Some of the must-play games on the original Xbox?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by XereoWarrior (158 posts) -

During the 6th generation of consoles I owned a PS2 and GC but never owned an original Xbox. Recently I acquired an orignal Xbox that I picked for a deal with a TV I bought. The only games I have right now are Halo 1, 2 and Amped Snowboarding. I'd like to play all the greatest games that I missed by passing up this console.

I'm just wondering what are some of the must-play games on the original Xbox?

#2 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -
  • PANZER DRAGOON ORTA
  • GUNVALKYRIE
  • CRAZY TAXY 3
  • OTOGI
  • JET SET RADIO FUTURE
  • SHENMUE II
#3 Posted by ScorpionTroll (842 posts) -

I don't know if most people would call these must play games, but they were some of my favorites.

Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders (RTS)

Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes (RTS)

Tenchu: Return from Darkness (stealth)

Fable (RPG)

Morrowind (RPG)

#4 Posted by Shenmue_Jehuty (5207 posts) -

- Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic II (the two best rpgs on the whole console, love them both)

- Shenmue II (the greatest game of all time imo, just make sure you get it with the Shenmue DVD if you haven't played the first Shenmue game yet)

- Max Payne (an excellent action game and just as good as the PC version imo)

- Outrun 2 (one of the best arcade-style racing games of its generation)

- Xyanide (it's a little hard to find, but its an amazing shooter with an excellent soundtrack)

many more great XBOX games (some of them mentioned already) but these are the best I've played on the system.

#5 Posted by jsmoke03 (12844 posts) -

kotor 1 & 2

#6 Posted by whitetiger3521 (4686 posts) -

Deathrow

#7 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -
  • Arx Fatalis - It's like the last sequel to Ultima: Underworld that never happened. Very fun first-person action-RPG with a high-emphasis on exploration. The only thing that really bothered me, is that there was very-liitle-to-no music.
  • Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge - A very fun 3D airplane shooting game. Very different from the average one, too. Set in what seems like the 1930s, with an area approach to the game where you take various missions, earn money, upgrade planes, and buy new planes. Lots of ariel dogfights, and a very pulp-magazine feel to it all.
  • Dungeons & Dragons: Heroes - A very fun hack-n-slash RPG in the same vein as Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (which I also I highly recommend for the XBox if you don't already have it on PS2 or Gamecube) that is exclusive to the XBox. Very Dungeons & Dragons inspiried in it's environments, enemies, and story-themes.
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition - The is the best game last generation, bar-none. Such a huge and open world to explore with so many things to do, yet it's also so very detailed.
  • Halo 1 & 2 - The obvious choices. And they're obvious for good reason. Very well made campaigns with great stories and tight controls, and fantastic multiplayer action.
  • Jade Empire - A very cool little RPG set in feudal China. It has a battle system that is linked to various marital arts techniques that you learn and hone through-out the game. It also has a choice system that influences you're character's abilities and the story's direction depending if you make a good decision or a bad decision.
  • MechAssault 1 & 2 - Very fun mech games with highly destructible environments, and multiple mechs to choose from.
  • Panzer Dragoon: Orta - An absolutely beautiful game, both fantastic visuals and amazing music. And great shooting action to keep it all flowing.
  • Tecmo Arcade Classics - A cool classic collection of Tecmo titles that was only released on XBox. Games include: Rygar, Starforce, Mighty Bomb Jack, Solomon's Key, Tecmo Bowl, and others.

Cool Multiplatform Games for XBox (usually the best version is on XBox, BTW):

• Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2
  • Capcom Classics Collection
  • Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
  • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
  • Mega Man Anniversary Collection
  • Mortal Kombat: Deception
  • Soul Calibur II
  • Spider-Man 1 & 2
  • Star Wars: Battlefront 1 & 2
  • Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
  • X-Men Legends 1 & 2
#8 Posted by jg4xchamp (47886 posts) -
Ninja Gaiden Black
#9 Posted by mariokart64fan (19450 posts) -

timesplitters 2 and 3 are good games  they are multiplat but on xbox if you dont own a 4 usb port ps3 you can put as many maps as the 8 or 12 gig hard drive can handle -depending on manufactur date of your xbox,  , if you got the bigger hdd you can do a little more but ya its an exclusive feature unless you got a ps3 bc w ps2 ,   the xbox versions of these are best  , close up is the gc versions but ya ,

theres also driv3r gta series ,  jet set radio future apex toca 2 /3   nascar 06    madden 06   , nfs most wanted  burnout revenge burnout 2 and 3 ,  alot of good games are better on xbox due to hdd and music 

#10 Posted by Lucianu (9387 posts) -

I highly recommend Buffy The Vampire Slayer and The Warriors, these are two excellent action games, and criminally underrated. Especially Buffy, you can check my review of it here.

