So, who the hell is Tom Clancy?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GFahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 GFahim
Member since 2006 • 798 Posts
...there games like splinter cell and rainbow six that have this name at the beginning but who is he? is he the creator of these games or what?
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

...there games like splinter cell and rainbow six that have this name at the beginning but who is he? is he the creator of these games or what?GFahim

He's an author, kinda unrelated really. They just slap his name on products to make it seem good.

monie11k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 monie11k
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts

He co founded a video game company back in the day, Ubisoft owns it now and they still use his name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Storm_Entertainment

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#5 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
As others stated, hes a book author. Also some of been turned into movies, Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, Clear and Present Danger.
GFahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GFahim
Member since 2006 • 798 Posts
ok cool guys
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Read some of his books. They're great. I recommend "Without Remorse" and "The Sum of All Fears."
GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#8 GenTom
Member since 2005 • 5945 Posts
i believe he always was in the navy i think? for a long time
ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#9 ishoturface
Member since 2007 • 12460 Posts
hes an author alright but the games are based on his books which are splinter cell rainbow six and ghost recon and some others.
AaronThomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AaronThomas
Member since 2006 • 494 Posts
Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some gamers don't know Clancy, but I am. He also tried to (and maybe did, but I can't remember) buy part of the Minnesota Vikings at one point.
CrimsonpugTwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CrimsonpugTwo
Member since 2004 • 2220 Posts

Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some gamers don't know Clancy, but I am. He also tried to (and maybe did, but I can't remember) buy part of the Minnesota Vikings at one point.AaronThomas

He tried to, but his financial backers 'backed' out before the deal could go down.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
Not much of a reader are you?
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#13 Kazona
Member since 2003 • 1377 Posts

[QUOTE="AaronThomas"]Wow. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some gamers don't know Clancy, but I am. He also tried to (and maybe did, but I can't remember) buy part of the Minnesota Vikings at one point.CrimsonpugTwo

He tried to, but his financial backers 'backed' out before the deal could go down.

Yea, sorry about that, but I decided I rather spend my money on some tasty icecream. Sorry Tom, but it was just so yummy!!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

Unbelievable. How hard would it have been to do a web search for his name? He's a well-known author so you'd receive plenty of relevant results.

foxtrot_iv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxtrot_iv
Member since 2008 • 134 Posts
he's a sas legend who advises and decides themes on games and also writes novels
his most famous book is bravo-two-zero
foxtrot_iv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 foxtrot_iv

Read some of his books. They're great. I recommend "Without Remorse" and "The Sum of All Fears."Canvas_Of_Flesh

oh yer, i forgot that film was based on his book.. and i liked reading without remorse too :]]
what's that other book of his i'v read too.. it had a negative of a ak47 on the fromt cover.. which one was it.. i forgot, help me or i'll be thinking about it all night

nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

[QUOTE="Canvas_Of_Flesh"]Read some of his books. They're great. I recommend "Without Remorse" and "The Sum of All Fears."foxtrot_iv

oh yer, i forgot that film was based on his book.. and i liked reading without remorse too :]]
what's that other book of his i'v read too.. it had a negative of a ak47 on the fromt cover.. which one was it.. i forgot, help me or i'll be thinking about it all night

I would suggest doing a search for his books on Amazon. All the covers will come up as thumbnails, probably the fastest way for you to get your answer.

foxtrot_iv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxtrot_iv
[QUOTE="foxtrot_iv"]

[QUOTE="Canvas_Of_Flesh"]Read some of his books. They're great. I recommend "Without Remorse" and "The Sum of All Fears."nosferatu

I would suggest doing a search for his books on Amazon. All the covers will come up as thumbnails, probably the fastest way for you to get your answer.

good idea mate.. kudos for being a common scence genious :]]

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
I'd also suggest "Red Storm Rising." It provides a very believable senario of what it would have been like had the US and USSR went to war. It's still required reading at most US military academies.
Buyugold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Buyugold
Member since 2007 • 1074 Posts

He was born in Maryland he began a series of books starring Jack Ryan and these books sold a few million copies so he founded RedStorm entertainment to turn Rainbow Six into a game when this became successful he kept writing and they kept making games.

Hes a pretty wealthy guy

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Clancy
Jbul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Jbul
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

...there games like splinter cell and rainbow six that have this name at the beginning but who is he? is he the creator of these games or what?GFahim

Tom Clancy is a well-known writer of fictional literature based on real military technology and orginizations. The games that bear his name tend to be more realistic in the sense that they contain real military weapons, tactics, etc. He doesn't play a huge role in creating his games, but he does provide feedback, and they do require his approval.

In the past, his games were TOO tactical for some people, but his latest batch of Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon games have simplified their tactical aspects and streamlined their gameplay, making them more digestable (playable) for the mainstream.

Hope that helped.

ishoturface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#25 ishoturface
Member since 2007 • 12460 Posts

He was born in Maryland he began a series of books starring Jack Ryan and these books sold a few million copies so he founded RedStorm entertainment to turn Rainbow Six into a game when this became successful he kept writing and they kept making games.

Hes a pretty wealthy guy

Buyugold
i thought he was dead