So what have you been playing this week?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Flubbbs (3417 posts) -

Ultima Online - player ran server :)

#52 Posted by Shinobishyguy (22508 posts) -

I'm almost done with Mario and Luigi: Dream team. Definitely recommend it to anyone that enjoys mario rpgs

#53 Posted by bruschi77 (0 posts) -
crysis 2, dishonered,
#54 Posted by Lucianu (9525 posts) -

Probably going to replay one of the Halo games later this week. Thinking about Halo 2, i loved that campaign, and it's been quite a few months since i've played it.

#55 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Been playing TMNT: Out of the Shadows for the last 3 days. It's awesome- 3 official game modes(4 if you count the survival challenge as it's own game mode). There are some odd design choices(the only online mode is campaign, Arcade mode is offline co op only, no unranked co op survival challenge), and the character upgrade system is convoluted in the extreme, but once you get the hang of the combat, the game is incredibly satisfying. Each of the turtles have their own strengths and weaknesses offering you the ability to select the character that conforms to your natural play style. Of course, this also means that there's a one-in-four chance that the turtle you're most comfortable with won't necessarily be your favorite unless you learn to adapt to the weaknesses of your favorite turtle. On the fun scale, it's head and shoulders above the likes of The Amazing Spiderman, but it doesn't approach the technical perfection of Batman: Arkham City. But then, it IS only an Arcade title.El_Zo1212o

Glad to hear good things. I didn't expect anything ground breaking but rather something fun. Too bad I have to wait another month to play it :P

It's appalling, the kind of reviews it's been getting. The game is hugely entertaining, and the upgrade system is also pretty convoluted, there's very little overlap from one turtle to the next. The upgrades are deeper in an action game than in most action RPGs. It really is a great game.

I just read some of the reviews on Metacritic, and they're making it out to be the worst game of the generation. Jeez.

I still want to play it for myself.

#56 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6032 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

Glad to hear good things. I didn't expect anything ground breaking but rather something fun. Too bad I have to wait another month to play it :P

IndianaPwns39

It's appalling, the kind of reviews it's been getting. The game is hugely entertaining, and the upgrade system is also pretty convoluted, there's very little overlap from one turtle to the next. The upgrades are deeper in an action game than in most action RPGs. It really is a great game.

I just read some of the reviews on Metacritic, and they're making it out to be the worst game of the generation. Jeez.

Yeah, the GI review was especially unfair. Online matches have a fair amount of lag, but even then the game works much more often than it doesn't- despite what the reviewer claims.
#57 Posted by MeRc_10 (41 posts) -

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD, DBZ UT, RE ORC, Marvel Nemesis

#58 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]It's appalling, the kind of reviews it's been getting. The game is hugely entertaining, and the upgrade system is also pretty convoluted, there's very little overlap from one turtle to the next. The upgrades are deeper in an action game than in most action RPGs. It really is a great game.El_Zo1212o

Yeah, the GI review was especially unfair. Online matches have a fair amount of lag, but even then the game works much more often than it doesn't- despite what the reviewer claims.

I'm interested to try it for myself just to determine which publications are honest and which ones aren't. Some are saying the game functions fine (even if they don't like it, mechanically, which is fine as that's a matter of opinion) while others are saying it's fundamentally broken. It either is or it isn't.

#59 Posted by lilasianwonder (5964 posts) -

Battlefield 3 and Tales of Xillia.

#60 Posted by edgewalker16 (2284 posts) -

Picked up Battlefield 3 from that insane Humble Bundle--the story, even by modern FPS standards, is shit.

#61 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4322 posts) -
Today I finished my second playthrough of Final Fantasy VIII. Also played a little bit of FFIV on Android while donating plasma and during lunch at school. And also a little bit of Hydrophbia Prophecy and Vanquish. Both have to be played in short doses!
#62 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6032 posts) -

IndianaPwns39

I'm interested to try it for myself just to determine which publications are honest and which ones aren't. Some are saying the game functions fine (even if they don't like it, mechanically, which is fine as that's a matter of opinion) while others are saying it's fundamentally broken. It either is or it isn't.

Considering how many people(myself included) consider the bugs bearable, I'd say 'fundamentally broken' (whether explicitly stated or strongly suggested) is the worst kind of hyperbole. I'm wondering whether or not the game as you get to play it will be the same game we got. If they patch the bugs out, the PS3 release will be far superior in it's launch-day form. But patched or not, I still call this my all-time #1 XBLA game.
#63 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

Picked up Battlefield 3 from that insane Humble Bundle--the story, even by modern FPS standards, is shit.

edgewalker16

Calling BF3's single player campaign "shit" is, quite frankly, an insult to shit. 

#64 Posted by Lucianu (9525 posts) -

Decided to give Halo CE another swirl later today, but this time on a higher difficulty. Maybe the challenge will make me more focused on the gunplay, rather than the shitty level design that made me quit.

#65 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8850 posts) -

[QUOTE="edgewalker16"]

IndianaPwns39

Calling BF3's single player campaign "shit" is, quite frankly, an insult to shit. 

