculus-rift-to-control-a-robotic-arm

#22 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

On one hand competing with the Occulus Rift for the tiny technogeek market is pointless in the near term.

On the other hand waiting until a technology is mass market and has been mastered by the competition before jumping in would be stupid.

I hope that Sony doesn't let this become a big distraction for its developers in the near term.

#23 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Specs Sony. Specs. All these buzzwords dont mean shit.

#24 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

There you go. 1080p display yay!

#25 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

Man Sony is just on fire. Geoff is saying devs tell him it is more impressive than the rift. They are getting rift "exclusives" already.

#26 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

Was hoping to see demo. However, I am patient and can wait.

#27 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

Man Sony is just on fire. Geoff is saying devs tell him it is more impressive than the rift. They are getting rift "exclusives" already.

xbox is finished...unless they surprise everyone really soon

#28 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

Right now.

Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley 42s

Developers who have used Project Morpheus tell me the fidelity of the image and experience is superior to Oculus Rift.

#29 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

Right now.

Geoff Keighley ‏@geoffkeighley 42s

Developers who have used Project Morpheus tell me the fidelity of the image and experience is superior to Oculus Rift.

lol...touche!

That Eve Valkrine has got to hurt over at Oculus

#30 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

@Areez: tomorrow it's playable to everyone at GDC

#31 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Ok. Presentation over. Some thoughts.

• No Drive Club. No MLB demo. No Infamous demo. This is par for the course for Sony's peripherals. They announce everything and support nothing. PS Eye for PS2. Move and 3D for PS3 were all poorly supported. If their own first party studios cant show up for the reveal, why would third party devs waste their time supporting an expensive peripheral?
  • Expensive. The specs are close to Oculus Rift's current dev kit so we are looking at $300+ at the very least.
  • They kept referring to it as a Prototype and Devkit. 1080p display and other specs might get downgraded.
  • Prototype likely means it's not closed to being released.
  • Too good to be true. You can wear it with glasses. It wont hurt your cheek bones or nose. It wont fog up the lenses and has 360 degree head tracking and surround sound. Even positional tracking using the PS Eye Camera. Yeah, and I am having a threesome with scarlet Johanson and Emma Watson tonight.
  • I just dont expect Sony to deliver all they've promised here. It was a fantastic presentation. Probably their best one in years. But I highly doubt they will deliver.
#32 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

• No Drive Club. No MLB demo. No Infamous demo. This is par for the course for Sony's peripherals. They announce everything and support nothing. PS Eye for PS2. Move and 3D for PS3 were all poorly supported. If their own first party studios cant show up for the reveal, why would third party devs waste their time supporting an expensive peripheral?
  • Expensive. The specs are close to Oculus Rift's current dev kit so we are looking at $300+ at the very least.
  • They kept referring to it as a Prototype and Devkit. 1080p display and other specs might get downgraded.
  • Too good to be true. You can wear it with glasses. It wont hurt your cheek bones or nose. It wont fog up the lenses and has 360 degree head tracking and surround sound. Even positional tracking using the PS Eye Camera. Yeah, and I am having a threesome with scarlet Johanson and Emma Watson tonight.
  • I just dont expect Sony to deliver all they've promised here. It was a fantastic presentation. Probably their best one in years. But I highly doubt they will deliver.

I can speak directly to the 'too good to be true'. I can wear my glasses with the Oculus Rift Dev kit (I have the first one). Its not the most comfortable that way but with a few minor alterations it could be.

What really surprised me is this...

I didnt need my glasses. If I take my glasses off before using the Oculus my vision is for shit which is to be expected. However when I put on the oculus I can see fine. I am not sure I understand how that is possible but with the lenses that worked for me (you get three) it was just like wearing my glasses.

#33 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

@S0lidSnake:

They weren't announcing a commercial product, they're recruiting developers to work with it. They referred to it as a prototype and a dev kit because it is a prototype dev kit. They didn't announce any games for it because they haven't announced a product yet. Expect a lot more from e3

#34 Posted by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

I can speak directly to the 'too good to be true'. I can wear my glasses with the Oculus Rift Dev kit (I have the first one). Its not the most comfortable that way but with a few minor alterations it could be.

