So what's your favorite fighting game?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Lucianu (9443 posts) -

As for me, there was a time wen i was a huge fighting aficionado, digesting them left and right, and even though i slowed down quite a couple of notches over time, still have a number of favorites that i go to, there is one that i haven't put down.

The Guilty Gear XX series and all of its versions

Specifically Guilty Gear X2 Reload, that's the one i played religiously years ago, that's the one i'm always going to wen i need my fix, and that's the one i replay at least once a month (there's a huge SP story mode). Amazing music like this aswell. Overall, i love this game so much.

#2 Posted by Randolph (10542 posts) -

I don't really have a go to fighter at this point in time. As I've mentioned many times recently though, Killer Instinct looks all kinds of right up my alley.

#3 Posted by phoenix5352 (60 posts) -

the king of fighters series. there are many fighting games around but still kof is special and my favourite

#4 Edited by CoquiNegro (173 posts) -

Undoubtedly, Tekken 3. When it came out I spent hundreds of hours playing it with my friends, it was so addicting that it was impossible to put down. Not to mention the perfect production values and content that made the already addicting game, near flawless. I haven't been awed by any other fighting game since, though virtua fighter 4 perhaps is the best fighting game of the last decade.

#5 Posted by Arthas045 (5248 posts) -

#6 Edited by johnd13 (8219 posts) -

I almost never play fighting games but my favorite have to be Dead or Alive 4 and Super Smash Bros Brawl.

#7 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

Mechanically, I enjoy the Street Fighter games a lot.

But for sheer dumb fun, you can't beat MK. Sure, MK isn't high art or anything. It is crass and juvenile and sophomoric. It's often broken or unbalanced. But fun is fun, and MK is fun.

#8 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17215 posts) -

Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition

Virtua Fighter

Soul Calibur II

#9 Edited by iSpectatoR (47 posts) -

As much as I can remember, Guilty Gear X2 #Reload was the only fighting game I played.

I didn't know it was so popular back then, always thought it was another "small game that didn't get his success unfortunately"...

#10 Edited by dipdish (870 posts) -

Mortal Kombat, without a doubt.

#11 Edited by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

For me it was generally Tekken 2 or 3. Years ago of course but that was about the only series I got into pretty heavily. I've just kinda stopped playing fighters since then.

#12 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72273 posts) -

Dragonball Z: Budokai 3 without a doubt in my mind

#13 Edited by --Thomas-- (920 posts) -

@jer_1 said:

For me it was generally Tekken 2 or 3. Years ago of course but that was about the only series I got into pretty heavily. I've just kinda stopped playing fighters since then.

Tekken 2 and 3 are pretty damn awesome. Tekken Tag is probably the best one, though. I've spent a lot of time with all of them. Tried Tekken 6, but it wasn't the same... at all. They've changed the fighting way too much. It's like every character is covered with Flubber goo, because they bounce around like crazy. Too much bounce in the modern Tekken games.

#14 Edited by TheShadowLord07 (22139 posts) -

its more of beat em up but since its got fighting in it I'm going to say mortal kombat shaolin monks. I think its a game that more publishers like capcom, namco ,and temco should explore.

#15 Posted by sukraj (23040 posts) -

DOA3

#16 Posted by MirkoS77 (7580 posts) -

Street Fighter II and Samurai Shodown I &II. Fighters today are way too complex. It's like each character has 100+ moves. SF and SS were pretty basic and I find that the biggest factor to success was not how many moves one remembers but more so reaction times and positioning. Fighters are just too in-depth for me and I suck ass at them. But I'm unbeatable at SF II and SS.

Hatori Hanzo!!! Ippon!!

#17 Posted by meatz666 (17 posts) -

Currently is UMvsC3.

But I loved Samurai Showdown and Rival Schools.

#18 Edited by TAMKFan (32755 posts) -

The Tekken series

#19 Posted by jKryptonite (23 posts) -

It's World Heroes Perfect for me..it's just so classic, neogeo/snk at it's prime

#20 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

My two favorite fighting games of all time:

Dead or Alive 3 and Marvel Vs Capcom 2

#21 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

Street Fighter II is my all time favorite fighting game. I love the Street Fighter series.

#22 Posted by Lucianu (9443 posts) -

Damn, i didn't know that people loved DoA 3. I have DoA Ultimate Edition, but i didn't bother with 3. Since it's cheaper than dirt these days, i may aswell give it a shot and add it to my collection. Heard that all characters have a CGI ending, so that's a pretty sweet feature.

@iSpectatoR said:

As much as I can remember, Guilty Gear X2 #Reload was the only fighting game I played.

I didn't know it was so popular back then, always thought it was another "small game that didn't get his success unfortunately"...

Yeah, that's what i thought aswell before i got the net. I thought it was just a little unknown game, and then BAM, i was seeing praise and top ten lists mentions left and right.

#23 Posted by Tqricardinho (341 posts) -

Tekken 3 and Mortal Kombat 3. Those old-school fighting games were beast.

#24 Edited by chicknfeet (15629 posts) -

@Arthas045 said:

QFT

#25 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8039 posts) -

I've always liked fighting games and had fun with them but never spent mass amounts of time on them or gotten very good. (I used to be decent at Guilty Gear and Street Fighter but not as much now)

Some of my favorites are Capcom vs. SNK 2, Dead or Alive (2 Ultimate, 3, 5 Ultimate), Guilty Gear(X2 Reload, Accent Core), Street Fighter Alpha series, Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution.

#26 Edited by King9999 (11835 posts) -

In no order:

• Street Fighter series (I've enjoyed a lot of games in this series since SF2)
  • Rival Schools series
  • Virtua Fighter 5:Final Showdown
  • Marvel vs. Capcom 2

I'm really hoping for a new Rival Schools game, or at least Project Justice HD. The designer of the games expressed interest in making a new game, and I hope that happens.

#27 Edited by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

I couldn't call it a favorite, but I do hope that Injustice: Gods Among Us becomes another Netherrealm franchise. I'd love to see a sequel to it. It'd be easy to make another story to fit a similar structure as the first, and seeing as it's an Elseworld already then there is really no limit to what they could potentially do with a follow up.

It wasn't the best game ever or anything. I don't know that I'd put it in my top 5 fighters even. But it was fun, and the combo system was enjoyable to play around with. I was never as good as the high ranked players of course, but that's kinda part of the fun. I spent a good amount of time watching it on TWITCH and learned a lot from some of those players I followed.

#28 Edited by Randolph (10542 posts) -

@ZZoMBiE13 said:

I couldn't call it a favorite, but I do hope that Injustice: Gods Among Us becomes another Netherrealm franchise. I'd love to see a sequel to it. It'd be easy to make another story to fit a similar structure as the first, and seeing as it's an Elseworld already then there is really no limit to what they could potentially do with a follow up.

It wasn't the best game ever or anything. I don't know that I'd put it in my top 5 fighters even. But it was fun, and the combo system was enjoyable to play around with. I was never as good as the high ranked players of course, but that's kinda part of the fun. I spent a good amount of time watching it on TWITCH and learned a lot from some of those players I followed.

Well they have to make another Injustice game. I mean, if you played the story mode of Mortal Kombat 9... it's hard to see how they proceed forward from there. Unless they reboot the reboot. But if they do make another Injustice... it needs to have Superboy Prime. He would add a level of bloodthirsty buck wild unstoppable insanity to the story.