This topic is locked from further discussion.

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

SURPRISE! Not a thread about next gen incoming! :D

Well, anyway, I just wanted to talk about something regarding the two characters mentioned in the title (Yeah, believe me, NO next gen news, speculations, specs or discussions in this thread, really! o.O ).

Recently, I got myself Sonic All Stars & racing Transformed and I just can't help it getting the feeling that Sonic slowly, but steady is overtaking Mario in terms of the most popular gaming icon ever. I also own Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 and Sonic, as well as Mario certainly have managed to adjust themselves, their games and especially the gameplay of them into modern times, also both are successful in more than their original genre these days.

But just a few days ago it hit me, when I looked at my shelf and looked at Sonic Generations & Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed.....it felt like I own the PS3 equivalent couple of the legendary SNES Age Super Mario World and Super Mario Kart, the two Sonic Games mentioned above capture so much of the spirit of the past gaming generations glory that I just couldn't help it but feel that way, just thought, THAT'S how you transfer the great gameplay of the past into a modernizationed future and keep all the fun in it.

And while Sonic these days is doing especially well with games like this, I feel that Mario, as much as I love him kinda is stagnating, sure, Super Mario Galaxy, Kart etc. still sells well I bet, but it's just more of the annual same stuff, while every current Sonic Game feels fresh again and again. Maybe it's due to there aren't by far as many Sonic Games as Mario games out recently, but maybe that's the secret to it, quality over quantity.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on this matter? Share them ^^ I'd be really interested to discuss it!

Oh, and (no, still no next gen stuff) I added a poll, just for the lulz...ya know (and to check who's reading the post at all :P ) ^^

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Somari ofc:

titlescreen.png

(Mario is better overall but Sonic had it's moments too)

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Somari ofc:

titlescreen.png

(Mario is better overall but Sonic had it's moments too)

nameless12345
lol that word means "donkeys" in italian
final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

Sonic is a game, usually bad, sometimes good

Mario is not a game, it's puzzle garbage

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
Mario introduced me to video gaming,Sonic told me all his stories
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Sonic is a game, usually bad, sometimes good

Mario is not a game, it's puzzle garbage

final_lap
^ And that, kids, is what happens when you do acids
Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts
Sonic. Love the speed. Mario is okay but way too slow.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts
Mario all the way. I've played most every Sonic game and enjoyed many of them but for me the differences between the two were always pretty big.
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
Mario Hands down. Never liked the Sonic games or personality.
Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
Mario. I beat the first Sonic game and it was alright, nothing special.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Sonic, and it's not close. The classic Sonic games just flat out demolish the 2D Mario games in every facet imaginable; Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed is so much more fun and challenging than any Mario Kart game I've ever played; and I like Adventure 1/Colors/Generations much more than all of the 3D Mario outings. I like Mario games, but Sonic at his best simply outclasses them in my book.

Dexter-010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Dexter-010
Member since 2011 • 494 Posts
Super Mario offcourse ;-)
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
I'll always have a special place for Sonic as his first game was also my first game, but at the same time, I can't deny how much better the overall quality of Mario is, and how the series has stood the test of time better than any other game series in history. I've gotta go with Mario.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

mario

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

I prefer Sonic.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Mario dominates Sonic across the board. There is not a bad mainstream Mario title on the books whereas there has not been a good mainstream Sonic game since the Genesis days (and even those games are not as good as the Mario titles from the Nintendo/Super Nintendo days). Everything Sonic beyond Genesis is pure garbage whereas Mario has consistently gotten better with age. 

Outside of the mainstream titles Sonic has a bit more of an argument to make. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is indead a beast of a game. I have said before in other threads that Nintendo had better bring its best with Mario Kart U or it might not have the best racer on its own console. Sonic Chronicles was also an amazing game which I would love to see a 3D sequel for. However Mario is no slouch outside of platformers either. Even if it cannot top SART Mario Kart has always been a great racer. Mario Tennis and Mario Golf are great games too. 

