This topic is locked from further discussion.

SleekPrism79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By SleekPrism79
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Sonic The Hedgehog is a franchise that I've grown up with and learned to appreciate. I always enjoy the games, no matter what it is. A lot of people complain about how there are always those sonic games that they just hate. Things like sonic '06 and Shadow The Hedgehog. I've recently replayed Shadow, and that game in my mind is pretty rad. Sure we look down on it now given our time age and the age of the game, but everything was pretty amazing in my eyes. amazing enough to notice and appreciate. I' have yet to play sonic '06, but i do plan on it soon. I do not see a sonic cycle. I see a very succeseful franchise with amazing soundtracks from artists such as crush 40. with the arrival of Sonic Boom, its not exactly a face-paced platformer that im used to sonic being, but more of a rp beat-em-up in my head. I can't really hate it as Sega is trying to appeal to todays "desires'. and it was made to coexsist with the upcoming animated series on cartoon network. I could give it a shoot, but no matter how god-aweful the game may be, i will always like and appreciate Sonic The Hedgehog and his games.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Sonic '06 is generally considered to be one of the worst games ever made.

And the Sonic fanbase has kind of a bad reputation online.

SleekPrism79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SleekPrism79

well not everyone can hate. i'm one of them who actually like.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

I'm pretty sure that even the vast majority of Sonic fans think that '06 is shit.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

The Hardcore fans don't only hate changes... They hate the improvements too... Sega should just ignore them.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

I've been a Sonic fan since '91, but the hate and mockery comes with the territory post '01. Just like what you like, because there is a lot of exaggeration about the poor quality thrown around by non-fans and guys that think that anything after Sonic 3 & Knuckles automatically sucks. Don't be fooled though, '06 is utter garbage, but there are over 40 other titles in the series, so it sucks how that POS and its insane Archie Comic reading fanbase are somehow viewed as the face of the franchise. Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles, CD, Adventure, Unleashed (360), Advance, Rush, Rush Adventure, Colors, Colors DS, Generations, and All-Stars Racing Transformed all rank amongst my favorite games.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

There has been exactly one good console Sonic game since the Genesis - Sonic Generations, and even that has a lot of problems.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

The Hardcore fans don't only hate changes... They hate the improvements too...

What improvements?

@sleekprism79 said:

I always enjoy the games, no matter what it is.

So you have no standards then.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#8 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

It's kind of hard to justify the poor level design and bad controls that recent Sonic games have suffered from, with Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06 being the top offenders IMO.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu

I don't know.... I literally haven't played any of the Sonic games besides the old one on my Brother's Sega many many years ago....

But I do know gamers are self entitled jerkwads who think they know better than everyone and go all foaming at the mouth bat shit crazy when somebody touches their beloved classics.

Even Justin Bieber groupies look down on gamers.

I know I generalise when I say gamer instead of Sonic hardcore fans.... But its all the same. ;)

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pffrbt

@mastermetal777 said:

It's kind of hard to justify the poor level design and bad controls that recent Sonic games have suffered from, with Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06 being the top offenders IMO.

Shadow and Sonic '06 are both almost ten years old. That's not exactly recent.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I don't know.... I literally haven't played any of the Sonic games besides the old one on my Brother's Sega many many years ago....

So what you're saying is completely baseless then.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lulu_Lulu

@Pffrbt

Well Duh !..... And yet its still more likely than the alternitive. :) I mean seriously.... Would you rather think these hardcore nostalgic fans are right ?

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

People hate sonic because every game has been a disappointment since the megadrive era.

Hate is a strong word, but my expectations of every sonic title are very low.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pffrbt

@Lulu_Lulu said:
Would you rather think these hardcore nostalgic fans are right ?

About what exactly? That most Sonic games after the Genesis are crap? Yes.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@Pffrbt

Sigh.....

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pffrbt

@Lulu_Lulu: You haven't really actually been saying anything this entire topic. What point are you trying to make exactly.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@Pffrbt

Don't worry about me.... I judge each game by its own merits..... Not by some game I believe to be the Cat's Pijamas......

The lines between whats best and whats best to you will get blurred easily and any deviation from "the best" will seem inferior to you....

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pffrbt

You still aren't saying anything. Never mind.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu

@Pffrbt

or Perhaps this is just you being ignorant..... After all I did just say something..... Didn't you see it ?....... No ?

well there ya go..... :p

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

This Lulu_Lulu .vs. Pffburt battle is not as entertaining as it should be lol.

Anyway, Sonic hate is a little overblown. People act like Sonic games were consistently awful after the Genesis but they were/are more inconsistent than anything.

Sonic 1-Sonic & Knuckles were pure gold, Sonic 3D Blast was junk, Sonic Adventure was good for the time but hasn't aged well and started many of the series' problems, Sonic Adventure 2 took Adventure 1's most irksome flaws (IMO) and magnified them, Sonic Heroes was alright but uninspired, Sonic 06 was a disaster of epic proportions, Sonic Unleashed could have been good if not for the soul crushingly awful Werehog levels and overworld, Sonic Colors was awesome, and I hear Sonic Generations was even more awesome.

Lost World doesn't look that bad to me, but I've never actually played it.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts

@sleekprism79: Exactly i don't see why people bitch&moan about Sonic 06 and countless other failed sonic games.. seriously people need to take off their nostalgia glasses and face reality.. reality that sonic never was up with Mario's versatility in platforming games or the fact that sonic games just don't work in 3d (unless the core concept is changed completely which i believe would piss fans off even more)

And Seriously sega WHERE IS MAH EARTHWORM JIM 4!? AAAHH >_<

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pffrbt

@GreySeal9 said:
People act like Sonic games were consistently awful after the Genesis but they were/are more inconsistent than anything.

