So what do you think about GamespotĀ“s latest Review-Ratings ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Poll So what do you think about GamespotĀ“s latest Review-Ratings ? (23 votes)

I fully trust into Gamespot reviews and they are mostly fair!!! 39%
Gimme a break! Most reviews are a joke! 22%
I havent seen such a bunch of unfair reviews on any other site lately 17%
I think those reviewers rate the games depending on their mood only 22%

Ok this is MY OPINION but i know some guys here share it, well lets get to the point:

Every half decent game lately got harsh reviews with 5-6, certain good games are getting a 6 pretty often....

...and now BAYONETTA 2...another DMC CLONE, gets a friggin 10 ???!!!!

Yeah i know its a great game (at least for the WIIU), but a 10 ? Looks like the best game in the world of 2014 is a WIIU game after all.

you gotta be fuckin kiddin me

..and i am aware that gamespot wasnt the only one giving BAYONETTA 2 such a perfect rating, there are other mags as well, but the difference is those other mags arent so harsh on other games as gamespot is

• 
mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

It's not the same reviewer ...if it was Kevin reviewing this i'm sure it'd be 9 at max or even 8....

Eurogamer ā€“ 9/10

Polygon ā€“ 7.5/10

IGN ā€“ 9.5/10

Gamespot ā€“ 10/10

Metro ā€“ 9/10

Joystiq ā€“ 5/5

The Sixth Axis ā€“ 9/10

Nintendo Life ā€“ 9/10

Eurogamer.de ā€“ 10/10

Insidegames.ch ā€“ 85%

Lazy Gamer ā€“ 9/10

ITF Gaming ā€“ 10/10

CVG 9/10

Simply the GOTY.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By sabretooth2066
Member since 2013 • 402 Posts

@mjorh said:

It's not the same reviewer ...if it was Kevin reviewing this i'm sure it'd be 9 at max or even 8....

Eurogamer ā€“ 9/10

Polygon ā€“ 7.5/10

IGN ā€“ 9.5/10

Gamespot ā€“ 10/10

Metro ā€“ 9/10

Joystiq ā€“ 5/5

The Sixth Axis ā€“ 9/10

Nintendo Life ā€“ 9/10

Eurogamer.de ā€“ 10/10

Insidegames.ch ā€“ 85%

Lazy Gamer ā€“ 9/10

ITF Gaming ā€“ 10/10

CVG 9/10

Simply the GOTY.

i already mentioned it, its not about BAYONETTAĀ“s great ratings, i know it got those on other sites as well..now other sites dont bash on other games like it happens on gamespot all the time lately, on gamespot it gets a 10 while other decent games gets a 5-6 and sometimes even a 7, shit even GTA 5 got a 9 "only".

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mjorh

@sabretooth2066 said:

@mjorh said:

Eurogamer ā€“ 9/10

Polygon ā€“ 7.5/10

IGN ā€“ 9.5/10

Gamespot ā€“ 10/10

Metro ā€“ 9/10

Joystiq ā€“ 5/5

The Sixth Axis ā€“ 9/10

Nintendo Life ā€“ 9/10

Eurogamer.de ā€“ 10/10

Insidegames.ch ā€“ 85%

Lazy Gamer ā€“ 9/10

ITF Gaming ā€“ 10/10

CVG 9/10

Simply the GOTY.

i already mentioned it, its not about BAYONETTAĀ“s great ratings, i know it got those on other sites as well..now other sites dont bash on other games like it happens on gamespot all the time lately, on gamespot it gets a 10 while other decent games gets a 5-6 and sometimes even a 7, shit even GTA 5 got a 9 "only".

You're being over sensitive about the "numbers" , it's just subjective i mean for instance in my mind 8 is great , 9 is awesome , 10 is masterpiece , 7 is good etc , but some else may consider 8 to be awesome , or 5 to be average and stuff , what matters is the review content ...maybe a game lacking in story or lacking in graphics department is not important for somebody , you gotta read the review to see if the game lacks somewhere which you care the most then simply you don't pick it up no matter if it's got 8 or 9 or sth ....

Kevin reviewed the last couple of triple A titles and as we all know he's not generous when it comes to numbers, when he gives 6 i consider the game to be 8 actually....

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I've noticed a change in GS's reviews as of late.....probably started about a month or so ago. Seemingly right around the time they laid off a bunch of people. There was a time a few years ago where they were much more liberal in giving out higher scores, then that changed and it became very rare to see a 9, much less anything higher. Then, all of a sudden we have an influx of games a few weeks back garnering decent scores, 9 and up, and our first 10 in years.