I didnt need my glasses. If I take my glasses off before using the Oculus my vision is for shit which is to be expected. However when I put on the oculus I can see fine. I am not sure I understand how that is possible but with the lenses that worked for me (you get three) it was just like wearing my glasses.

Could it be because you are far sighted? I take out my contacts before i go to bed but am able to browse the internet on my cellphone just fine as long as I keep it right infront of me. I am blind as a bat otherwise.

How far away is the OR screen? Does it look like you are looking into a window? How is the Image Quality? The first dev kits were like 640p or something weird like that. Does 30 fps work well with First Person Shooters in Oculus Rift?

I haven't been able to try it yet so I have like a million questions. The only chance I had was at Eurogamer Expo but the lines were way too long and the demos didn't look interesting enough for me to wait 2 hours.

#35 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@SEANMCAD said:

Could it be because you are far sighted? I take out my contacts before i go to bed but am able to browse the internet on my cellphone just fine as long as I keep it right infront of me. I am blind as a bat otherwise.

How far away is the OR screen? Does it look like you are looking into a window? How is the Image Quality? The first dev kits were like 640p or something weird like that. Does 30 fps work well with First Person Shooters in Oculus Rift?

I haven't been able to try it yet so I have like a million questions. The only chance I had was at Eurogamer Expo but the lines were way too long and the demos didn't look interesting enough for me to wait 2 hours.

without my glasses in real life I cant see close or far. That said I have a lazy eye which my glasses correct that might be a subject matter on the Oculus but I dont know .

The first dev kit did have low resolution and it was great darkish type games that were not super fast (scuba diving demo for example). I would love to see what the new kit is like.

the screen is no more than an inch from your face but once you have it on you dont notice any screen distance. although your extreem side view is a bit limiting. Its kind of like wearing a helmet or something (visually speaking)

#36 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@SEANMCAD: Highly unlikely VR is going to finish the Xbox.

#37 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

@S0lidSnake: You lucky S.O.B. to be having a threesome with Scarlet Johanson and Ema Watson.

On a serious note, the presentation was great and the VR sounds really cool. I am definitely looking forward to the feedback from those who get demo the device tomorrow.

However to your point, Sony does at times over promise and under deliver.

#38 Posted by barrybarryk (436 posts) -

Well Oculus have an event tomorrow and another one on the 20th, with them stopping sale of their last dev kit recently there's a really good chance they'll announce the availability of Dev Kit 2 at some point this week.

Some have even already been spotted in the wild

#39 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

So we will have a VR war. So awesome. The Sony one needs to be adaptable to PC , if not I may have to go with the rift. I don't trust Sony to support a peripheral.

#40 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@S0lidSnake said:

PS Move got support about as good as one could expect considering most core gamers are opposed (for mostly good reasons) to motion controls. They offered motion controlled minigames/dance games and core games where motion control was an option. What hurt the move was not the level of support, but the fact it offered a level of precision which casuals didn't care about and boasted a more complex interface (the PS Move, like the Wii U's controller, stacked its additional functionality on top of all of the buttons of a normally controller) while the Kinect was camera only.

Nobody aside from Nintendo (though Sony did do so some silly things with the Sixaxis in games like Heavenly Sword early on) routinely went beyond token core support for their motion controlled hardware last gen, and such efforts were almost never appreciated (nods towards Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword). Its worth noting that the X360 biggest IPs (Halo and Gears) religiously avoided the Kinect.

Putting/forcing technology which hurts a game into a game hurts both the game and the technology. I've never seen an Xbone Kinect defender cite its half hearted implementation in the handful of core games that use it (Ryse's use of the Kinect totally sold me on it!).

Anyway, when putting together a tidbits thread I came across a rumor which named developers working on the Kinect. Media Molecule I can believe they love technology more than anyone (they are the only Sony developer anyone can name who is enthusiastic about the Move). The others make sense given what we know (though SSM only makes sense because GoW is being used to show off the tech).