Besides those, i can easily recommend the rest of my small collection (exception is CE, don't recommend it):

• Otogi: Myth of Demons
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • Timesplitters 3: Future Perfect
  • Burnout 3: Takedown
  • Jet Set Radio Future
  • Halo 2

Also you could add the games i myself am planning to get ASAP - Ninja Gaiden Black, Crimson Skies, Def Jam: Fight for NY, Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors and Darkwatch.

#11 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -
Lots of great suggestion here. Needs more Phantom Dust though.
#12 Posted by sukraj (22608 posts) -

return to castle wolfenstein

max payne 1 and 2

halo

darkwatch

fable

ninja gaiden

half life 2

doom 3

#13 Posted by WeskerTeam (1727 posts) -

star wars battlefront 2

jedi knight jedi academy

knights of the old republic 1 & 2

#14 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (1967 posts) -
Most of the great games on the xbox were great because of the multiplayer, so sadly you wont be able to experience games like halo 2 mp anymore. however, there are some really good single player games like: Oddworld strangers wrath knights of the old republic blinx the time sweeper jet set radio future dreamfall the longest journey panzer dragoon orta splinter cell series psychonauts crimson skies riddick escape from butcher bay ninja gaiden black fable the lost chapters jade empire shenmue 2 conker live and reloaded
#15 Posted by Senor_Kami (8380 posts) -

If you have a friend who will play it with you either split screen or lan, Phantom Dust is pretty great. Probably the best CCG style title ever made.  Jedi Academy is pretty awesome as well.  Some really fun swordplay in it too.

#16 Posted by NicetyNymsaj (24 posts) -
If you looking for a good FPS/ Multiplayer...Unreal Tournament Also, Star Wars Battlefront!
#17 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

Knights of the Old Republic 1&2 and Star Wars Republic Commando

#18 Posted by benleslie5 (7823 posts) -
  • Panzar Dragoon Orta
  • Dead or Alive 3
  • Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic
  • Oddworld Strangers Wrath
#19 Posted by Allicrombie (25197 posts) -
  • Panzar Dragoon Orta
  • Dead or Alive 3
  • Oddworld Strangers Wrath
benleslie5
Orta was great.
#20 Posted by thedork_knight (867 posts) -
All of the games above posters have mentioned. if you can find a copy of steel battlion with controller cheap, nab it
#21 Posted by Exceed20XX (1030 posts) -

Lots of great suggestion here. Needs more Phantom Dust though. Eikichi-Onizuka
Always.

#22 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Call of C'Thulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Crimson Skies

DOOM 3

#23 Posted by Byshop (11331 posts) -

Of the games suggested:

• Fable
  • Morrowind
  • KOTOR 1 and 2
  • Max Payne
  • Jade Empire
  • Doom 3
  • Jedi Academy
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Dreamfall
  • Riddick
  • Oddworld
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Call of Cthulhu

...are all multi-plat PC games. The Xbox versions of each of these games are generally not considered the best versions. I wouldn't bother with the Xbox versions of any of the above games unless you have no other way to play them.

These are the suggestions that are exclusive to the Xbox (or at least were not also PC games) that I recommend:

• Phantom Dust
  • Gun Valkyrie
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • Otogi
  • Shenmue II (the UK Dreamcast version is arguably better because it doesn't have the god awful English voice acting)
  • Jet Set Radio Future (not as good as its prequel)
  • Crimson Skies
  • Steel Battalion (pretty unique)

-Byshop

#24 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Of the games suggested:

• Fable
  • Morrowind
  • KOTOR 1 and 2
  • Max Payne
  • Jade Empire
  • Doom 3
  • Jedi Academy
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Dreamfall
  • Riddick
  • Oddworld
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Call of Cthulhu

...are all multi-plat PC games. The Xbox versions of each of these games are generally not considered the best versions. I wouldn't bother with the Xbox versions of any of the above games unless you have no other way to play them.

These are the suggestions that are exclusive to the Xbox (or at least were not also PC games) that I recommend:

• Phantom Dust
  • Gun Valkyrie
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • Otogi
  • Shenmue II (the UK Dreamcast version is arguably better because it doesn't have the god awful English voice acting)
  • Crimson Skies

-Byshop

Byshop

Is playing most of the games on a modern Windows 8 system easy? Windows 8 blows when it comes to compatibility and older games like that. With an XBox it's just put in the disc and play, and they're pretty easy and cheap to get a hold of on XBox at the moment.

And I'm not sure exactly what problems you're implying, but like every single one of those games have great versions on the XBox.