Just feels like something has changed. Don't think it'd be too far to say new arrivals have again made GS a bit more lenient in their critiques.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#5 WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

Kevin butchered bunch of games including Destiny and DriveClub. its good to see someone else reviewed Bayoneta 2. It was a great read, without the score itself. Even with game cons it wasnt butchered by your own hatred for particular style of game.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Planeforger  Online
Member since 2004 • 19568 Posts

Shouldn't you completely agree with this score? It's a game that sidelines story for totally brilliant gameplay.

It's being hailed as one of the best action games of all time, and is an easy lock for GOTY - what about the 10/10 sounds wrong there?

@sabretooth2066 said:

shit even GTA 5 got a 9 "only".

GTA 5 had way too many flaws at launch to deserve a perfect score. The online mode was unfinished (and even when they eventually launched it, it was broken), the wanted system was much less fun than the previous games, and two-thirds of the protagonists are really, really boring.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Samething I've always thought about their ratings.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mjorh

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Samething I've always thought about their ratings.

Conspiracy ? :P

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu

@mjorh

Nope..... Just another Oppinion. :)

although to be fair, these oppinion can make or break studios.

nirzor07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nirzor07
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts

I personally found Gamespot's reviews to reflect what I felt after the game after I played it.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#12  Edited By SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Who knows, maybe it really is a 10/10 game
10 isn't perfect here btw, rather represents excellence in design

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I've noticed a change in GS's reviews as of late.....probably started about a month or so ago. Seemingly right around the time they laid off a bunch of people. There was a time a few years ago where they were much more liberal in giving out higher scores, then that changed and it became very rare to see a 9, much less anything higher. Then, all of a sudden we have an influx of games a few weeks back garnering decent scores, 9 and up, and our first 10 in years.

Just feels like something has changed. Don't think it'd be too far to say new arrivals have again made GS a bit more lenient in their critiques.

Not to mention two games getting pretty badly underscored compared to everyone else.

gbus316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gbus316
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

I havent really disagreed with their ratings in a while. Agree with Alien and Destiny.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sabretooth2066

@mjorh said:

@sabretooth2066 said:

@mjorh said:

Eurogamer ā€“ 9/10

Polygon ā€“ 7.5/10

IGN ā€“ 9.5/10

Gamespot ā€“ 10/10

Metro ā€“ 9/10

Joystiq ā€“ 5/5

The Sixth Axis ā€“ 9/10

Nintendo Life ā€“ 9/10

Eurogamer.de ā€“ 10/10

Insidegames.ch ā€“ 85%

Lazy Gamer ā€“ 9/10

ITF Gaming ā€“ 10/10

CVG 9/10

Simply the GOTY.

You're being over sensitive about the "numbers"

oh way not! i actually absolutely do not care about those damn numbers and those reviews in general, i always play those games and get my own opinion together, thats what i also always tell other people to do...just dont listen to those reviews

BUT.....

people these days generally seem to trust too much into those retarded numbers..or those moronic percentage-ratings like 61%, so those reviewers can actually damage certain titles/studios/developers with their low ratings and thats tragic because there are studios/developers who just dont deserve that....and its a fact that a growing number of "good" games are getting punished with harsh critics and low scores on gamespot

i mean seriously give me a break...RAMBO THE VIDEO GAME...a mindless dumb shitty bad RAILSHOOTER, only intended to make money out of its title, is voted for the shittiest video game of 2014 on many magazines and all forums but on gamespot it got a friggin 6 while BATMAN ARKHAM ORIGINS got a 7 and on and on...gamespot reviews are full with examples like that.

you gotta be fuckin kiddin me when you wanna tell me that gamespotĀ“s rating system is generally credible these days

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I don't bother with numbered reviews anymore. How do you truly quantify a game's overall quality with a number that could very well mean anything you want it to? I'd rather a review just point out the pros and cons without a number tied to it, and give an overall verdict of, say, "own it" if it's truly worth your time, or "avoid it" if it's just not good at all.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Planeforger  Online

@sabretooth2066 said:

i mean seriously give me a break...RAMBO THE VIDEO GAME...a mindless dumb shitty bad RAILSHOOTER, only intended to make money out of its title, is voted for the shittiest video game of 2014 on many magazines and all forums but on gamespot it got a friggin 6 while BATMAN ARKHAM ORIGINS got a 7 and on and on...gamespot reviews are full with examples like that.

Why didn't you talk about those examples in your first post, rather than talking about Bayonetta 2?

Bayonetta 2 is getting very high praise everywhere (except Polygon, who thought it was too sexist), and Gamespot is one of eight sources so far to give it a perfect score. It is, by all accounts, a very good game, so Gamespot's score for the game doesn't put Gamespot's credibility into question.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mjorh

@sabretooth2066 said:

@mjorh said:

@sabretooth2066 said:

@mjorh said:

Eurogamer ā€“ 9/10

Polygon ā€“ 7.5/10

IGN ā€“ 9.5/10

Gamespot ā€“ 10/10

Metro ā€“ 9/10

Joystiq ā€“ 5/5

The Sixth Axis ā€“ 9/10

Nintendo Life ā€“ 9/10

Eurogamer.de ā€“ 10/10

Insidegames.ch ā€“ 85%

Lazy Gamer ā€“ 9/10

ITF Gaming ā€“ 10/10

CVG 9/10

Simply the GOTY.