*Shrugs* While I love a good argument, I think VR are going to be a sideshow at best this generation. If it is lucky, it will be the equivalent of CD technology in the 8 and 16 bit eras (a few interesting uses, decent sales, but mostly a gimmick whose true potential was only realized once the PS1 and Saturn hit).

Industry insider Ahsan “Thuway” Rasheed, that normally has a quite good track record with what his sources tell him and that has been talking about the headset for a while, mentioned a few projects in development or at least planned for the new tech on Twitter:

• Sony Santa Monica project
  • Driveclub
  • Media Molecule project
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Something else from Japan
#41 Posted by Bigboi500 (29347 posts) -

This just in: Project Morpheus required to play the upcoming Uncharted 4. Sony mice everywhere run out an pre-order one immediately. jk

#42 Posted by sukraj (22133 posts) -
#43 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

@Areez said:

@SEANMCAD: Highly unlikely VR is going to finish the Xbox.

that is just one of many things but VR this round is critical none the less

#44 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

PS Move got support about as good as one could expect considering most core gamers are opposed (for mostly good reasons) to motion controls. They offered motion controlled minigames/dance games and core games where motion control was an option. What hurt the move was not the level of support, but the fact it offered a level of precision which casuals didn't care about and boasted a more complex interface (the PS Move, like the Wii U's controller, stacked its additional functionality on top of all of the buttons of a normally controller) while the Kinect was camera only.

Nobody aside from Nintendo (though Sony did do so some silly things with the Sixaxis in games like Heavenly Sword early on) routinely went beyond token core support for their motion controlled hardware last gen, and such efforts were almost never appreciated (nods towards Mario Galaxy and Skyward Sword). Its worth noting that the X360 biggest IPs (Halo and Gears) religiously avoided the Kinect.

Putting/forcing technology which hurts a game into a game hurts both the game and the technology. I've never seen an Xbone Kinect defender cite its half hearted implementation in the handful of core games that use it (Ryse's use of the Kinect totally sold me on it!).

Anyway, when putting together a tidbits thread I came across a rumor which named developers working on the Kinect. Media Molecule I can believe they love technology more than anyone (they are the only Sony developer anyone can name who is enthusiastic about the Move). The others make sense given what we know (though SSM only makes sense because GoW is being used to show off the tech).

*Shrugs* While I love a good argument, I think VR are going to be a sideshow at best this generation. If it is lucky, it will be the equivalent of CD technology in the 8 and 16 bit eras (a few interesting uses, decent sales, but mostly a gimmick whose true potential was only realized once the PS1 and Saturn hit).

Industry insider Ahsan “Thuway” Rasheed, that normally has a quite good track record with what his sources tell him and that has been talking about the headset for a while, mentioned a few projects in development or at least planned for the new tech on Twitter:

• Driveclub
  • Media Molecule project
  • Gran Turismo 7

I disagree that core gamers lack of enthusiasm is the reason why the Move got such lackluster support. It's sony's job to support their products regardless of whatever preconceptions some jaded customers are clinging on to. The fact is that they had the technology to convince the core gamers otherwise, but chose not to push third party devs to implement a Move control scheme for first person shooters. Hell they couldn't even convince Naughty Dog to adapt this obviously superior control scheme. Both KZ3 and Resistance control like a dream with the Move, and all versions of CoD on the Wii and Wii U support their IR controller so Sony is the one to be blamed for not supporting this ridiculously expensive $100 peripheral.

They have done a good job supporting Remote Play by practically making it mandatory and extremely easy to implement. Same should've been done for the Move functionality for third and first person shooters. No one is FORCING this Move controller on the consumer, it's simply an alternate control scheme.

VR is in its early stages. But it's the future whether we like it or not. It will definitely come into its own next gen.

It was interesting to see them bring up Move and PS Eye because thats the other part of the equation if you are trying to capture the immersion in video games. Swinging a bat, sword or a ping pong paddle is a lot more immersive than pressing X on your controller.