You didn't actually pay money for Battlefield 3 just for the campaign? You bought it with the intention of playing the awesome multiplayer for many hours. Please tell me you did.
#66 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151913 posts) -
Final Fantasy 2 from Origins on the PlayStation actually.....
#67 Posted by sukraj (23489 posts) -

Played some Rage.

#68 Posted by edgewalker16 (2284 posts) -
[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="edgewalker16"]

speedfreak48t5p

You didn't actually pay money for Battlefield 3 just for the campaign? You bought it with the intention of playing the awesome multiplayer for many hours. Please tell me you did.

I didn't pay anything for BF3, I paid money for everything else. BF3 just happened to be in the same group.
#69 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="edgewalker16"]

speedfreak48t5p

No, of course not. I bought BF3 for the multiplayer and simply played the single player because it was there.

Doesn't make it any less shitty though.

#70 Posted by VGobbsesser (15614 posts) -

I've been playing a few games. Right now, I'm working on a Killer7 speed run, so I'm just going through the levels and working on some route optimization. I am also aiming to get Triple Perfects in Bit Trip Runner 2. Along with that, I am going through Super Meat Boy for the first time; I don't like it.

#71 Posted by Mo-licious (600 posts) -
Finished Saints Row 4 & Sleeping Dogs. Oh and a some Borderlands 2 DLC coop with the hubby. Good times! :)
#72 Posted by HipHopBeats (2933 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption and Battlefield 3. I had Red Dead Redemption sitting on my shelf for months and can't believe I overlooked it for so long. Tried it out a few times but got distracted by other games in my backlog.

Battlefield 3 is just plain tactical shoot em up fun. Wish they had better co op matches though.

I'm also going to finish up DD Dark Arisen and start a new Skyrim campaign with the intent of actually finishing the main quest this time.

#73 Posted by Neoguru25 (483 posts) -

Mass Effect 2. I'm amazed at how much better it is than the first game in almost every way possible.

#74 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

Got through RDR Undead Nightmare. Good stuff.

#75 Posted by MiguelNoche (183 posts) -

I just completed Splinter Cell Blacklist - listed it on ebay and started Kingdoms of Amalur Reckining.

#76 Posted by chicknfeet (15629 posts) -
Almost done with Saint's Row 4. I think i'm at or near the last mission. I'm debating if i want to jump over to Batman AC or Sleepy Dogs next
#77 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8850 posts) -

Finished Far Cry 3 and going to begin Fallout New Vegas

#78 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

I've started playing through GTA4 again, and its making me even more excited about GTA5's upcoming release!

#79 Posted by sukraj (23489 posts) -

Played some Far Cry 3 tonight.

#80 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Yeah, the GI review was especially unfair. Online matches have a fair amount of lag, but even then the game works much more often than it doesn't- despite what the reviewer claims.El_Zo1212o

Considering how many people(myself included) consider the bugs bearable, I'd say 'fundamentally broken' (whether explicitly stated or strongly suggested) is the worst kind of hyperbole. I'm wondering whether or not the game as you get to play it will be the same game we got. If they patch the bugs out, the PS3 release will be far superior in it's launch-day form. But patched or not, I still call this my all-time #1 XBLA game.

It depends on the review. IGN giving the game a 6.1 and stating that it's good fun for those more bug tolerant seems fair to me. The publication is stating that there are technical issues (which the community agrees with) but the game itself is still fun. 

Game Informer, however, gave the game a whopping 2 and the entire review reads like some hyperbolic nightmare. For example, under the "Graphics" quick summary it reads "The turtle designs are terrible, and the environments would be bland for a PSone game" which just seems ridiculous. He also said it's among the worst gameplay experiences he's ever had, which just makes me assume he wasn't the same guy who had to review Mindjack.

The PS3 version might have a month of extra polish, even if I doubt it, but I can tolerate bugs (I have the Platinum trophy for Skyrim as proof of this) and while I think it's good that official publications are mentioning said bugs, it still sounds like a fun game.

#81 Posted by HipHopBeats (2933 posts) -

Mass Effect 2. I'm amazed at how much better it is than the first game in almost every way possible.

Neoguru25

Agreed. The only thing that may be better about Mass Effect 1 is the story, the Mako control and the rpg elements. The combat sucks.

#82 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6032 posts) -
[QUOTE="chicknfeet"]Almost done with Saint's Row 4. I think i'm at or near the last mission. I'm debating if i want to jump over to Batman AC or Sleepy Dogs next

Wow. Whichever way you go, you can't lose. Both are oustanding games for knocking badguy teeth in.

It depends on the review. IGN giving the game a 6.1 and stating that it's good fun for those more bug tolerant seems fair to me. The publication is stating that there are technical issues (which the community agrees with) but the game itself is still fun. 