They were inconsistent while being consistently awful. Really, the vast majority of the games are either outright trash or mediocre at best, while all being completely inconsistent with their identity.

@torenojohn7 said:

@sleekprism79: Exactly i don't see why people bitch&moan about Sonic 06 and countless other failed sonic games..

Because those games are awful and everyone knows the series is capable of better.

"reality that sonic never was up with Mario's versatility in platforming games"
Mario's brand of platforming was never as specific as Sonic's. This doesn't matter though since no one was discussing versatility and versatility isn't required to be a good series. The Genesis Sonic games are more enjoyable than any 2D Mario game.

"or the fact that sonic games just don't work in 3d"
I don't really see how you can say this when no attempts have been made to actually translate Sonic's gameplay into 3D so far in the first place.

"And Seriously sega WHERE IS MAH EARTHWORM JIM 4!? AAAHH >_<"
Who cares. Earthworm Jim has always been a terrible series.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#22  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

@GreySeal9 said:
People act like Sonic games were consistently awful after the Genesis but they were/are more inconsistent than anything.

They were inconsistent while being consistently awful. Really, the vast majority of the games are either outright trash or mediocre at best, while all being completely inconsistent with their identity.

@torenojohn7 said:

@sleekprism79: Exactly i don't see why people bitch&moan about Sonic 06 and countless other failed sonic games..

Because those games are awful and everyone knows the series is capable of better.

"reality that sonic never was up with Mario's versatility in platforming games"

Mario's brand of platforming was never as specific as Sonic's. This doesn't matter though since no one was discussing versatility and versatility isn't required to be a good series. The Genesis Sonic games are more enjoyable than any 2D Mario game.

"or the fact that sonic games just don't work in 3d"

I don't really see how you can say this when no attempts have been made to actually translate Sonic's gameplay into 3D so far in the first place.

"And Seriously sega WHERE IS MAH EARTHWORM JIM 4!? AAAHH >_<"

Who cares. Earthworm Jim has always been a terrible series.

Haha. You really love your opinion arguments.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu

@GreySeal9

Yeah... I'm off my game today... :(

thecruzan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 thecruzan
Member since 2014 • 106 Posts

Most of the Sonic games I've played were trash- the newer ones especially. Only Sonic games I really liked were Sonic Adventure 1, 2, and Sonic Heroes. I've found that new Sonic game on the iOS store more amusing than most of them that I've played.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pffrbt

@thecruzan said:

Only Sonic games I really liked were Sonic Adventure 1, 2, and Sonic Heroes.

Why? Those were pretty much the start of trash Sonic games. Sonic Adventure 2 and Heroes in particular are completely miserable to play.

torenojohn7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26 torenojohn7
Member since 2012 • 551 Posts
@Pffrbt said: .

"The Genesis Sonic games are more enjoyable than any 2D Mario game"

"Who cares. Earthworm Jim has always been a terrible series"

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

I lost interest in Sonic the Hedgehog years and years ago, the company in charge of him just does not know what to do right; as they are not smart and have proven such even when I was interested in Sonic the Hedgehog. I want to see a Sonic the Hedgehog video game with graphics like Super Mario 3D World, good game play, open world, a large amount of characters to play as, and I mean a large amount; as I am sick of only Sonic or a limited amount of characters only being playable and people only wanting to play as Sonic to be boring.

I want an open world video game where I can play as Rouge, Cream, Knuckles, Charmy, Vector, Espio, Amy, Cheese, Shadow, Eggman, Tails or even just robots and so on; make it free roaming and open world, have a large set of cool outfits for the characters to wear. If the game is not made to be free roaming, chances are they will just have Sonic be controlled like a car, like all those other terrible video games they made due to their ignorance.

Make a new chao garden and give it graphics like Super Mario 3D World or Mario Kart 8. The engine that Sumo Digital uses for Sonic the Hedgehog video games also be fine for what I want; not that any of this will ever happen. These companies are just not smart and their decisions are why I have not purchased a Sonic the Hedgehog video game since 2006 and even then when I became interest in Sonic the Hedgehog back in 2001, many of the video games were terrible accept the ones for Gameboy Advance which were just hard once I started playing Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Advance 3; I realize others may disagree.

The ones for Gameboy Advance were good as they were closer to the original Sonic the Hedgehog video games. Even with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, I lost interest in that years and years ago and I realize how Sega should have made improvement yearly, by releasing video games similar to Sonic Adventure 2 Battle yearly, but better and making improvement each year. Instead they starting making terrible video games yearly and not making improvement to something that could have become a strong point for them and would have caused to people to possibly take Sonic the Hedgehog seriously; which is free roaming and opening the doors to open world game play.

Luka024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Luka024

Sonic's game play doesn't translate to "open world" 3D. The old ones always had some speed and flow to the levels. You can't do that without building a linear game. You want a good Sonic game? Download Sonic Dash.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

Actually I disagree.... Unlike other games that have arbitrarily become open world... I think in Sonic's case its a fantastic Idea.... Its all about mobility so even a lazy Open World would still good for the series...

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Pffrbt

@torenojohn7:

Not clicking the video. That guy is annoying and unfunny as ****.