#25 Posted by Byshop (11331 posts) -

[QUOTE="Byshop"]

Of the games suggested:

• Fable
  • Morrowind
  • KOTOR 1 and 2
  • Max Payne
  • Jade Empire
  • Doom 3
  • Jedi Academy
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Dreamfall
  • Riddick
  • Oddworld
  • Unreal Tournament
  • Call of Cthulhu

• Phantom Dust
  • Gun Valkyrie
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • Otogi
  • Crimson Skies

-Byshop

Emerald_Warrior

Is playing most of the games on a modern Windows 8 system easy? Windows 8 blows when it comes to compatibility and older games like that. With an XBox it's just put in the disc and play, and they're pretty easy and cheap to get a hold of on XBox at the moment.

And I'm not sure exactly what problems you're implying, but like every single one of those games have great versions on the XBox.

I've tried about half the games on that list on my Win8 rig with no problems, and besides that I have no idea what version of Windows the TC has. While I agree that the Xbox version is a guaranteed, easy slam dunk, it's also pretty easy to jump on Steam or GOG and download a better version of a game without leaving one's house. There are plenty of interesting exclusives on the Xbox, but if you're looking for stuff to play on the Xbox then I recommend playing the stuff that you can't more easily play on PC.

Obviously it boils down to personal preference and the differences between the Xbox and PC versions of indiviudal games, but the PC versions of KOTOR 1 and 2 look much cleaner on PC and have significantly reduced loading times and better frame rates. Also, KOTOR 2 on the Xbox doesn't have the option of the Restored Content mod, which is a pretty cool addition to the game.

Riddik looks -much- better on PC, barely like a legacy game at all. Call of Cthulhu looked a little bit muddy on the Xbox compared to the PC version, plus the loading times were much better on PC. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath now has an HD re-release on PC and modern consoles. Doom 3 was pushing the limits of the Xbox generation when it came out as it was a AAA PC title. If I remember correctly, Battlefront had a scaled back online match size in the Xbox version, although that's probably a moot point even if it's correct since you'll never find a match on either platform today. I believe the Xbox version of UT had a similar issue, but I'm not 100% on that one either.

Jade Empire is a little bit more iffy. The PC version didn't really add much and I remember the KB/mouse controls being awkward.

A few other games that weren't mentioned that I did not mention because I did not recommend them also had some issues. Still Life on the Xbox's graphics were so muddled that I got stuck on a puzzle that I knew the solution to because I couldn't read the screen.

I didn't mention the Halo games because the PC versions were crappy ports.

-Byshop

#26 Posted by Domino_slayer (763 posts) -

Personally unless the game is a complete mess on the console I would take everything on console over PC, I can't stand playing games on PC, buggering about with loading up Windows, installing games, checking options, checking requirements etc. Horribly inferior experience to console gaming as far as I'm concerned.

And that's not even getting to the fact that I absolutely can't even stand the sight of PCs, I hate even having to use them for work, they constantly irritate and drive me crazy, and then I get calls from my parents at weekends after they've buggered up their PCs and I have to sit around fixing whatever problems they've caused, the last thing I want to see when I want to relax is a shitty PC.

On top of that the PC was the end of the era of cool computers, all the nifty, unique computers like the Amiga, C64, Spectrum, Atari XL's etc replaced by a crappy mass-market monopoly of souless, bland, MEH products.

#27 Posted by Byshop (11331 posts) -

Personally unless the game is a complete mess on the console I would take everything on console over PC, I can't stand playing games on PC, buggering about with loading up Windows, installing games, checking options, checking requirements etc. Horribly inferior experience to console gaming as far as I'm concerned.

And that's not even getting to the fact that I absolutely can't even stand the sight of PCs, I hate even having to use them for work, they constantly irritate and drive me crazy, and then I get calls from my parents at weekends after they've buggered up their PCs and I have to sit around fixing whatever problems they've caused, the last thing I want to see when I want to relax is a shitty PC.

On top of that the PC was the end of the era of cool computers, all the nifty, unique computers like the Amiga, C64, Spectrum, Atari XL's etc replaced by a crappy mass-market monopoly of souless, bland, MEH products.

Domino_slayer

Like I said, it's a matter of preference. Obviously if you dislike PCs then the PC version likely won't be your favorite. Many of the PC versions of the games I mentioned were released in the pre-360 era, so controller support on the PC versions was hit or miss. If you prefer using a controller instead of a keyboard or mouse, then that's another reason why the Xbox version might be better.

-Byshop

#28 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
- unreal championship & 2 are definitely worth checking out. the second is much different and not nearly as good, but it offers really good insight into the world of unreal. - of course, fable. - tony hawk pro skater 2x if you are interested in a few more levels and a more playable thps and thps2. - doom 3 is butchered (hours worth of gameplay cut out) and half-life 2 runs like ass. i would recommend you steer away from those.
#29 Posted by SonOfChewbacca (653 posts) -

- unreal championship & 2 are definitely worth checking out. the second is much different and not nearly as good, but it offers really good insight into the world of unreal. - of course, fable. - tony hawk pro skater 2x if you are interested in a few more levels and a more playable thps and thps2. - doom 3 is butchered (hours worth of gameplay cut out) and half-life 2 runs like ass. i would recommend you steer away from those.yellosnolvr

Are you sure about that? I thought they just split the levels up and scaled down some areas, but all of the levels were basically intanct? It's been a while since I played the Xbox version.