Game Informer, however, gave the game a whopping 2 and the entire review reads like some hyperbolic nightmare. For example, under the "Graphics" quick summary it reads "The turtle designs are terrible, and the environments would be bland for a PSone game" which just seems ridiculous. He also said it's among the worst gameplay experiences he's ever had, which just makes me assume he wasn't the same guy who had to review Mindjack.

The PS3 version might have a month of extra polish, even if I doubt it, but I can tolerate bugs (I have the Platinum trophy for Skyrim as proof of this) and while I think it's good that official publications are mentioning said bugs, it still sounds like a fun game.

IndianaPwns39
I still think a 61 is pretty low, but not unfairly so. Averaging the bug infested current experience against what it's like when the game is working properly, I'd be hard-pressed to give it less than a 70. Bug free it would easily make a 90+. Yeah, the campaign is short at 4 missions, but it's all combat and melee combat games- most especially the modern beatem up- are my favorite and this one improves on most of the conventions, even if it's execution comes up a bit short. Not to mention the 2 other full gameplay modes and a moderate suite of challenges.
#83 Posted by Jagged3dge (3895 posts) -

I was playing some older games like Red Faction and The Saboteur.  With occassionally my favorite online MP, Shadowrun.

#84 Posted by t1striker (1549 posts) -

I've been playing through Valkyria chronicles again and have started Valkyria chronicles 2 for the first time.

#85 Posted by Jehuty08 (1951 posts) -

I've been playing through Valkyria chronicles again and have started Valkyria chronicles 2 for the first time.

t1striker

VC2 Does not get enough love IMO. Storywise, the first one is way better, but gameplay wise, I give it to VC2

started playing tales of Graces again (Only 2 more games before Ive recovered fromlast years YLOD), the walking dead (VITA) and atelier totori plus. Just picked up kickbeat today, have not started it yet

#86 Posted by Ne-Plus-Ultra (248 posts) -

Splinter Cell Blacklist. Great game.Baroni88

#87 Posted by isv666 (114 posts) -

Been snagging the games off the "Games with Gold" thing.  So I finished up Assassin's Creed 2 and been messing around with Dead Rising 2 and Crackdown.  Also snagged that last Humble Bundle so been messing around with The Sims 3 and Dead Space.  World of Warcraft is always on my playlist.  And too broke to afford anything new and full price (looking at you, SR4).

#88 Posted by Lucianu (9525 posts) -

Still playing Halo: Combat Evolved on Legendary Difficulty. Quite the challenge, and a very enjoyable one. I actually died a number of times (which never happened to me on the Normal one), but quickly adapted after each death situation, and managed to take the enemies down using different approaches.

The repetitive level design isn't that much of a hinder because i'm completely focused on the gunplay. Will continue, the difficulty really changes everything.

#89 Posted by RimacBugatti (1287 posts) -
Im not playing anything right now because PS3 is packed away and 360 needs a headset to fit my standards and my PC needs a second power supply so I can hook up some extra cooling fans because its crashing from running hotter than my cut off preset temperatures. I was playing Metro Last Light as my most recent game.
#90 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
my will is too weak to stop myself from slaving in mount and blade. what have i become?!?! :cry:
#91 Posted by jsmoke03 (13036 posts) -

sw:tfu2

its okay. its not as bad as people make it out to be. maybe not trying to push the envelope much from the first game, but i like how they improved the force power aiming. its still not perfect but it isnt as irritating as the the first game.

#92 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6032 posts) -
my will is too weak to stop myself from slaving in mount and blade. what have i become?!?! :cry:LoG-Sacrament
Your greed is ruining entirely fictional, digital lives. SHAME ON YOU!!
#93 Posted by Mrod1212 (1157 posts) -

Splinter cell and some Killer Is Dead.

#94 Posted by bl00dline954 (102 posts) -

Black Ops 2. I have been on a mission since getting it 6 weeks ago. I've put in crazy hours to see how fast I can get prestige master and I'm currently at level 49 of prestige 8 so I am getting close to finishing. 

#95 Posted by sukraj (23489 posts) -

Haven't played any games today.

#96 Posted by bl00dline954 (102 posts) -

Haven't played any games today.

sukraj
He didn't ask about today, he asked about this week lol
#97 Posted by mooooo99 (1249 posts) -

i have been finishing up rayman origins for the ps3, hopefully picking legends up at somepoint soon.. and continuing with new little kings story on the vita, picked it up as a ps plus free game but enjoyed to much so i had to buy it..

#98 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
Sims 3, RE5, Blazblue: Continuum Shift 2, Skyrim and Borderlands 2.
#99 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

Skyrim still.  Maybe a quarter of the way through the main quest.  Pretty much everything else, the civil war quest, guild quests and DLC's are done.  Got a ton of sidequests and stuff left of course.

#100 Posted by darkmoney52 (4309 posts) -

A lot of Skyrim. I recently found out it actually runs fine on my (not in any way meant for gaming) laptop, so I've been playing it with some mods I've been looking at for a long time. Also doing some X360 Diablo 3 with the ladyfriend. Really psyched to have a good couch co-op RPG, haven't had it since Champions of Norrath on the PS2.