Sonic or Mario?????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by TheG28 (25 posts) -
Now I know this has probably been done a hundred times but this is my first post so just entertain me :-). I've just downloaded the original sonic the hedgehog on me s2 and i was instantly teleported back to my childhood days of playing on the mega drive all day and chucking the controller around the room when Dr Robotnik killed me for the 50th time. So I'm busy trying to prize the ds off my girlfriend to play super Mario, hence the reason for the post. So come on then the Hedgehog or the plumber???
#2 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Thats a tough choice. For me its like asking apples or oranges. Both are awesome but different.

#3 Posted by nyc05 (10186 posts) -

As in character VS character?

Or series VS series?

My answer is the same for both: Mario.

I never cared for Sonic, even when I was young.  Not the character or the game in which he stared.

Not that I love Mario as a character, really, but I find the Mario games to be much more fun than Sonic games.  And I don't find Mario annoying like I do Sonic.

#4 Posted by gameofthering (10869 posts) -

I prefer Sonic overall. I still like Mario but just not as much.

#5 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Easily Mario.

#6 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34857 posts) -

I've always been way more of a Mario fan myself. Sonic is alright though; I am interested in Lost Worlds, and do feel like checking out Sonic CD and Generations.

#7 Posted by TheG28 (25 posts) -
Series vs Series is the question, I did think that Mario would be the most popular, they have kept a lot of the original gameplay where as the later sonic games lost the skill factor. Still waiting for a blast on Mario, girlfriend now has battle scarred thumbs.
#8 Posted by Pikminmaniac (10625 posts) -

Mario is definitely the stronger series overall, but I do enjoy the unique marriage of racing and platforming that only Sonic provides.

#9 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Can't stand either of them.

#10 Posted by johnd13 (8817 posts) -

Mario. I' m a lot more familiar with him than Sonic.

#11 Posted by Renegade_Fury (18358 posts) -

Sonic. I still like Super Mario Bros. 1, 3, and the Galaxy games, but that's about it. That, and even when I was a kid, I always thought Mario was a boring and lame character too.

#12 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15556 posts) -

I've never understood how people can choose Sonic as a better franchise or are we only comparing the platformers on NES/SNES vs Genesis?

I've played most of the Sonic games and a lot of the Mario games. Sonic has had like six good games 1, 2, 3, CD, the DS one whos names I forget, and Colors. Mario has had dozens of good games in about six different genres. I'd choose Mario if he only had the first two Paper Mario games and Mario RPG, or just the Mario and Luigi games on handhelds, and I've always preferred the 2D Mario games on the NES and SNES to the Sonic Genesis games. Sonic was always a short fun game I would be able to rush through as a kid that barely changed it's gameplay with the new titles, every old Mario title improved or was very or completely different (with the exception of the second one, Lost Levels).

#13 Posted by Bigboi500 (35077 posts) -

Mario platformers absolutely destroy Sonic platformers from back in the day.

#14 Posted by MonoSilver (1392 posts) -
I grew up with a Mega Drive and Sonic. So the blue hedgehog.
#15 Posted by AcidTango (1078 posts) -

Mario for me though some of the classic Sonic games are great

#16 Posted by Jehuty08 (1951 posts) -

If you asked me this back in the day, It would have been sonic. Now a days, its mario

#17 Posted by spike6958 (5835 posts) -
Overall it has to be Mario. Mario games have a consistent level of high quality, where as Sonic, at least since turning to 3D, have been very hit and miss, sure Adventure, Adventure 2, Generations and Colors where good, but how terrible Heroes, Sonic '06, Unleashed, Secret Rings, Shadow the Hedgehog, and The Black Knight where far overshadows them.
#18 Posted by Archangel3371 (18672 posts) -
Definitely Mario for me. I've played several Sonic games and enjoyed them but the Mario games have always been my favourite between the two franchises.
Avatar image for AbstractRadical
#19 Posted by AbstractRadical (632 posts) -
Mario
#20 Posted by HipHopBeats (2847 posts) -

I'd probably vote for Mario but Sonic has better head nodding music.

Avatar image for EtherealMachine
#21 Posted by EtherealMachine (100 posts) -

Sonic (Pre-3D Blast) > Mario, although I love Super Mario World to death.

#22 Posted by josephl64 (4424 posts) -

Easily Mario, never liked Sonic...

#23 Posted by Inferi-Fang (78 posts) -
I've always enjoyed Mario games, but I'm gona have to go with Sonic.