#30 Posted by Zen_Light (1235 posts) -

Panzer Dragoon Orta

KOTOR

Shenmue 2

JSRF

GTA SA

GTA VC

GTA 3

Jade Empire

Halo CE

Halo 2

Half Life 2

Ninja Gaiden Black

TES: Morrowind

#31 Posted by iorelk (12 posts) -

rogue trooper

silent hill2

conker reloaded

indigo profesy

el padrino

man hunt

second sig

metal gear sustance

castlevania curse of darknes

mortal kombat shaolin monks

red dead revolver

Red Ninja: End Of Honor

thief deadly shadown

Demon Stone

fatal frame

rouge troppers

dragon ball z sagas

dreamfall

davince code

jade empire

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (Game Of The Year Edition)

Enclave

Evil Dead Regeneration

genma onimusha

gun

half life

hitman

hitman 2

spilter cell123

Hunter The Reckoning: Redeemer

beyond good and evil

jade empire

just cause

dino crisis

Knights of the Temple 2

Legacy of Kain: Defiance

unreal tournamed 2

lord of the rings third age

ninja gaiden black

fatal frame

fatal framen 2

man hunt

gta 3

gta vice city

scare face

call of cutcluth dark corners

phanton dust

destroy all humants

destroy al humants2

nhl 2k7

need for speed the most wanted

need for speed carbon

syberia

Nightmare Before Christmas The (Tim Burtons

oscure

otogy myt of demons

PANZER DRAGOON ORTA

Painkiller: Hell Wars

Pirates of the Caribbean

Prince of Persia: The Warrior Within

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Predator: Concrete Jungle

007 Agent Under Fire

50 Cent Bulletproof 4/4

Aeon Flux (USA)

Arx Fatalis

Azurik: Rise Of Perathia

Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance

Baldur s Gate Dark Alliance II

black

black stone

Blade II

BloodRayne

BloodRayne 2

#32 Posted by fnevaeva (509 posts) -

Rainbow Six 3 if you love a realistic tactical shooter. probably better for pc if you're looking to play online since i believe origional xbox support for live was discontinued awhile back. Never the less, great campaign.

#33 Edited by Pffrbt (6553 posts) -

Jet Set Radio Future
Silent Hill 2
Otogi 2
Ninja Gaiden Black

#34 Posted by EPICCOMMANDER (459 posts) -

Well, when I was a kid I played a lot more Playstation and Gamecube than Xbox, but my favorites are:

Need For Speed: Most Wanted

Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2

#35 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (7425 posts) -

Burnout 3

Project Gotham Racing 1 and 2

Halo

#36 Posted by Some-Mist (5630 posts) -

metal slug 3. xbox port is one of the best ports (and it's one of the best metal slugs) following neo-geo.

amped 2 is awesome if you're into snowboarding. probably the best realistic snowboarding game ever created. I see that you have the original amped, but amped 2 > amped.

other people have listed the other titles I would've listed

#37 Posted by SpideR_CentS (4764 posts) -

Fable The Lost Chapters

Crimson Skies

Riddick Escape from Butcher's Bay

Knights of the Old Republic

Jade Empire

#38 Posted by bussinrounds (2127 posts) -

@fnevaeva said:

Rainbow Six 3 if you love a realistic tactical shooter. probably better for pc if you're looking to play online since i believe origional xbox support for live was discontinued awhile back. Never the less, great campaign.

Was thinking about picking this up, because I'm a big fan of Raven Shield on the pc and it would be nice to have on both, but sounds like the xbox version got dumbed down pretty bad with this one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy%27s_Rainbow_Six_3:_Raven_Shield

The most realistic tactical shooter you can get on the Xbox, gotta be Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis. Amazing sp campaign and expansion (Resistance) too.

#39 Posted by SpideR_CentS (4764 posts) -

Lots of great suggestion here. Needs more Phantom Dust though.

Still have an unopened copy of this game. Got it towards the end of the generation and then sold my OG Xbox.

#40 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

Old thread is old. Resurrecting 10 month old topics.... quit it.

#41 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5978 posts) -

Halo 1 & 2 of course. And Star Wars KOTOR.

#42 Posted by benleslie5 (7823 posts) -
  • Halo
  • Dead or Alive 3
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
#43 Posted by nicecall (428 posts) -

Halo, but get the remade 360 version, plays the same as original but looks much nicer. Most of the other games on the original xbox aren't worth playing.

Maybe Crimson Skies also.