I dont like thuway. He teases a lot instead of simply saying what he knows. Take everything he says with a grain of salt. Drive Club was rumored to be demoing with the VR but it was nowhere to be seen. if it was so impressive than why not show it?

#45 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8765 posts) -

I'm really not on board with this VR headset thing. I feel like it's a really superficial and expensive idea. Much like 3D tvs.

#46 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Some more details have popped up on the GAF (from a user named amar212, a name which means nothing to me, but Solid might recognize it).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787094&page=40

Some additional info:

- Morpheus is using both HDMI and USB ports together when plugged into PS4

- wireless will probably not be an option, "floating" nature of screen will allow players to check the cables when playing - 960x1080 per eye / stereoscopic 3D

- 40-30 ms latency ATM with goal of significant reduce

- HDMI out for option for other people to experience players perspective of playing on conventional set in the same room (HDMI pass trough basically) for either watching or playing in co-op in the same time: one player on Morpheus, other on TV

- currently needs to be within 3m of Camera view for accurate positional tracking

- online Morpheus play is naturally possible

- no PC plan ATM but everything is "possible"

- PS3 compatibility is not excluded

- no dates, no price

#47 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

Gimmick? I hope not because NASA has been using both Oculus and Sony

Cost? People spend thousands of dollars for stereos..that is just sound...please

#48 Edited by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@CarnageHeart said:

• Driveclub
  • Media Molecule project
  • Gran Turismo 7

I disagree that core gamers lack of enthusiasm is the reason why the Move got such lackluster support. It's sony's job to support their products regardless of whatever preconceptions some jaded customers are clinging on to. The fact is that they had the technology to convince the core gamers otherwise, but chose not to push third party devs to implement a Move control scheme for first person shooters. Hell they couldn't even convince Naughty Dog to adapt this obviously superior control scheme. Both KZ3 and Resistance control like a dream with the Move, and all versions of CoD on the Wii and Wii U support their IR controller so Sony is the one to be blamed for not supporting this ridiculously expensive $100 peripheral.

They have done a good job supporting Remote Play by practically making it mandatory and extremely easy to implement. Same should've been done for the Move functionality for third and first person shooters. No one is FORCING this Move controller on the consumer, it's simply an alternate control scheme.

VR is in its early stages. But it's the future whether we like it or not. It will definitely come into its own next gen.

It was interesting to see them bring up Move and PS Eye because thats the other part of the equation if you are trying to capture the immersion in video games. Swinging a bat, sword or a ping pong paddle is a lot more immersive than pressing X on your controller.

I dont like thuway. He teases a lot instead of simply saying what he knows. Take everything he says with a grain of salt. Drive Club was rumored to be demoing with the VR but it was nowhere to be seen. if it was so impressive than why not show it?

I think selling shooter fans on motion controls isn't going to happen. Most console shooter fans are happy with dual analog controls. Yes, motion controls are better (a tiny minority of shooter fans has been vocal about that fact, as have reviewers), but the overwhelming majority of gamers clearly don't care.

I think fans of other genres which are less well served by current controllers might be more open minded. Like I've noted before, play/create/share games can really benefit from motion controllers (LBP2 lets users paint and animate sprites, Project Spark lets the player act out actions which it then maps onto in-game characters). Also, while its a niche genre on consoles, motion controllers are incredible for real time strategies (vastly better than dual analog).

I agree that the more time Drive Club is hidden, the more likely it is that something has gone horribly wrong. I haven't paid a ton of attention to thuway but your observation sounds reasonable.

#49 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Here's an interesting demo of some eye tracking tech Sony wants to shrink and incorporate into Morpheus.

Hands on impressions has links to pretty much all of the impressions of Morpheus on the internet.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787997

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/20/5527274/could-throwing-fireballs-with-your-eyes-be-the-future-of-playstation

#50 Edited by MirkoS77 (7165 posts) -

Head's where the senses reside. This is why this will (ultimately) succeed much better where motion controls won't and never will, least with current tech. Despite the pessimism here, I say bring it on.