You're being over sensitive about the "numbers"

oh way not! i actually absolutely do not care about those damn numbers and those reviews in general, i always play those games and get my own opinion together, thats what i also always tell other people to do...just dont listen to those reviews

BUT.....

people these days generally seem to trust too much into those retarded numbers..or those moronic percentage-ratings like 61%, so those reviewers can actually damage certain titles/studios/developers with their low ratings and thats tragic because there are studios/developers who just dont deserve that....and its a fact that a growing number of "good" games are getting punished with harsh critics and low scores on gamespot

you gotta be fuckin kiddin me when you wanna tell me that gamespotĀ“s rating system is generally credible these days

Yeah, you've got a point.

But i don't think these numbers have a considerable effect on sales u know ...

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sabretooth2066

@Planeforger said:

@sabretooth2066 said:

Why didn't you talk about those examples in your first post, rather than talking about Bayonetta 2?

there are a shitload of examples where i can tell from an unfair rating a game got here i dont even know where to start, but bayonetta is the most actual case,

gamers storming the review and posting 1700 messages by now, full of people who cannot understand a rating this high ON GAMESPOT...those other mags rating the game so high is not the problem since those mags arent so harsh on certain games like gamespot mostly is

another example, well we all know RYSE isnt that great, it has just great graphics but a repetitive gameplay, but anyway in my and many others opinion this game dont really deserves a 5...ESPECIALLY when you remember the rating of RAMBO THE VIDEOGAME (6), and i really dont think the reviewer of RYSE ever thought about that RYSE IS NOT worse than RAMBO THE VIDEOGAME

it just looks to me there are some good reviewers here not being too harsh, and others who are way too harsh on certain games, that causes something like the rating on RAMBO THE VIDEOGAME which looks better here than many other really decent games

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44148 Posts

I voted that I fully trust Gamespot reviews.

I'm so pumped for Bayonetta 2. This is why I recently picked up a Wii U and it's going to be sooooooo worth it. The Queen of action games is back and in a possible Game of the Year to boot.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Reviews are just people's opinions. Not some fact. If I even look at a review it's to read the overall picture. A number is meaningless since there is no standard, and each genre is reviewed differently.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sabretooth2066

@coasterguy65 said:

Reviews are just people's opinions. Not some fact. If I even look at a review it's to read the overall picture. A number is meaningless since there is no standard, and each genre is reviewed differently.

tell that to the people who read a score of 5 and decide not to buy the game instead of at least giving it a chance

in this case i cant blame the reviewer at all if people are this easy to manipulate, but a reviewer should be aware that his review could rise or drop gamesales or influence many gamers who cant afford to buy every game out there and risking it buying a shitty game for 60 bucks

here is a case of another pretty unfair review/reviewer: the game STYX - MASTER OF SHADOWS, many people and other mags think this game is good, the gamespot reviewer bashed it and didnt even mention that this game is only sold at 20-30 bucks and thats a damn difference if you rate a game being worth 60 or 30 bucks, at least that matter should be taken into the review but instead the gamespot reviewer just bashed and bashed it....i dont even think about why the hell he complains about a bad COMBAT SYSTEM when COMBAT is the last thing you should do in a HARDCORE STEALTH GAME like styx - masters of shadows, another thing why this is one of the most fucked up reviews here lately

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

I never understand the endless posts here from people criticizing Gamespot's review scores on games without having played (and completed) the game themselves. Play it yourself, then criticize, then I might be more interested in hearing your opinion.

undeadgoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 undeadgoon
Member since 2006 • 706 Posts

i dont really take much notice of the final score that anyone gives a game . i watch the reviews for the gameplay..

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

@undeadgoon

I use to download the videos so I could analize them frame by frame.....

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

When a game like Bayonetta 2 which is WiiU exclusive gets a 10 you know there is something fishy about it

But i am not surprised at the scores this game got, after all those Wiiu Fanboys need to have something to boast about.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Planeforger  Online

@Jacanuk said:

When a game like Bayonetta 2 which is WiiU exclusive gets a 10 you know there is something fishy about it

On Metacritic, it has nine perfect scores, six scores above 90, and thirteen 90s.

The general consensus is that it's a really great game. I was very impressed with the demo, so I'm not terribly surprised by the 10.