If you had to take every single game in the Mario series (spinoffs and all) and grade them on a scale of one to ten collectively and did the same with all of the Sonic games I would give Mario a 9 and Sonic a 6 (and that is being extremely generous).

Godly_Cure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Godly_Cure
Member since 2007 • 4293 Posts

Mario dominates Sonic across the board. There is not a bad mainstream Mario title on the books whereas there has not been a good mainstream Sonic game since the Genesis days (and even those games are not as good as the Mario titles from the Nintendo/Super Nintendo days). Everything Sonic beyond Genesis is pure garbage whereas Mario has consistently gotten better with age. 

Outside of the mainstream titles Sonic has a bit more of an argument to make. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is indead a beast of a game. I have said before in other threads that Nintendo had better bring its best with Mario Kart U or it might not have the best racer on its own console. Sonic Chronicles was also an amazing game which I would love to see a 3D sequel for. However Mario is no slouch outside of platformers either. Even if it cannot top SART Mario Kart has always been a great racer. Mario Tennis and Mario Golf are great games too. 

If you had to take every single game in the Mario series (spinoffs and all) and grade them on a scale of one to ten collectively and did the same with all of the Sonic games I would give Mario a 9 and Sonic a 6 (and that is being extremely generous).

Euaggelistes
No Mario does not. It's opinion and personal preference.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I can say with certainty that Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island >>>> Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3. I haven't played Sonic & Knuckles or Sonic CD though, perhaps one of those game would wow me more.

As for current SOnic and current Mario, I'd say Mario easily beats Sonic, considering some of the low quality games Sonic has seen, or the mess of a game SOnic 2006. Colours and Generations are supposed to be good, though I have a hard time seeing either game being able to top the greatness that is Mario Galaxy 1 or 2.

Overall I'd say that Mario > Sonic, based on the fact that Mario has been around longer and has to this day been able to maintain pretty consistant quality.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Renegade_Fury

Did I just read a post that said Super Mario Galaxy is more of the same and compared Sonic to it. Did that really just happen? This most be what happens when movie buffs have young kids say Transformers is better than Casablanca. And I am the biggest Sonic fan here. dvader654

Apparently you're not if you think that's so blasphemous. I like Sonic Generations more than SMG2, because it takes more skill to become proficient at, has far and away better music, and time attack mode is addicting as hell. Ranking within the top 25 for Modern Planet Wisp was much more fun and satisfying than anything I did in the Galaxy games, including beating the Perfect Run. The arcade like experience offered in the latest Sonic games can't be found in any other platformer.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]Did I just read a post that said Super Mario Galaxy is more of the same and compared Sonic to it. Did that really just happen? This most be what happens when movie buffs have young kids say Transformers is better than Casablanca. And I am the biggest Sonic fan here. dvader654

Apparently you're not if you think that's so blasphemous. I like Sonic Generations more than SMG2, because it takes more skill to become proficient at, has far and away better music, and time attack mode is addicting as hell. Ranking within the top 25 for Modern Planet Wisp was much more fun and satisfying than anything I did in the Galaxy games, including beating the Perfect Run. The arcade like experience offered in the latest Sonic games can't be found in any other platformer.

Well I would argue that Unleashed had better daytime levels than Generations. Anyway yeah as an arcade score attack kind of way nothing beats the Sonic games. They are the ultimate skill based platfomers, not to beat the level cause that is easy but to master it, it is why I love them. That said while Sonic does what Sonic does well the level of quality is just isnt there in the highest forms like it is with Galaxy. Every aspect of the Galaxy games is almost game perfection, there are a bunch of issues with Sonic, hell Generations level design got worse as the game went on. Plus its like 18 levels and the side missions werent that great. 

BTW I am sure I can beat your score if I really wanted to. :P

I disagree on Unleashed and on Generations. I think the zones got better as the game went on in Generations because it took more skill and quick reactions to be mistake free and to get a better time. The Galaxy games are extremely polished, but I can't remember a single thing about them aside from the Perfect Run and maybe the bee stuff and toy galaxy from the first one. Once you beat them, there is no reason to replay, it's just over. With Sonic I keep coming back, because I want to get better and beat my latest time. There could be more zones, but it doesn't really bother me, because it takes a long enough time to master each one as is.

And no, I doubt it. :P

My playstyle is very similar to this, and my time would have been ranked #2 in the world at the time instead to whatever it's been pushed to these days thanks to glitch abusers and what not.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Renegade_Fury

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="dvader654"]

Well I would argue that Unleashed had better daytime levels than Generations. Anyway yeah as an arcade score attack kind of way nothing beats the Sonic games. They are the ultimate skill based platfomers, not to beat the level cause that is easy but to master it, it is why I love them. That said while Sonic does what Sonic does well the level of quality is just isnt there in the highest forms like it is with Galaxy. Every aspect of the Galaxy games is almost game perfection, there are a bunch of issues with Sonic, hell Generations level design got worse as the game went on. Plus its like 18 levels and the side missions werent that great. 

BTW I am sure I can beat your score if I really wanted to. :P

dvader654

I disagree on Unleashed and on Generations. I think the zones got better as the game went on in Generations because it took more skill and quick reactions to be mistake free and to get a better time. The Galaxy games are extremely polished, but I can't remember a single thing about them aside from the Perfect Run and maybe the bee stuff and toy galaxy from the first one. Once you beat them, there is no reason to replay, it's just over. With Sonic I keep coming back, because I want to get better and beat my latest time. There could be more zones, but it doesn't really bother me, because it takes a long enough time to master each one as is.

And no, I doubt it. :P

My playstyle is very similar to this, and my time would have been ranked #2 in the world at the time instead to whatever it's been pushed to these days thanks to glitch abusers and what not.

Just cause a level is harder doesn't make it better. The Genesis levels were way more interesting to me and I was ranked in the top 5 of most of them. Though Planet Wisp was an exception, amazing level. 

As for Mario, if they had online leaderboards for speed runs of their levels you would have the same level of skill and competition. The stuff you can do in a Mario speed run is crazy, the only difference is that Mario isn't focused on that while Sonic is. 

Being easy as hell also doesn't make it better either. I like chemical plant a lot, but sky sanctuary and green hill were not as fun to me. I like the classic version of those zones, but I feel like I need a Genesis controller in my hand if I wanted to speed run those. Also, the physics slightly annoy me since they're not the same as the Genesis games.

I've seen Mario speed runs for the classic games, and I think those are cool. I'm just not interested in watching or playing them in the latest games, because they seem to be more about enjoying a "magical" experience if that makes any sense. If the levels were more like the perfect run, I'd be interested.

lazyathew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 lazyathew
Member since 2007 • 3748 Posts

I've always been more of a Sonic person then Mario. But I do enjoy Mario a lot too. I practicly grew up with Sonic. Sonic 2 was my first game, and Sonic Adventure 2 was the first game I beat. The Sonic Adventure games were the first games I really got obsessed with. Constantly going back and replaying my favorite levels.

As someone else said, Mario games just aren't quite as fun to replay. At least not the 3D ones. Sure, I'll back and relpay them once in a while, but not nearly as much as Sonic. Sonic has his missteps, and Mario has a more consistent quality, but when Sonic is at his best, he laves Mario in the dust.

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

[QUOTE="Euaggelistes"]

Godly_Cure

No Mario does not. It's opinion and personal preference.

Of course it is all personal preference and opinion. I thought that was implied in the question. I know there are many people (my own son included!) who like Sonic more than Mario.

Fezzinator101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 Fezzinator101
Member since 2011 • 195 Posts

Sonic.