So...what's fishy about it? Are you just in denial over the fact that a console you've disregarded actually has one of the best action games in recent years?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mjorh

@Qixote said:

I never understand the endless posts here from people criticizing Gamespot's review scores on games without having played (and completed) the game themselves. Play it yourself, then criticize, then I might be more interested in hearing your opinion.

He actually meant that popular websites like GS, which can affect the decision-making process of purchasing a game, should be more careful with rating the games ...maybe a professional gamer like you wouldn't be like " oh my god GS gave it 5 so it's fuckin terrible " , but a lotta ppl say stuff like this and it kinda makes the atmosphere pretty intense in a negative way ...

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

Bayonetta 1 was one of if not the best game in its genre and definitely the best game in its genre of the generation. If Bayonetta 2 is indeed Bayonetta 1 but better, I'm not surprised it got a 10. Bayonetta was a sublime gameplay experience if you like character action games. The gameplay is bliss and they nailed everything they were going for tonally.

@mjorh said:

@Qixote said:

He actually meant that popular websites like GS, which can affect the decision-making process of purchasing a game, should be more careful with rating the games ...maybe a professional gamer like you wouldn't be like " oh my god GS gave it 5 so it's fuckin terrible " , but a lotta ppl say stuff like this and it kinda makes the atmosphere pretty intense in a negative way ...

Yeah... but not really. How many people really are arguing on forums about Gamespot scores? Like maybe 100,000 people across every US site? That's like 2% of the market tops. Nobody cares. 100K ain't making a dent on anything. Destiny got bad score and it s sold gangbusters. Some other game got great scores and didn't sell shit.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mjorh

@Senor_Kami said:

Bayonetta 1 was one of if not the best game in its genre and definitely the best game in its genre of the generation. If Bayonetta 2 is indeed Bayonetta 1 but better, I'm not surprised it got a 10. Bayonetta was a sublime gameplay experience if you like character action games. The gameplay is bliss and they nailed everything they were going for tonally.

@mjorh said:

@Qixote said:

Yeah... but not really. How many people really are arguing on forums about Gamespot scores? Like maybe 100,000 people across every US site? That's like 2% of the market tops. Nobody cares. 100K ain't making a dent on anything. Destiny got bad score and it s sold gangbusters. Some other game got great scores and didn't sell shit.

Yeah, i mentioned the same thing above :

But i don't think these numbers have a considerable effect on sales u know ..

+

There are tons of other games which got bad scores and kinda were "flop" but they sold pretty well ...

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Depends on the reviewer. Like Nick gave dead rising 3(PC) a score of 3/10 for shitty reasons. Though I enjoy and trust reviews from other reviewers here in GS like MR Vanord and Mark.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

The last 8 years they've been crap, they aren't as bad as Kotaku but they've been slowly working their way up the crap o meter.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

The Last Of Us got only an 8 here on gamespot and it truly deserved way more. Destiny got only a 6 and that game should at least be an 8 from my point of view. They mess up ratings here on GS from time to time i have noticed but still it's their point of view and people should respect that. One single review don't mean to much, it's the metacritic that counts and what you should be looking at.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

even the reviewer says story is meh, and there were frame-rate issues, it should've been 9/10, since its not perfect even for the reviewer.

i liked the fact gs didnt gave 9/10 to every good game like other sites. But i dont play games just for their score for last few years

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sabretooth2066

@mjorh said:

@Senor_Kami said:

@mjorh said:

@Qixote said:

Yeah, i mentioned the same thing above :

But i don't think these numbers have a considerable effect on sales u know ..

+

There are tons of other games which got bad scores and kinda were "flop" but they sold pretty well ...

...i just have to think about the COD series, it may not get bad reviews but when i look at metacritic or amazon reviews with the shitstorm every COD release causes and thousands of people complaining about the same old shit every year again....but still someone obviously buys the game or it wouldnt be such a success depending on sales every year.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Planeforger  Online

@humanistpotato:

He never said the game was perfect. He simply said it was easily one of the best action games of all time, and was doubtful that any game coukd ever top it - so how can that score anything less than a 10/10?

Remember reviews don't start from 10 and work backwards. The score simply reflects how the reviewer felt about the game. Apparently he loved every minute of the game, he thought the absurd story added to the charm, and he didn't feel as if the framerate drops affected his enjoyment of the game in any significant way. So the 10 makes sense, when you read the review.

sabretooth2066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 sabretooth2066

@Planeforger said:

@humanistpotato:

He never said the game was perfect. He simply said it was easily one of the best action games of all time

and thats another problem with those damn review rating numbers, people cant compare an action game with an adventure, RPG or a pure puzzler, but regardless of that fact overall review rating numbers make it look like that in this case GAYONETTA is better than any other game WHEN ITS REALLY NOT, it may has its throne under the same category of action games but not under ALL games being released